Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

jivjov posted:

How so? We've got another year to go before release, it seems to have gotten the same amount of production time as Episode VII.

Speak of the devil...

I doubt we'll be getting it alongside TFA; prints are already out in the wild, and if the trailer is just now being shown around Lucasfilm, it's probably not attached to the film proper. Still, 'soon' seems to be the right word here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Pyronic posted:

Who was the guy who showed up in head to toe green paint, a pink bathrobe and yoda ears?

Joseph Gordon-Levitt, seems like:

Pajama pants not lore-appropriate, 7/10. :v:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

So I guess this movie is good

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

ThePutty posted:

i really want to see that force vision segment again because it seems like one of the more important scenes in the movie. hope it gets out on the internet somewhere

Images of it have indeed leaked out; don't know if it's kosher to post them here (as they're basically screengrabs of a cam rip) but regarding that dude, it's definitely not Zuvio; his face is uncovered and has far-more-human characteristics than the Constable does. I'm guessing he's a pupil of Luke's trying to protect little Rey before getting stabbed in the back by Kylo.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Sir Lemming posted:

TFA is the opposite extreme, almost to a fault. There's literally almost no exposition at all after the opening text crawl. I actually might've liked just one or two scenes in the Republic government office or whatever, just to show some people saying "how about that New Order, I'm glad the Resistance is around, hopefully we don't get attacked" or something. But overall, Abrams took the right approach here.

Thing is, Abrams had literally shot scenes with that same expository intent in mind.

There's that one shot of the folks on Hosnian Prime reacting to their imminent doom, but the camera is plainly focused on one woman dressed up in a Resistance uniform; she was apparently supposed to be Leia's aide, and we would have seen her, had they not cut her scenes, petitioning the Senate for more concrete assistance against the First Order. But as one might imagine, that would have taken away from the pacing of the kids encountering Han Solo and going to Maz's watering hole, plus I personally think that X-Wings dropping in to kick rear end is a better introduction to the Resistance than Senate procedures.

Can't wait to see it as a deleted scene, though.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 24, 2015

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I like how unwieldy the Falcon appears in this shot (and the escape sequence in general). Really reinforces the idea that Rey's still learning how to fly the dang thing in the midst of all this mayhem.

Additionally, the scorched terrain on either side of the Starkiller is a nice continuity nod.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

ShineDog posted:

I can't believe the Senate scene isn't one of the deleted bits. The one huge gaping hole that would lend the essential context to starkiller firing and its not on there.

I'm getting the impression that all of the deleted scenes on the disc are the ones that just barely ended up on the cutting room floor, seeing as the ones that have leaked (like the Kylo Ren one) seem to have final effects and music on them, like the scenes that were included on the Episode I-III DVDs.

Expect the senate scene in the "Complete Saga" boxset we get in a few years; that's where all the pre-vis and dailies-quality deleted scenes from the Prequels ended up last time around.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Teek posted:

The problem with these types of tweaks, is we never know how the movies would have flowed originally. I'm not familiar with to what degree III adjusted that plot line. Did it improve things? We can't really tell at this point since we'll never see the original. Being largely unhappy with Anakin's reasoning for his heel turn, I wonder.

I know at least for the ROTS reshoots, the Mace/Palpy duel was heavily modified; Anakin was supposed to be there for the entire duration, but observing from afar (presumably embattled over which side to support) in addition to Ian Mcdiarmid being almost completely replaced by a stunt double as opposed to the final version where it's actually him for most of the fight. Apparently, the same CG face method used for the Dooku duels wasn't working out with this one.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

In non-Thrawn-related news, Rogue One may not have an opening crawl, according to Kathleen Kennedy.

Doesn't really bother me much considering that some enterprising fans will likely edit one in after the home release is out.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

korusan posted:

This looks a hell of a lot more interesting than the prequels or TFA, and I say this as someone who loved the latter. It dawned on me while watching that this might be the first Star Wars with no lightsabers - something twelve year old me would obsess and lament over for "breaking trend", but quite honestly nowadays I'm glad. Break that mold or we're just gonna keep getting the same three movies over and over until we're all dead (and it'll continue after that).

