Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
The prequels are good.

My biggest worry about the sequels is that they'll play it too safe and won't have anything interesting to say. But I'm optimistic on this front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I was reading up on Sheev, I was interested in at what point does he decide he wants to do his Sheevy scheming. From the Star Wars wiki it only says that he started following along with the Siths' plan that seem to pre-date his arrival on the scene. I wonder if in the books they ever comment on what motivates Sheev, because otherwise it just sounds like he is doing Sith stuff because he's a Sith.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sheev_Palpatine

quote:

At some point during his life, Palpatine assumed the name Darth Sidious when he became apprenticed to the legendary Sith Lord Darth Plagueis the Wise,[8] who could allegedly influence the midi-chlorians to create life and prevent death. Unfortunately for Plagueis, Sidious killed his master in his sleep after being taught everything Plagueis knew about the dark side of the Force.[10]

Keeping his Sith identity a secret from the public eye, Sidious took it upon himself to execute the Sith's long-percolating plan to supplant the Old Republic with a new Sith Empire, and destroy the Jedi Order.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 14, 2015

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Going by Lucas's reactions they'll be really safe, vanilla films. Probably not as good or interesting as the prequels but we'll see.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

What kind of waffles do the prequels make though? :colbert:

Arglebargle III posted:

Burnt and meaty.

The Darth Vader Prequels Burger looked like it had been burnt to gently caress so that checks out:

Taste the flavour of the Dark Side of the Force!!! Mmmmm !!!

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Darth Vader Prequels Burger looked like it had been burnt to gently caress so that checks out:

If it's anything like the Halloween burger from this year, it's just an assload of green food coloring. It will turn your poop a delightful shade as well.

Fred Breakfast
Aug 12, 2003

Dark Vador Burger

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If that's what France thinks American food is like it's no loving wonder they hate us. They're not wrong, but Jesus.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yorkshire Tea posted:

A senate controlled by Palpatine! He's too dangerous to be put on trial! He controls the law itself!

"I am the law." - Senator Palpatine.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Did anyone watch the "60 Minutes Overtime" clips from last night? There's a segment where they're editing a scene between Rey and BB-8 and they're working on BB-8's voice for his lines of "dialogue". Needless to say his (her?) voice is cute as gently caress.

Don't watch it if you're avoiding spoilers though, because it reveals how Rey and BB-8 meet

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

So the premiere is tonight which means we'll probably start seeing stuff leak out about how good/bad the movie is before the review embargo on the 16th, right?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I keep envisioning Sith Lord #287 or whatever going, "I've taught my apprentice almost everything I know. Should I teach him that last bit? I know the previous 286 apprentices killed, or tried to kill their master, but I have a really special feeling about mine. Things will be different this time"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MrMojok posted:

I keep envisioning Sith Lord #287 or whatever going, "I've taught my apprentice almost everything I know. Should I teach him that last bit? I know the previous 286 apprentices killed, or tried to kill their master, but I have a really special feeling about mine. Things will be different this time"

Sith Lords are apparently like that alcoholic father who's never really proud of you unless you have the stones to actually stand up to them.

Except in this case standing up means killing them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Who titled Plageius "The Wise"? Just Sheev? Was he well known at the time or something?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

RBA Starblade posted:

Who titled Plageius "The Wise"? Just Sheev? Was he well known at the time or something?

There's not any canonical account of this, but I would assume just Sheev. He's trying to tempt Anakin with forbidden knowledge, so of course he would call the guy who discovered it "The Wise."

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Danger posted:

Going by Lucas's reactions they'll be really safe, vanilla films. Probably not as good or interesting as the prequels

is.. is this some sort of bait?:wtc:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Ehud posted:

So the premiere is tonight which means we'll probably start seeing stuff leak out about how good/bad the movie is before the review embargo on the 16th, right?

Yes, but reviewers signed an NDA to include no spoilers, so they'll just be vague "it was good and magical" or "lovely cashgrab" reviews, not anything substantial.

