Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Grievous and Dooku are the heroes on the Separatist side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

piratepilates posted:

There can, but they're framed as the opposition/enemy in the movies, and I can't remember any character that was really a 'hero'. Dooku and Grievous are both villains (they even both get in to big climactic fights with the heroes of the movie). I guess you can say they are war heroes as in they are major players in the war but in the movie's terms (and Star Wars, at least in the OT, is so drat plain good vs evil) they are not heroes.

Grievous and Dooku are heroes to their peoples, the lizard-desert-sword guys and the dracula-planet aristocrats, respectively.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The Separatists' biggest baddest battleship is called The Invisible Hand. Their major constituent organizations are called The Trade Federation, The Intergalactic Banking Clan and The Techno Union. The proper title of their formed government is seriously "the Confederacy." They are also led by Dracula. Their politics aren't subtle.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Also, Dracula is fighting for the Space Confederacy.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Cnut the Great posted:

The Separatists represent the Republic's self-centered, individualist id. Contrasted against them are the Loyalists, which represent the Republic's more conscientious, community-oriented superego. That's the whole thrust of Sidious's plot: Split the Republic into two factions--one Apollonian, one Dionysian--and then trick them into trying to destroy each other, instead of coexisting in equal balance with each other as they have for a millennium. This rift will result in the weakening of the Republic's two mediating ego mechanisms, the Jedi Order and the Senate. Sidious will then take advantage of the resulting weakness in order to destroy both institutions. He will then replace these institutions.....with himself.

It's all just a recapitulation of the conflict between the Naboo and the Gungans in Episode I: The surface-dwelling Naboo are the superego, the abyss-dwelling Gungans are the id. At the beginning of Episode I, there's a long-standing rift between the two societies. Naboo is out of balance with itself. Its ego is weak; in other words, it is weak-minded. Sidious takes advantage of this situation, which is nothing less than the fractured psyche of a world, in order to impose his own will on the planet. "The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded."

By the end of the film, the Naboo and the Gungans have learned to live together for mutual advantage, restored the balance, and taken back their planet from the Sith. The Phantom Menace is a blueprint for how things should go. It's the thesis statement for the entire saga. That's why it's so important not to skip it. It's an essential part of the story.

The interesting thing about the Separatists is they're a bunch of droids and aliens who are united by one of the Republic bluebloods. Like Padme, Sheev and Jimmy Smitts, Dooku is part of the ruling elite who benefit from an economic system essentially set up to enrich the core (Coruscant) and drain the periphery (Tattooine, Geonosis). Yet somehow this guy is the leader of what amounts to a revolt by that periphery because I guess he gives the meetings a touch of class ha ha.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I don't know if you noticed this, but Greivous coughs because he is a pair of damaged lungs loosely attached to a metal frame.

The Separatists are the underdogs and their technology sucks.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

ungulateman posted:

Arguing that a universe should have consistent rules and then produce a story based on those rules is some Dungeons and Dragons poo poo, and not even the good kind of D&D where the DM will let you do cool and fun things because they're cool and fun.

That's not the right way to play D&D at all! It should be a true test of mental acuity and fortitude! :argh:

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

CelticPredator posted:

Hey, the one EU story I know!

Grevious' ship crashed somehow which left him in a pretty awful, hosed up state. Palps decided to use this opportunity to test out his new cyborg suit thing for his soon be named Emperor Palaptine Surgical Reconstruction Center. He lied to Grevious, blaming it on the Jedi as Palpy does, and that's what sent Grevious into a murderous rage, hellbent on killing all Jedi.

He's living a lie.

It's even more fun than that. Basically Grievous is from a terrible tiny planet in the rear end-end of nowhere that got invaded by some assholes and had been fighting a decades-long war. This was where he made his bones as a badass warlord dude, a hero to his hosed up afro-lizardman society. As it happened, Grievous started winning too hard and was on the verge of finally beating his race's archenemies when the Republic intervened and forced them into a peace settlement. Grievous' people did not want to try the fruits of peace so the Republic blockaded their planet and a bunch of people starved, and to survive Grievous became a mercenary for the Banking Clan (these are the fat green guys with the weird poo poo in their faces at the Separatist meetings). Once again he was basically too good because that was when they decided to gently caress him up and blame the Republic so he'd become a lightsaber wielding cyborg badass general for the war the Separatists were about to spark off.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That's in a little EU side-story. In the films themselves, Greivous is a much more fun character.

He's a dude who got really badly hosed up - presumably by the Jedi, during the clone war - and was stuck in that metal exoskeleton. Naturally, his goal is revenge.

