Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wank
Apr 26, 2008
TPM is the best prequel. But it is also the least 'star wars'. AOTC went poo poo because Lucas started to pander to 'fans' (the worst people).

This article in The Guardian, of all places, refers to how Star Wars fans don't like Star Wars- "true fans hate everything about Star Wars”. http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/dec/14/myth-star-wars-force-awakens-heroic-legends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
The biggest flaw of the movie is it doesn't set up the politics enough. It's a bit too not Lucas. Just the crawl isn't good enough. Also, it's basically "Ghostbusters 2"

I wasn't completely digging it but then at a point in the third act realised that all I really want out of Star Wars is Han Solo and Chewbacca trying to beat the odds while infiltrating imperial bases. So I really liked it from that.

Kylo Ren was really well done I thought. A good character and Driver did a great job. Loved seeing an incompetent Jedi.

Rey is the loving best.

Time to his the Kanja Club!

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
Wha... What about Plif and the Hoojibs. They survived this purge didn't they..? :ohdear:

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Hammerstein posted:

The really interesting thing that will only be answered in 2017 is if there's more to Rey and her past and why she's so good at Force stuff. Cause if she does not have a history of training it would make Kylo the shittiest Sith ever.

Pretty sure part of the point is that Kylo the shittiest Sith ever (he couldn't even beat off Finn - Kylo has never been properly tested like you need to to become a jedi). But also that Rey is exceptional

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Definitely seemed like an intentional thing. Felt like some of the aliens were Halloween masks too.

I wonder why Constable Zuvio got cut. Maybe too cgi?

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
Disney should be making a stand alone Poe Dameron / Black Squadron movie. Forget about young Han / Boba Fett.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Hazo posted:

Yeah I know, it's almost definitely the one from Bespin and hopefully we'll find out how it resurfaced at some point.
Of course they're supposed to be the same. They look slightly (yet noticeably) different, however, and it's never explained. I've brought this up in Star Wars threads before and nobody seems to really care so it's obviously not a big deal even to nerds.

Luke Episode IV:

Anakin Episode III:

It has been raised. https://youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=3_FieJToFKc

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

jivjov posted:

Soundtrack question and comment. I seriously just cannot stop listening to the Jedi Steps track. Its amazing. But anyway, toward the end of the non-credits portion (before it segues into The Force Theme), the track suddenly goes a bit...darker. A higher horn fanfare with a lower note under it repeated a couple time. I'm reminded of bits of the Episode III soundtrack, and I'm wondering just how ominous Luke is supposed to be here...

The soundtrack is better than I thought. I really like "The Starkiller". It kind of reminds me of the Gayenne Adagio from 2001/Aliens. Don't forget that when we see Luke that he is looking at a grave. Things are not perfect here

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
Rey's background has her having to understand how to dismantle Imperial and Rebel ships to literally be able to eat. Further, the better the thing she gets, the more food she gets. She has had a hardcore life or death apprenticeship into Imperial/Rebel mechanics. Further, the Force is best learnt in practice than by training. By having someone try to read her mind she would naturally try to fight against it. The surprise to both Rey and Kylo is that it actually works. She gains insight into the force by naturally trying to resist Kylo and the going ons show she is very powerful at the Force. I have to admit she is a bit TOO good a pilot - but, again, the series has shown that the act of piloting actually attunes you into the Force and Force users tend to be excellent pilots.

Bongo Bill posted:

People might think that she's a Mary Sue because she's a millennial who gets a job offer.

Oh poo poo. Yeah, I can't explain that.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Maz runs a temple devoted to herself, and nobody is suspicious? Whoops!

I thought this was really weird but don't quite get the connotation.

Didn't think of the feudalism angle. Good call. Lucas wants this to be a myth about democracy but he royally hosed up by adding princesses/queens (or he didn't).

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
I took my five year old son to the movie. Before the movie his favourite character was Kylo Ren. Afterwards I asked him who his favourite character is and he said "still Kylo Ren". I asked him if he did any bad things. He said: 'yes he killed his father Han Solo'. I asked him that he knows Han Solo is my favourite character right? He said 'Yes! I know that'. Then I realised this is a weird movie as a father to take your son to. Especially when Kylo is their favourite character and they have no issue with him killing his father.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Raxivace posted:

It's like David Lynch reinterpreted the Seinfeld theme.

I mean, what is the deal with these Jedi robes? Are we farmers? I gotta tell ya, during my last visit to Tatooine I wasn't farming any moisture. And the sleeves. This might be why they don't let me gamble. Jedi magic tricks in my sleeve can carry a whole sabaac deck in each.

Dum da dum

Ya ever noticed how Yoda talks? The other day he says "try the blue milk.." So I did, and it was curdled way after its expired date! Disgusting! I said "Hey Yoda why'd ya make me drink it?" And he he said "...you should not because bad it is"

Da dum dum

I saw Yarael Poof fighting a sith the other day. Yeesh. Did he pick the wrong profession!? May as well just have a big sign - cut neck here to win. Did evolution make some mistakes on his planet or what? Wanna eat from the tallest tree? Use ya arms!

Da da da dum

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
"Your Taunton will freeze before the first marker!"

Shut the gently caress up arsehole. How about presenting solutions instead of problems? Did you come from the rebel grad program? Or another ex-imperial? This loving generation. Man, I gotta go back to freelancing.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
Is there an extras feature that is the full table read? Or just that 2 min short about it that comes with the iTunes version?

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

TFA is fundamentally a synthesis of the previous two trilogies. The lessons of the prequels haunt the film: the Jedi were wrong, the Republic is bad, Vader is the true incarnation of God, etc. But nothing is produced through this synthesis.

