Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

WatermelonGun posted:

Where's Lando this is bullshit.

Billy Dee Williams is barely mobile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Chill Penguin posted:

Wait a sec - is this some kinda gimped edition, lacking special features??

Looks like it. The Target edition has 20 minutes of extra content so it sounds like they're doing the retailer-exclusive poo poo. So wait six months for a full release.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

turtlecrunch posted:

All versions should have the special features per the trailer, but Target's version has an extra 20 minutes of interviews because apparently retailer exclusives aren't just for videogames anymore.

At least it looks like it won't be as bad as Star Trek Into Darkness, where you literally had to buy the movie from Best Buy, Target, iTunes and Xbox Video to get all the special features.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

turtlecrunch posted:

John Boyega got the lead role in Pacific Rim 2, aka the movie I thought was cancelled the last time I looked at it http://deadline.com/2016/06/john-boyega-pacific-rim-sequel-star-wars-the-force-awakens-1201767756/

Pretty sure it was canceled until Legendary was bought by a Chinese media conglomerate, since the first movie made a poo poo-ton of money there.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

euphronius posted:

Hayden was very good in ROTS.

He really, really wasn't. Granted, he was having to sell some awful dialogue, but bits like "You underestimate my power" are just cringe-worthy.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Polo-Rican posted:

In The Force Awakens do they ever say why they're trying to find Luke? They already blew up the new Death Star - in fact, it seemed pretty easy to blow up! What specifically do they want Luke to do?

The First Order wants to find Luke because it wants to eliminate the last genuine threat it feels there is. Kylo Ren wants to find Luke because he's obsessed with his self-hatred and hatred of his family. The Resistance wants to protect him from both.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm of mixed minds concerning Colin Trevorrow directing episode 9. For all of Jurassic World's flaws, I think it's to Trevorrow's credit that it felt very much like a Spielberg movie. I'd be willing to trust that he could ape Lucas's style.

I think the key will be who writes IX. As I recall, Rian Johnson's deal had him writing and directing VIII and then doing a full story treatment for IX based upon his original pitch. If they stick to that, we might not be in terrible shape. Trevorrow's a really genuinely competent director, I just don't trust him handling a script.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Spacebump posted:

So when they made EU into Legends, what was the last thing that happened to Luke etc? (I assume they aren't allowed to make stories in the Legends universe anymore)

He died.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

El Burbo posted:

The Shaw replacement is questionable but this one is good

The visual replacement is good but the new dialogue is awful.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Apollodorus posted:

Yeah that does look better. But someone mentioned a script change - what is it?

Original version:

quote:

Darth Vader: [kneeling before Emperor Palpatine's hologram] What is thy bidding, my master?

Emperor Palpatine: There is a great disturbance in the Force.

Darth Vader: I have felt it.

Emperor Palpatine: We have a new enemy. Luke Skywalker.

Darth Vader: Yes, my master.

Emperor Palpatine: He could destroy us.

Darth Vader: He's just a boy. Obi-Wan can no longer help him.

Emperor Palpatine: The Force is strong with him. The son of Skywalker must not become a Jedi.

Darth Vader: If he could be turned, he would become a powerful ally.

Emperor Palpatine: [intrigued] Yes... He would be a great asset. Can it be done?

Darth Vader: He will join us or die, master.

New version:

quote:

Darth Vader: [kneeling before Emperor Palpatine's hologram] What is thy bidding, my master?

Emperor Palpatine: There is a great disturbance in the Force.

Darth Vader: I have felt it.

Emperor Palpatine: We have a new enemy. The young Rebel who destroyed the Death Star. I have no doubt this boy is the offspring of Anakin Skywalker.

Darth Vader: How is that possible?

Emperor Palpatine: Search your feelings, Lord Vader. You will know it to be true. He could destroy us.

Darth Vader: He's just a boy. Obi-Wan can no longer help him.

Emperor Palpatine: The Force is strong with him. The son of Skywalker must not become a Jedi.

Darth Vader: If he could be turned, he would become a powerful ally.

