Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGbxmsDFVnE
(Incredibly detailed) Summary:

quote:

The Force Awakens is set approximately 30 years after the events of Return of the Jedi, where the Rebel Alliance and the Galactic Empire have become the Resistance and the First Order, respectively,and follows new leads Finn, Rey, and Poe Dameron alongside characters returning from previous Star Wars films.

(Main) Cast:

quote:

Daisy Ridley ... Rey
Carrie Fisher ... Leia
Mark Hamill ... Luke Skywalker
Harrison Ford ... Han Solo
Adam Driver ... Kylo Ren
Domhnall Gleeson ... General Hux
Gwendoline Christie ... Captain Phasma
Peter Mayhew ... Chewbacca
Oscar Isaac ... Poe Dameron
John Boyega ... Finn
Andy Serkis ... Supreme Leader Snoke
Kenny Baker ... R2-D2
Lupita Nyong'o ... Maz Kanata

Who helped make this and what's it about?

quote:

The Force Awakens is the first film in the Star Wars sequel trilogy, announced after The Walt Disney Company's acquisition of Lucasfilm in October 2012. The film is produced by Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy, Abrams, and his long-time collaborator Bryan Burk. Abrams co-wrote the film with Lawrence Kasdan, who co-wrote the original trilogy films The Empire Strikes Back (1980) and Return of the Jedi. Abrams and Kasdan rewrote an initial script by Michael Arndt. John Williams, composer for the previous six films, returns to compose the score. Star Wars creator George Lucas served as creative consultant during the film's early production stages.

... as if you didn't know that all already.

Welcome to the Star Wars: The Force Awakens thread! Seeing as the last Star Wars thread was created when Disney bought Star Wars, this thread will also be serving as the general Star Wars thread. Because of that, I need to lay down some rules for this thread.

THREAD RULES:
  • USE SPOILER TAGS. This movie is obviously very big. I don't want this thread delving into what constitutes as a spoiler and what doesn't, so use spoiler tags when talking about the new movie and its plot points. The old characters being in the movie is not a spoiler, what happens to them is. :siren: Any spoilers that are untagged within a month of the movie's wide release (late night Thursday December 17th) will receive a longer-than average probation. :siren: Not everyone who posts here is going to watch the movie the night it comes out, so I''m setting this at a month to give people worried about spoilers a chance. Which leads to...
  • NO SPOILERS FOR THE FOLLOWING TWO MOVIES. This is the first movie in a trilogy. If you want to talk about the rumors and spoilers for those movies, go to the spoiler thread. Obviously if what happens into this movie leads into the next, it's okay to talk about that.
  • DO NOT MAKE THIS THREAD ABOUT SPECIFIC POSTERS. People can watch movies differently than you. Have a conversation about it, don't just call them a troll. If you think someone is actively trrolling, report them.

Just don't be a dick, basically. Let's enjoy (or not enjoy) some space sword fighting.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Dec 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I believe there was some mention about putting this in every Star Wars OP.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I just want to mention, for the record, that the Star Wars prequels are good too.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Dec 14, 2015

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I'll watch this movie with my family on christmas day so please stay courteous till then.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I personally enjoy the first six Star Wars movies.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bongo Bill posted:

I just want to mention, for the record, that the Star Wars prequels are good.
What kind of waffles do the prequels make though? :colbert:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

AfroLine posted:

I'll watch this movie with my family on christmas day so please stay curitious till then.

I actually forgot how hectic this time of the year is, so rules updated.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

How long until the movie is released? Is it only after reaching a certain points threshold?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

You know, I still haven't made any kind of plans or reservations to watch this. I should probably watch it pretty soon to avoid being horribly spoiled.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Full movie leaked online get it while it's hot!

http://tinyurl.com/qal7zro

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Star Wars is cool and good...or is it? The world may never know.

Meanwhile, enjoy this thing.

Terrorist Fistbump fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Dec 14, 2015

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Star Wars is cool and good...or is it? The world may never know.

I don't have any brothers or sisters
I don't know anyone.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just noticed the thread tag. Thank you for finally acknowledging what we all knew these films to be, GonSmithe.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

why is the previous thread being goldmined, other than that it's big

just curious, looking forward to the star wars

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I have successfully managed to not see any The Force Awakens related footage other than the 3 official trailers, and 1 Japanese international trailer. My first showing is going to be this upcoming Thursday night at 10:15PM. Bookmarking this thread ahead of time so that I can immediately :gizz: on here the moment I walk out of the theater.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

teagone posted:

I have successfully managed to not see any The Force Awakens related footage other than the 3 official trailers, and 1 Japanese international trailer. My first showing is going to be this upcoming Thursday night at 10:15PM. Bookmarking this thread ahead of time so that I can immediately :gizz: on here the moment I walk out of the theater.

ive done the opposite, as i have now just watched every trailer & tv spot in order

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Merchandising Merchandising!

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I can't believe chewie was a sleeper agent all along.

