Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

- Employment :/
- Pop a cork on something to celebrate having all of my student debt wiped away by my in-laws. Didn't ask for that, but I'll take it. (An awkward yet age-old financial shortcut.)
- Cross the bridge and try to understand the actual state of my wife's finances (it's all managed by someone else and she herself doesn't know.)
- Lose the car
- Once I actually know our joint finances, set a growth goal with the lady, and maybe a strategy with her finance guy.

-don't buy a house
-don't have a baby
-don't be forced to adopt either of my parents when something catastrophic happens to them (they're both old and both live in a state of semi-homelessness and I never know what's going to happen to them.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

El Mero Mero posted:

- Employment :/
- Pop a cork on something to celebrate having all of my student debt wiped away by my in-laws. Didn't ask for that, but I'll take it. (An awkward yet age-old financial shortcut.)
- Cross the bridge and try to understand the actual state of my wife's finances (it's all managed by someone else and she herself doesn't know.)
- Lose the car
- Once I actually know our joint finances, set a growth goal with the lady, and maybe a strategy with her finance guy.

-don't buy a house
-don't have a baby
-don't be forced to adopt either of my parents when something catastrophic happens to them (they're both old and both live in a state of semi-homelessness and I never know what's going to happen to them.)

- 1/2 employed in a well paying gig. So that's something
- Celebrated!
- Still working on getting her to go to her cpa for this
- Car is gone!
- We put together our budget and we're going to monitor this month and then see where we're falling short or can do better next based on this month's results.

Additions:
- Max out IRA
- Get the other 1/2 of the job.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

quote:

- Celebrated!
- Still working on getting her to go to her cpa so she can start understanding her finances

No Change

quote:

- Car is gone!
- We put together our budget and we're going to monitor this month and then see where we're falling short or can do better next based on this month's results.

Active budgeting is awesome. We saw our expenses plummet over last month and we also discovered that we'd had a couple of passive subscriptions we weren't using that we could cancel. 1st month of budgeting = $300 in yearly accidental expenses avoided.

quote:

Additions:
- Max out IRA
- Get the other 1/2 of the job.

IRA maxed.

Next Goals:
- Still working on the getting the lady to her cpa. I'd also like to see her budgeting her personal finances or consider putting them under all one budget.
- Still looking at getting the other 1/2 of the job. That's looking promising though.
- Contribute 30% to retirement account.
- Improve how we use YNAB. Hopefully we feel more comfortable with it over the next month or so, but there's still a lot of confusion with how it sets some things up.
- Now that we've got the first month down, we're going to start socking away money towards vacation goals. We need to put ~3K away for that by June.

• Locked thread