Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Might as well squeeze any prequel talk in now because once the new movie comes out I'm sure it'll give us plenty to argue about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Race Realists posted:

is.. is this some sort of bait?:wtc:

Did you spend any time at all in the previous thread?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jewel Repetition posted:

Are you sure? Luke doesn't hook up or anything. What specific things the jedi do or say are made dramatically ironic by Luke later?

It's not so much that the Jedi are wrong on any specific point, its that they are overly dogmatic and also hypocritical on top of it. The fact that Anakin loves Padme isn't what leads to him falling to the Dark Side, its that he's been conditioned by the Jedi to think he's committing some sort of sin. The secrecy they force him and Padme into directly results in his vulnerability to Palpatine.

The Jedi also live every day in a way that is against their own teachings in that they've attached themselves to the Republic to the point that they have to do certain things simply because its their official role.

As for Luke, to succeed he has to learn how to allow emotional attachment into his life without letting it control him and lead him down the wrong path. He almost fails, but turns away from the Dark Side at the very last moment. The reason he is able to do this is because he trusts that his friends will succeed and loves his father.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 14, 2015

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Steve2911 posted:

if they Jedi were cool with them being married, he'd still have the vision of her dying. The Jedi would say 'well that's poo poo but we can't help sorry' and Palpatine would still lie and say he can save her. Same thing happens.

Had he been able to talk his problems out with Obi Wan or Yoda there's a very high chance they would have sniffed out what Palpatine was doing and things would have gone much differently. He doesn't because he doesn't trust them and assumes they won't even listen to what he as to say with an open mind.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jewel Repetition posted:

You can look at the plot and say that, but I don't think the conclusion really fits with the storytelling. Maybe it's because it's been so long since I saw it but I have a really strong memory of the move impressing upon you that Anakin's downfall is more or less caused by wanting to gently caress Padme.

By the time he becomes Darth Vader he's already hosed Padme plenty of times and married her. Its the consequences of that relationship that lead to his final downfall, and those consequences wouldn't exist if the Jedi weren't so focused on dogma and playing politics.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jack's Flow posted:

Even if it has been posted before, the weight-loss photos make me very happy for Mark Hamill. Dude is feeling good about life again. Or at least better.

Just because he was overweight for a while doesn't mean he wasn't enjoying life and having a nice career. He just didn't have any reason to look his best because all his work was voice acting. Then all the sudden a compelling reason comes along to drop the weight and what do you know, he looks good again. Its just the way things work in Hollywood, most normal 60 year olds look a lot closer to 2010 Hamill than the current version.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jose Oquendo posted:

Have you seen Penn Gillette lately?

I meant that most normal 60 years olds that aren't in show business look a lot closer to fat Hamill and fat Penn Gillette. Sorry I realize now that my sentence did not make that clear.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

He's the Wedge Antilles of this movie. Directors don't like it when background characters start hamming it up and taking focus off the protagonists.

It sounds like the opposite actually. Isaac wanted to sit there in between takes and think about his character's motivations and inner thoughts, etc. Abrams just wanted him to say the lines already.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
So if the idea is that Disney cares less about making billions of dollars than they do about promoting white genocide, what happens when the movie still makes billions of dollars anyway? Does that mean its over for white people?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

JazzFlight posted:

It's kinda annoying seeing how many goons in this thread are dismissing any positive review as "the movie is mediocre, people are deluding themselves." I mean, I have tempered expectations as well, but there comes a point where you can be too jaded.

Its just hard to forget how everyone reacted to Episode 1 with this same kind of guarded positivity that gradually gave way to the reality that most people did not enjoy the movie. I'm seeing a lot of "Hey, it was pretty drat good!" comments and its easy to read those in that same tone as all the people coming out of the theatre after Episode 1.

Its partially a J.J. Abrams thing too, his movies seem to invoke that reaction in people. Mission Impossible 3, Star Trek, Cloverfield, Super 8, they all are "pretty good" to "very good" depending on who you ask. People don't tend to have strong reactions to an Abrams movie.

I mean I'd be getting hyped if I was seeing stuff on the level of a Fury Road, where people are just making GBS threads themselves and not even able to type properly because they're so excited about what they just saw. But I was not expecting that, and that isn't what's happening.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

It seems a film that's kind of been a bit forgotten about, but I don't recall many people having issues with it at least?

That's as good as a J.J. Abrams movie gets though. That's his ceiling as a director and he's never going to take the risk of going beyond that. A J.J. Abrams movie will always be entertaining yet ultimately forgettable.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Its not the stories from the EU that people care about, its that there was a handful of characters created for the EU that ended up being pretty beloved by some fans. Corran Horn, Thrawn, Mara Jade, the Solo twins, and probably some others I'm forgetting. Not many people even remember what happened in the Zahn trilogy but they still love Thrawn for some reason.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

jivjov posted:

That's a...broad claim.

The people that are really into the EU aren't a very diverse group.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'll never understand why people liked Corran Horn, he was just another Stackpole Mary Sure character. I had enough of those in Battletech.

