Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
My goals are somewhat small because it's my last semester of school and I'm living at home so I am aiming to just make a big leap back into the world (I'm an adult student who is very lucky to have such a generous support system that I can live at home for free).

1) Save up a nest egg for moving wherever my post-grad life takes me, aiming for $6k but will likely have plenty more
deadline: I don't know yet. Aiming to be out of here by October, but could be moved up/pushed back as I see fit.

2) Whittle away all credit card debt (some consumer, lots of school-related expenses), currently stands at about $5k including the Apple financing for my recent laptop purchase
deadline: EOY probably, hopefuly much, much sooner.

3) Save up an extra $2.5k or so for fun/transport/etc. during month abroad
deadline: June 15 or thereabouts, as I leave on the 17th and need things all set by then

4) No clothes shopping except at the thrift store (this is an indefinite goal, probably until mid-June when I go abroad to be picked up again when I return stateside?)

I'll probably make more goals when/if I move and get a new job, including maxing out 401k and FSA or however the benefits roll out, and also making a real game plan to tackle my student loan debt. I'm genuinely hoping to keep up with these goals, as 2016 is a big year of endings for me, so my financial situation will be changing significantly. (I hope.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~

district 12 posted:

My goals are somewhat small because it's my last semester of school and I'm living at home so I am aiming to just make a big leap back into the world (I'm an adult student who is very lucky to have such a generous support system that I can live at home for free).

1) Save up a nest egg for moving wherever my post-grad life takes me, aiming for $6k but will likely have plenty more
deadline: I don't know yet. Aiming to be out of here by October, but could be moved up/pushed back as I see fit.

2) Whittle away all credit card debt (some consumer, lots of school-related expenses), currently stands at about $5k including the Apple financing for my recent laptop purchase

deadline: June 15 or thereabouts, as I leave on the 17th and need things all set by then

4) No clothes shopping except at the thrift store (this is an indefinite goal, probably until mid-June when I go abroad to be picked up again when I return stateside?)

1 and 3) Working on it, current balance is smaller than I wanted it to be at this point but it's because of number 2

2) Also working on it! I just put my whole tax return on my highest-interest card, knocking out a bunch of the balance. I'll have thrown that out by the end of March according to my budget and can put more towards other debts and savings. Nice.

4) Failed miserably!!! I bought my graduation outfit for a really excellent price during the end of season sales, and I love it so no regrets. Alas~ restarting this goal. :angel:

I'm having a graduation party so I think I'll be getting some cash money that I can put directly into my savings. I've also slightly adjusted my post-grad plans to include finding a job before I actually move, so yay financial stability.

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~

district 12 posted:

I'll probably make more goals when/if I move and get a new job, including maxing out 401k and FSA or however the benefits roll out, and also making a real game plan to tackle my student loan debt. I'm genuinely hoping to keep up with these goals, as 2016 is a big year of endings for me, so my financial situation will be changing significantly. (I hope.)

1) working on it. Still not great, a few medical expenses have come up that are supposed to be covered by insurance, but I'm keeping cash on standby in case I lose the battle.

2) Getting there!

3) Almost done!

4) Failed... but not by a lot. I don't know what it is about clothes but I just love them so much. I managed to really curb my shopping though, and have sold a few older pieces on eBay to recoup spending.

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~

district 12 posted:

March update:

1) Not anywhere near where I wanted to be. I've almost hit the goal for #3 at which point I'm going to go nuts working on this one... but I need more money. I graduate in May and then return from abroad in July at which point I'll be looking at something major.

2) I input my bills and stuff into unbury.us and when I move onto a higher-paying job I'll be able to knock this out by EOY. In the meantime I'm paying minimums on zero interest stuff and paying lots more on higher-interest stuff. I have a plan, it's just moving slowly.

3) See above.

4) I give up lol. I'm not spending that much on clothes right now, but I think going cold turkey is impossible. I'm going to change this to only making four purchases per month, which is about the rate I'm going at right now. I have a shopping habit which probably doesn't help the three above goals. I just gotta slow it down, which I am doing.

All in all I've been putting together my post-grad plans which will ultimately make things a lot easier for me. I've already started a job search to little luck, I think I'm a little early. We'll see what happens.

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~

district 12 posted:

April update:

1) Starting on this now because...

2) This is going well and...

3) This is complete. Saved up $2.5k as of a few weeks ago and also remembered that I'll be able to claim funemployment insurance during my month abroad so I won't be completely broke when I return.

4) This has been a complete bust (oops) but I'm selling old clothes so it's kind of like one in, one out. So that's good.

I'm not as far as I wanted to be but I'm on track and doing okay, which is all I could ask for.

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~

district 12 posted:

Thanks to a post-graduation windfall I've hit my savings goals (and then some) so now I'm working on my debts, which now includes some student loans, although many are in deferment until December :geno:

I am now on the hunt for a well-paying job that furthers my career and gives me a decent nest egg to sit on so that I don't blow through my savings like crazy. But I'm really glad I have these savings so that I can be comfortable while I'm looking for said job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~

district 12 posted:

1) Post-grad life has taken me to Seoul so my month-abroad nest egg has been rolled into my post-grad nest egg and I'm on track to have $8k saved by the time I leave at the end of August, neat

2) I'm working on this, I have everything on auto-pay so I just keep money in my bank account and it does its thing

3) See #1, I'll say this is complete I guess since plans have changed

4) lol this isn't complete but it's not a goal anymore

New goals:

1) Save as much as possible before departure

2) Develop a budget to determine bare minimum salary requirements, and then stick to it

3) Find a job ASAP when I arrive.

• Locked thread