Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Hopefully I do a better job in 2016 of sticking to goals than I did in 2015, though I don't imagine another engagement and house purchase.

Omne's 2016 Financial Goals
1. NO. WEDDING. DEBT. We have our budget and have done a fairly good job of sticking to it. We are paying cash, and by ourselves without any other assistance. We are currently on track to cover our remaining payments by the wedding date (4/16/2016).
2. NO. NEW. DEBT. PERIOD. This means any other loans or credit card balances. I pay off my CC's every two weeks or so and will continue to do so
3. Pay off smallest student loan ($1987.32 current balance). This has a 5% interest rate but is paid quarterly. My other two loans are much bigger ($14500 @4.25% and $14000 @6.8%) but it'll be an emotional boost to knock this out.
4. Increase personal emergency fund to $10k (Current balance: $6900).
5. Stretch Goal: Pay down the 6.8% student loan to under $10k

With continued wedding/honeymoon savings necessary through the end of June, goals #3/#4/#5 will be more on the second half of the year. We should get a decent tax return, the company bonus in July and a merit increase in October, which will help with all of this. I estimate we will need an additional $2500 each for the wedding, on top of the $5k each we have already saved, plus $3k each for the honeymoon. So $5500 saved in six months. Difficult, but not impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I wish a baby was in the cards in 2016...my fiancee is a bit older than I am (39) so the clock is very much ticking on that. But between the house, the wedding and other stuff, I think getting pregnant might make her explode at this point.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Omne posted:

1. NO. WEDDING. DEBT. We have our budget and have done a fairly good job of sticking to it. We are paying cash, and by ourselves without any other assistance. We are currently on track to cover our remaining payments by the wedding date (4/16/2016).
2. NO. NEW. DEBT. PERIOD. This means any other loans or credit card balances. I pay off my CC's every two weeks or so and will continue to do so
3. Pay off smallest student loan ($1987.32 current balance). This has a 5% interest rate but is paid quarterly. My other two loans are much bigger ($14500 @4.25% and $14000 @6.8%) but it'll be an emotional boost to knock this out.

1. So far, so good. However, I was just informed that my mom won't actually be able to pay for the rehearsal dinner, so that's now on us and we hadn't budgeted for it. This is gonna be very tight.
2. No new debt!
3. Balance is down to $1500+ and on track
4. Haven't started, though I consolidated some straggler accounts and it's now $8200
5. Haven't started yet.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

pig slut lisa posted:

Oof. Did she pull a switcheroo on you or run into some genuine financial issue?

Genuine issue(s). She had been trying to get it together but a few surprises came up. She'll pay me back, it's just not something we had planned for

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Omne posted:

Hopefully I do a better job in 2016 of sticking to goals than I did in 2015, though I don't imagine another engagement and house purchase.

Just want to say....goal #1 is complete! We were able to cover the entire wedding with money we had saved up, including the rehearsal dinner expense that we hadn't originally planned for. Additionally, we no longer need to cover the honeymoon, as that has been given to us as a a VERY generous gift!

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Omne posted:

1. COMPLETE!
2. Still good here. My wife has a bit, so we are trying to take care of that before some of the other goals we have
3. Current balance is $1200, so getting there!
4. COMPLETE. With wedding cash gifts, current emergency savings is up to $11k. We'll keep adding to it, as our ultimate goal is $30k
5. Current balance on this loan is $12,900.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Omne posted:

August Update:

1. Complete!
2. On Track
3. On Track (down to $550)
4. On Track ($9100)
5. Down from $14000 to $12500, not sure I'll make it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Omne posted:

1. Complete! Paid cash for the wedding, and thankfully my father paid for our honeymoon.
2. Complete!
3. Complete!
4. Fail! Currently sitting at $8200
5. Fail! It's down to $11,600 but that's essentially paying the minimums.

Three out of five, not good enough

• Locked thread