Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If you like Star Wars you do not like Star Wars. If you do not like Star Wars you like Star Wars. We must make sure that the two never meet, or they will collide and explode.

quote:

AOTC is the one that attacks fan preconceptions the most.

It's the most boringest one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yorkshire Tea posted:

A senate controlled by Palpatine! He's too dangerous to be put on trial! He controls the law itself!

"I am the law." - Senator Palpatine.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Who titled Plageius "The Wise"? Just Sheev? Was he well known at the time or something?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Race Realists posted:

is.. is this some sort of bait?:wtc:

It's for the best you never looked at the last thread.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bongo Bill posted:

Doing acrobatic flip jumps all the time while fighting looks cool, sorry prequel haters.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

What is this a shot of? I can't tell what the object is. Also your first "First words" image is broken btw.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

lol thanks, I didn't recognize the scene.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

gohmak posted:

No he wasn't. gently caress Kevin Smith

He was partially right. gently caress Kevin Smith.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Today over a work lunch (hell yeah free food) people started talking about the new Star Wars. One person was mad that 30 years of canon was purged because it meant his kid wouldn't care and also now Chewbacca isn't dead anymore. Another person laughed at the Sith Lord Jar-Jar Binks thing. Everyone agreed the prequels were bad and hoped the movie was better. I had tomato basil soup and a panini. Well that's my Star Wars story of the day.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Raxivace posted:

Was the soup good? I liked tomato soup as a child but haven't had any in years.

It tasted pretty good though I usually prefer smoother, creamier soups like tomato bisque. A good bisque with some crotini is amazing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zoran posted:

I'm glad J.J. understood something about Star Wars

Not unless someone steps in it he doesn't.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bongo Bill posted:

As always, the problem is wanting a different story to be told. It is significant that Darth Vader is only cool because of his James Earl Jones voice modulator.

He should have sounded as James Earl Jones as a 9 year old. No explanation why.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Grendels Dad posted:

Attention everybody: When attempting to phrase your dislike of the Star Wars prequels, you must refrain from mentioning:

- Plot
- Acting
- Effects of any kind
- Any ind of fix for perceived flaws in plot or story
- Robots
- Slaves
- Sheev

Please limit discussion of the prequel films to their filmic qualities. Thank you.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

starry skies above posted:

Star Trek Into Darkness has a very high critical approval percentage as well and now that movie is derided.

It is?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So was there ever a story or something about what happened to Jar-Jar Binks after he implemented space fascism for everyone?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BillBear posted:

It made no sense for 2 physically fragile and old dudes who are extremely powerful force users to duke it out with sabers in EP III.

Yoda should have been incredibly swole in the prequels, and he's only tiny and frail because he's old and sick and dying.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cnut the Great posted:

He was befallen by the worst fate anyone could possibly imagine--a lifelong career in politics:

http://www.ew.com/article/2012/02/11/star-wars-deleted-scene-revenge-of-the-sith-jar-jar-binks

Poor Jar-Jar. I guess he lost his job in A New Hope too. :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It bugs me when people chat over an entire movie (I rewatched Fury Road with some friends, one hadn't seen it before, the others would not shut up argh) but I can't imagine how not fun it would be to go to an action movie and not hoot and holler or anything.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I say this a lot but if you watched Furious 7 and at the part where The Rock flexes the cast off his broken arm so he can go ram a drone and steal its minigun the theater is dead quiet then your culture has failed you.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

euphronius posted:

Can't wait till Lucasfilm releases the mod tools.

George "Shitler" Lucas

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Clapping at a film is probably attributable to the effects of social media, and the 'like' stuff on facebook or whatever. Where, in a live performance, you're at least theoretically clapping for the performers, clapping at a theater is unambiguously directed at the other moviegoers in a way that allows you to 'upvote' the film. This serves basically the same function as with Rotten Tomatoes Dot Com - which is, of course, named for the practice of jeering at live performers, but actually just serves to aggregate and amplify audience reactions and then deliver them back to that same audience.

You could achieve the same results by ending each screening with the announcement of a percentage. Not even necessarily a percentage derived from any particular data.

I miss Taytay.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Steve2911 posted:

And I'm respectfully not screaming at the top of my voice every time I'm excited, scared, amused, happy or sad.

Please be excited.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

For sure; what we're dealing with here is a 'subject supposed to enjoy' - we get vicarious enjoyment from watching the Other (in this case, 'the audience') enjoy. This is the same role filled by the Rotten Tomatoes critics, the counters beneath youtube videos that display the ratio of thumbs-ups and thumbs-downs, and "I liked it" posts in Cinema Discusso.

Counterintuitively, people do not press the 'like' button in order to register their enjoyment, but press the 'like' button in order to begin enjoying.

