Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I'll get in on this. In priority order on gross salary of about $90k:

1) Get emergency fund up to 10k (adding 6500)
2) Resume (and max out) 401k/TSP contributions
3) Pay off approx $8700 of unsecured loan (at 3%)
4) Get at least $5k saved up for wedding (stretch goal: $10k)

Doing all that and making regular payments will leave me with about 12k of student loans to deal with in '17. Also, continue paying off car, but it's at 0% so whatever, no rush.

E: also, Dead Pressed, to get all up in your bizness--please give that $50 to, like, any vets charity other than Wounded Warrior. They're not quite the Susan G. Koman of vets charities, but they're not good. They really like to sue other, smaller charities that use "wounded" or "warrior" in their name.

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Dec 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

overdesigned posted:

End-Of-January-ish monthly-ish update:

Emergency fund +2500
TSP n/c
Loan payoff -450
Wedding savings +500

Thanks, tax refund!

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

overdesigned posted:

End-Of-February-ish monthly-ish update:

Emergency fund +2100 (up to 8k now, hopefully hit the 10k goal by end of March and move on)
TSP n/c
Loan payoff -450
Wedding savings +500 (up to 1k now)

I road-warriored the hell out of this month (26 of 29 days on the road) so I lived mostly on per diem, not my salary, which was a nice boost to my savings. Also had heart surgery paid for in full: thanks, military health care.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

overdesigned posted:

END OF MARCH Q1 UPDATE-STRAVAGANZA

1) Added 2k, hit 10k, goal achieved! That plus a month's float in checking has me in a really nice position.
2) Still nothing new here (been at 1% base all year), but I'll make a contribution adjustment this month, so it'll take effect in two months' reporting time.
3) Regular paydowns so far, but now that I have the E-fund, this will accelerate. Currently sitting at $7500 to go.
4) Got the wedding fund up to $1500.

March was a busy month; I moved up to live with my fiance for 3 months, which had some associated costs. Also hitting up a wedding this coming month, so that's a lot of money. But I've budgeted for it while hitting my goals so I'm pretty happy about that.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

overdesigned posted:

Kind of early April update, since I'm bored and know what my next paycheck will be on Friday:

1) Hit this goal last month, haven't had to use it, still sitting at 10k.
2) Now contributing $950/month! So, kinda achieved--I won't hit the 18k/year limit at this rate though. Probably should redefine that as a stretch goal.
3) Debt paydown increased, now paying down at $1500/month. Should be paid off in September at this rate. Balance after this payment will be $5600.
4) Sent $1k to the photographer, savings now sitting at $500. Basically adjusting this to "have $4k sitting around by end of year" since I sent off that $1k.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Unsolicited advice but IMO it is a mistake on several levels to pay off a 3% loan faster than required if you are not maxing out your 401k contributions.

I may or may not be losing my job in the next 3-9 months and I'd like to be out from under that debt if it happens. But yeah good point that I hadn't considered fully.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

overdesigned posted:

End of May Update

1) This is still done.
2) Still contributing $950/month.
3) Another accelerated payment, balance down to about $4k
4) Added $500, so $1k in there now, towards the net $4k goal.

Also I found out I'm selected for promotion, so in like 9 months, if I'm still employed, that'll be a cool 18% raise. :toot:

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

overdesigned posted:

July Update:

1) Still at 10k
2) Still contributing $950/mo (also I played day-trader and dodged the Brexit drop, back to buy and hold like a good, sane person now. +2500 from that.)
3) Loan down to 3k now. (-1000)
4) Wedding savings at $1250 (+250)

Things are looking pretty okay. I moved back to Mississippi, which cost some money, and my roommate moved out so there goes that rental income, and my fiance quit her job that she hates to go to grad school but despite all these things, we're well-prepared and positioned to continue being good with money.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

overdesigned posted:

End of August update:

1) Dipped into then repaid, so still at $10k. Still a month ahead in YNAB so I'm not cheating either :v:
2) Still contributing $950/mo. At this rate won't hit the $18k cap this year but will break $50k in the account which I guess is an acceptable un-stretch goal.
3) Paid $680 on this, down to $2350 remaining. Should have no problem hitting the goal by end of year.
4) Added $500, up to 1750. Can't slack on this or I won't make it, stretch goal also not happening at this rate.

