Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:
First time Financial Goals poster so here goes:
All dollars are Australian. Historically terrible managing money but just got a big payrise so here I am. If I am disciplined this can be a huge swing year for my financial stability and stress levels.

Current

Salary: $110,000 + 9.5% Retirement account (superannuation)
Commission: Aiming for $70,000
Emergency Fund: $0
Unsecured Loan: $11,858 at 16.8%
Credit Card Balance: $4,351 at 13.49%
Student Loan:$13,428 at ~1.5%-2% (indexed annually at inflation in Australia, no actual interest charged)
Shares: $11,767 at last listing (I have shares in a company that has a reverse takeover currently underway - relisting in February and I have to keep till Dec 2016 to pay half capital gains tax)
Mortgage: $187,716 at 5.37% variable on a ~$650,000 property. I own 34% and am responsible for %50 of Loan.
Retirement Account: $31,802 (In Australia this is paid into by employer at 9.5% of salary automatically with no input from me with pre-tax dollars)

2016 Goals

These are in order, but minimum payments for 2,3&4 happening the whole time anyway.

Goal 1: Emergency Fund to $5,000
Goal 2: Pay off Unsecured Loan
Goal 3: Pay off credit card
Goal 4: Pay off Student Loan - Pay is automatically docked each fortnight by the tax department on a sliding scale for this; they are taking $500 or so a fortnight automatically but a small lump sum payment will be needed to finish it off. At such a low interest rate it is low priority.
Goal 5: Emergency Fund to $10,000
Goal 6: Don't sell shares until December when I get to pay half tax. The Venture Capitalist and Executive Director of the company is a former client and i know the business model is sound. Just hold them and be patient.
Big Hairy Stretch Goal: $30,000 towards a deposit on a second property. This will be entirely dependent on how well I do with commission at work, although selling some shares in December may contribute.

Total Debt to pay off: $29,637 + interest (~$2,000)
Total Emergency Fund to build: $10,000

Jon Von Anchovi fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

alnilam posted:

She matched in Pixburgh :toot:

Going to buy a haus!

:toot: goongrats

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

Awesome start - keep it up!

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

legsarerequired posted:

I wasn't sure if I would stick to it, but I'm doing pretty great at restricting my eating out! I only ate out five times in January, which is a huge improvement for me--I used to eat out every day. You can see where my spending on food decreased in December when I decided to stop eating out so often, and decreases more in January.

My savings goal are:
- Continuing to save regularly for car down payment and emergency savings, haven't touched 401k. I've ended up transferring $600/paycheck to Ally for my emergency savings/car savings and $150/paycheck to my roth.
- I've talked to my boss about my development and am setting up time to shadow other employees.

What's the split of that 600 for car and emergency fund? It's a trap I got into in the past; they aren't the same thing and writing down here what is what will help split them mentally

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

First 6 weeks of the year progress:

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

2016 Goals
Goal 4: Pay off Student Loan - Pay is automatically docked each fortnight by the tax department on a sliding scale for this; they are taking $500 or so a fortnight automatically but a small lump sum payment will be needed to finish it off. At such a low interest rate it is low priority.
Goal 6: Don't sell shares until December when I get to pay half tax.
Big Hairy Stretch Goal: $30,000 towards a deposit on a second property.

1) Emergency Fund $0 -> $989. (This is on auto transfer to be at $10,000 by end of year)
2) Unsecured Loan $11,858 -> $7,974
3) Credit Card $4,351 -> $3,508
4) Paid $1,170 off student loans

Total debt paid in 6 weeks: $5,897
Total emergency fund built: $989

e:

BossRighteous posted:

1. Pay off all consumer debt and be debt free except for the mortgage by EOY
Debt Free as of this second :D
Congrats mate! awesome stuff :) Give me a couple of months and i'll right there with you. And never taking consumer debt again!

Jon Von Anchovi fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 11, 2016

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

qmark posted:

This is turning out harder than I thought, and it's only February...

All good mate; at least you have goals and plans.

"A man with no goal can get there on any road"

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

Thanks ausgoon. Just picked up all 3 on Kindle; give myself something productive to do on the long weekend during fits of sobriety

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

qmark posted:

I honestly never thought I'd be capable of this kind of planning/execution.

Congrats :)

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

So awesome! Congrats

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

2016 Goals
Goal 6: Don't sell shares until December when I get to pay half tax.
Big Hairy Stretch Goal: $30,000 towards a deposit on a second property.

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

First 6 weeks of the year progress:
1) Emergency Fund $0 -> $989. (This is on auto transfer to be at $10,000 by end of year)
2) Unsecured Loan $11,858 -> $7,974
3) Credit Card $4,351 -> $3,508
4) Paid $1,170 off student loans
Total debt paid in 6 weeks: $5,897
Total emergency fund built: $989

First quarter and a bit of the year progress:

interesting happenings; my brother and I bought my father hearing aids. he desperately needed them and i had 3 grand in my emergency fund so we did it. makes me a bit further back on my goals but felt pretty drat nice to have it there due to budgeting.

1) Emergency Fund: $476. Still on auto transfer but depleted
2) Unsecured Loan: $11,858 -> $5,698
3) Credit Card: $4,351 -> $3,280
4) Paid $3,880 off student loans

Total debt paid in 15 weeks: $11,111
Total Emergency fund built: $476

Including the 3k for hearing aids, i'm still tracking at roughly $1,000 a week off debt which will get me to target but there is a lot of frivolous spending i need to keep in check. Lifestyle creep is real

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

Possibly wrong thread but i see it mentioned a lot here; what is the standard/generally accepted way to calculate net worth? Is equity in your home included? Retirement accounts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

moana posted:

5-month update: hit my stretch goal of 1M nw, woohoo! Still need to close out the business checking account to get everything consolidated and allocate a lot more to bonds than I currently have. Adding a goal of refinancing to a regular mortgage to get a better rate. Starting in August, I'll be quitting writing completely to take care of the screaming poop machine we've decided to create. Semi-retirement, here I come :toot:

Awesome and inspirational. Congratulations :toot:

• Locked thread