Until the one website says "gently caress it" and posts a full plot summary and then every other site does too.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Race Realists posted:

Going by the MCU it's not that much of a stretch.

We'll see if the MCU problems are limited to Marvel, though. Disney's animation stuff is usually fairly interesting.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Someone is probably going to blab tonight. There may not be an official account posted by anyone who was actually at the premiere and it certainly won't show up in any real publications, but the rumor sites will most likely get the rest of the spoilers.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Race Realists posted:

The prequels are controversial, subversive, and visually engaging. Maybe the new one will be, but Lucas's quip seems to have a good bit of subtext to it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Race Realists posted:

It's for the best you never looked at the last thread.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

SuperMechaGodzilla posted:

The prequels are controversial, subversive, and visually engaging. Maybe the new one will be, but Lucas's quip seems to have a good bit of subtext to it.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Race Realists posted:

It's called an "opinion". It's okay for yours to be different than the one expressed and you can even explain why!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Zoran posted:

There's not any canonical account of this, but I would assume just Sheev. He's trying to tempt Anakin with forbidden knowledge, so of course he would call the guy who discovered it "The Wise."

It's because kids were going apeshit for Lord of the Rings and the prequels were distant second bananas two out of three times.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Did anyone expect anything else though? Disney knew what they were doing when they hired JJ. He'll give us a safe but watchable relaunch of a franchise that gets the audience excited again. Rian Johnson will experiment a bit and likely give us the best of the new trilogy. Colin Trevorrow will make a flawed, but decent conclusion that fans will be split on hating.

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Star Wars is a flat circle.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

It's entirely possible to like the prequels and believe they are good movies without agreeing with one single thing that SMG posts.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

you said the rlm quote, now im going to snark you to death about how the prequels are actually cool and good and youre just a mindless sheep in a circlejerk! :smug:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The experimental poo poo will come from the one-shot movies. They're gonna play it real close to the vest with the numbered series.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Truly these central planks of a merchandising push from a weakening corporation calculated to buy another decade of market relevance and political influence will perhaps allow it to acquire proven Warner Communications IPs and begin the cycle again.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
really looking forward to Rouge One, but also a little worried because it seems a bit rushed to me

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Race Realists posted:

Did you spend any time at all in the previous thread?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Has JJ Abrams said anything about his philosophy or intentions for VII?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hey, is that really Mark Hammill in the car commercial? When I think aging icon from my youth, I really think about good mileage and a solid APR.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Jewel Repetition posted:

"We're rich bitch" - JJ Abrams, Disney

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jewel Repetition posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHxoIewdYI0

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Race Realists posted:

really looking forward to Rouge One, but also a little worried because it seems a bit rushed to me

How so? We've got another year to go before release, it seems to have gotten the same amount of production time as Episode VII.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Jewel Repetition posted:

The prequels were all about telling the fans that they really need to grow up, get laid, and set childish things aside, so I imagine the new ones will be, "no, it's still okay to like Star Wars, you're not a man-child, this is all as cool as you remember"

"The Force, it's calling you. Just let it in."

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

jivjov posted:

How so? We've got another year to go before release, it seems to have gotten the same amount of production time as Episode VII.

Speak of the devil...

I doubt we'll be getting it alongside TFA; prints are already out in the wild, and if the trailer is just now being shown around Lucasfilm, it's probably not attached to the film proper. Still, 'soon' seems to be the right word here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

computer parts posted:

It's pretty simple logic really. Guy loves his wife, guy gets a vision about his wife dying (and his previous one about his mom dying came true), guy learns that the Sith have the ability to save people from dying, guy finds out his boss is going to kill the only Sith left in the galaxy.

A ton of people would at least consider stopping the Sith lord from dying, especially when the executioner is himself violating the law.