I enjoyed the X-Wing series as a kid because it felt more serious than the actual movies. Stackpole would let you get to know the whole squadron and then kill one or two of them off in each mission, which was something I wasn't used to in the books I was reading up to that point(I was probably about 9 or 10 years old).

But yea I didn't like Corran Horn that much because even at that young age it annoyed me that he was so obviously the main character that there was no chance anything would ever happen to him. My first experience with plot armor I guess.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Toops posted:

I can't decide what I want more:
  a. An incredible, timeless Star Wars film
  b. Schadenfreudgasm watching billions of nerds drown in rage-tears

Help me SA. You're my only hope.

e: I want the shadenfreude

The schadenfreude is tempting but I'm imagining how awesome it would be for a new Star Wars movie to surprise everyone and be a major critical success ala Fury Road.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The key thing is, unlike in the real world where you can assume most people will agree with you, here you need to assume someone may want to debate with you about the prequels. So you can't just say "the plot sucked, the acting sucked and the whole thing was bad execution" without someone asking just what you mean by that.

Plenty of people have made very specific posts about what they find wrong with the prequels and those are always appreciated. Sometimes I think the initial disagreement is construed as some sort of insult when really its an invitation to what could be an interesting discussion. Certain posters have a tone that can be condescending though, which doesn't help matters.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jose Oquendo posted:

MOFF CON 2015.

Christ I'd hate to see the cosplay.

"Man your Tarkin widow's peak is PERFECT!"

Any scenario where someone is doing Peter Cushing cosplay would be alright with me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I want to thank this thread because last night I watched Episode 1 and in the first Naboo scene I found myself thinking, "oh yea, that's Sio Bibble". A new low point in my life I'd say.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

People clapping at films predates social media by decades though?

Yea really has nothing to do with social media at all, people just like to clap at things. Always have.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

hiddenriverninja posted:

One of my favorite lines from Finn is "You got a boyfriend? A cute boyfriend?" Stormtrooper programming can't defeat a dude's boner :lol:

Finn is by far the best thing about the movie and his reactions and facial expressions make every scene he's in a lot better.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Its no surprise that people didn't really latch onto the Flash Gordon style visuals of the prequels the way they did with the more grungy, lived in feel of the OT. Its a style that hadn't been popular for a long time, and even though the prequels take place in a different era of Star Wars, people went in expecting the same aesthetic as they were used to from the OT.

If the prequels were made today, they'd look better and more cohesive but they'd still be criticized for the stylistic choice of making everything rounded and shiny, because to a lot of people that just isn't Star Wars. None of this has anything to do with the actual craft of the work that was done on the prequels though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You actually believe Christopher Lee struggled with this line: "Oh no! My friend, this is a mistake. A terrible mistake! They have gone too far! This is madness!"

The character is unemotional because he is being sarcastic. He doesn't actually care about Obiwan.

Absolutely, as he's leaving the room he says something like "I may have trouble securing your release..."

He's loving with Obi Wan.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

McSpanky posted:

Yeah I get what the objective of the line is, but there is in fact a difference between sarcastic droll delivery and "had the life directed out of him".

Is there? What is the difference exactly? What makes you think he had the "life directed out of him" other than we're talking about Lucifer himself, George Lucas.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

McSpanky posted:

I don't know what you want to hear man, he sounded bored as hell and I don't think I've even seen that scene before so I didn't have any preconceived notions.

So what would your opinion be of a scene where a character is supposed to look/sound bored?

Its just a weird scene to cho0se to criticize because AotC has many other scenes where you could point at the line delivery and ask what the hell was going on there. The Obi Wan/Dooku scene is one of the best in the whole movie.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 30, 2015

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Krowley posted:

They're just little kids, who cares what they think?

Star Wars is for kids.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

Ok TFA chat

There was a memorable shot during the ... final duel... which is in a forest at night with snow falling. This instantly reminded me of the end of Kill Bill in O-Ren Ishii's garden.

Is this and the QT shot referring to something from older movies?

Yea Lady Snowblood. Its on Hulu right now.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

I always wondered what happened to Obi WANs light saber .

Probably blown up in the first laser moon.

Vader probably took it but I guess its pretty likely it was destroyed. I'd think the main two options would be for Vader to have it on one of the Death Stars, or on his Star Destroyer. So in either scenario it ends up as space debris.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

hemale in pain posted:

I dunno about Snoke being something to do with Vader so closely. How would he even know what Vader looks like? I think the scars being similar is just a false clue to throw people off. I don't think the guy is going to be Darth Plagueis either, that's way too much expanded universe and not really close to the original series mimickery their going for.

Plagueis is mentioned in the prequels at least once, possibly a few times. So if they aren't completely disowning the prequels, its a possibility. The whole thing between Plagueis and Palpatine is told in much more detail in the EU, but its not like Plagueis doesn't exist at all in the films.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I doubt they would have given Serkis the full story even if they have plans for Snoke to be Plagueis or a Vader clone later on. Its not like it would change his performance any in Force Awakens, at least not in any way I can think of.

