Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

vegetables posted:

But then why are they still at peace after the First Order blows up the Republic's capital?

Because the attack on Starkiller Base happens in the handful of hours/days after the destruction of the capital. Also, the New Republic doesn't have a huge standing army and what little fighting force they did have went up with the planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

qbert posted:

Weren't all the storm troopers in the original trilogy clones as well?

Nope

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Linguica posted:

Considering the entire EU was thrown out, I'm not sure if there's a real answer now, but I think it's pretty well accepted that by the time of the original trilogy they were no longer using clones, or at least not exclusively.

You can tell just from the film itself. Stormtroopers were of all different heights (not even referring to Leia's snark, when they're standing near each other, they aren't even anywhere near to a uniform height), and speak in different voices.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

nerdbot posted:

I liked that the weird forest temple bar seemed less like it was inhabited by locals and more as though the planet was pretty empty and dudes just came out from space to hang there. They were obviously invoking the Mos Eisley Cantina but it felt more like it was a roadside pitstop than a seedy crime hovel, between the emptiness of the rest of the planet and just the general atmosphere of the place.

That's the same impression I got. Han calls it a watering hole, says that "this is her stop", and through the trees you can see other ships of about the Falcon's size parked in the area. It's a place you stop on the way to somewhere else, or to pick up work, or get the news.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

turtlecrunch posted:

Why was the beginning on Jakku and not on Tatooine, when Jakku is just Tatooine with a funnier name (and no double-sun that I could see, which means it is automatically the worse planet)?

Because tatooine has been on too many movies as it is. Let some new planets pop up from time to time.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Zoran posted:

This movie is the same whether Starkiller Base has a planet-destroying superweapon or not. It's totally divorced from what the main characters are doing.

Well, presumably they wouldn't be mounting a 2-and-a-half pronged attack on it if it wasn't a planetbuster. I do wish it was a trilogy-long thing though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Mahoning posted:

Regarding R2-D2, I think I picked something up on second viewing.Someone gets killed in that vision and it appears to be that one alien looking guy with a large helmet that we saw in some of the marketing images awhile ago.

I'm pretty sure it was http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Zuvio this guy

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

hhhat posted:

So what I'm saying is all we can do is go watch Force Awakens in theaters a bunch more

:thumbsup:

My third trip is at 1:35 today!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Spiritus Nox posted:

...While I'm thinking about it, on the subject of force users changing the tide of the war - has anyone important ever clarified whether Luke using the force at the end of ANH was what made the torpedoes turn 90 degrees into the exhaust shaft like they did, or was that just what they were supposed to do and Luke just lined them up horizontally just right?

I have to imagine they were designed to do that, otherwise what would be the point of anyone not force-sensitive making the trench run?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

General Battuta posted:

The briefing says that a hit on the thermal exhaust port will cause a chain reaction, whatever that means.

Exactly. Nowhere in the briefing is it said that "oh, you have to use telekinesis to do it"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Avalerion posted:

Also what's the deal with Finn, is he a clone or do storm troopers work differently now? He doesn't look like Jango obviously and there was that line about going back to using clones, but then he only got a number for a name and being a soldier's all he's ever been etc.

Stormtroopers in the OT weren't clones.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Avalerion posted:

Oh, what then? Like how come he didn't even have a name?

This is addressed in the film: First Order stormtroopers are recruited as infants or children, and raised with ID numbers instead of names

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

hhhat posted:

Yeah, let's talk about this because it knocked around in my head this AM

:siren: EXTRA SPOILERS WARNING!! :siren: In that something was originally there, but not in the cut we saw. And how it might shine some light on Episode 8. So you can decide if you want someone connecting these dots for you or not. But it is a bit of speculation on my part I'm ok with talking about, because I'm betting I'm not the first who's thought of it, or the last before 2017.

This was cut, but remember, the trailer. Luke's monologue about the force running in his family. 'and you have that power too!' - in TFA he only ever has a scene with one person. So was that his line, and then they decided to cut it? Because that would be a bit on the nose for 'hay you're Luke Jr.' Or was it recorded specifically for the trailer, to throw us off the scent, but even if it was, in a galaxy far far away it still seems as though melanin is inherited, which means of the main characters in the movie who seem to be powerful with the force, there's really only one person that could have been for. And there's so many actual hints in the movie that I'm willing just to go with they expect us to figure this out, but want to just tease us for a couple years before they go 'yeah of course she's a skywalker duuuuuh

So whatcha think

I just assumed that the teaser with Luke's monologue was just for the teasers. Even when I was watching it, I didn't think it was going to be in the film itself because it was just a repeat of dialog straight from Jedi (even though he re-recorded it

ImpAtom posted:

It's actually not taken directly from that, it's a new take and slightly different from the original. It was probably just recorded for the trailer though

Hamill did a rerecord and it was layered in with the original dialog.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

hhhat posted:

Right so is that just to throw us off? More of the 'Mark Hammill really in this film guys really' thing? Because that's an odd way to introduce the teaser if it really isn't meant to talk about Rey or someone else in the movie, when you think about it. I guess I wouldn't put it past them, since they gave him top billing just to mystify everyone.

