Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
I'm just saying, there's been more bad Star Treks than there have been bad Star Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

Robotnik Nudes posted:

That's the dumbest viewing order I've ever seen, and I have insane obtuse ideas about the order one should watch End of Evangelion, Belladonna of Sadness, Adolescence of Utena, Funky Forest and Gundam Soldiers of Sorrow in.

Unless your ideal viewing order for those is 'in any order literally after every other piece of media in the known universe is consumed first' then yeah, that's p. hosed up.

Everyone knows that the ideal viewing order is IV, V, I, II, III, VI, and then I dunno, Robocop 2.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

Guys I'm so hyped to be probably okay with the new Star Wars.

So. loving. Okay.

The real kicker is that I probably won't be seeing it for another week! Christmas is a loving horrible time to get time off work and do things you enjoy, like spending time with the family STAR WARS MOTHERFUCKER

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

I may be misremembering something, but in the scene where they meet Han, don't they talk about Luke finding / searching for the first Jedi Temple, and some poo poo about the Force being held in check and balance between Light and Dark, and he was searching for that temple as presumably a way to restore or understand it? It was something throwaway like that, they even gave the place a name.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

boy i can't wait until TRAITOR! 'trooper has a 8000 word article on Wookiepedia

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

I'm sure Mark Hamiil's been calling Ewan McGregor for months now and swapping notes on doing Sir Alec Guiness impersonations. Last live-action thing I saw him in was the new Flash series, and I don't remember him being bad in that. I'm sure he'll be fine considering he's probably not going to do much other than emote, offer sage wisdom, and probably just force-wave Kylo into a puddle at some point.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

An interesting twist would be that Rey's origins are exactly the same as Anakin's, only she remembers more. As in, she's a creation of Plagueis or whoever, and he's still jetting around the universe abandoning super Force-sensitive children of his own own creation on desert planets out there to see if anyone else can be more successful than Anakin.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

No loving lie, I once served a customer who was buying a video game alongside his girlfriend / partner / wife / whatever, and she was riding him for being into such 'childish nonsense'. He seemed pretty down about it, and he wasn't buying some super weirdo game, so I made a friendly defence of it while I was bagging, saying it's just a hobby and it's basically the same as a movie in terms of entertainment.

She death-stared me and told me "Well, I don't like any movies either. It's all fake. I don't get how you can like something that isn't real."

The dude and I exchanged a glance that in one second said more than any evening of alcohol-soaked sympathy could ever say.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

Like maybe she spent all her spare time cuddling orphans or something, but more than anything I was struck by just how inhuman a person who either didn't or couldn't be entertained by fiction felt. It just seems so fundamental to what makes us not only human beings, but a species possessing something close to a civilisation.

Like, genre preferences, sure, but fiction as a whole? That's not someone who I'd want to spend any sort of time alone with.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

Quanta posted:

I have been a senior or lead VFX artist on big Hollywood films for years. Films that nerds on this forum have spent hundreds of pages dissecting, and certain things I've personally created that have been analysed to hell.

I can tell you "we used lots of practical effects and minimal CG in this blockbuster!!" is a big joke within our industry. Directors and producers come out with it to appease the people that are most vocal about their hatred of CGI and also make up a big percentage of their target market (in my experience, they tend to be ~25 - 45). Yet, at work, when we look at plates delivered to us by the studio, most of the frame is a blue or green screen. That Force Awakens showreel is a very accurate insight into the treatment that goes into a shot. The build phase for even a mid-budget film is enormous. Force Awakens and Man of Steel, in particular, are films where the producers/directors purposely misled people into believing CGI took a back seat in an appeal to nostalgia, yet each had 1500+ shots with CGI in them.

Us VFX artists tend not to be vocal on the internet to correct misconceptions. I've seen dozens of people over the years at the various companies I've worked at browsing the SA forums. Firstly, we know a lot of the world hates us. Second, we sign contracts with extremely threatening language. Third, we're scared someone from HR is reading our posts. We work in a very secretive and paranoid environment.

Modelling, texturing, rigging, rendering and compositing technology has massively improved from the time the of PT. The technology and talent exists to create jaw-droppingly realistic imagery GIVEN THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF TIME. However there is, undoubtedly, some bad CGI out there (occasionally from the best people or companies in the business), and the number one reason for that is Hollywood producers. The amount of VFX required is increasing every year, yet budgets for VFX are going down, salaries are going down and they want shots delivered in ridiculously short amounts of time. Artists now have to deliver work in half of the time they might have had even 10 years ago, even though the complexity of the work we do and the software we use have increased enormously.

VFX is such meticulous work that no matter how good the artist is, the final product in some cases might look "off" if they're being abused by overtime and expected to deliver in an idiotic time scale (this happens on every big budget film) because Hollywood producers are scum.

Given how much panic the writer's strike of a few years back caused, I would argue that a VFX strike (despite being very unlikely, not because it's not needed, but because the race-to-the-bottom on price and desperate need for a massive workload to stay open at all would mean there'd always be someone willing to not strike) would cripple the industry even more. The real meat of it is in the VFX that isn't obvious, that isn't in-your-face, and if moviemakers were forced to recreate that on-set, in-frame and practical then they'd have a massive meltdown.

Thanks for trying as hard as you guys do, and I hope that eventually something happens that makes the industry a non-soul crushing experience for all you artists.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

So what you're saying is, my hippie parents waving around their slabs of quartz to realign my karmic centres are really just Caveman Jedi.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

Black Bones posted:

So are these guys dustbusters or what?

Like obviously the author intended them to underscore how mechanized the death world is - even the vermin are robots! But I'm genuinely curious as to what the "canon" function is . .

You can see squads of Stormtroopers following them around the Death Star. While I'm sure they do generic slave droid functions, I think their primary function was to show people where to go. You're sure as poo poo not going to be able to remember where the hell you're going in a workplace the size of a moon, especially if you've never been their before. You could get lost for months on the Death Star. So these things would have maps of the Death Star and lead you to where you'd need to go and save you the fate of starving to death in corridor 392272899-B trying to find the shitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

jivjov posted:

Yeah; I really did cry.

Man; I hope her dog went to a loving home. What a lovely little pup. And I'm not a dog guy.

Gary lives with her brother now, iirc

• Locked thread