But the fun part with the character is that, because he's this crazy-powerful cyborg, the Seperatists put him in charge of the Droid Army - and Greivous hates it. He totally resents the position, and the droid soldiers who serve him. This is why he styles himself after a Jedi, and engages Obiwan in an 'honorable' 1-on-1 battle to the death.

The joke of the whole sequence is that Grievous' Jedi-mimicry hamstrings him, while Obiwan cheats. First, the clone soldiers interrupt the fight - and then Obiwan pulls out a gun. If Greivous had embraced his droid-like qualities, instead of making some kind of personal statement, he would have won.

I also think it's an intentional choice, by Lucas, to make the two "heroes" on the Separatist side somewhat visibly pathetic----Dooku is insaneo old, maybe the oldest dude in Star Wars, and while he's got an impressive voice and look there's a subtext they want you to understand from his age and title that he's on The Wrong Side of History, that what he's fighting for is basically a doomed cause, which makes him a perfect patsy for Palpatine. Grievous is essentially a Pontiac Aztek to Darth Vader's comfortable high-performance LaCrosse, a beta version of the same Robocop-style cyborgization carried out on some hapless alien ethnic, and his life support system is really lovely or whatever. He bravely fights on and he managed to take out a few Jedi but he has to keep running until he finally gets cornered and put down like a dog.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Well, Darth's itchy underwear isn't G canon but the wicked cough and the clinking noises Grievous's body makes are so I think I know what G Luc was going for :colbert:

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Who the hell is Maz

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Why would there be a bar in the middle of nowhere, I mean Mos Eisley is a spaceport, a bar makes sense but

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
What is she covered in pop bottle caps throughout the decades or.....?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Hold on, does this she have a beard in the finished movie

Cuz one of those character designs definitely is sporting a beard

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
J.J missin out on a chance to be truly bold with that bearded lady design

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Actually, let's talk a bit about why I won't see Force Awakens

This is why I won't see Force Awakens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pd6yO-jBRo

It's just one theater, right? Well my one ticket for that one theater should mean a lot less. gently caress Disney for this seriously.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
To me it's all about how bland and homogeneous the Republic forces are----all the Jedi are wearing the same loving outfit blech------vs the neverending variety of bosses who appear on the Separatist side, from Durge to that stupid blue guy with the six shooters in Clone Wars. The Separatists absolutely have all the appeal and the doomed glamour of a lost cause fighting against overwhelming odds

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Just gently caress the new movie though, gently caress that

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I don't buy it.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Obi-Wan in the prequels is still cooler and smarter than basically all of us

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Thanks, but not happy people are missing my most important post[

Harime Nui posted:

Actually, let's talk a bit about why I won't see Force Awakens

This is why I won't see Force Awakens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pd6yO-jBRo

It's just one theater, right? Well my one ticket for that one theater should mean a lot less. gently caress Disney for this seriously.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Phylodox posted:

I didn't miss it. Unfortunately, I'd already seen and really enjoyed The Force Awakens. Twice. But rest assured, when I buy the Blu-Ray I'll know to feel really bad for Quentin Tarantino, so there's that, at least.

It hurts me because all my friends love this stupid space movie and I'm not good at explaining to them that I hate the company that made the movie----not the director, not the actors, or the prop guys or the FX guys. I'm sure they did a great job and that it's a fun movie, but on moral grounds I have to not watch it until the loving company's not gonna see more than five cents so like 2040.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm at work and can't watch videos, what is it?

Basically, Quentin Tarantino thought he had a deal with the Cinerama Dome theater in L.A that they would screen Star Wars for the first half of the holidays, and his movie would get the weeks after that. However, essentially Disney is so rich and powerful that they didn't have to honor that contract, and they said to the theater "hey, it'd really gently caress you if we pulled Star Wars, better just let us run through the whole holiday season" and the Cinerama Dome company was like "well, poo poo" and so Tarantino's film The Hateful Eight didn't get screened in this theater after its premiere night on December 5th; and you gotta understand Quentin's an L.A boy so to him this Cinerama Dome, which has 70mm film projectors already, is like, his theater, he thinks of it as the big premiere theater, and its run is denied him in his own hometown so Disney can make a few more bucks---I mean this is a fairly arty venue so it is just a fistfull of bucks that's at stake here. It's pathetic, and mean on Disney's part.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Phylodox posted:

Well, good luck not seeing any movies that involve stupid, petty Hollywood fuckery.

Or, to simplify it, movies.