Pretty much. "Hey, remember that cool stuff from Return of the Jedi? Come see the next one!"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

hhhat posted:

ok BUT

speech in ROTJ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzFHwoALeYg thanks dude above me
"The force is strong in my family. My father has it. I have it... my sister has it."

speech in TFA trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngElkyQ6Rhs
"The force is strong in my family. My father has it. I have it. My sister has it. You have that power too."

Who's the 'you' here is the point. It could be just a 'hay come watch movie' or it could be to throw everyone off or it could be a real line because he's addressing an important character that would in this context have to be a member of his family and by his tone it ain't someone who knows they have the force so that's not Ben Solo there. That's all I'm getting at. And I don't think it's meant to be non-obvious so I'm marking 'hay come watch movie' off the list of options.

The line "You have that power too" is in that same scene from Jedi, they just rearranged it for the teaser.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

hhhat posted:

yyyyeah ok point still stands that it's either there to throw us wildly off on purpose or to suggest something exactly on the nose either way. The order is important... I should stop though, I'm repeating myself.

Its to drive speculation. Who does the line refer to? What does it mean? Turns out Rey has that power too., but it doesn't play out exactly as a lot of people would suspect.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I can only guess that in the middle movie the First Order gains the upper hand and kicks everyone's rear end, just like the Empire did in TESB. Kylo will probably level up and become a more effective villain in order to make all that happen.

Yeah, right at the end of this one, Snoke says he wants to finish training Kylo. He's going to get some manner of more control over his rage powers or something

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

hiddenriverninja posted:

Snoke looks like the same species as the Inquisitor from Rebels with the retarded lightsaber.

1) Please don't use an abelist slur to describe a lightsaber (or anything, really)
2) Snoke looks like a Pau'an? I'm not seeing it at all. He's bald with a narrowish face, but there's no sharp teeth or vertical line/corduroy skin furrows.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Again, ableist slurs are really not necessary.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Obama 2012 posted:

Oh, and some of the expository dialog was kind of terrible. When Snoke tells Ren 'the map to Skywalker is onboard the Millennium Falcon, in the possession of your father, Han Solo' I half expected him to turn to the audience and add, 'Because he's his SON, see. Did everybody get that!?

Wanted to come back to this one for a second. That line would have been so much better if it had been restructured as "in the possession of Han Solo.....your father". Communicates the same thing, doesn't sound nearly as awkward.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Vader's redemption has felt a hair...off to me since episode III came out. This guy murdered a roomful of children, and attacked his pregnant wife, and then there's the OT and the implied stuff from "he helped hunt down and destroy the Jedi".

It's just kind of a "thing" in Star Wars that you can redeem yourself and come back to being a good guy...but the fact that Vader's still pays for his crimes with his life is the only thing that keeps it believable for me.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Obama 2012 posted:

I was thinking "...on the Millenium Falcon, in the possession of your father" would have been sufficient. I mean, we KNOW who's on the Falcon already, who else could it be? The black guy who's Kylo's same age? The robot? Chewbacca!? This isn't that hard people!

I'd agree, but it harkens back to Vader and the Emperor's conversation in Empire. There's a whole lot of "the son of Anakin skywalker" being said directly to Anakin Skywalker.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ImpAtom posted:

So in your mind the only choice is for someone to remain evil forever or die. That is incredibly lovely.

It's also lovely that it took you until Episode III in that case when he helps murder literally a planet in the movie he debuts in.

I'm not saying that the choice is "remain evil or die", I'm saying that there are consequences for evil, and Vader's crimes were extensive. He did a good thing, killing Sheev and saving Luke. But that doesn't fix 99% of the other things he did.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ImpAtom posted:

You said it's only believable because he died paying for his crimes.

Han Solo is an illegal drug smuggler who is implied to pretty terrible things. In the new film he casually talks about how he got an entire crew killed capturing deadly animals to sell while simultaneously scamming two criminal organizations out of money. I guess we should be glad he died because he's a callous greedy killer..

Yeah but the people Han killed were at least combatants of one kind or another. A room full of toddlers and other younglings are not.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MisterBibs posted:

The only way to be an idiot is to think Kylo Ren is threatening at any point in this movie.

Kylo Ben is INCREDIBLY threatening and scary in VII. He's unpredictable. He cut down Sydow mid-conversation, has force powers virtually unheard of thus far, he goes on berserk temper tantrums with a weapon that could pierce the outer hull of a ship, and kills his own father.

With Vader, you were safe unless you screwed up. He doesn't kill the messenger. The man who reported the shield going up on Hoth was fine. Vader got on the comm and killed Ozzel. With Kylo, who knows what the hell he's gonna do to you.

He's got some issues. Parental issues, possible mental issues. and he's taking instruction from Snoke, and who knows what his deal is.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ImpAtom posted:

The fact that you consider that more meaningful than literally murdering a planet is kind of hosed up.

