Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Most definitely fake... But... Oh god... :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

kiimo posted:

I'm still at a loss as to why they changed Luke saying "You're lucky you don't taste very good" to Artoo after he gets spit out of the swamp to "You're lucky to get out of there".

That was what the line was in the original audio mix when the film was first released on 70 mm film. "You're lucky to get out of there" is literally the original line that you would have heard in theaters if you saw Empire during its first month of release. The was changed for the 35 mm version, which was sent out a month after the 70 mm version in a wider release, and which featured many other small changes to the film that had been made by Lucas after the 70 mm version had already been finalized and sent out.

By the time the OT was being remastered for the Special Editions, the audio had become very badly degraded in certain places, and so pieces of the original audio track were subbed in for those portions. That's where the alternate Luke line in ESB and the alternate Han line in ROTJ during the sarlacc battle come from. They're just alternate takes of lines used to replace ones that had degraded too badly to be properly restored.

There are many other minor differences between the audio mixes of various releases (including the VHS releases) which are so minor that most people never noticed or cared about them. But they're there, and the reasons for them are completely reasonable and innocent. This isn't a phenomenon limited to Star Wars film releases, by the way.

But if you're in any way interested in fidelity to the "original" version, I'm afraid the line in the Special Edition is the one you're looking for.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Wow that's nuts. I did see the movie in the theater but I remember looking at the newspaper as a kid (movies were next to the comics in my paper growing up) and seeing Empire starting to fall away from some theaters and begging my parents to take me before it was gone from theaters entirely so I definitely didn't see it with that line. Weird.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Jewel Repetition posted:

Yeah I liked it being about ultimate forgiveness a lot more than I liked the prequels being about Buddhist detachment. But in the end I'm still not convinced that the prequels weren't strongly saying Anakin's relationship was his downfall or were promoting love or maturity in any way.

If you approach the prequels with the fundamental assumption that the Jedi Order—as an institution—is noble and just and wise all the time, then those films definitely suck and make no sense.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
hoping this movie has lasers in it at some point, i really like lasers

CalmDownMate
Dec 3, 2015

by Shine
So i'm guessing this is still embargoed?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Steve2911 posted:

Padme is a racist.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/msnbcs-melissa-harris-perry-star-wars-is-racist-because-darth-vader-is-a-black-guy/

quote:

“I know why I have feelings — good, bad and otherwise — about Star Wars,” Perry explained. “…I spent the whole day talking about the Darth Vader situation.”

“The part where he was totally a black guy, whose name was basically James Earl Jones,” she said. “While he was black he was terrible and bad, awful and used to cut off white men’s hand, and didn’t actually claim his son. But as soon as he claims his son, goes over to the good, takes off his mask and he is white — yes, I have many feelings about that.”

crosspostin.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

CalmDownMate posted:

So i'm guessing this is still embargoed?

til Wednesday, yeah

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Hilarious. I wonder what she'd think of one of the Villains of Rebels being voiced by a black guy.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Most definitely fake... But... Oh god... :psyduck:

But what if it's not?

What if the movie is out there....right...now...

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Apparently everyone camping outside Mann's Chinese Theater was just invited inside by Disney/Lucasfilm executives to watch the movie.

Expect spoilers in several hours.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Their hospitality will be repaid by endless internet bitching.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Jack Gladney posted:

Their hospitality will be repaid by endless internet bitching.

Begun, the flame wars have.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Gonz posted:

Apparently everyone camping outside Mann's Chinese Theater was just invited inside by Disney/Lucasfilm executives to watch the movie.

Like...people just waiting in line (crazy early) get a special screening?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I can see that. Honestly Lucasfilm has been doing everything they can to say "FANS! WE LOVE YOU! WE LOVE YOU! NOT LIKE THAT LAST GUY WHO DIDN'T! WE'RE HERE MY BABIES. WE LOVE YOU!!"

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That seems silly but it is cold for LA and windy as gently caress outside, maybe they felt bad for them.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

jivjov posted:

Like...people just waiting in line (crazy early) get a special screening?

Yeah. Looking further into it, it looks like the first 100 people in line were invited to the premiere.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I hope they brought them all in and then played Attack of the Clones.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

kiimo posted:

I hope they brought them all in and then played Attack of the Clones.

That would be cold as ice and I would laugh until my skull hurt.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Nah, Han Shoots last special Edition if you really wanna make over-obsessed star wars nerds mad.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Steve2911 posted:

TPM is somehow infinitely better looking than AOTC. It's bizarre.
Digital

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Gonz posted:

Yeah. Looking further into it, it looks like the first 100 people in line were invited to the premiere.

Bye thread; gonna go line up at my AMC now and hope they pity me.

EDIT: Imagine being the 101st person in that line

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

jivjov posted:

Bye thread; gonna go line up at my AMC now and hope they pity me.

EDIT: Imagine being the 101st person in that line

I think you mean first in line for the real showing.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Gonz posted:

12/15/15-12/22/15 - It's awesome
12/22/15-6/2016 - It's okay
6/2016-2022 - It's terrible
2022-??? - It's better than you remember

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The scathing reviews of Harry Potter books 4-7 on here immediately come to mind.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: WHAT IS THIS loving GARBAGE

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

kiimo posted:

The scathing reviews of Harry Potter books 4-7 on here immediately come to mind.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: WHAT IS THIS loving GARBAGE

To be fair GoF was kinda garbage, and the complaints about angsty Harry in 5 are pretty valid, but 6 and 7 were great and no one had any right to complain about them.

[Edit: Oh right, Star Wars thread. Anyone watching the Red Carpet?]

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Timby posted:

Billy Dee Williams is barely mobile.

I have the ultimate, canon, solution:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

lelandjs posted:

[Edit: Oh right, Star Wars thread. Anyone watching the Red Carpet?]

I am.

I don't own any Star Wars merchandise except the DVDs, however I'm currently watching the red carpet premiere. Where does this place me on the nerd scale?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mahoning posted:

I am.

I don't own any Star Wars merchandise except the DVDs, however I'm currently watching the red carpet premiere. Where does this place me on the nerd scale?

Fake geek girl.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

Another goldmine waiting to happen.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

Space diabetes claims another victim

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So uh John Boyega wore a single leather glove on his right hand on the red carpet and went out of his way to show off that fact... Wonder if he's trolling.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Who was the guy who showed up in head to toe green paint, a pink bathrobe and yoda ears?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

lelandjs posted:

So uh John Boyega wore a single leather glove on his right hand on the red carpet and went out of his way to show off that fact... Wonder if he's trolling.

Probably trolling, but I wouldn't be surprised if he lost a limb. Happens to almost every Jedi it seems.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

lelandjs posted:

Everything I've seen from this dude makes me like him. :allears:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Pyronic posted:

Who was the guy who showed up in head to toe green paint, a pink bathrobe and yoda ears?

Joseph Gordon-Levitt, seems like:

Pajama pants not lore-appropriate, 7/10. :v:

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

lelandjs posted:

Turns out Michael Jackson is getting CGI'd into this movie as Snoke

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Everything I've seen from this dude makes me like him. :allears:

His snapchat story is loving hilarious. Dude is so pumped to be in Star Wars.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

GonSmithe posted:

Can you blame him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeez
May 28, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

Is there anywhere where those of us who don't have snapchat can see it?

• Locked thread