No lightsabers, you say? :haw:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

It's funny because there is actual new RO footage from a Jimmy Fallon cast appearance out there.

The Giacchino score... sounds like a Giacchino score, but given that most of his music sounds like Star Wars anyway, that's a smaller issue than it might usually be. The bigger one in regards to Rogue One is matching said music with the visuals, which may prove a daunting task given the downcast, war-film tones they're talking about.

K-2SO humor is on POINT, though.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 2, 2016

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I actually really dig his MoH scores in addition to the stuff he did for Mercenaries, but his incidental stuff at least has all sounded a bit samey to me since Star Trek 09.

That said, you can either chalk it up to my untrained ear and/or the fact that he was brought in super last minute for Rogue One.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

UmOk posted:

Been over this. Luke is on hallucinogenic drugs provided by Yoda. Yoda is also on them.

"Why didn't you tell me my father was Vader?" Because a hallucination can't tell you something you don't know yourself.

midichlorians, duke

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Almost all of Krennic's lines in the prologue are gold. And it's not so much the writing as it is Mendelsohn's delivery; there's such a sardonic quality to it that ends up making the whole interaction oddly refreshing for a typical Star Wars villain/hero dialogue exchange.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jan 6, 2017

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

On the bright side, there are a ton of bootlegs floating around YouTube and the Internet at large, as quite a lot of that unreleased Prequel music still made it into video games like Battlefront 2 and SWTOR.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

I was the perfect age for those Ewok movies when they came out, I ate them up. They couldn't make them fast enough.

In my time, they'd already been out for almost a decade, but that didn't stop child me from feeling like I'd found a cache of secret Star Wars movies in the back of the Blockbuster. :allears:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Could we talk about prequel memes for a moment? SMG's always talking about how cultural memes (sand) have colored people's perception of the movies. Are internet memes slowly vindicating the prequels? Do the prequels suddenly have a new, albeit ironic audience?

A surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Good Morning America's teasing a thing

https://twitter.com/GMA/status/851411649575530496

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I... don't think that's much of a concern in here.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Ingmar terdman posted:

Episode IX: what if there was a fully armed and operational Starkiller Base

what if instead of drawing on the power of the sun for our superlaser we turned the sun itself into a superlaser

we shall call it killerstar base

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

I hate Star Wars but I love Disneyland, have they said anything on what the rides would be? I don't want some Star Tours bullshit where you are basically just watching a screen which they can continually update to whatever movie is out, nor do I want some glorified video game bullshit

I want a brick-and-mortar roller coaster!!!

There are reportedly two major attractions, one where you personally pilot the Falcon (so basically glorified video game bullshit) and the other, what sounds like a dark ride in which you're caught in the middle of a fight between the First Order and Resistance. Sounds like it may be a bit more than that given how they're hyping up how "innovative" it is.

Here's the ride vehicle for the latter one:

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 15, 2017

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The New Republic having FO-supporting-Imperialist and Populist factions was done at the behest of Rian Johnson for the novel Bloodline, so those ideas are likely to also pop-up in TLJ.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The REAL Goobusters posted:

he's gonna try to gently caress daisy ridley

over my dead body

also we're probably getting Rian again

quote:

Put Rian Johnson atop the short list of directors who might replace the recently departed Colin Trevorrow in Star Wars: Episode IX. Insiders said that nothing is done yet, but that prospect is certainly in the air right now. The Looper helmer fit seamlessly into the Lucasfilm machine, which is no small feat given the number of star directors who’ve been chewed up and spat out under the “creative difference” line in exiting Star Wars movies.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

BarronsArtGallery posted:

lol at that brief scene where a stormtrooper uses what appears to be a shotgun. Like a normal rear end shotgun with projectile bullet spread... :wtc:

Believe it or not, it's actually a carry-over from the Republic Commando game:

I think they have the Bryar pistol from Jedi Knight in there as well

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 27, 2017

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

so why aren't these tix selling out immediately? i bought 4 sets of tickets with no problems

Because they were very overt with the messaging that the tickets wouldn't be going up until after the trailer aired

edit: kinda beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

jivjov posted:

If you want the good center-center seats on premiere night, you kinda have to.

Hell, if you just want seats on premiere night, this is generally a necessity.

• Locked thread