Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Did anyone expect anything else though? Disney knew what they were doing when they hired JJ. He'll give us a safe but watchable relaunch of a franchise that gets the audience excited again. Rian Johnson will experiment a bit and likely give us the best of the new trilogy. Colin Trevorrow will make a flawed, but decent conclusion that fans will be split on hating.

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Josh Lyman posted:

So have you. Grown more beautiful, I mean.

:suicide:

For a senator, I mean!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Those lines have the potential to be really bad, but Boyega just kills it. He's insanely likeable.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

MisterBibs posted:

That's what makes Vader a better bad guy than Kylo

This is literally the entire point of the character.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It works in the OT because it's just the two of them. You throw a kid into the mix, and yeah, of course Leia's going to be absent a lot, building this fledgling New Republic, and of course Han is going to start feeling too tied down and want to wander. Luke's off training Jedi, so who's left to raise Ben? Chewie and Threepio? No wonder he snapped.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
poo poo dude, just look at the old EU. No writer ever knew what the gently caress to do with Han after he and Leia got married and had kids. He's either a tag along to the story or they gave him another "hey lets go see what Lando's up to" plot. Han was garbage because they were trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. That character would never make a good father or even a good husband.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Cnut the Great posted:

He could make a good father and husband if people weren't so obsessed with having him act exactly like the cocky, smart-mouthed scoundrel he was in the OT. But you're right, that's not what the people want. They want that Han Solo. They don't want something unfamiliar.

Do you really find it so hard to accept that a person like Han Solo could genuinely grow and change? Why does Star Wars have to be so cynical now?
"If Han completely changed his personality he might be a good father!"

There's no place for Han post-Jedi. He's either a peacetime General or he goes back to smuggling. Leia's off politicking and Luke is doing Jedi stuff. Han has no experience with either. Then you give him a kid he doesn't know how to raise and expect him to be complacent and stable.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

if you want your heroes to settle down and have happy, peaceful lives stop making stories about them

This guy gets it.

Without family conflict, you don't have a story to tell.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Cnut, if you really want stories where Han is a decent dad to his three boring kids, there's 15 years worth of novels for you to check out.

Except for that one time Chewie died and Han became an abusive space-alcoholic who blamed the youngest son.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

euphronius posted:

Han did become Han-dad. He didn't go back to being Han until Ben became a |sith lord|

And Ben went evil because Han-dad doesn't work.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Cnut the Great posted:

You can have family conflict without portraying Han and Leia as selfish, negligent parents. There are some things you can't control. Children are separate individuals who make their own choices regardless of how well you guide them. That would be a far more interesting story to tell than what we got. Instead, the story is that Han and Leia just totally suck at being parents, and so of course Kylo turned out all hosed up.

No, the story is that Ben couldn't handle his family destiny (son of famous rebels and nephew of Jedi grandmaster) and started reading up on ol' grandad. Han and Leia being lovely parents enables all this, but Ben is hosed up because of his own choices.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I can honestly understand both arguments (mostly). But as someone who grew up reading stories about Han and Leia living happily (more or less) ever after, I'm ready for something new. I never thought Han's family life in the old EU really fit him. Not because I wanted the cocky rear end in a top hat from ANH, but simply because the stories never suited him. Of the dozens of EU authors who took a stab at it, none of them seemed to make him click in that post-Jedi universe. He was usually relegated to comic relief or audience insert ("Who are these guys? Why can't I just shoot them?"), and that's a really boring use for Han Solo. His role in TFA has more weight and importance than anything since Empire. A heartbroken Han finding a renewed purpose in helping the new cast? Fantastic. That final attempt to redeem a son he still loves? Incredible.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

AndyElusive posted:

Has Ford ever commented or said anything about what he thinks about the Solo origin movie or is he so far removed from the character now that he's done his death scene that he doesn't even give a poo poo anymore? I mean he's the reason why the character is as iconic as it is.

This is his response to "What advice would you give the actor playing Young Han Solo?"

Harrison Ford posted:

I would say, ‘Talk to your director. Watch the movies. And welcome aboard. Make it your own.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Jewmanji posted:

Pretty cool, but looks more like a Fallout character than Star Wars.

As far as teasers for teasers for ads for offshoot movies go, this was probably best-in-class though.

I dunno, you can clearly see OT Stormtrooper design cues in the top and sides. It's really just the mouthpiece/snout that's radically different.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Is Darth Vader confirmed to be in Rogue One?

It's all hearsay based on the original Vader helmet sculptor being hired to do something for one of the new movies (but was probably the burnt TFA mask) and tall dudes being hired for stunt work.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Aside from the folks in that cast picture you also have Mads Mikkelson playing some type of Imperial, possibly the guy who feeds them info on the plans. It does seem like they're missing a big bad who chases the team down. Though there's been constant rumors of the ESB bounty hunters appearing in that capacity.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Proposition Joe posted:

Forest Whitaker, Ben Mendelsohn, and Alan Tudyk are also in the movie but not the cast photo.

I completely forgot about them. Tudyk is rumored to be a mo-cap droid and the common rumor for Whitaker is bounty hunter.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

I was waiting for those pilots to trip. Those ejection straps are hell to walk in, let alone run.

Trailer looks great and Mendelsohn looks fly as gently caress.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I don't think a Star Wars movie starring Donnie Yen, Forest Whitaker, and Mads Mikkelsen based on three lines of dialogue from the original film is particularly "low-risk", but what do I know? :shrug:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Cnut the Great posted:

drat, yeah, you're right. I hope Disney don't lose their shirts on this thing. Are people even still interested in Star Wars anymore?

:jerkbag:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Page Six is a lovely gossip rag. They probably found out about Donnie Yen's confirmed reshooting and ran with it. They also don't list any reasons for why the Disney screenings didn't go well, which is fishy. Usually when you hear a screening was poo poo, you also find out why. Unless an actual cast or crew member speaks up or Disney pushes the release, I'd assume Page6 was just embellishing a thin story.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Die Hard 2 sucks, dude.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Got tickets at my local theater, but Alamo wouldn't accept any of my payment options because the page kept crashing during processing :shrug: Good job making GBS threads the bed on this, you only had a full year to prepare.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Principal photography was finished months ago and Carrie wasn't there for the whole shoot anyway. I hope she gets better, but that's probably impossible at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if there's severe brain damage or brain death given how long she was unresponsive. My grandfather had the same thing happen earlier this year; heart attack -> 10-15 minutes unresponsive -> resuscitated with CPR, but brain death had already occurred and he was taken off the ventilator the next day. Don't be surprised if the same happens with Carrie tomorrow.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Wait, people don't like Hondo? He was the best original character to come out of Clone Wars.

Hondo is right up there with battle droid voices and Anakin love scenes when it comes to "poo poo that makes me want to quit these Star Wars".

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Bongo Bill posted:

The non-Episode movies are the Anthology. Or, at least, they were. Maybe they stopped using that term.

They have, they're using "A Star Wars Story" now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Jewmanji posted:

I'm sorry, this is very interesting but I'm unclear what point it is rebutting. What is the original argument that this is responding to?

Someone earlier had argued that Obi-Wan was dressed as a farmer in ANH in order to blend in on Tatooine and that the prequels hosed up by aping that style for every jedi.

• Locked thread