Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
2016 Financial Goals:

#1 - Under no circumstances have children. Stretch goal: Don't have a house either.
#2 - Make $100,000 from primary side business (revenue, not profit). Stretch goal: $200,000.
#3 - Make secondary side business fully self-sustaining and turn no less than $1,000 in profit. Stretch Goal: N/A
#4 - Do one stress-reduction activity each month (massage, art therapy, whatever). Stretch Goal: N/A
#5 - Have $50,000 in my primary savings account by end of the year. Stretch Goal: Have $100,000 in my primary savings account by end of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

sbaldrick posted:

There kind of is, especially some international ones.

Also get ready to have 50k in the bank.

Tell that to my in-laws, who adopted an infant while they were in their loving 60s. :suicide:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

sbaldrick posted:

How the gently caress did they do that, We've been told international adoption is done in the mid-40's most places.

Sorry -- to be specific, it's in-state adoptions. Not international. New Hampshire.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

moana posted:

I'll be posting in the BWM thread with a bunch of ridiculous overpriced baby poo poo, I'm sure.

Deadpressed, be careful about your due dates if you care about that sort of thing. My husband's birthday is right around Christmas, and he's scarred from a lifetime of "oh this is your christmas present and your birthday present, and no we can't have a party for you, everyone is on vacation".

I swear, if you buy infant clothing from some overpriced poo poo like Buggaboo instead of a low-cost store or (even better) an infant consignment , I'm going to hunt you down and slap you with the Spatula of BWM.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
January Update...

Sundae posted:

2016 Financial Goals:

#1 - Under no circumstances have children. Stretch goal: Don't have a house either. So far so good.
#2 - Make $100,000 from primary side business (revenue, not profit). Stretch goal: $200,000. $9,300 earned in January from primary side biz. So far so good.
#3 - Make secondary side business fully self-sustaining and turn no less than $1,000 in profit. I'm questioning this business entirely now. I may close the whole thing down in April if I decide it's too much of a money pit.
#4 - Do one stress-reduction activity each month (massage, art therapy, whatever). Couldn't afford much in January, so I opted to sleep in late (seriously late) on the weekend as a substitute.
#5 - Have $50,000 in my primary savings account by end of the year. Stretch Goal: Have $100,000 in my primary savings account by end of the year. Too early to say. January had a bunch of planned medical expenses, plus tax season.

January is always a boring month and there isn't much progress to report. Feb update should be a little meatier.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
February Update...

quote:

2016 Financial Goals:

#1 - No kids, no house, all's great.
#2 - Side biz income was horrible in Month 2, about $1,500 approximately. I expected this, but I also didn't expect to make as little progress as I did toward the next book. Bad me.
#3 - Secondary side biz has a new web developer who is working hard on the new systems I need. So far so good.
#4 - Stress reduction: I got a massage. Yay.
#5 - $50K/$100K Stretch: Medical bills are all sorted out now and taxes are looking good, too. I'm going to have about $5K oversaved from last year's taxes and $6K post-tax on my bonus. February value: $11K going into savings. :)

I have a job interview coming up in two weeks, too, so I'm going to add #6 from last year back again:

#6 -- Keep or lose my current day job as best fits monetary and life balance goals.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
March Update:

#1 - No kids, no house, all's great.
#2 - Side biz income was horrible in Month 3, about $1,000 approximately. I expected this, but I also didn't expect to make as little progress as I did toward the next book. Bad me. Other stuff took over.
#3 - Secondary side biz has a new web developer who is working hard on the new systems I need. Should be done in a week or two.
#4 - Stress reduction: I put this off until April because I have big plans for a very low-stress April. :) (See #6)
#5 - $50K/$100K Stretch: March savings: $20K.
#6 -- Goal: Keep or lose my current day job as best fits monetary and life balance goals. Almost certainly accepting a job offer with ~50-75% raise involved for less work. Awaiting final details from HR.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

moana posted:

EEK! So glad to hear this!!!

Thanks! If you still live out west, I may have to come visit you later this year. :3:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
April Update:

#1 - No kids, no house. I'll update this one if I gently caress up in the future. :v:
#2 - No progress. I got sucked into #6.
#3 - New site updates are complete. We're going to do a relaunch in June. I'm giving it 6 months to profitability, after which point I shut it down if not.
#4 - I put this off for April because I have a nice, week-long vacation coming up in May. This month was okay, stress-wise, so no need for the extra spending.
#5 - $50K/$100K Stretch: April Savings: I'm up to $23K. In May, I'm getting a $20,000 bonus (pre-tax) which should boost things a good bit more. (See #6)
#6 - I accepted the new job. My total cash compensation (excluding health insurance, intangibles, etc) goes from around $130K to $225K (ignoring vesting periods for RSUs and assuming no return for SARs). Additionally, I negotiated a $20,000 signing bonus for the new role. This makes up for #2 and #5 slow progress.

