Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fred Breakfast
Aug 12, 2003

Zoran posted:

It's entirely possible to like the prequels and believe they are good movies without agreeing with one single thing that SMG posts.

It's also entirely possible for people to believe in unicorns and a flat earth too you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Honestly it was the previous film where I became completely disconnected from the original prequels at that point. Anakin gets back from murdering a whole tribe of Sand People, revealing to Padme that he not only killed the men but the women and the children too.

And then...nothing. She literally says nothing. It's almost forgotten in the next 2 minutes and its never brought up again. It's like she didn't care, and we shouldn't either. I remember my immersion was so broken that I was actually looking around the theater at people rather than watching the film.

She says, "To be angry is to be human." She's rationalizing for him.

Padmé's big flaw is that she refuses to see the worst in her friends until it's too late. She did it with Senator Palpatine and she does it again with Anakin. And Anakin in turn desperately wants to be validated, which is why he likes Palpatine and Padmé so much. The difference between the two is that Padmé reassures him of his goodness, whereas Palpatine praises him for his greatness.

Fred Breakfast
Aug 12, 2003

LinkesAuge posted:

But he didn't even "learn" that the Sith have the ability to save people from dying, he just heard a myth (are we supposed to think of Anakin as literal child who believes every story he is told?). Palpatine didn't offer him any powers, there was no proof that he could actually have such a power nor does he even know if the Sith still exist or who they are (up until that certain moment).

It's all just so flimsy as excuse for him to turn to the dark side. Sure he had bad visions about his wife but that's really not enough as justification/motivation, not to mention that it makes it even more stupid that he is in the end the one who hurts his wife. The whole way he acts and then "decides" to join the dark side doesn't feel organic. It's not even a real decission, his "turn" was more of an impulse. That might seem human on one hand but on the other hand it also made it way less dramatic than it could have been. Anakin stumbled to the dark side instead of being seduced by it. I know that some people will argue that's how it was supposed to be and everything else is just fan fiction in the minds of SW fans but it certainly doesn't add any sympathy towards Anakin and takes gravitas away from the whole story.

Until today I don't understand why Lucas wasted two movies before finally starting to tell the story of how Anakin Skywalker became Darth Vader (and yes that was THE reason to be excited for the prequels). On top of that the big dramatic moment wasn't even well setup for the final movie. Padme wasn't put in danger, there is no conflict between Anakin and Obi-Wam/the Jedi, Palpatine still hadn't revealed himself or really started to turn Anakin, Anakin himself was still 100% in the Jedi camp (and yes some teeny bitching about Obi-Wan doesn't change that) and hardly showed any character development or growth as person (in whatever direction).

Parts of Dooku's character for example would have worked well with Anakin. There you have a former Jedi who was disappointed/felt betrayed by the Jedi and thus turned to the dark side. Why introduce such an additional character when you are already trying to tell the story of Darth Vader? I get the need for a big "villain" but having Dooku and Grievous was just unecessary and messy. I guess the problem was already in the pacing of the prequels. Setting the first film so far behind the other two was always going to cause problems in regards to story telling, the time gap was simply too big for a more cohesive story and while it was a good moment in TPM in hindsight it would have been better to keep Darth Maul around for the 2nd movie.

That way Anakin could have had his big moment in the 2nd movie against Maul with plenty of possibilities to create a dramatic story around it (revenge for Quin-Gon or whatever else Maul might have done in the 1st/2nd movie) and more importantly show more of the relationship between Anakin and Obi-Wan/the Jedi instead of wasting your screen time on all kinds of other plots (and I don't even mean the relationship with Padme, that's fine, even necessary to humanize Anakin though I wish it would have been done competently and with actors that had at least some chemistry with each other on screen). Also let Palpatine be more active instead of giving that screen time to Dooku and Grievous. Let him actually seduce Anakin. We got hints of that in the 3rd movie and those were among the best scenes in the prequels but it was too little and too late.

There was never a need for Palpatine to be the biggest undercover master manipulator in space history. His identity doesn't need to be a secret until the third movie. It could have already been revealed in the 2nd movie (at least to some people) and then be used to escalate the story a lot sooner (and there are still enough ways to get Palpatine into power). You could even have used that reveal in showing how ineffective the Jedi have become, not just to the audience but especially to Anakin. Give him an actual side he can turn to/be seduced by instead of this vague background threat the Sith were in the first two prequel movies which was imo one of the biggest problems of the prequels. It not only made the Jedi look more stupid than plausible but it also created problems for the story because Lucas constantly had to invent new factions and characters he could throw at Anakin and the Jedi despite Palpatine/the Sith being the most interesting and the whole "reason" for the prequels in the first place.

