Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

kiimo posted:

The scathing reviews of Harry Potter books 4-7 on here immediately come to mind.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: WHAT IS THIS loving GARBAGE

To be fair GoF was kinda garbage, and the complaints about angsty Harry in 5 are pretty valid, but 6 and 7 were great and no one had any right to complain about them.

[Edit: Oh right, Star Wars thread. Anyone watching the Red Carpet?]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mahoning posted:

I am.

I don't own any Star Wars merchandise except the DVDs, however I'm currently watching the red carpet premiere. Where does this place me on the nerd scale?

Fake geek girl.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So uh John Boyega wore a single leather glove on his right hand on the red carpet and went out of his way to show off that fact... Wonder if he's trolling.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Movie was fantastic, my only real complaint were the conveniences of Han and Chewie showing up immediately (I mean, I get that they would rush over to hijack the Falcon as soon as the beacon activated or whatever but there really needed to be a bit of breathing room) and R2D2 reactivating right at the end (though their are two reasonable explanations that I've seen--one is that Luke didn't want to risk Han tracking down Luke because Kylo was probably monitoring Han through the Force but that risk was gone after his death; the other is that BB-8 was all "drat Rai is a super badass Jedi and she needs to get trained by Luke stat" (but, y'know, worded better))

Oh yeah, one other minor nitpick: while it's great how the ads were misleading about who the Force user was, I wish they'd also been misleading about Finn's Stormtrooper origins--the lone Stormtrooper reacting to the other one getting shot was such an amazing "wait, hold on a sec" moment but it would have been even more amazing if we didn't basically know ahead of time that it was Finn. Again, though, I'm nitpicking, and it was still a great reminder that while TFA was definitely Star Wars, it's not exactly the same Star Wars we're used to.

Finally, Kylo essentially being the Anakin we wanted all along was fantastic.

9/10 movie, 10/10 mystical space wizard movie.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Honestly I wish that Disney would stop hiring directors known for specific styles of film and then being surprised that the directors are making a film that's exactly what your expect from them. There's a range of comedy present in Lord & Miller's work, including broad slapstick, so I can't really say I'm surprised that there were some Jim Carreyesque scenes, and actually would have been fine with it? Guardians has a decent amount of slapstick too, and that's the finest space opera to come out in ages.

:sigh:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fart City posted:

The problem is if they're truly going to try to do this yearly installment plan, they need to get comfortable with experimentation. There's absolutely room for a balls-out Star Wars comedy, just as there is for a horror movie, or surrealist thriller. But the producers need to know what they want, and not get gunshy if it gets too brave.

Until yesterday I thought that's what they were doing. Rogue One is a heist film that turns into troops-on-the-ground war film, and I thought Solo was gonna be an adventure comedy (a la Raiders), based on the characters, actors, and directors involved. Neither would be "Star Wars" films in the way the main series is--but that's the point.

Fart City posted:

Right, yeah. That's what I was trying to get to in a more long-winded way. Disney/Lucasfilm wants Star Wars to be prestige pictures.

Ugh this annoys me so much. The series remains beloved by everyone despite medicore prequels, terrible EU books, the Droids & Ewoks series, and the loving Christmas special! There's very little that Disney could do to Star Wars to tarnish its reputation that Lucas hasn't already done, so why do they seem so scared of failure?

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Eh all the Dan Brown movies demonstrate to me is that Ron Howard will do exactly what the studio wants him to do--no more, no less--and that's exactly why he was chose to replace L&M.

• Locked thread