Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

EAB posted:

Goals for 2016

-Get my savings up to $100k, and man up and start investing

-Remain homeless because money spent on a mortgage is better spent on world class prostitutes :gizz:

-maybe start a budget but that sounds kinda gayyyyyy and I am straight!

-don't get married, don't have a kid, don't buy a fuckin new car even though I keep drooling over stupid poo poo like the STI and focus rs aaaaahhhhhh

-read more fuckin finance and investing books

Keep fighting the good fight :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Goals for 2016

1. Pay off all consumer debt and be debt free except for the mortgage by EOY

2. Move old retirement accounts to single Vanguard umbrella account

3. Set up Roth IRAs and monthly auto-deductions from checking (Amount adding up to yearly max, assuming April 16th start date with debt repayment)
3. Contribute the monthly equivalent of a Roth contribution toward the emergency fund.

4. Dial up employer retirement withholding to combine with Roth for 15% gross income

5. Save $12k cash for emergency fund
5. Save $25k cash for emergency fund

EDIT:

BossRighteous posted:

I discovered that my employer intends to transition away from active web development and focus on AdWords. ...

root of all eval fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 6, 2016

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Lovely.

I'm going to have to update my yearly goals in the OP and it's barely a week into the year.

I discovered that my employer intends to transition away from active web development and focus on AdWords. That means there is a 12-18mo timeline in which my position will be eliminated. I like the job and will have plenty of fore warning before a pink slip but knowing that we are going to put the retirement on hold and contribute that amount toward the emergency fund. Bummer. It will be cool to know that we have a solid 5 months of expenses covered when the time does come.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It shouldn't be too hard to have a web development gig lined up for when it ends, depending on how much warning you get. I'd be pretty tempted to leave early - great job or not, going to work at what feels like a "dead end" takes a toll on one's mental well-being. (I'm doing it now at a place I had to give 4 months notice to upon quitting.) I agree on having a bigger emergency fund - 12k seems low to me.

I'm with you in not being too worried. The last time I looked for a job I had 3 interviews in the first 2 days. The transition is very goal based so until they get some of their paid media numbers up I have security. Also we have a $750k contract through July with a client so ~June is when I intend to dial up the search. I'm not going to wait for a lay off by any means.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Debt Free as of this second :D

No Progress :/

3. Contribute the monthly equivalent of a Roth contribution toward the emergency fund.
Now that the debt is gone this should be very doable. I am also still doing the 4% match on my 401k.

4. Save $25k cash for emergency fund
Currently at about $1k (+$2k checking). Hope to have it to $3k by end of month depending on tax liabilities.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

u wan gently caress posted:

Goals for 2016

3. Set up Roth IRAs and monthly auto-deductions from checking (Amount adding up to yearly max, assuming April 16th start date with debt repayment)

4. Dial up employer retirement withholding to combine with Roth for 15% gross income

5. Save $12k cash for emergency fund
5. Save $25k cash for emergency fund

EDIT:

I got surprise divorced instead of doing any of that so I guess I am just happy to be debt free with $3k in savings and non-suicidal. :unsmith:

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

For the most part, yeah. Basically traded her $7k in cash for $7k in IRA transfers, which at this juncture is a fair enough trade for me. Walking away net zero all told. Could be a lot worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I'll DJ using spotify and invite a lobster taco truck to 'cater'

• Locked thread