The original movies were about those two big forces (pun intended) with the Rebellion being a lot more in the background (sometimes literally being in the background) while the prequels pushed the Republic and the Separatists right into our faces (including their politics) and made the Jedi/the Sith side characters. That's just bad if your main character is Anakin/Darth Vader and not some Star Wars space politician and your famous factions are the Jedi and Sith and not space parties. Do all of that if you want to tell the story of Bail Organa but keep it to a minimum if you want to tell an epic scfi-fantasy story and not a political drama.

Is this better?

Fred Breakfast
Aug 12, 2003

Zoran posted:

Padmé's big flaw is that she refuses to see the worst in her friends until it's too late. She did it with Senator Palpatine and she does it again with Anakin. And Anakin in turn desperately wants to be validated, which is why he likes Palpatine and Padmé so much. The difference between the two is that Padmé reassures him of his goodness, whereas Palpatine praises him for his greatness.

I would't call Padme's trust of Palpatine a flaw. The whole point of his character is deceit, and he's drat good at it. People only figure out what his deal is when he wants people to actually know.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Frackie Robinson posted:

The prequels were all about telling the fans that they really need to grow up, get laid, and set childish things aside, so I imagine the new ones will be, "no, it's still okay to like Star Wars, you're not a man-child, this is all as cool as you remember"

I don't know, the prequels kind of went out of their way to make jedis look cool and make getting laid look like a horrible ordeal that causes the protagonist's downfall. Unless you mean they made people grow up by not liking Star Wars anymore.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zoran posted:

You might say her faith in her friends is her weakness.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Steve2911 posted:

Padme is a racist.

Yep. The Searchers is pretty overtly referenced in ANH and AOtC- Luke is Martin, Anakin is Ethan. Padme gets to be Vera Miles' racist-rear end romantic interest

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Here's my big manifesto for how the prequels could have been done better: Anakin should have been cast older in episode 1.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Jewel Repetition posted:

I don't know, the prequels kind of went out of their way to make jedis look cool and make getting laid look like a horrible ordeal that causes the protagonist's downfall. Unless you mean they made people grow up by not liking Star Wars anymore.

The prequels go out of their way to much make the Jedi look cool, but also show them to be arrogant and out-of-touch. Anakin doesn't fall because he gets laid, he falls because he has a whole bunch of emotional hangups that nobody in the Order can help him with.

Now if the sequels make Luke's new Jedi into a bunch of stoic, celibate monks, we'll know that everyone involved missed the point.

Fred Breakfast posted:

I would't call Padme's trust of Palpatine a flaw. The whole point of his character is deceit, and he's drat good at it. People only figure out what his deal is when he wants people to actually know.

Yeah, but the way Palpatine deceives people is by finding their flaws and exploiting them. Anakin laps up praise from a kindly old grandfather. The Jedi never suspect him because they don't think they could ever be outsmarted. Dooku mistakes his big role for actual importance. Padmé sees him as an experience ally fighting hard for her in the Senate, and she never rethinks that position.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I don't like sand people. They're coarse, and rough, and irritating, and they get everywhere.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

My favorite ideas for making the prequels better are still Belated Media's. I assume everyone here has seen them.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
What if Star Wars Episode II was IN COLOR?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
When did the jedi look cool?

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

drunkill posted:

Was just about to post this in the general star wars thread, but Harmy (Despecialized creator) talked with ABC Australia for an article:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-14/restoring-star-wars/6994818

Harmy is doing gods work

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

sassassin posted:

They have awesome laser swords and magic powers. (It's superficial.)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Doing acrobatic flip jumps all the time while fighting looks cool, sorry prequel haters.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Where's Lando this is bullshit.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

computer parts posted:

It's pretty simple logic really. Guy loves his wife, guy gets a vision about his wife dying (and his previous one about his mom dying came true), guy learns that the Sith have the ability to save people from dying, guy finds out his boss is going to kill the only Sith left in the galaxy.

A ton of people would at least consider stopping the Sith lord from dying, especially when the executioner is himself violating the law.

Still praying for Episode 7 to have the revelation that Mace Windu survived and lived on whatever Coruscant's surface looks like as a handless hobo for like 60 years. Like one of those WWII vets who got stranded on an island and still wants to kill the Japanese.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Here's my big manifesto for how the prequels could have been done better: Anakin should have been cast older in episode 1.