I'm sure they would have anticipated this kind of questioning and why set up Serkis to have to lie to the press for years? Its plausible deniability.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I suppose I'm guilty of not giving Serkis full credit for being a legit actor, which at this point is probably just ignorant.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It would probably be explained that the entire saga of Episodes 1-VI was planned in advance by Plagueis, and the first step of the plan was to allow Sheev to believe he had murdered him. With the training and ideas that were planted in his head by Plagueis, Sheev would then go on to enact Plagueis' plans without even realizing they weren't his own.

Sounds pretty Star Wars to me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Luke doesn't appear to believe he can help. We already know he rejected violence in RotJ and then one of his pupils turned and slaughtered everyone in his new Jedi training group, which he evidently feels responsible for and perhaps with good reason. His 'retirement' seems to be more of a self-imposed exile

Yea I expect he considers himself a failure because of what happened with Ren, and that his involvement in any kind of conflict would only make things worse.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Noam Chomsky posted:

Eh, not really. I don't have any elaborate, intricate analysis or opinions on the films. I just view them as fun, somewhat flawed movies with ray gun and laser sword wielding heroes fighting against a dark lord and his evil empire.

If you view anything beyond that as just wanna-be film criticism, you must have an issue with self-confidence or something. I'd bet if you allowed yourself to elaborate more on your opinions you'd find you actually have interesting worthwhile thoughts about the films, and film in general.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Noam Chomsky posted:

Your assumption that I must have no self-confidence or opinions about films, because I view Star Wars as a really fun series about laserswords and space wizards and that's it, says everything that needs to be said about wanna-be film critics posting on a comedy forum. I don't think it's bad that people are discussing the details of Star Wars but I do believe that if you continually search for meaning in something, you'll find it even if it isn't there.

Perhaps I just enjoy Star Wars for all the surface level stuff and that analyzing every single thing in this type of media doesn't provide more enjoyment for me? No, it must be that I lack confidence and opinions. :)

I'm only responding to your own words. Your claim is that to analyze and elaborate on Star Wars beyond the surface elements amounts to "wanna-be film criticism". Why would you assume it wouldn't be totally legitimate and worthwhile criticism? Your doubts about your own ability to criticize a film are being projected onto others.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Noam Chomsky posted:

I didn't make that claim. What I did say that the deeper meaning to the prequels being discussed here only exists in the minds of wanna-be film critics posting on a comedy forum. I did not say any analysis of Star Wars is wanna-be film criticism. The devil is in the details, you see.

Really? Because this:

Noam Chomsky posted:

Eh, not really. I don't have any elaborate, intricate analysis or opinions on the films. I just view them as fun, somewhat flawed movies with ray gun and laser sword wielding heroes fighting against a dark lord and his evil empire.

sure reads like you're saying that engaging in "elaborate, intricate" analysis of Star Wars amounts to being a wanna-be film critic. You were responding to someone who called you a wanna-be film critic after all.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Noam Chomsky posted:

I don't disagree with any of that. I guess I was originally trying to point out that the interpretations of SMG and others should not be taken as the canonical meaning behind the films simply because they provide very detailed claims and analysis, doubly so if it impedes your enjoyment of the films; all it is is their interpretation, nothing more.

So what's the canonical meaning behind the films then? Please no interpretations, just lay out the true meaning of the films for me, thanks.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

If your friend said magic is totally real and he saw an imp with a laser sword, would you believe him or think he's loving with you?

I've had friends and family that I otherwise respect tell me 100% sincerely that they've seen or somehow had contact with a dead loved one, i.e. ghosts are real. They're always mildly offended that I don't just take their word for it because we're friends, but yea they've never been able to make me seriously reconsider my position on that stuff.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dubplate Fire posted:

Just admit that the movies are trash but you like them. I would have more respect for you if you did that, you don't have to justify every single bad decision made by the lord and savior george lucas.

Every one of the Star Wars movies are "trash" to varying degrees, but I like them all anyway.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Han also says a million times that he's loving off once he gets his money, but he never does. Its almost like he just says things to make himself feel better...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Noam Chomsky posted:

Yes, of course it's my opinion. "In your opinion" and "Well, that's your opinion" are not magic words that can be used to dispel any argument.

I don't really care either way.

I guess I just believe film should be enjoyable and entertaining on their own and not need analysis to make them so. Analysis should add to an already entertaining and engaging film and not be required to make it so.

As I said, I enjoy the PT, probably about 75% of the total runtime but even the parts I enjoy would've been better with better casting, better writing, and better acting. However, I don't believe any analysis can make them better films. Also, to be fair, the OT has a lot of problems as well, but their sins are more forgivable given the time in which they were produced and our nostalgia papers over their flaws.

This seems like a contradictory statement to me.

You say that, overall, you enjoy the PT. You also say that "analysis" should "add to an already entertaining and engaging film". So what is the problem with analyzing the PT? These are films you enjoy after all, why not see if you can add to the enjoyment by delving a little bit deeper?

It seems like the answer is that you just happen to not like the style of certain posters in this thread, and their particular form of analysis.

• Locked thread