Looking good so far. I think I'll end the year on a good note. :)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
May Update:

#1 - Still good. (No house or babies)
#2 - No progress. I got sucked into new job and apartment hunting. I've set up the basics for the next book, though, so June will probably show some better progress. (Side business #1 revenue increase)
#3 - Site re-launching in two weeks. We'll see how it does! (Growth of side business #2)
#4 - I'm unemployed for the next 19 days. That's pretty relaxing on its own. :) Also, I spent a week in Florida in May. (Relaxation)
#5 - We're going to have to slam down a TON for move-in rent at our new place (wherever it is), so probably not much progress on this until the $20K signing bonus hits the bank. It's not coming until my start date, though. (Savings goal)
#6 - New job starts 20JUN2016. This will be fun. :) (Career improvements goal)

May was a bit of a wash because of the job change. I spent a week in Florida on the beach, negotiated a way better job and salary than I had before, and now I'm relocating to San Francisco which would be the epitome of BWM if not for the rent subsidy. :) Fun!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

Possibly wrong thread but i see it mentioned a lot here; what is the standard/generally accepted way to calculate net worth? Is equity in your home included? Retirement accounts?

I'd definitely include your retirement accounts in your net worth. Housing? Ehh... not so sure. Equity seems like a reasonable thing to account for as long as you're balancing it out with the mortgage debt on the other side. I would not include either of them if you're talking liquid wealth, though (but sure, for net worth).

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
June Update:

#2 - Wow... um, terrible progress because I ended up spending most of June stuck in a hotel waiting for my poo poo to show up while learning the area. I don't really have much of an excuse since I could have written on my laptop, but instead I wandered the bay area and ate out at awesome sushi restaurants on my company's dime, saw the sights, and moved into my new apartment. This goal will be more for July than June, now. (Side business #1 revenue increase)

#3 - No computer due to moving meant no site relaunch, which meant I couldn't do poo poo with this in June. Delayed to July. (Growth of side business #2)

#4 - Mmm... I think California is its own type of relaxing, honestly. Moving is always a bitch, but my god do I love having tall eucalyptus trees right outside my window. It's like living in a loving spa or something. I think this goal is done for the year
because life is pretty loving great right now. (Relaxation goal: GOAL COMPLETE: No longer required because life no longer sucks.

#5 - I'm not going to be able to judge the savings goal for another month or two. The bank account is having huge fluctuations due to moving, new apartment expenses, huge paychecks and then tiny paychecks, etc etc. I'm in too much flux to say whether there has been any progress. By my little account book, I should end up around $25K by the end of July, but that may also change when we see if our car can pass California emissions / smog testing, or if we need a new car. (Our car is ancient, so repairing it to meet code just isn't happening. I'm not sinking $2K into a 20-yr-old car with 200,000 miles on it.) [Savings Goal]

#6 - My new job kicks all sorts of rear end. (Career improvements goal) GOAL COMPLETE: Quit a lovely job and got an amazing new one.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
July Update:

#2 - I'm back in business with four new novels coming out this year and a relaunch of about 100 short stories. First novel is releasing in August, along with 10-20 of the stories, depending on planning. Woo! (Side business #1 revenue increase)

#3 - I've put this on hold for now, but will likely kill the service. It's too much time for too little monetary benefit compared to writing novels. (Growth of side business #2)

#4 - COMPLETE. (Relaxation goal. I'm so relaxed it hurts.)

#5 - We've finished transferring all our old accounts, etc etc. I hosed up and forgot to set my deductions/allowances/dependents before my signing bonus was issued, so my first paycheck had a remarkable 66.5% taxes withheld from it. It'll all come back at tax time next year, but whoopsie--so much for having it all in the bank right now. About $20K in the bank right now. [Savings Goal]

#6 - COMPLETE. (Job Goal)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
CONGRATULATIONS!!! Good luck, Moana. :)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Sundae posted:

2016 Financial Goals:

#1 - Under no circumstances have children. Stretch goal: Don't have a house either.
#2 - Make $100,000 from primary side business (revenue, not profit). Stretch goal: $200,000.
#3 - Make secondary side business fully self-sustaining and turn no less than $1,000 in profit. Stretch Goal: N/A
#4 - Do one stress-reduction activity each month (massage, art therapy, whatever). Stretch Goal: N/A
#5 - Have $50,000 in my primary savings account by end of the year. Stretch Goal: Have $100,000 in my primary savings account by end of the year.
#6 - Surprise mid-year Career Transition goal. (Interview, plan, prepare, take a shot at a job opportunity in San Francisco.)

#1 - Still a success.
#2 - Complete and utter miserable failure. I'm going to have to do better next year. I'm barely going to turn $40K this year. I don't care all that much since I doubled my day job income this year, but it's still a failed goal.
#3 - Failure? - Due to changes in the general marketplace for the side business, it went from an okay idea to not feasible. I killed the project to save the costs/time of running it. (Review service for self-publishing authors that links them up with ARC readers, and the authors pay to have their books featured. The main retailer for books has started culling ARC reviews and changed visibility for reviews that are advance and aren't from purchased copies on their site, so there goes all the benefit and most of the demand for said service.)
#4 - Complete.
#5 - Going to miss this. Cross-country moving costs ate more than I expected this year, and my wife's NGO trip to India was more expensive than she expected (I told her it would be, but noooooo). Combining that with the miserable failure of #2, and we're going to hit about $30K at the end of December. $50K will be reached by the end of February once bonus season kicks in, but that's not 2016 so FAILURE.
#6 - Complete. I moved across the country and roughly doubled my day-job income.

A 50% success rate (give or take depending on how you interpret #3) doesn't cut it. I'll not gently caress up so hard next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I'm game for the new thread as well. I must restore my honor!

• Locked thread