I legitimately think that Anakin should have been the same age as Luke. I think a lot of things would flow more easily and frankly make more sense.

Edit: Also it wouldn't have ruined some poor bastard's life.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 14, 2015

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

sassassin posted:

Getting mowed down by a bunch of frail, goofy robots and talking termites

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Zoran posted:

The prequels go out of their way to much make the Jedi look cool, but also show them to be arrogant and out-of-touch. Anakin doesn't fall because he gets laid, he falls because he has a whole bunch of emotional hangups that nobody in the Order can help him with.

They're really explicit about Anakin's attachment to Padme being against the rules of the jedi order and being the thing that lets the dark side into him. She's the lever Sidious uses.

Plus the jedi being arrogant and out of touch is what makes them so cool/appealing. Remember the scene in ANH where some commandante starts chastising Vader about being obsessed with the force and loving up the war so Vader chokes him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzs-OvfG8tE&t=78s

It makes him look like a badass and he eventually turns out to be right.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bongo Bill posted:

Doing acrobatic flip jumps all the time while fighting looks cool, sorry prequel haters.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The Jedi hold council in a literal ivory tower.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Bongo Bill posted:

Nah but Darth Maul was rad.

He was the perfect middle ground between boring rear end Dooku and going way too far with Grievous' helicopter arms.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

ATP_Power posted:

Another thing that struck me in TPM is the scene where Anakin is packing up and is talking to C3P0 about how he wasn't going to be able to finish him, and would try to make sure his mom wouldn't sell him. When the scene looks at C3P0 it's a normal shot, but when the camera is on Anakin (the recently freed slave) talking about how he'll make sure his mom doesn't sell 3P0, it's shot from what looks like 3P0's first person perspective. Is that one of the only times we have a first person shot in any of the Star Wars films? It really stood out to me.

There's this one:

Which is relevant, because:

First Words:

THREEPIO : How do you do, I am See-Threepio, Human Cyborg Relations. How
might I serve you?
PADME : He's perfect.

DARTH VADER: Where is Padme? Is she safe, is she all right?

Baby Steps:

First and Last Moments of Vulnerability:

THREEPIO : My parts are showing? Oh, my goodness.

DARTH VADER: I couldn't have! She was alive! I felt her! She was alive! It's impossible! No!!!

quote:

GEORGE LUCAS: And this is the payoff of this Darth Vader killing his subordinates Piett joke. Is this one where he comes down at the very end of the movie and you fully expect him to get killed and he doesn't. He's too upset to even bother with killing his subordinates. Because we're talking about his son now. So he's conflicted. It's not just hate anymore. There's more to it than that. He's C-3PO disassembled.

MAN'S VOICE: Who are you?

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 14, 2015

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

ImpAtom posted:

I legitimately think that Anakin should have been the same age as Luke. I think a lot of things would flow more easily and frankly make more sense.

Edit: Also it wouldn't have ruined some poor bastard's life.

"The student has now become the master. "

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Frackie Robinson posted:

Getting mowed down by a bunch of frail goofy robots and talking termites

Man I forgot how hard the Geo...dudes get annihilated in Ep. 2. Carved all up, eaten by animals, stomped into paste after being roasted on hot metal. Poor little geodudes.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

What is this a shot of? I can't tell what the object is. Also your first "First words" image is broken btw.

Fred Breakfast
Aug 12, 2003

Zoran posted:

Yeah, but the way Palpatine deceives people is by finding their flaws and exploiting them. Anakin laps up praise from a kindly old grandfather. The Jedi never suspect him because they don't think they could ever be outsmarted. Dooku mistakes his big role for actual importance. Padmé sees him as an experience ally fighting hard for her in the Senate, and she never rethinks that position.

I'll give you Anakin, but the relationship between Palpatine and Padme is on the rocks by the time Revenge of the Sith rolls around though, being that even his alter ego is pretty pro war and pro power and Padme isn't. There's a deleted scene or two from the last one that shows that quite well.

The Jedi definitely suspect something by the time of Revenge of the Sith too. That's why they want Anakin to spy on Palpatine when he gets appointed to the Jedi Council. They don't think he's THE sith lord, but by the end of Attack of the Clones, they even say they should keep a closer eye on the senate. And then Mace Windu has this line in RotS:

Mace Windu posted:

I sense a plot to destroy the Jedi. The dark side of the Force surrounds the Chancellor.

Can you guys tell I watched the PT this past weekend for the first time in forever?

Edit:

Cnut the Great posted:

MAN'S VOICE: Who are you?