Emperor Palpatine: [intrigued] Yes... He would be a great asset. Can it be done?

Darth Vader: He will join us or die, master.

It's a small change but it's just awful, clunky dialogue.

Timby fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 26, 2016

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cross-Section posted:

I actually really dig his MoH scores in addition to the stuff he did for Mercenaries, but his incidental stuff at least has all sounded a bit samey to me since Star Trek 09.

I think he just hits point where he's overworked. Like, in 2009, he did Star Trek, Up and Land of the Lost, and the only one of those that really stood out was Up. In 2011, I think he had to do Ghost Protocol, Cars 2, 50 / 50, Super 8 and I think something else, and all of them suffered. Same thing happened last year, when he crammed Jurassic World, Tomorrowland, Jupiter Ascending and Inside Out into his schedule -- while none of the work was bad, he clearly didn't have the time to give each score the attention it deserved.

jivjov posted:

I'm expecting the Rogue One score to be like a lot of Star Wars video game scores. Wholesale theft of a bunch of John Williams with a splash of original composition.

Giacchino actually said in an interview with EW a few weeks ago that the score is about 95 percent original with only brief references to the Williams scores.

Also, the review embargo for Rogue One doesn't lift until 5 p.m. Eastern on December 13.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bongo Bill posted:

There are only two Clone Wars things. The Clone Wars movie was a pilot or animation test for the CG series that was converted to a theatrical release on short notice.

I believe the movie was the first four episodes of the show stitched together as a movie, because Lucas loved the animation style.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Neo Rasa posted:

Amazingly two of the cast members of that unused new crew do appear in the movie very very briefly, they're the two that get killed in the transporter accident.

David Gautreaux, who was to play Phase II's Spock replacement, Xon, appears as the commander of the Epsilon IX station that gets consumed by V'Ger. Jon Rashad Kamal (Sonak) and Susan Sullivan (the transporter victims) were glorified extras.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hodgepodge posted:

Vader says he wants to "end this divisive conflict" in literally the best known scene in the entire series.

He doesn't say "divisive."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I'll never understand how they botched that makeup so badly when it was pretty much perfect in Jedi. McDiarmid looks like he's wearing fifteen pounds of foam latex on his face.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Maybe I'm naive, but for Christ's sake, has Disney not come to the realization that anything connected to Star Wars is going to make half a billion without breaking a sweat?

After Rogue One made more money than even Disney expected, I guarantee you they focus-group every new Star Wars project into oblivion to make sure it makes at least a full billion.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

IanTheM posted:

I can see how they would be the wrong fit for the tone that Kathleen Kennedy was going for, but you'd think they'd have had more forethought with that when it came to choosing directors. They've mostly done comedies, and ones that aren't visually brilliantly shot or anything when it comes to the live action ones.

The most bizarre thing is that it comes after six months of shooting. Why now? What was the straw that broke the camel's back to fire them when production is very nearly done?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Milky Moor posted:

What's the news on that?

Announced two years ago with Bryan Fuller at the helm, thirteen-episode season with a single story arc. Originally scheduled to start shooting in August of last year to meet a January 2017 launch date. August rolls around, and they haven't even started casting or working on the sets because Fuller's a notorious perfectionist prima donna and was still working on just the pilot script and hadn't even begun working on the stories for the next twelve episodes - so literally all CBS can show at its big TCA event is a terribly animated CGI teaser with the title and logo.

CBS delays things for a month or two to give Fuller a little more time. Fuller continues to fart around (bear in mind he was also busy with American Gods) and only has the scripts for the first two episodes completed. CBS fires him and replaces him with two producers who have never run a TV show before, and hires Akiva Goldman to help out in the writers' room. The series is delayed from January to May.

Turns out they don't even start shooting the series until the last week of January (when CBS announces a nebulous "fall 2017" release), and it takes them two months to shoot just the pilot episode (and midway through filming, one actor literally had his role switched from a Klingon to a Starfleet officer). They're still making casting announcements well into March. Insiders report that sets are being designed, built and then torn down because scripts are constantly changing. In May, CBS announces the episode order has been upped to fifteen. Last week, CBS announces a September 24 launch.