Namaste
May 5, 2007
good news for people who love bald news

dublish posted:

I believe there was some mention about putting this in every Star Wars OP.

YES!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I think the op should explain what star wars is.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Was just about to post this in the general star wars thread, but Harmy (Despecialized creator) talked with ABC Australia for an article:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-14/restoring-star-wars/6994818

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

In watching them right now. I am now content with Stat Wars for the time being.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

I think the op should explain what star wars is.

Who are these stars? Why are they at war?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Is this supposed to be a big release or not, none of the showings for it are sold out near me...

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The biggest release.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've been looking into the situation, and it seems as though all the apparent internet hype is just a big, expensive ARG targeted at CineD posters. Literally no one outside this forum has heard of this film and it's probably going to bomb harder than In the Heart of the Sea.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Oh wow a new Star Wars movie? I'm definitely going to go see this film!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I am cautiously optimistic, but I also come at this as a Star Trek fan, specifically TNG.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
I'm just saying, there's been more bad Star Treks than there have been bad Star Wars.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Fair warning, if you use this to make waffles for your kids, that's officially child abuse.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Aaronicon posted:

I'm just saying, there's been more bad Star Treks than there have been bad Star Wars.

Well they do outnumber them, there's been 12 theatrically released ST films and only 9 theatrically released SW films so far (including Clone Wars and the two Ewok movies which got theatrical releases overseas.)

Star Trek: Nemesis is pretty bad but I'm pretty sure that Ewoks: The Battle for Endor has it beat.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

i really don't think weird independent sci fi / fantasy needs its' own cinematic universe this feels excessive

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Ground floor.

Seeing this with my mostly-estranged dad when he comes back home for Christmas.

All the ads for Gilette ('a father passes knowledge down to his son!' :downs:) make me feel profoundly uncomfortable.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

ungulateman posted:

All the ads for Gilette ('a father passes knowledge down to his son!' :downs:) make me feel profoundly uncomfortable.
A LOT of the marketing for Star Wars-related products this year is predicated on this "IMPOSE THE MAGIC OF STAR WARS ON YOUR KIDS!!' and it really pisses me off, that Toys R Us one with the daughter is the worst of all.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
as far as I can tell the only good star wars characters have come from those 2 kotor games so they should probably make some movies about those. jolee, nihilus, kreia, hk47. probably cant do prequel stuff anymore though I guess lucas salted the earth there, that's too bad. you think you could transplant those characters forward or are they too ingrained in that time period? maybe for the next next reboot when the person playing rey is like 60 or 70 they could turn her character into kreia that'd be fun.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cat Machine posted:

A LOT of the marketing for Star Wars-related products this year is predicated on this "IMPOSE THE MAGIC OF STAR WARS ON YOUR KIDS!!' and it really pisses me off, that Toys R Us one with the daughter is the worst of all.

Don't forget "adult life has made you a pathetic, joyless husk but look Han Solo is flying by out the window look at your filthy broken Princess Leia toy and REMEMBER YOUTH!"

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Just watched RotJ.
-that celebration sequence at the end with the Ewoks goes on for ages. I mean, they have cuts to the fireworks in the sky, other dance circles, some ewok playing stormtrooper helmets like glass drums. Also: Chewy trying to shake everybody's hand.
-the cut to Corasant has people on a roof top partying. Including stormtroopers. I guess the city guard was sick of the imperials as well.
-The space battle is over quite quickly. Admiral Ackbar's crew in his spaceship are adorable. There is one guy who just walks in a circle looking flusted.
-There were moments I wonder if will be echoed in VII. Like, Luke watching the space battle from a distance which looked really cool. And the end scene where the main characters all line up and smile and cheer, like New Hope.

Jolly good film. So anybody cramming a marathon before the release? I'm thinking in order of: V, II, IV, VI, III and lastly I.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I have high hopes for this Star War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
In the old thread I was one of the PT naysayers but thanks to the discussions we had I went out and bought the 3 pack PT DVD set today and will watch them this week with an open heart and mind. :glomp:
Edit: after all that talk we had recently about comparing the different versions put out in different years I just noticed that the copies I bought have absolutely no information about what version they are anywhere on the packaging. They're just Episodes I, II and III, that's it. Not that I care either way, I just thought it was interesting to note.

ungulateman posted:

Seeing this with my mostly-estranged dad when he comes back home for Christmas.

I'm not telling you not to do this but I will point out that this franchise has had pretty much all of their film based around hosed up father/son relationships so far ..

Mr. Unlucky posted:

as far as I can tell the only good star wars characters have come from those 2 kotor games so they should probably make some movies about those. jolee, nihilus, kreia, hk47. probably cant do prequel stuff anymore though I guess lucas salted the earth there, that's too bad

Chopper from the Rebels cartoon is awesome as well. Also the 2016 Rogue One movie will be set between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope so it's going to be prequely-ish.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Dec 14, 2015

• Locked thread