This is one of the few of your posts where I can't see the similarity. Like, at all.

Fred Breakfast fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 14, 2015

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's a shot of C3PO's legs flying across the floor when a mean Stormtrooper shot him to poo poo.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

What is this a shot of? I can't tell what the object is. Also your first "First words" image is broken btw.

That's C-3PO's foot, and his giant dong.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

lol thanks, I didn't recognize the scene.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ok your content in the old thread was interesting but this is absolute nonsense.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Jewel Repetition posted:

They're really explicit about Anakin's attachment to Padme being against the rules of the jedi order and being the thing that lets the dark side into him. She's the lever Sidious uses.

Repeat after me: the Jedi are wrong. Their philosophy causes all sorts of problems in the prequels, and then Luke proves them wrong once and for all in the original trilogy.

Jewel Repetition posted:

My favorite ideas for making the prequels better are still Belated Media's. I assume everyone here has seen them.

I just watched the TPM one. Personally, I think the number one red flag in prequel criticism is when someone says that Jar-Jar was "not important." Annoying? Sure! Some of the jokes involving him fell flat? Yep! But not important? Qui-Gon sees value in him when no one else (including the audience and also all the other characters) does. Eventually, it's Jar-Jar who shows Amidala that the solution to her problem was in front of her the whole time. Padmé didn't need to go to Coruscant and she didn't need to put Palpatine in power, but she did, just because her society was too racist to even consider asking the Gungans for help. Padmé's breakthrough is in overcoming her own prejudices, and it only happens because Qui-Gon kept Jar-Jar around.

Fred Breakfast posted:

I'll give you Anakin, but the relationship between Palpatine and Padme is on the rocks by the time Revenge of the Sith rolls around though, being that even his alter ego is pretty pro war and pro power and Padme isn't. There's a deleted scene or two from the last one that shows that quite well.

Right. I was trying to elaborate on my earlier point—Padmé trusts people she shouldn't until well after it's too late to fix her mistake. By ROTS she no longer is on Palpatine's side, but he seems to have like a 94% approval rating. She can't build an effective opposition anymore.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Steve2911 posted:

Ok your content in the old thread was interesting but this is absolute nonsense.

The prequel trilogy shots line up really well. Not so sure on the ESB ones.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

nerdbot posted:

Still praying for Episode 7 to have the revelation that Mace Windu survived and lived on whatever Coruscant's surface looks like as a handless hobo for like 60 years. Like one of those WWII vets who got stranded on an island and still wants to kill the Japanese.

In the previous thread, someone posted a Lucas interview where he said verbatim that this line of thinking is why he had Maul cut in half so the audience knows he's dead and gone.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Zoran posted:

I just watched the TPM one. Personally, I think the number one red flag in prequel criticism is when someone says that Jar-Jar was "not important." Annoying? Sure! Some of the jokes involving him fell flat? Yep! But not important? Qui-Gon sees value in him when no one else (including the audience and also all the other characters) does. Eventually, it's Jar-Jar who shows Amidala that the solution to her problem was in front of her the whole time. Padmé didn't need to go to Coruscant and she didn't need to put Palpatine in power, but she did, just because her society was too racist to even consider asking the Gungans for help. Padmé's breakthrough is in overcoming her own prejudices, and it only happens because Qui-Gon kept Jar-Jar around.

Qui Gon thinks no more of Jar Jar than anyone else and keeps him around when he's useful because he has no other options.

Then Jar Jar is tricked into starting a galactic war and ushering in 20+ years of hell.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Fred Breakfast posted:

This is one of the few of your posts where I can't see the similarity. Like, at all.

You mean visual similarities? That's not really the point in this case (though there are some obvious ones in the ones from the PT). The screenshots are of moments where the same sorts of things are being depicted, from a character and thematic standpoint.

jivjov posted:

The prequel trilogy shots line up really well. Not so sure on the ESB ones.

The ESB ones aren't really supposed to be visually similar. But in each case, it's the moment and immediate aftermath of the character's "disassembly" (whether it be physical or emotional).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Steve2911 posted:

Qui Gon thinks no more of Jar Jar than anyone else and keeps him around when he's useful because he has no other options.

Then Jar Jar is tricked into starting a galactic war and ushering in 20+ years of hell.

Qui-Gon didn't really need a navigator to get through the planet core. All the navigating shown on-screen is done by Qui-Gon himself. Obi-Wan wanted to leave Jar Jar behind in Otoh Gunga, and Qui-Gon wouldn't let him.

• Locked thread