Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
2015 was the year I took a good look at my financial situation and realized just how easy it would be for me to hit financial independence.

Since last January my net worth went from ~150k to over 250k. I got there by cutting a ton of my frivolous spending and just generally paying attention. Moving out of a ridiculously expensive house and in with my girlfriend helped a lot too, though half of those savings really just went to increased spending (I was spending something like 60% of my budget on housing. I let myself take a 20% raise once that wasn't the case anymore)

I sort of let it slide in Nov-Dec but now it's time to get back in the driver's seat.

2016:

- 350k net worth. I think this is achievable but it will require some doing (and of course the market cooperating a bit)
- Stay within my self-imposed income of 36k this year.
- Don't eat out today.

For me it's simple. I just have to not buy a new computer. A new game console. A bunch of games. And so on. I've formed the habits, I'm used to living well below my means. Over half my paycheck goes into savings every month before I even see it; now to see how much more I can squeeze out of the money I do see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Feb is the month I discovered what happens if I don't walk/bike to the bus in the morning. Spent $100 on bridge tolls this month. Fuuuuuck that noise.

Next month I'm only driving to work five times max.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

Couple weeks late but whatever.

Dessert Rose posted:

2016:

- 350k net worth. I think this is achievable but it will require some doing (and of course the market cooperating a bit)
- Stay within my self-imposed income of 36k this year.
- Don't eat out today.

For me it's simple. I just have to not buy a new computer. A new game console. A bunch of games. And so on. I've formed the habits, I'm used to living well below my means. Over half my paycheck goes into savings every month before I even see it; now to see how much more I can squeeze out of the money I do see.

Well, last year topped out at 379k, so thanks to the market I did pretty well. I even made a bad decision and sucked out: when the market dipped in Jan I moved all my bonds to taxable and my total market funds to my IRA, harvesting the loss in the process. Now I have significantly more tax advantaged space in my IRA, since the bounce back happened there, and I get to claim a not-insignificant loss on my taxes.

I also got married just before the end of the year and did so with no spending on a wedding so now my taxes will be much lighter.

I didn't do so well staying within 36k for the year; I think I ended up somewhere around 42. I have to work on my tendency to go crazy at end of year when I've maxed out my 401k and my paychecks double in size. Still, even with discovering quadcopters I didn't ruin my budget too terribly much.

Same with not eating out: good start, sloppy finish. Gotta get back on that this year.

I don't think I bought a console last year, I think I got my PS4 the year before that, and I didn't buy a new computer or phone. So I won on that score!

A pretty good year. I'm over halfway to FI (or at least to the point where I start figuring out the logistics there). My gains from existing investments are starting to catch up to my spending... I've got good momentum now.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

greasyhands posted:

That is a wash sale, bud... I mean, the odds of ever getting caught by the IRS are very close to 0, but what you did is technically a wash sale and strictly speaking does not generate a tax loss.... unless you waited 30 days, I guess.

The IRS has ruled (Rev. Rul. 2008-5) that when an individual sells stock or securities for a loss and causes his or her IRA or Roth IRA to buy substantially identical stock or securities within 30 days before or after the sale, the loss on the sale is disallowed under section 1091 and the individual's basis in the IRA.

I bought different indexes in the other accounts, so it wasn't substantially identical. I went from S&P 500 to total market funds, or from long-term corporate bonds to short-term. Thanks for the heads up though :)

• Locked thread