Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Okay, in for another year! I blew my 2015 goals away kind of easily, so I think I need to set my goals a little higher this year. I'm turning 26 this year, and that means no more mooching off my parents' insurance, so things are gonna get a little rougher! Here's what I've got:

DESIRED ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
- Increase gross income to $[redacted]k ($[redacted+10k] with reimbursements).
- Put $10,000 in 401k (edited down from $15,000 12/30, I'm looking for new, more expensive, but more tenable living arrangements)
- Max ROTH IRA.
- Take and pass the EIT exam.
- Move to a place closer to work while keeping my total housing expenses under $1.3k/mo.
- Take a dang vacation without feeling guilty.
- Stay the hell outta debt.
- Finish 4 more classes with Bs or better for that sweet sweet free education :911:

ONGOING GOALS:
- Date without breaking the bank (subjective).
- Limit alcohol spending to $30/month.
- Limit video game spending to $25/month.
- Limit Fast Food to 1 Purchase per month.
- Keep constant on YNAB -- 18 months and counting!

STRETCH GOALS:
- Max out 401k
- Put another $10,000 towards general savings (house in 2017? We shall see)
- Reach $[redacted]k net worth
- Keep my 4.0 GPA

Not a Children fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

First month update!

Not a Children posted:

DESIRED ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
- Increase gross income to $[redacted]k ($[redacted+10]k with reimbursements). On track.
- Put $10,000 in 401k (edited down from $15,000 12/30, I'm looking for new, more expensive, but more tenable living arrangements) On track. Will probably raise my contribution later in the year.
- Max ROTH IRA. Put in $3000 at the beginning of the year, and I'll be happy to roll over an old 401k into a ROTH IRA to finish it off now that there's been a huge dip.
- Take and pass the EIT exam. Studying! Gonna see if my work won't pay for me to take a course before I actually take the exam.
- Move to a place closer to work while keeping my total housing expenses under $1.3k/mo. Failed so far. Due to roommate drama, I broke lease and moved back in with my parents, so I'm saving an absolute shitload of money... while having a 35-50 minute commute. And living with my parents, while dating. Ugh.
- Take a dang vacation without feeling guilty. Might be going to Orlando this July?!
- Stay the hell outta debt. Donezo.
- Finish 4 more classes with Bs or better for that sweet sweet free education :911: On track.

ONGOING GOALS:
- Date without breaking the bank (subjective). Been a little more spendy than I'd like, but well within a reasonable budget.
- Limit alcohol spending to $30/month. Broken last month, bought $40 worth of booze to brave the blizzard with snobby beer.
- Limit video game spending to $25/month. On track.
- Limit Fast Food to 1 Purchase per month. On track
- Keep constant on YNAB -- 18 months and counting! On track.

STRETCH GOALS:
- Max out 401k This could happen! Depends on how my yearly raise goes.
- Put another $10,000 towards general savings (house in 2017? We shall see) This should be accomplished extremely easily.
- Reach $[redacted]k net worth On track!
- Keep my 4.0 GPA On track.

Not a Children fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 2, 2016

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

DESIRED ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
- Increase gross income to $[redacted]k ($[redacted+10]k with reimbursements). I'll know next month!
- Put $10,000 in 401k (edited down from $15,000 12/30, I'm looking for new, more expensive, but more tenable living arrangements) On track. Could potentially match depending on my living situation.
- Max ROTH IRA. $3000 in. Gonna wait til my tuition reimbursement to put the other $2500 in
- Move to a place closer to work while keeping my total housing expenses under $1.3k/mo. Still looking!
- Take a dang vacation without feeling guilty. Planning a trip to Miami this summer!
- Stay the hell outta debt. Very yes.
- Finish 4 more classes with Bs or better for that sweet sweet free education :911: On track.

ONGOING GOALS:
- Date without breaking the bank (subjective). Success.
- Limit alcohol spending to $30/month. Success.
- Limit video game spending to $25/month. Success.
- Limit Fast Food to 1 Purchase per month. Went over, because I ended up working 2 straight weeks of night shift and coffee/lovely food distracted from that. The shame!
- Keep constant on YNAB -- 18 months and counting! Done.

STRETCH GOALS:
- Max out 401k Maybe
- Put another $10,000 towards general savings (house in 2017? We shall see) On track
- Reach $[redacted]k net worth On track
- Keep my 4.0 GPA On track, may let one class slip to a B if the professor continues to be awful and nonresponsive.

Not a Children fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 2, 2016

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Not a Children posted:

Okay, in for another year! I blew my 2015 goals away kind of easily, so I think I need to set my goals a little higher this year. I'm turning 26 this year, and that means no more mooching off my parents' insurance, so things are gonna get a little rougher! Here's what I've got:

DESIRED ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
- Increase gross income to $[redacted]k ($[redacted+10k] with reimbursements). Still below $[redacted]k, but I'm gonna come within striking distance. All depends on the overtime!
- Put $10,000 in 401k (edited down from $15,000 12/30, I'm looking for new, more expensive, but more tenable living arrangements) On track. Going to have to raise contributions to qualify for a couple of educational tax credits.
- Max ROTH IRA. Done.
- Take and pass the EIT exam. Studying has begun. Test date tentatively scheduled for September.
- Move to a place closer to work while keeping my total housing expenses under $1.3k/mo. Took longer than I expected, but done! Got an excellent deal on a 1br rental.
- Take a dang vacation without feeling guilty. Scheduled for July.
- Stay the hell outta debt. Donezo.
- Finish 4 more classes with Bs or better for that sweet sweet free education :911: Spring Semester down!

