Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Lord Hydronium posted:

Also, apparently y'all have a lot more cynical view of Obi-Wan's motives in the OT than I do.

Dickbag Obi-wan is a fun original trilogy theory brought to life by Ewan McGregor's portrayal in the prequels of a man who has compartmentalised the uselessness of the Jedi and their blind eye to corruption and inequality by pretending he's Space-Indiana Jones and tormenting his idiot teenage protege.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Schwarzwald posted:

Absolutely, but in this case what that appearance is meant to evoke is contradicted by the circumstances.
Completely fair, I think I just phrased it wrong; sequel Luke is evoking the same archetype of the bearded old wise mentor as Obi-Wan does in the OT (shown by their similar appearances), but both also clearly have a lot more going on with their characters than that.

josh04 posted:

Dickbag Obi-wan is a fun original trilogy theory brought to life by Ewan McGregor's portrayal in the prequels of a man who has compartmentalised the uselessness of the Jedi and their blind eye to corruption and inequality by pretending he's Space-Indiana Jones and tormenting his idiot teenage protege.
I see Obi-Wan as the best of the old Jedi Order - which unfortunately still makes him a member of the old Jedi Order, with all the prejudices and blind spots that implies. His actions in the OT mean well - I don't think he's simply manipulating Luke to be a weapon, and genuinely wants to guide him to restoring the Jedi - but he can't see past his own personal trauma and a lot of the issues that the Jedi of old had. Obi-Wan sees not killing Vader as one of his big mistakes, and so he can't envision any end but Luke completing his own unfinished task. (I'm also of the apparently minority opinion that "Then the Emperor has already won" isn't telling Luke to kill his father, but about Luke being able to kill his father.) Obi-Wan and Yoda see Luke running off to Cloud City as just Anakin trying to save Padme all over again (though they're not wrong that he's entirely useless there). And so on.

I think an important point is that neither he nor Yoda raise the Skywalker kids themselves, as they might if they just wanted weapons. Instead they're put into families, the exact opposite of what the old Jedi thought should be done, which tells me that they recognize at least that part of the problem with Anakin's upbringing. And Luke is only given the lightsaber and told to become a Jedi when the danger comes to them, which I think shows Obi-Wan trying to protect him from his heritage until he can no longer (including the lies about what happened to Anakin). That's not even really a defense of Obi-Wan, since it's really his way of coping with his own inaction in exile. But I think it indicates more than him just manipulating Luke to want to kill Vader and training him to be able to, which is the impression I get from some interpretations.

(Also I know the EU is a sketchy topic around these parts, but I recommend the novel Kenobi by John Jackson Miller for one take on Obi-Wan trying to reconcile his need to hide in exile with the idea that a Jedi should be out there helping people.)

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Oh oh, Rian Johnson is telling people to avoid the new trailer if they want to be unspoiled.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

The MSJ posted:

Oh oh, Rian Johnson is telling people to avoid the new trailer if they want to be unspoiled.

No, he's saying avoid the trailer if you want to be completely unspoiled. That's different.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/917049537843183618

Here's his statement

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

The MSJ posted:

BB8 is Snoke.

Edited for spoilers.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
FYI; AMC has listings up. Can't buy anything yet, but you can get to the page for the appropriate screening at the appropriate theater.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Think most theaters have listings up now. Saw listings for my local Marcus Cinema last night and organized with the same group of 7 to go see it opening night :neckbeard: Same theater I saw TFA at as well. Hope I can get the same seats.

[edit] And yeah, I don't plan on watching the trailer tonight, or any more promotional footage for TLJ. I am making an effort to go in devoid of any spoilers/info for this one. Only footage I've seen was the first teaser and that Disney Expo behind the scenes sizzle reel thing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

teagone posted:

Think most theaters have listings up now. Saw listings for my local Marcus Cinema last night and organized with the same group of 7 to go see it opening night :neckbeard: Same theater I saw TFA at as well. Hope I can get the same seats.

[edit] And yeah, I don't plan on watching the trailer tonight, or any more promotional footage for TLJ. I am making an effort to go in devoid of any spoilers/info for this one. Only footage I've seen was the first teaser and that Disney Expo behind the scenes sizzle reel thing.

Hey man! You're the one that clued me in to tickets going up for TFA. Lemme know if you see them again...wouldn't want to break the streak of "things you did for TFA"

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Gonna post the new thread after the trailer drops, taking name suggestions because I'm not good at thread titles.

Remember, it'll serve as the general Star Wars thread, not just as a Last Jedi thread.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

jivjov posted:

Hey man! You're the one that clued me in to tickets going up for TFA. Lemme know if you see them again...wouldn't want to break the streak of "things you did for TFA"

Haha, yeah I remember! I'll be sure to post in here if I manage to get onto a site that isn't being hammered into oblivion :cool::hf::cool:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

star wars thread: Return of the Attack of the Clones of the Last Jedi

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'll try to avoid the trailer but I'll probably end up watching it in front of Thor 3 or something and that'll be okay.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

Gonna post the new thread after the trailer drops, taking name suggestions because I'm not good at thread titles.

Remember, it'll serve as the general Star Wars thread, not just as a Last Jedi thread.

Disney Presents: A Shameless Ripoff of the Last Star Wars Thread

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Force Awakens The Last Jedi From His Nap

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

uh was anyone thrown in a 'line' on Fandango?!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

GonSmithe posted:

Star Wars: Once More, But With Feeling

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

GonSmithe posted:

Star Wars: The Big Binks Theory

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Salacious Crumb, A Star Wars Story

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

GonSmithe posted:

small luke, bigger luke, galaxy luke

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Everybody listen to this tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ3kV3Icm28

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

jivjov posted:

Dude, tickets just went up on Fandango. GO GO GO! Got mine just now.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
AMC IS SELLING GO GO GO GO

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Schwarzwald posted:

Star Wars: Once More, But With Feeling
Star Wars: Do It Again, Only Better

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Star wars thread: emperor paul saltines did nothing wrong

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

teagone posted:

Got Imax 3D tix for friday...holding out for Double Feature tix to go up for thursday...

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
How does one get into this queue...

teagone posted:

Lies

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Star Wars: They called the ninth Star Wars Episode 8

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lord Hydronium posted:

Star Wars: They called the ninth Star Wars "Episode 8"

10th. Don't forget about Clone Wars

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Star Wars: Attack of the Clowns

Serf
May 5, 2011

Got my tickets. AMC didn't even crash this time

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Star Wars: Droids are people

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Gahh, Fandango is spinning on Complete My Purchase.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I do not lie

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I bought tickets using my regal app :coal:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Leia front and center. :qq:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Thread title: I'm tired of all these Star Wars

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I, too, have secured tickets for my party. Thanks to reserved seating, we're ensured an excellent location in the auditorium. It is critically important that we all share this information with each other.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Bongo Bill posted:

I, too, have secured tickets for my party. Thanks to reserved seating, we're ensured an excellent location in the auditorium. It is critically important that we all share this information with each other.

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Regal (via Fandango) just worked for me after a few tries. I'm goin to the star war baby

• Locked thread