Honestly I figured you made that last post just to be a butt about your avatar.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Just got out of the theater. That was really good! Much better than the prequels. People clapped at the beginning and end. :v:

It felt a bit rushed though. Like the laser kills the Senate and no one really cares.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 18, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bran Loghair posted:

That was just some random backwater place, not what you think it was.

Oh, didn't they say they were blowing up the Senate and the New Republic? Or was that just the first location on the list of things to explode?

Also why is the New Republic funding a space fleet (which got exploded when those planets did) and the Resistance? Is it not at war with the First Order? Are they actually fooling anyone by secretly funding them?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bran Loghair posted:

They mention the name of the system that got blown up, it wasn't Coruscant and didn't look like it. The Republic fleet wasn't there either. It was just a display of power and a test of the weapon like with Leia's planet in ANH. They'll probably show more of the actual Republic later on but I'd assume the First Order is out in a region of space that might have once been a part of the Empire but has yet to reestablish itself with the new Republic so the Republic doesn't have much of a foot to stand on showing up with their whole fleet out in star systems that don't recognize them officially yet.

Oh gotcha, I misunderstood what Space Turbohitler was saying. There was definitely a line in there about how their fleet exploded and thus couldn't help out though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I hope the twist is that Rey is just some rando with no connection to anyone.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

hiddenriverninja posted:

I liked our first moments with Kylo Ren when he stops a blaster bolt with just the loving Force. He was set up to be some kind of super bad rear end but it gets delightfully subverted every time.

That effect was really cool looking btw, with how it vibrated and shifted instead of just being held still.

quote:

Kylo Ren's rageouts vaguely reminded me of Charles Foster Kane trashing the room. I feel bad for Chewie. Having to watch his best friend killed by his son, practically Chewie's nephew, and then having to shoot him.

I also enjoyed how Chewie let out a howl of grief then went 'gently caress this' and triggered the bombs.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 18, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How many Ewoks do you think Kylo Ren killed to get Darth Vader's helmet?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Not only that but he kept pounding on it because he was using the pain to drive himself further.

I figured he was bracing himself to keep him going or something, that makes much more sense.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

INH5 posted:

Speaking of which, if the superweapon has to suck up an entire star before it can fire, then how did it fire twice? Was it in a binary star system? If so, does that mean that the First Order spent a ludicrous-even-by-Star-Wars-standards amount of money on a superweapon that only has two shots?

I don't think it has to, it's just that the second shot was taking up the rest of it. And the first shot blew up nearly all of their enemies so it was a pretty good shot.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hbomberguy posted:

I ask this question because Anakin quite clearly cares about people.

He has a lot of feelings for people, especially the younglings.

quote:

The movie doesn't want anything.

I bet the artists do though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hbomberguy posted:

So you agree.

Yes in the sense that nobody's going to say "the director, producer, writers, artists, technicians, and army of interns who created this movie" instead of "the movie". My mistake was not noticing who wrote that because the ignore list doesn't work when writing a reply.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 22, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Neurolimal posted:

It makes frequent callbacks to ROTJ because it is a direct sequel to ROTJ in a setting where the characters of ROTJ are unavoidable. It also expands on direct OT moments, reflects on them, and makes use of characters from ROTJ (which is old enough that, for plenty of kids, Han Solo means "this old guy in a black vest").

He has a jacket now!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hbomberguy posted:

The movie and the people who created it are not the same thing, and intent cannot be detected through a work itself.

I disagree, whether the art is made by one or one million. You don't think a visual or audio cue or flourish can evoke anything? When General Turbohitler gave his very rousing speech what do you think the artists intended you to think of the First Order? Any thoughts come to mind with those outfits and banners? The movie is the product of people. People can express themselves through artistic means. Sometimes they even try to say something. While the statement "a movie can't want" is cute, it's also largely meaningless as a result.

e: And while there may be seventeen co-writers, I bet someone or some group has final say on what goes in.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 22, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hbomberguy posted:

So the dozens of artists who did the work on that scene all had the exact same intent? How do you know this? Can you list who did everything and their particular thoughts on the First Order?

I'm sorry I had this thought while you were typing. I'm really bad about that lately.

"And while there may be seventeen co-writers, I bet someone or some group has final say on what goes in. "

So, what do you think? Anything evocative about that scene?

quote:

I wish I could read the minds of dozens of people based on a film they worked on.

The Force is strong in my family.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I couldn't decipher one single fathomable reason for Anakin turning to the dark side after watching those movies.

The reason is Anakin is incredibly stupid and gullible.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Didn't care for it?

He wouldn't, honestly.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Neurolimal posted:

Anakin already knew a way to stop people from dying; it prolly involves not letting them be slaves on an anarchist planet controlled by a slug mob

It's too bad he didn't learn that lasers through the body don't stop people from dying, he was just trying to help those poor kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

The Jedi are relentless; if they are not all destroyed, it will be civil war without end

I guess he wasn't wrong in the end.

• Locked thread