But he didn't even "learn" that the Sith have the ability to save people from dying, he just heard a myth (are we supposed to think of Anakin as literal child who believes every story he is told?). Palpatine didn't offer him any powers, there was no proof that he could actually have such a power nor does he even know if the Sith still exist or who they are (up until that certain moment).
It's all just so flimsy as excuse for him to turn to the dark side. Sure he had bad visions about his wife but that's really not enough as justification/motivation, not to mention that it makes it even more stupid that he is in the end the one who hurts his wife. The whole way he acts and then "decides" to join the dark side doesn't feel organic. It's not even a real decission, his "turn" was more of an impulse. That might seem human on one hand but on the other hand it also made it way less dramatic than it could have been. Anakin stumbled to the dark side instead of being seduced by it. I know that some people will argue that's how it was supposed to be and everything else is just fan fiction in the minds of SW fans but it certainly doesn't add any sympathy towards Anakin and takes gravitas away from the whole story.
Until today I don't understand why Lucas wasted two movies before finally starting to tell the story of how Anakin Skywalker became Darth Vader (and yes that was THE reason to be excited for the prequels). On top of that the big dramatic moment wasn't even well setup for the final movie. Padme wasn't put in danger, there is no conflict between Anakin and Obi-Wam/the Jedi, Palpatine still hadn't revealed himself or really started to turn Anakin, Anakin himself was still 100% in the Jedi camp (and yes some teeny bitching about Obi-Wan doesn't change that) and hardly showed any character development or growth as person (in whatever direction). Parts of Dooku's character for example would have worked well with Anakin. There you have a former Jedi who was disappointed/felt betrayed by the Jedi and thus turned to the dark side. Why introduce such an additional character when you are already trying to tell the story of Darth Vader? I get the need for a big "villain" but having Dooku and Grievous was just unecessary and messy. I guess the problem was already in the pacing of the prequels. Setting the first film so far behind the other two was always going to cause problems in regards to story telling, the time gap was simply too big for a more cohesive story and while it was a good moment in TPM in hindsight it would have been better to keep Darth Maul around for the 2nd movie.
That way Anakin could have had his big moment in the 2nd movie against Maul with plenty of possibilities to create a dramatic story around it (revenge for Quin-Gon or whatever else Maul might have done in the 1st/2nd movie) and more importantly show more of the relationship between Anakin and Obi-Wan/the Jedi instead of wasting your screen time on all kinds of other plots (and I don't even mean the relationship with Padme, that's fine, even necessary to humanize Anakin though I wish it would have been done competently and with actors that had at least some chemistry with each other on screen). Also let Palpatine be more active instead of giving that screen time to Dooku and Grievous. Let him actually seduce Anakin. We got hints of that in the 3rd movie and those were among the best scenes in the prequels but it was too little and too late.
There was never a need for Palpatine to be the biggest undercover master manipulator in space history. His identity doesn't need to be a secret until the third movie. It could have already been revealed in the 2nd movie (at least to some people) and then be used to escalate the story a lot sooner (and there are still enough ways to get Palpatine into power). You could even have used that reveal in showing how ineffective the Jedi have become, not just to the audience but especially to Anakin. Give him an actual side he can turn to/be seduced by instead of this vague background threat the Sith were in the first two prequel movies which was imo one of the biggest problems of the prequels. It not only made the Jedi look more stupid than plausible but it also created problems for the story because Lucas constantly had to invent new factions and characters he could throw at Anakin and the Jedi despite Palpatine/the Sith being the most interesting and the whole "reason" for the prequels in the first place.
The original movies were about those two big forces (pun intended) with the Rebellion being a lot more in the background (sometimes literally being in the background) while the prequels pushed the Republic and the Separatists right into our faces (including their politics) and made the Jedi/the Sith side characters. That's just bad if your main character is Anakin/Darth Vader and not some Star Wars space politician and your famous factions are the Jedi and Sith and not space parties. Do all of that if you want to tell the story of Bail Organa but keep it to a minimum if you want to tell an epic scfi-fantasy story and not a political drama.

• Locked thread