Vader didn't push the switch or even give the order. That one is primarily on Tarkin. I mean; yeah, he is affiliated with the organization that blasted Alderaan, but for Vader personally that's not as relevant.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

OldSenileGuy posted:

No one really seems to know who Max von Sydow's character is, so what are the odds on him being a character we also see in Rogue One?

You at least get his name in the novelization. It's Lor San Tekka.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Democratic Pirate posted:

The Rogue One movie is going to be so good if the dogfighting scenes are on par with how well they were handled in this movie.

Agreed. The "Poe kills 10 TIEs" bit was amazing, and the cockpit POV shot during the Starkiller Base assault was beautiful.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MisterBibs posted:

These are not things that make someone threatening. These are things that directly take away from being threatening. These are things that generate pity and laughter.

edit: vvv that would imply that, at any point, Kylo feels like a threat to Our Heroes. Which is laughable.

What the gently caress do you even mean? It's laughable that a guy is swinging around a beam of plasma that cuts through matter so casually? That he murders people? And tortures them? Are you a literal sociopath? That's incredibly threatening behavior. If you delivered news to your boss and he started slashing up the walls with a meat cleaver, you should feel very threatened at that moment

Edit: I mean, yeah, some pity would be understandable, since that person is obviously unhinged. But it is ALSO threatening.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MisterBibs posted:

Yes. Very. The Star Wars version of one of the various angry-kid-breaks-keyboard videos found on Youtube.

The only person(s) he kills are unarmed old men, while being backed up by armed guards.

Vader lifted a dude a foot off the ground, crushed a dude's throat, and flung him away like he was garbage. That's a good way of saying "This dude does not gently caress around". Having a lightsaber hissy fit, complete with nonplussed subordinates making it clear he does this a lot is not.

[quote="jivjov" post="454052106"]
If you delivered news to your boss and he started slashing up the walls with a meat cleaver, you should feel very threatened at that moment

Actually, I'd prolly laugh because my boss has ways of threatening me that aren't hissy fits. Hissy fits undermine authority and threat.

Waving around a deadly weapon is not a hissy fit.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MisterBibs posted:

^ Not sure if I said it in this or the other thread, but yes, I was laughing at the dude from his "ok, now its safe for me to come down after my troops have pacified the area" intro. Sure, Vader did the same thing, but Vader immediately showed his capability.

It is when he's using it to take out his anger out on a computer bank.

Were you equally as intimidated as Bad Cop kicking around chairs in the Lego Movie? I mean, obviously Kylo was, but you?

Do you not know what words mean? I mean; would Kylo Ben have to be pointing right at someone and saying "I will now cut you to pieces" for it to be a threat in your mind? Yes, Kylo is dangerous, unhinged, and pitiful, but he also presents an extreme threat to people around him. He literally kills two different speaking-role people on screen. That is explicit a threat.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MisterBibs posted:

No, he'd have to do something legitimately threatening, and not do anything that makes him laughable. It's really quite simple. Lots of the latter, none of the former. End result? The movie's Bad Guy being equal parts Dr Claw and Genghis Rex from the 1987 cartoon Dinosaucers. Its legitimately the only downside to a movie that's otherwise quite enjoyable.

He does plenty of "legitimately threatening" things in Episode VII. I'm starting to suspect you haven't actually seen the movie.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

hiddenriverninja posted:

Does anyone have the complete list of names for the Black Squadron pilots?

Poe Dameon. That's it. He's Black One; everybody else is Red or Blue

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

MisterBibs posted:

I could say the same thing about you, because I simply cannot fathom how anyone found him threatening at all. I guess it boils down to higher/lower tolerances for silliness; I'll leave it at that if you will.

Nothing Kylo does is in any way "silly".

Edit: unless you decide to completely ignore any semblance of context.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I can't think of ever seeing his hands that closely in the OT...did he always have fingers like that?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

They wouldn't get a major actress from Game of Thrones unless they planned on using her for more than 2 minutes.

Phasma is confirmed for Episode VIII. My personal guess is that she'll be excommunicated from the First Order, potentially on Kylo Ben's hit list, and out for revenge on Finn.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

They got major actor Daniel Craig and used him in a cameo that lasted a minute or less.

That was a Craig's request though, if I understand it correctly. They didn't seek him out for casting.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Stop being a idiot retard

Why are slurs necessary to you?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Zodack posted:

Stop dude, some of your posts are good and you have okay opinions about TFA but you need to realize you are on the internet

That doesn't make it okay.

Well Manicured Man posted:

I mean, it might be, but punching your wounds out of frustration/spite seems like a pretty Kylo thing to do.

Yeah; that struck me as Psyching himself up and being crazy; not a force power directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Oh, I thought he was punching like, a bloody wound though, not a muscle cramp. I had difficulty keeping track of some wounds in 3D. Oh well. It's so Kylo.

Yeah; he was hitting the spot Chewie shot him.

• Locked thread