I think TFA is trying to present Kylo Ren is what is produced from that. Or perhaps in this new trilogy we will see the forces of the prequels being represented by Kylo (I want a lightsaber and rule the Galaxy!) against Luke representing the OT (No, those Jedi were wrong. The force is about rejecting weapons and being literal monks not warrior monks).

As much as Disney seem to want to disown the prequels TFA is richer due to their existence.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

You're mixing up two different things here.

TFA may have fuckable characters, but that fuckability is not a result of the dialogue. TFA's dialogue frankly sucks. It's the second-biggest liability in the film after the editing; there's not a single good line in the film.

"That [ship]'s garbage. [But] the garbage will do." It's white noise that people tune out.

The prequels, on the contrary, have extremely well-written dialogue that's delivered by unfuckable characters.

I was thinking about this myself and you said it better here. Is John Boyega a better actor than Ewan McGregor? The answer is no but JJ gives Boyega so many great moments for you to like Finn. The way he gets up saying he is resistance. The BB-8 interaction. He gets character moments that make me on his side in a way I never was with prequel Kenobi. (Though I put that down to Jedi being boring unlikeable jerks as a deliberate decision).

Is it dialogue or is it direction or just plain casting? The only people in the 3 PT movies I connect with are are Qui-Gonn and Sheev. In TFA it is Poe, Finn, Rey... Etc. Which makes TFA easier to revisit and a more enjoyable experience.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
Does hanging clothes in a "freezing" room actually dry them?

Wank fucked around with this message at 10:26 on May 30, 2016

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

Well Variety just confirmed the films reshoots will last a month and they are being done to tonally bring the entire thing in line with The Force Awakens.

It rains after a drought and the leaders think - wow people really like rain. Let's make it rain all the time. Imagine how happy everyone will be.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Cnut the Great posted:

I predict that Rogue One will probably be an enjoyable and entertaining two-hour diversion, just like TFA was, and just like Ant-Man was. Well worth the ten bucks I'll pay to see it once.

:iceburn:

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
TFA is a silly, forgettable retread of a movie that is made great by some excellent and relatable performances with understandable motivations. The prequals are interesting, memorable, innovative movies ruined by completely terrible and unrelatable performances with mystifying motivations.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Kaiba posted:

The perspective in the shot you posted does seem a bit off, but this is how they're shown in the alternate angle:

But in any case, the eyeline is fine. He's still clearly looking downward:

Why are you showing screenshots from the FMV cutscenes in Dark Forces 2 in the movies thread?

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

Edrio Two Tubes is such an amazing name.

Arthur 'Two Tubes' Jackson

"No, no. Look. This tube business, it doesn't really matter. The tubes aren't important. A few friends call me Two Tubes and that's all there is to it. I wish you'd ask me about my piloting. Everybody talks about the tubes. They've got it out of proportion, I'm a pilot. I'm going to get rid of the tubes. I'm fed up with it!"

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
I felt a keen empathy for Product Manager Krennic. gently caress executives and senior management. gently caress those guys. Let me just show the CEO what I have achieved myself! loving COOs as well man. Just because you give me executive sponsorship it doesn't make it your project! Especially when I did things no one else would have done to make this happen. Christ. Were there issues in the release? Well, maybe internal ones that wouldn't affect the marketing effort. It doesn't make the process null and void.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

I'd like to see an edit where they take out the evil things Krennic does so it looks like he's just trying to get proper credit for doing a good job and his bosses keep dicking him over.

Man, when its crunch time and you have to crash the project to make a deadline you gotta do what you gotta do. Getting poo poo done and moving past the choice is better than sitting around discussing things. A bad decision that keeps the project moving is better than hesitation. I am going to get a Krennic bobblehead to put on my workstation.

And gently caress those violent protestors that would try and stop a job creating government initiative. Think of the boost to the economy the Death Star project would have been.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Cnut the Great posted:

Another aspect of the OT this movie weirdly undermines for no reason:

In A New Hope, Captain Antilles and Leia both declare that they're on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan and that they've intercepted no transmissions. Darth Vader immediately calls bullshit on both of them because he's shrewd and intelligent and isn't easily fooled. It builds him up as a character to be reckoned with, not only physically but also intellectually. It doesn't matter how good your story is, Darth Vader knows when you're lying.

But according to Rogue One, Darth Vader actually just watched the Tantive IV flee from a larger combatant ship during a pitched offensive against the Empire, and directly witnessed Alderaanian troopers physically carrying the plans onto the ship. Now the only reason Vader doesn't buy the Rebels' story is because he isn't literally both blind and braindead.

Again, there was really no reason at all to do this. I get that people wanted to see Darth Vader gently caress poo poo up Force Unleashed style, but they could have had him do it in a different context.

This was actually my biggest problem with the movie as well. Especially why would Princess Leia (pre-ANH princess Leia) have gone to a war zone?

They should have changed it to Vader loving poo poo up to just seeing the plans transmitted to a far away waiting ship as he slaughters the transmission operator - or something like that.

I guess it can be explained that Leia has no idea Vader knows the plans are on the ship and she is just trying to bluff out of it. Though "I have traced the rebels spies to her", really Darth, "traced" them to her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Unfortunately it seems that the movie cut out too much of his character development in the reshoots, so now you can say that he symbolizes films who have their character development hacked up and removed, replaced with cold unfeeling and inanimate approximations of his former humanity, straining to have a semblance of the breath of life in his portrayal.

I also thought this morning that Director Krennic might represent Gareth Edwards' attempt to make a movie in the Disney/Lucasfilm empire.

• Locked thread