"OH WELL YEAH, ALL STUDIOS DO IT SO" no gently caress that, that's nonsense and horseshit

gently caress this stupid Star Wars 7

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
They didn't have to do this but they basically ruined Quentin Tarantino's christmas. So just as the Vikings got hosed by the hand of God for ruining the christmas of Eli Manning, gently caress these guys.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Basebf555 posted:

I mean its a dick thing to do but is it really a boycottable offense? Disney's probably toppled governments before and had people assassinated and poo poo, this seems like small potatoes.

the difference is Quentin Tarantino is great, not like the government of Urzumbagabagwe or whatever the gently caress

e: kidding, of course! I don't believe Disney has ever toppled an African government and even if it did, that's merely a pastiche of sounds that perhaps evoke Africa to my uneducated Western ear, haha! Everything's in the pokey spirit of light ribbing, folks!

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Phylodox posted:

Won't someone please think of Quentin Tarantino?!?

You have literally never not gone to bat for a Marvel/Disney thing so seriously, here, in this instance, where Disney has blatantly just plain screwed someone over for money, can you find it in yourself, to not be that guy, I says in my movie announcer voice

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Not even the RLM Review says anything about the tactical blow-by-blow for the Trade Federation's conquest of Naboo, lol

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
You've got some loving nuts to even say that to a NY fan in 2015

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I am asking you don't make light of this

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Phylodox posted:

I don't even have to. It makes light of itself. Howard Stern makes light of it right there in the video you posted.

Why do you even think that's okay? the gently caress's wrong with you you don't have enough human sympathy------no, okay, maybe you don't know. The Cinerama Dome is Tarantino's theater. Like, it's his homeground, it's the place where you got to watch his movie debuts so you can talk to him about it and poo poo. Not "his" theater in the sense that it plays Tarantino movies year round but generally it is the one he likes best. But gently caress that if you can make a few dollars more, right?

Like do you even understand what's wrong here? Like, why this is wrong?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Look, if someone spat in Tarantino's face, he's still a super rich guy who probably hosed Uma Thurman. Great, but you still spat in his face and that's wrong what the gently caress.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Phylodox posted:

Oh, okay. I still don't care. Sorry.

Do you actually make a webcomic, I feel like I've heard you mention that's something you do but I might be wrong

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
This stupid rear end gently caress movie

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Basebf555 posted:

Movies are a business just as cutthroat as any other in this country. Tarantino being hosed out of a few screens in a theatre he happens to favor isn't something I'm willing to waste my time worrying about. Disney gonna Disney.

You are completely missing the point

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, it's fuckin' terrible. If Disney bought my web space or some poo poo, no one would care. What's your point?

Well, I'd like to see your webcomic.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

homullus posted:

Wait, why are you mad at Disney? Shouldn't you be mad at, like, the theater? Disney can't come in with mouse-eared goons and shove their Star War into the projection booth.

Uh, but they can order the theater to stop showing Force Awakens too early which would cost it huge-o in revenues, way more than they'd get back showing QT's movie.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

homullus posted:

Yeah, they can, but the theater still doesn't have to do it. Are you mad at the theater for caving for business reasons? If not, why are you mad at Disney for pressuring them for business reasons? I think you should be mad at both, since his theater totally stabbed him in the back for a payoff.

Theaters are kind of a dying business, bud. Disney isn't.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Also are you loving listening to yourself? "Well, the drycleaner could have not taken the laundered money, he'd have been beat up but he could have gone to the police" shut the gently caress up. Are you gonna compare the goddamn Weinstein Company, who do well for themselves but let's be real are a niche studio, to goddamn Walt Disney Entertainment? Of course you side with one over the other here, and the difference is so vast I doubt it even effects the relationship Quentin probably has with the owners of that particular theater. Here's a hot tip ethics majors, what went down is still loving wrong

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
It's really loving hilarious I keep saying "hey, Disney slapped Tarantino on his face" and you keep saying "Tarantino's rich! He's got money! He's got money!" so the gently caress what, when you pass a certain wealth threshold you stop being human?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

It's two rich media conglomerates having a fairly minor dispute over what blockbuster film plays in a single theater in LA. Again, who the gently caress cares? There's a reason no one is siding with you here.

Tarantino cared because he wanted to have the movie play at that theater. Also lol at you saying the Weinsteins have anything on Disney in terms of clout. But mainly, this guy who made a lot of things that I love is upset and angry about this and I get why, and the guy who made The New Star Trek Movies is no loving counter to that, so gently caress Disney even if they have the money to keep Star Wars playing forever.

• Locked thread