Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

ungulateman posted:

All the ads for Gilette ('a father passes knowledge down to his son!' :downs:) make me feel profoundly uncomfortable.
A LOT of the marketing for Star Wars-related products this year is predicated on this "IMPOSE THE MAGIC OF STAR WARS ON YOUR KIDS!!' and it really pisses me off, that Toys R Us one with the daughter is the worst of all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

In the old thread I was one of the PT naysayers but thanks to the discussions we had I went out and bought the 3 pack PT DVD set today and will watch them this week with an open heart and mind. :glomp:
I rewatched them at the weekend, hoping to find the good in them. My thoughts:

- The Phantom Menace's opening 30 minutes are loving atrocious and feel kinda racist. The overall flow of the film is really weird - it cuts to new scenes with no natural 'end' point for the current scene and jumps from planet to planet with no introduction. The CGI has not aged well at all, but Naboo / Gungan City are beautiful. Everything with Anakin in it is really off-putting. The pod race is still kinda awesome and holds up well. The duel is great, but the space battle lacks any kind of stakes. I couldn't stop laughing at the part where Padme and her team rappel up the side of the palace. It's so lame.

- Attack of the Clones is just irredeemable. The acting is at its absolute worst, the CGI sucks and stands out like a sore thumb. The colosseum scene with all the Jedi is a monument to all of George's sins as far as the prequels go. The romance stuff is unwatchable.

- Revenge of the Sith's opening 30 is this kinda tantalizing glimpse at what a *good* prequel trilogy might have looked liked. There's still hokey acting, but the action is well done and still looks great today, along with some genuinely fun banter between Obi Wan and Anakin. I can't help but think General Grievous is kinda a fun villain and I kinda wish they'd used him and Maul as a duo through all three prequels. Anakin's downfall is actually quite close to being well-executed, but that "What have I DONE!" line just kills any hope of drama. The lightsaber duels in this one are all really poorly choreographed, the worst offender being the Mace/Palpatine duel where Mace just kinda walks past Palpatine scot-free. The childbirth scene is atrocious and embarrassing.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He was telling me that the favourite characters for people his age are usually Qui Gon or Mace Windu because he had that cool purple lightsabre and I just nodded at him.
Yeah gently caress that guy for engaging you in a conversation about something you both like

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

weekly font posted:

Baby me owned an action figure of the conehead Jedi. I don't remember a loving thing we're told about him in the actual movies.
That's because you aren't told anything about him

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

starry skies above posted:

That's a damning criticism.
I disagree. There are awkward story holes, but god drat it is a fun movie in the spirit of Star Wars.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

So, has anyone taken a swing at a timeline for the 30-year gap between ROTJ and TFA? I guess some of the new books will expound, but I would assume, using conjecture and stuff from the film:

- Galactic Civil War continues for at least one year after the Death Star II blows up
- Battle of Jakku happens, Civil War formally ends
- The Rebel Alliance takes control of the Imperial seat of power around this time (presumably still Coruscant)
- Galactic Senate is restored, Republic reformed but isn't quite as great as the Rebellion hoped
- A period of relative peace while the Empire's remnant reorganises (maybe around 10, 15 years?)
- Leia in some kind of governmental role within the Republic but none too happy about it
- In this period of time, Snoke is a known quantity to the Republic (Leia speaks about him as if she knew him)
- Ben Solo born
- Rey sent to Jakku around the time the First Order materializes to protect her from their hunt. Pretty sure Max von Syndow's character is in a Obi Wan-like protector role.
- Luke investigates the Jedi Order and tries to train people to become Jedi
- Ben exhibits force-sensitivity, has some training
- Things don't go so well, Ben leads some kind of revolt against Luke's teaching alongside other students (would explain Kylo Ren having a squad with him and the dead bodies in the Force-back), probably after Palpatine-like manipulation by Snoke - I would peg this around 2 or 3 years before TFA?
- Luke goes into self-imposed exile to get his poo poo together
- Han and Leia have their breakup
- Events of this movie???
-???

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Bucswabe posted:

Also, people have been commenting on Rey being completely inexperienced with force powers / Jedi combat. But I am guessing that we will find out that Rey was actually being trained as a Jedi when she was very young (particularly if she's Luke's daughter) and simply forgot all of it when she had to be abandoned.
When they're in Maz's castle, she has a straight-up 'gently caress THIS!' reaction to the lightsaber that I don't think would happen unless she had some prior Jedi history

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

Unfortunately no, that would have been pretty cool though. These were the designs before they realized time was running too thin to make another expressive puppet that could handle Maz's scenes, the finished design plays up her role of observation and advice:

Maz seems paler here than in the movie, where's she straight up looks like a tangerine with eyeballs drawn on. It's a better look.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

corn in the fridge posted:

Han's fascination with Chewie's bowcaster was really strange for me too. I was always under the impression that it was an overly heavy and unwieldy weapon requiring great strength to use ( do blasters have recoil??) so it really weirded me out when Han just picked or up and started blasting fools.
It was a pretty funny little side-gag throughout the film though I thought it was kinda strange that Han just casually asked Chewie to give up his only weapon in the middle of a firefight on Takodana.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I feel like the third act and finale would have flowed a whole lot better if Starkiller Base had been replaced with a battle on the planet where Luke was - the film's biggest failing is that the "Find Luke" motivator gets waylaid for quite a while. Have the third act play out like:

- Movie proceeds as-is until the Resistance returns to their base
- BB-8 returns the Luke Map and pieces it with R2's map
- Kylo is able to get the Luke Map out of Rey's mind, but the scene still plays out with Rey eventually resisting
- Have the First Order and Resistance race to Luke's planet to try and track him down, with a battle breaking out on the surface
- Replace the trench run X-Wing stuff with a space battle between Resistance and FO fleets
- The Kylo/Han stuff can still happen, just on the planet instead of the base
- The Resistance eventually beats back the First Order
- Rey goes to see Luke

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

They both ended up making stories about fighting Space Fascism in the late 70s (Gundam came out in 79, Star Wars in 77), and both had beam/light sabers and psychic teenagers and were critical of imperialism (George of the Vietnam War, Tomino of the old Imperial Japan).
I always found the similarities between Luke Skywalker and Amuro Ray pretty interesting. Technical geniuses from backwaters who end up with magic psychic powers that let them do crazy space stuff in a devastating civil war that's already well underway. Both want to be heroes, but invariably end up making things worse for everyone when they try. You could even draw some clean parallels between their story arcs (MSG/Zeta/CCA vs ANH/ESB/ROTJ).

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

It makes a lot of sense that Han and Leia would be lovely parents, imo. Characterizing them as such in TFA shows due respect+understanding of the OT.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Waffles Inc. posted:

Clones: This is tougher...maybe the droid factory?
The Naboo section in the middle for sure

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Waffles Inc. posted:

Yeah honestly Hayden Christensen's life post-Star Wars reads more like the life of a dude who got gently caress you money and decided to live it how he wanted

Kinda like Daniel Radcliffe
Daniel Radcliffe has been in some pretty fuckin good movies post-Harry Potter, Rupert Grint is pretty much the only major star from those films who isn't doing that well for himself

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

A Deacon posted:

Tarkin. I couldn't tell the difference between CGI Tarkin and the real one. I thought it was really well done.
are you serious

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

Also, why is ESB considered the best? I like ESB, but that it's the best just seems to go unquestioned. I suspect it's often hailed as the best because it suits certain prejudices--like, those of us who first saw Star Wars when we were toddlers could still point to ESB as the "dark, gritty" one when we put kids' stuff aside for serious movies.
Not really anything to do with the tone to be honest. I think it's just straight-up the most well-made Star Wars film. I can only speak for myself, but:
- tightest story
- best performances combined with the least cumbersome dialogue
- most memorable score
- probably has the highest density of 'iconic' star wars moments
- most impressive VFX

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Mark Hamill has had some really bad ideas for Luke over the years so Rian doing the exact opposite of what he thinks is right is a good sign

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

i'm really excited to see how badly this film turns out

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Timby posted:

In addition to Han Solo, Obi-Wan and Boba Fett, Variety says that a standalone movie about Jabba is in development, as well. :stare:
A Jabba movie would work if it took inspiration from the Tales From Jabba's Palace book I read when I was 10 years old, just an anthology film (within a series of anthology films I guess??) about various palace patrons

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

e: i'm dumb and dont get jokes

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I'm fairly cynical about Star Wars these days but daaaaamn I can't help but feel a lil excited by this

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

Well, there were a few canon additions to the lore in Rogue One.
They featured some stuff from Star Wars Rebels (showing the Ghost, Chopper, mentioning "General Syndulla," the Hammerhead corvettes).
Also, it retconned in that the weakness of the Death Star was an intentional design flaw (for better or worse impact on the story).
There's also a weird bit of continuity with the sequels - the Resistance flagship in The Last Jedi is named after the Mon Calamari admiral from Rogue One

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

El Burbo posted:

I liked it when he said "The POWAH we are dealing with is immeasurable"

Too bad he never said it
There's a lot of good lines in the Disney Star Wars trailers that never seem to show up in the films like Finn's "I was raised to do one thing" from the final TFA trailer

What are the odds Luke never talks about ending the Jedi in TLJ

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Thanks for these, they're surprisingly good and have a lot of interesting scenes that aren't in the film (particularly with Tarkin) - were they devised for the drama or based off old drafts of the script?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Is it really that likely to sell out on the very first day tickets become available? Theatres know this is going to be huge and will be planning accordingly, I imagine. I booked midnight tickets for Force Awakens the night-of and that was arguably a more hyped and anticipated film than TLJ is.

• Locked thread