Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
well why not
Feb 10, 2009

i really don't think weird independent sci fi / fantasy needs its' own cinematic universe this feels excessive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also the 2016 Rogue One movie will be set between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope so it's going to be prequely-ish.

Hoping that all props throughout Rogue One get dirtier and more 70's looking over the duration of the film

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

A Wordpress blog has gone against the grain and only awarded it 2/4, killing the 100%. People in the comments are livid. (It's not a great review, to be fair).

quote:

Loved “Star Wars.” This is the same movie. Do people deserve credit for copying that, and just making it more PC? Nope.

Angling for clicks or pushing a weird agenda? Who knows!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I loved the movie overall, it's truly what I'd hoped it would be. I must say, I really wanted Greg Gruenwald to be Porkins 2.0. Instead he does nothing and just made me super-aware that JJ Abrams was directing. A really minor qualm, I admit.

Also, I'm predicting a Poe Dameron spinoff announcement any day now. They need to fill up one of those Disney-branded dump trucks with mousebucks and drive it on over to Oscar Isaac's house.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Pretending that Jakku wasn't fleshed out enough is pretty dishonest or ignorant. We spend about an hour cutting back to it. We see the economy, the wildlife, the locals, the resources and the mindset of the people who live there. Almost every lead character spends time on Jakku, or has a link to it. Tell me what the people of Naboo, Alderaan or Mustafar are like? Or tell me about the details of any space movie planet that is more detailed? Aside from Pandora in Avatar, I'm drawing a blank.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It's really weird that 'Force Powers' are categorised so heavily. Force abilities are so, so nebulous in the films, but outside of that it's all Force Push this, Force Pull That, Mind Trick this, Magic Missile That.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Snoke is a first name. His family name is Weederyday.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'd like to discuss what a SW film directed by Shane Carruth would be like.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-prequels-miniatures/2/

A lot of the stuff people complain about being CGI isn't even CGI.

The movie does look a little unusual, probably due to technical constraints - certain combined shots do look oddly flat and blurry. In camera shot selection and composition is fine, the technology for compositing and stuff just didn't quite seem to be where it needed to be. I'd call it well shot, overall.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It's interesting to hear from Cameron about the pacing. I really agree with him about the lack of shots 'for the sake of' shots. It seems like most big films these days give a requisite single establishing shot on location change and then move on. There's little breathing room in the modern blockbuster. Pacing is really where good films become great.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

James Cameron has patents on a few things, apparently:

http://patents.justia.com/inventor/james-cameron

Between T2 & The Abyss he's definitely been a huge influence on CG getting into more movies. Say what you will about the guy's films and personal life, but to attack his innovations or ethic is crazy. Other directors wish they had a brain like that guy.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

So Mads will be the Obi-Wan analog to Jyn's Luke. It really does rhyme a lot.

He's more like Obi Wan than I initially thought, an older european actor who is far, far too talented to be in these movies. I'm predicting he'll eat it as well.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Makes them very comparable tbh.

They both feature light-up magic swords, magic, big battles, epic scores, Christopher Lee and endless, mindless drones getting scuttled. Hell, even an NZ actor shows up in Episode II.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

i think it's more about they're going off-book on what sort of clockwipes they're using

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yeah, very safe to make a character try to kill his pregnant wife on top of weird Flash Gordon aesthetics. Seems like in 2005 every damned movie had spousal abuse in rocket age pastels.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I really wonder what the Han Solo film's arc is going to be. Is it going to show him become an aloof scumbag? Was he meant to be an ex-Imperial officer? Is young Han Solo going to be like, tried at space-nuremberg or something? Is he going to narrowly escape being space-hanged in the space-hague?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hybrid

I'd actually take this mention of wookiepedia to introduce one of the stupidest time wasters I've ever invented. Visit wookipedia, hit random article and post your new Liquid DNB / Cloud Rap / Vaporwave Artist and Album name.

Fabrin - Novolek Beacon
Ketter Yaaran - Atmospheric Dampener

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

#dumpstarwars

politics ruin everything they touch

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The repetition of elements across this series is one of the key parts of why I find it interesting. The rhyming nature is fascinating.

Also, it's funny people complain about 'repetition' while ponying up cash for the eight film in a franchise.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

He illustrated the Rebel 'alliance' was fractured and provided Jyn an upbringing and training, in lieu of her dead/captive parents.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

People hate when things don't match up with the impossible expectations they've built up over a slavish 20 year dedication to a franchise.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Ob-Wan is just Volcel Errol Flynn, everyone knows this.

do we????

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

We can talk about prequel memes sure. I love them, I love them all unconditionally. They've added a huge amount of interest to the prequels.

They're fertile ground for memes due to being unhinged, stuck in the early 2000s and kinda nutty.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I enjoy the OT + TFA because they're fun and nostalgic, I enjoy the prequels because I live for detatched, ironic memes and weird high-budget outsider art.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

me too thanks

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Hayden Christensen is going to be there and Reddit is putting up notices to not harass him about hating sand.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Savidudeosoo posted:

He's only like, 2 years younger than me. How did he never see the OT.

I saw them on loving VHS, ffs.

I'm a few years older still but we literally watched them in school, on VHS. It ruled.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The real fun thing about Episode 8 is that it implicitly makes Episode 7 completely irrelevant the same way Episode 7 did with 6.

Hell, Ep II makes Ep I redundant. Next to nothing from Ep I carries across.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

You're correct that it's a strength, but the films are far too different. Anakin in Ep I and Ep II not only have different actors, they have entirely different personalities. Qui Gon is barely references outside of a mention in Ep III. Jar-Jar is surgically removed. Ep I may as well be a standalone. It's good that they're independent, but that's less important when they're literally deemed 'episodes'.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

hiddenriverninja posted:

quick post the most obscure star wars trivia you know

Icecream Machine guy's name is Willrow Hood

i will die alone

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Isn't Trevorrow the guy Spielberg handpicked for JW? Maybe he is a Spielberg/Lucas sleeper agent.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

so in conclusion the Prequels are not as bad as spousal abuse or RLM.

this thread really does go through cycles

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Like there's an excerpt from Palpatine's notebook shortly after Grievous is blasted with "GUNS" underline a whole bunch?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

mllaneza posted:

They ere actually showing they can create, not just criticize. The weirdly and deeply messed up relationship between Plinkett and the hooker who escapes and comes back for revenge is better developed than Anakin and Padme's relationship. You may be right about why they chose to go with a psycho basement murderer as their main character though, the basement is the key reference there.

I think that once your review has characters and arcs you're well past the point of ridicule-worthy obsession.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm just stunned that Mads Mikkelsen played a good guy in an American movie.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

So was Anakin's mother actually raped or what? What do the Sand People actually do with slaves, they're not agricultural as far as I can tell...

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Don't ever try and think about economics of anything in Star Wars. How much does a clone army cost, and if a government has an entire planet worth of cloning agencies, how could you possibly have something to pay them that thay'd want?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I can imagine them making a movie about the rebellion recruiting a pod racer for some secret high-stakes mission. You could include a few race scenes and a big race / battle finale.

I realise that this is basically the same "Fast & Furious in Space" idea people have pitched forever just attacked from the different end and I don't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

haha holy gently caress... or you could just watch the movies in the order they were released like a normal person

• Locked thread