Oh, and this is also the TV show that will air its first episode on CBS, then release episodes weekly on the $10/month CBS All Access streaming service. After the first eight, there will be a two-plus month hiatus (almost assuredly to buy them more post-production time) before the last seven begin coming out in January or February.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Detective No. 27 posted:

They already recognize the importance of having and keeping the old Treks on Netflix, why the gently caress did they think their own streaming service would be a better home than Netflix? Goddamn.

The old Treks are still on Netflix and Amazon because CBS signed huge long-term contracts years ago, before everyone realized how much money there is in streaming -- just like how Fox and Viacom and other companies have been pulling stuff from Netflix and Hulu over the past year to put them on their own streaming services, I guarantee you the minute those deals are up all the Treks are going to be exclusive to All Access.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Covok posted:

It was actually made clear in an off-hand line that she lived through the experience. Something like "she was severely injured, but thank god she lived: could you image how much worse off we would be." I think a lawyer said it.

Hammond says it when he's talking to Malcolm, something like, "Oh, she's fine, she's fine, much better now."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Veshpo posted:

They don't have to because all of these side movies are playing around in the prequel-OT era anyway. They're not going to say, "Oh Luke actually put him in carbonite and just burned his suit and now he's going to complete Rey's training", or "there's a Darth Vader clone, but he also fell into lava at some point and has to wear the same suit". That would be stupid, too stupid even for Star Wars.

I'm surprised they haven't already announced another "Star Wars Story" movie that goes into the Empire smashing the poo poo out of Yavin after the Death Star is destroyed, and then two hours of the rebels running away from Imperial forces and finally winding up on Hoth.

Because, you know, everything needs to be explained.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

jivjov posted:

I don't think there's a whole lot of overlap in crew between the ST and the anthology films.

Just ILM. But that's kind of a big one.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Tender Bender posted:

So the sources say that the fired directors were making a mess of the movie, but the guy playing Han is really great, super great, his portrayal is awesome and anything not-great about it is the fault of the fired directors, and he is super dedicated to the idea of Han Solo, everyone says so.

Checks out.

Yeah, I was going to say, that StarWarsNews thing seems very heavily slanted in favor of Lucasfilm, and considering they're a site that is only too happy to carry Disney / Lucasfilm's water for them, I'm not exactly sure I'd take that piece as the gospel truth.

Lord and Miller aren't exactly known as intransigent assholes.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I'm not sure Trump had even announced his candidacy yet when they finished filming.

Force Awakens wrapped in November 2014 with some minor reshoots (mostly just pickups and insert shots) done in June and July 2015; Trump announced in June 2015.

So, yeah, the movie was effectively done (outside of editing, I think Abrams said he was re-cutting the movie well into November) by the time he hit the trail.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Neo Rasa posted:

The best prequels soundtrack thing is still everyone that looked at/bought Phantom Menace soundtrack getting the ending spoiled a month before the movie came out because it has a track titled "Death of Qui-Gonn."

Qui-Gon's Noble End. 15-year-old me was so pissed.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

thrawn527 posted:

And I don't think they went with the safe choice for 8. Biggest movie he's made is Looper and some of the best (including one of the most controversial) episodes of Breaking Bad. He's a fun choice, and I don't think a safe one. I'm super looking forward to 8, but rather worried about 9.

Rian Johnson has always seemed like a weird choice to me. He's an excellent director but honestly, his writing is pretty stiff and he loves high-concept stuff that never really pays off or sticks the landing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Zoran posted:

Obi-Tew

The entire movie will simply be to satisfy that insane theory that he's really a clone named OB-1.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Spacebump posted:

They should solidify the links to the prequels to make it easier to sell the inevitable blu ray(or more likely digital) 12 film mega pack. A Ewan McGregor Obi-Wan movie would own. That sounds much cooler than an Obi-Wan origin story with a new actor.