Of note, this was the first month where I overspent in YNAB. Normally I can do some massaging and fuckery to hide evil red numbers but this time I couldn't (or, well, I hit my limit of what I'd accept)...so yeah, overspent by $5.24. Shame, etc. Generally, losing my roommate has sucked, and going back to spending $400-500 a month on travel to see my fiance also sucks (for the finances, not for anything else though).

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

overdesigned posted:

4) Get at least $5k saved up for wedding (stretch goal: $10k) [ed note: spent $1k on wedding, so want 4k balance]

End of September update:

1) Dipped into then repaid, again, still at 10k, again, still a month ahead, again. Gonna try and break this habit this month.
2) Still contributing $950/mo. Gonna hit my $50k balance un-stretch goal barring any big market crashes.
3) Paid $450, down to 1950, on track to finish this with my December 1st payment.
4) Added $250, putting me around $2500. Stretch goal is laughably not happening.

This month I ended up buying airfare for Columbus Day to do some wedding planning/engagement photography and also Thanksgiving, so I overspent a little bit, again. Good news is that I got really really great deals on the tickets, and shouldn't be buying any more airfare until Christmas (which looks to be cheap as well). Still confident I can get $1500 more in the wedding fund by the end of the year and hit that goal.

COOL THIRD QUARTER YTD STAT THAT MAKES ME FEEL GOOD:
Net worth increased by about $30,000 so far!

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

overdesigned posted:

Spooooooky end of October update time.

1) Pulled $1200 out of this, balance sitting at $8750, because of #3
2) Still going strong here, probably gonna hit $50k unstretch goal.
3) From #1--paid this off! :toot:
4) Added $250, up to $2350 saved.

Looking at next month's budget, I'm feeling pretty good that I'll meet my goals for the year (the TSP max-out was too aggressive and since I parentheses-ed it I'm gonna say it was a stretch goal I didn't hit). Maybe not as extravagant in Christmas gifting as in the past, but that's not a terrible thing.

I think now that I've got my e-fund built up and that loan paid off, my big 2017 goal can be to actually hit the $18k contribution limit on the TSP (and maybe open an IRA?). My total contributions this year are going to be about $7500. Also mid-late next year I should get promoted which is going to help a ton. I'm gonna look back on my annual spending in December and see what, if anything, seems unreasonable, but right now it looks like my net worth increase this year is going to be about 40% of my gross income, which I think is pretty solid.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
yooooooo that 50k 401k balance goal is loving shot so

fuckin

whatever

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

overdesigned posted:

IMPENDING HOLIDAYS update of HOLIDAYNESS aka november

1) This is at $9250 after paying off my loan early. Budgeted back up to $10k next month.
2) Still contributing! Hit $50k account balance! Calling this one done.
3) Paid this off last month!
4) Added $850 this month, budgeted to add $800 next month to hit the goal.

Since I'm a month ahead in YNAB/budgeting, I guess...I'm done! Goals technically reached! As long as I stay in-budget for December, anyway. Happy 2016 y'all. Throwing down my goals in this thread has been really good at helping me stick to 'em and stay financially responsible. Last year I was budgeting and doing okay but this year I did better. Not buying a new car probably helped too...

Spitballing goals for next year, in no particular priority order:
-) Pay wedding costs in full (will need probably 12-15k)
-) Increase TSP contributions to hit the $18k max (I contributed a little over $7500 this year but also only really started contributing in May)
-) Cut student loan balance by half (so about $6500 payoff)
-) I dunno, start saving for a house or something. Depends on where the Marines send me next.
-) Save up like $1000 for a ridiculous splurge purchase.

• Locked thread