ONGOING GOALS:
- Limit alcohol spending to $30/month. Failed, miserably.
- Limit video game spending to $25/month. Failed, miserably.
- Limit Fast Food to 1 Purchase per month. Failed, barely.
- Keep constant on YNAB -- 18 months and counting! Success, so I can easily see how I am failing miserably.

STRETCH GOALS:
- Max out 401k Might have to do this toward the end of the year to bring my MAGI low enough to use educational tax credits.
- Put another $10,000 towards general savings (house in 2017? We shall see) Blew by this.
- Reach $[redacted]k net worth See above
- Keep my 4.0 GPA Bs get degrees

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Not a Children posted:

DESIRED ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
- Increase gross income to $[redacted]k ($[redacted+10k] with reimbursements). On track with overtime
- Put $10,000 in 401k (edited down from $15,000 12/30, I'm looking for new, more expensive, but more tenable living arrangements) On track.
- Max ROTH IRA. Done.
- Take and pass the EIT exam for minor raise. Studying in full swing. Exam scheduled. Should pass easily.
- Move to a place closer to work while keeping my total housing expenses under $1.3k/mo. Done, and with a VERY healthy margin. Moving in a few weeks!
- Take a dang vacation without feeling guilty. The vacation was kinda lovely, but I did it!
- Stay the hell outta debt. Yes.

ONGOING GOALS:
- Limit alcohol spending to $30/month. Failed, miserably.
- Limit video game spending to $25/month. Failed, miserably.
- Limit Fast Food to 1 Purchase per month. Failed, barely.
- Keep constant on YNAB -- 18 months and counting! Success, so I can easily see how I am failing miserably.

STRETCH GOALS:
- Max out 401k Probably not happening, but we'll see how my budget firms up after I move out
- Put another $10,000 towards general savings (house in 2017? We shall see) Already done.
- Reach $[redacted]k net worth On track.

It took me 5 months of searching, but I did find a 1br apartment that is not a closet with laundry and parking in a good part of the city for under a grand. I feel like I've used up all my luck for the rest of my 20's.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Not a Children posted:

DESIRED ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
- Increase gross income to $[redacted]k ($[redacted+10k] with reimbursements). Surprise raise got me there!
- Put $10,000 in 401k (edited down from $15,000 12/30, I'm looking for new, more expensive, but more tenable living arrangements) On Track.
- Max ROTH IRA. Done.
- Take and pass the EIT exam. Done, and came with the surprise raise.
- Move to a place closer to work while keeping my total housing expenses under $1.3k/mo. Done!
- Take a dang vacation without feeling guilty. Done!
- Stay the hell outta debt. Done!
- Finish 4 more classes with Bs or better for that sweet sweet free education :911: On Track.

ONGOING GOALS:
- Date without breaking the bank (subjective). So far so good!
- Limit alcohol spending to $30/month. I've stocked a liquor cabinet in a new place, so FAILURE
- Limit video game spending to $25/month. Back on track with this one.
- Limit Fast Food to 1 Purchase per month. On track.
- Keep constant on YNAB -- 18 months and counting! My streak is now 26 months!

STRETCH GOALS:
- Max out 401k I can ostensibly do comfortably this now!
- Put another $10,000 towards general savings (house in 2017? We shall see) Gonna be close, but I'll keep tryin'
- Reach $[redacted]k net worth I forgot what this number was. Let's say.... probably.
- Keep my 4.0 GPA Nope.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

pig slut lisa posted:

what's in the liquor cabinet

Handles of: Hendricks, Titos

Fifths of: Olmeca Altos (I refuse to splurge on tequila), Sailor Jerry, Dimple Pinch

Beer of: Shiner Prickly Pear (12 pack), Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin' (6 pack), Weyerbacher Blithering Idiot (4 pack)

Wine of: Red, white (2 bottles each)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

End of Year Report!

DESIRED ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
- Increase gross income to $[redacted]k ($[redacted+10k] with reimbursements). Success! I got a surprise raise and cleared this by a couple thou.
- Put $10,000 in 401k (edited down from $15,000 12/30, I'm looking for new, more expensive, but more tenable living arrangements) Wasn't aggressive on this. I'll be about $500 short. My employer's contributions will push me over though. Looking to max this next year.
- Max ROTH IRA. Done, and money is set aside to do so for next year on Jan 1.
- Take and pass the EIT exam. Done!
- Move to a place closer to work while keeping my total housing expenses under $1.3k/mo. Done beyond my wildest hopes and dreams
- Take a dang vacation without feeling guilty. Did, but it was a kind of lousy vacation. gently caress Miami.
- Stay the hell outta debt. Still only got my car payment. 5 more months!
- Finish 4 more classes with Bs or better for that sweet sweet free education :911: Done! Reimbursements, here I come.

ONGOING GOALS:
- Date without breaking the bank (subjective). Success!
- Limit alcohol spending to $30/month. Utter, miserable failure. I finally understand the appeal of brown liquors, and it is destroying me.
- Limit video game spending to $25/month. A less miserable failure, but a failure nonetheless. Averaged $40/mo. Will work on this next year.
- Limit Fast Food to 1 Purchase per month. Failure. Averaged 2-3 times. Living within walking distance to a McDonalds is not good after a night of drinking.
- Keep constant on YNAB -- 18 months and counting! About to clear 30 months, whoo!

STRETCH GOALS:
- Max out 401k Nope
- Put another $10,000 towards general savings (house in 2017? We shall see) Yep, and DEFINITELY nope. Love my apartment and plan to stay there at least another year.
- Reach $[redacted]k net worth I forgot this number, but I'm pretty sure I did.
- Keep my 4.0 GPA Nope, thanks to a BS exam grade that I didn't bother to argue in Spring. It will have zero impact on my finances, career, or anything else.

• Locked thread