They'll cast Cumberbatch and the Internet will lose its poo poo.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

In addition to Han Solo, Obi-Wan and Boba Fett, Variety says that a standalone movie about Jabba is in development, as well. :stare:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

well why not posted:

I think when they say "Jabba The Hutt" they mean "Boba Fett" basically

The Variety article specifically called them out as two separate films.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Davros1 posted:

It's being reported that Michael K Williams' character has been completely cut from the Han Solo film, due to unavailability for reshoots.

The movie was two weeks away from being done when Lord and Miller were sacked on June 20. It's August 23. Is Howard re-shooting the entire goddamn movie?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Taintrunner posted:

I like how EA shoehorned a really bad flight model into a bad Battlefield game instead of, you know, making something people actually want, like a new Tie Fighter or Rogue Squadron.

The space sim industry has essentially been comatose since Wing Commander Prophecy and Freespace 2 both bombed hard at the end of the '90s. I'd be shocked if we get anything beyond the re-releases of the LucasArts stuff on GOG (and Rogue Squadron is in its own special flavor of hell due to it running like hot poo poo without the N64 Expansion Pak, which still seems difficult to emulate).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

thrawn527 posted:

Do you miss space flight sims? Do you wish Chris Roberts, maker of Wing Commander, would make another? Are you willing to drop thousands of dollars on a beta, several times?

Allow me to introduce you to the insanity that is Star Citizen.

Oh, believe me, I know Star Citizen well, and I originally backed in 2012 before realizing the whole thing was a bad joke.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

JazzFlight posted:

I want to see a RedLetterMedia Half in the Bag takedown of this movie.
It looks sooooo bad.

If I'm recalling a review I read when it came out, it's even more ludicrous than you think: Henry, the kid, dies like a third of the way through the movie, but his brother gives his mother the notebook with the plan to murder ASAC Schrader, complete with step-by-step narration on a cassette tape that Henry recorded before he died. At the end, the mother doesn't pull the trigger on the rifle, but rather Scrader shoots himself. And then the mother writes a children's book.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The MSJ posted:

The only one so far is the Darksaber in Clone Wars and Rebels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD9i6Du1u8E

Before that, in the dark days of the EU, the Darksaber was a planet-killer owned by a Hutt; it was dubbed the Darksaber because they stripped out everything but the laser, so it resembled a lightsaber. :suicide:

(God, I read too many Star Wars books in my adolescent years.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rirse posted:

Didn't that book randomly kill off one of the Rebel leaders from Return of the Jedi by having him get captured by the Hutts and killed?

I haven't touched any of those books in at least 20 years, hell if I remember.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Milky Moor posted:

Anyway, apparently the novels explain it all but that seems to be a recurring issue with TFA.

I have to believe that's a side-effect of TFA's rushed schedule and crazy late re-shoots and ADR / re-editing. I really feel that if Kennedy and Abrams had gotten the extra six months they begged for, it would have been a tighter movie.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

sassassin posted:

I thought the random ninja stormtrooper was one of the The Raid guys but apparently not?

I thought the Raid guys were the ones who boarded the freighter to bust Han for money.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

All I can hear in my head is Jerec shouting "KYAHL KATAHN!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

thrawn527 posted:

I was really hoping the links for Exxon and General Motors would be to examples of these rides being "roundly criticized" instead of just links to the ride's Wikipedia pages. Actually asking, do you have examples of people bashing Universe of Energy or World of Motion when Epcot opened? I was born the year ROTJ came out, so I wasn't around for that, and would be curious to read about it.

Universe of Energy wasn't horrible at the beginning, but it became a really awful advertisement after Sid Bass, a Texas oil and gas magnate, essentially saved Disney from a hostile takeover by Marriott and Saul Steinberg. He and his family bought up a ridiculous amount of Disney's outstanding stock, then wound up replacing like half the board and getting Michael Eisner and Frank Wells installed to run the company.

Eisner's tenure over the company really, genuinely began to weaken when the Basses had to liquidate almost their entire portfolio.

• Locked thread