Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
- Get a credit card (sheesh, that should be a remainder of 2015 goal)
- Increase net worth by 100k
- Roll all my old retirement accounts together into a regular IRA (401k #1, 401k #2, SIMPLE IRA) while maxing a new one
- Come up with and act on a better investment portfolio than "SPY and cash"
- Complete machine learning course + 1 personal project in hopes of inspiring future career opportunities

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

It shouldn't be too hard to have a web development gig lined up for when it ends, depending on how much warning you get. I'd be pretty tempted to leave early - great job or not, going to work at what feels like a "dead end" takes a toll on one's mental well-being. (I'm doing it now at a place I had to give 4 months notice to upon quitting.) I agree on having a bigger emergency fund - 12k seems low to me.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Do you mean buy stock? I don't really think anyone at home investing should be purchasing options. Maybe I misunderstand?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

opposable thumbs.db posted:

Is this addressed to me? I meant exercising some vested employee stock options from a few years ago.
Ahh okay, that makes more sense, and I guess I should have quoted you.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

That seems like a pretty raw deal, especially if she's not getting founder-level equity. Please tell her work for 20k + 0.33% to be diluted over time. I don't know what she does but plenty of startups will pay 6 figures for someone they want. Sorry if I'm reading into this too much but please at least consider alternatives, including other startups. (I once fell pretty hard for a startup sales pitch and was going to make some pretty sub-optimal career decisions because of it and a friend helped talk me down, I've been there.) If one think they're any good at predicting which startups will succeed, they should join a VC fund rather than any individual startup. If they don't think that, equity should be treated and priced like lottery tickets.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 27, 2016

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Tyro posted:

She is. :)
K, carry on and good luck. :D

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

It'd be materially different if you were talking taxable investments in liquid instruments but yeah, in this case I agree with debt repayment instead of 401k contributions.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I have one bottle of angry orchard cider, one bottle of leffe brown, and two bottles of chartreuse, one green and one yellow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Here's mine...not great:
  • Get a credit card (sheesh, that should be a remainder of 2015 goal) Done
  • Increase net worth by 100k Done, though it was close and depended on income that technically came in December 2015. It didn't "vest" until this year so I'm counting it. It's vaguely possible that I'll make it without that but I'm not holding my breath
  • Roll all my old retirement accounts together into a regular IRA (401k #1, 401k #2, SIMPLE IRA) while maxing a new one - Nope, now I just have 401k #3, sigh.
  • Come up with and act on a better investment portfolio than "SPY and cash" - Didn't do this but....SPY and cash seems kinda good. I'll get some bonds next year I promise.
  • Complete machine learning course + 1 personal project in hopes of inspiring future career opportunities - Nope, not really. I mean I started doing improv, that would be a fun as hell career #2 but not exactly realistic or what I had in mind.

• Locked thread