Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Zoran posted:

Avatar was one of those films that I really liked when I saw it (twice), but now it just seems thoroughly mediocre.

We need a 900 page thread evangelising Avatar in excruciating detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

spacetoaster posted:

This bothered me too. But he just helped a sith lord kill a master jedi. Probably as rock bottom as rock bottom can get.

Nah I think killing a classroom full of terrified children is worse.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Honestly it was the previous film where I became completely disconnected from the original prequels at that point. Anakin gets back from murdering a whole tribe of Sand People, revealing to Padme that he not only killed the men but the women and the children too.

And then...nothing. She literally says nothing. It's almost forgotten in the next 2 minutes and its never brought up again. It's like she didn't care, and we shouldn't either. I remember my immersion was so broken that I was actually looking around the theater at people rather than watching the film.

Padme is a racist.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ok your content in the old thread was interesting but this is absolute nonsense.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Zoran posted:

I just watched the TPM one. Personally, I think the number one red flag in prequel criticism is when someone says that Jar-Jar was "not important." Annoying? Sure! Some of the jokes involving him fell flat? Yep! But not important? Qui-Gon sees value in him when no one else (including the audience and also all the other characters) does. Eventually, it's Jar-Jar who shows Amidala that the solution to her problem was in front of her the whole time. Padmé didn't need to go to Coruscant and she didn't need to put Palpatine in power, but she did, just because her society was too racist to even consider asking the Gungans for help. Padmé's breakthrough is in overcoming her own prejudices, and it only happens because Qui-Gon kept Jar-Jar around.

Qui Gon thinks no more of Jar Jar than anyone else and keeps him around when he's useful because he has no other options.

Then Jar Jar is tricked into starting a galactic war and ushering in 20+ years of hell.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Zoran posted:

Qui-Gon didn't really need a navigator to get through the planet core. All the navigating shown on-screen is done by Qui-Gon himself. Obi-Wan wanted to leave Jar Jar behind in Otoh Gunga, and Qui-Gon wouldn't let him.

And given future events Obi Wan was pretty justified.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BigglesSWE posted:

Didn't the Extended Universe (Legends, and thank Zark for that) revive him, making him part-droid or sorting? I think I saw that somewhere, and it sure sounds right up the EU's alley doesn't it?

After 3 minutes on Wookiepedia, I think he's still alive at the time of The Force Awakens in the current canon, unless he died off screen or of natural causes.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Basebf555 posted:

It's not so much that the Jedi are wrong on any specific point, its that they are overly dogmatic and also hypocritical on top of it. The fact that Anakin loves Padme isn't what leads to him falling to the Dark Side, its that he's been conditioned by the Jedi to think he's committing some sort of sin. The secrecy they force him and Padme into directly results in his vulnerability to Palpatine.

if they Jedi were cool with them being married, he'd still have the vision of her dying. The Jedi would say 'well that's poo poo but we can't help sorry' and Palpatine would still lie and say he can save her. Same thing happens.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Basebf555 posted:

Had he been able to talk his problems out with Obi Wan or Yoda there's a very high chance they would have sniffed out what Palpatine was doing and things would have gone much differently. He doesn't because he doesn't trust them and assumes they won't even listen to what he as to say with an open mind.

Anakin basically tells Yoda everything (without actually saying anything directly) while sweating and almost crying and Yoda doesn't make any attempt to connect the dots.

What I'm saying is that the whole dogmatic anti-emotion thing doesn't really make any difference when they're all ridiculously blind to what's going on regardless (and not in a 'Ah-ha! They're so blind!' way, but in a 'Real people are not this dumb, even Trump supporters' way).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

a starwar betamax posted:

Actually, I think it's more the other way around. The Jedi aren't to abstain from sexual relationships...... just to abstain from "attachment". Which agape love would definitely constitute.

Do they bang space hookers then?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

hemale in pain posted:

I watched the original series so now I'm watching the prequels. The phantom menace is a lot prettier than I remember it being, all the CGI is good apart from Jar Jar, some of the aliens and the battle droids. It's a shame every scene with Jar Jar is unbearable because it's an okay movie outside of that.
TPM is somehow infinitely better looking than AOTC. It's bizarre.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

feedmyleg posted:

The only person whose reaction isn't totally glowing so far is Devin Faraci's, who thought the plot was dumb. So don't get ahead of yourselves, y'all, you're not guaranteed to dig it.

One person has not loved it. So we may all not love it!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I couldn't get tickets that suited my work schedule until the 23rd.

I just realised how loving long that'll be. While you nerds are watching and making GBS threads about the film I'll be rewatching the OT.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I should have played Anakin why didn't George ask me?

Holy gently caress Jake Lloyd's older than me.

Cnut the Great posted:

Chances are he'd been dragged to so many acting classes and auditions by his parents that he didn't even know how to act like an actual kid anymore.

That's a lot to put on a child based on 4 seconds of video footage.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jerkface posted:

no one wants to watch an actual child in a movie.

Nah. A naturalistic child could be great in a movie if handled properly.

There's a fine line between annoying and childlike. Jake Lloyd never really crosses it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Darko posted:

The idea of starting with the "pure innocence" of a child is great. It assumes that it heightens empathy and connection and makes the audience struggle harder while watching someone grow up into the dictator of the galaxy. The prequels are completely full of good ideas like this.

The execution of all these ideas is what causes the...varied...reactions to them.

Solution:

Episode 1 Anakin is a child, Obi Wan befriends him.

Episode 2 Anakin is 15-16, he's still cool with Obi Wan and everything's good, and an exciting plot is happening and we see the two characters bond a lot. Maybe the film ends with some event that causes a rift between them.

Episode 3 Anakin is 20 and starting to develop some legit grievances. Then spend a full 2 hours turning him (rather than the 25 minutes we got in RotS).

Or make Anakin older from the start (ie 30 or so) and have at least all of Episode 1 involve him as a fully fledged Jedi who helps out with whatever the plot is. Then have Episode 3 be 99% about the Empire's rise, and Anakin's turn is a small piece of that puzzle.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

jivjov posted:

The general movie going audience does seem to overwhelmingly prefer the OT

You're not in a general movie going audience.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

As I cannot watch the stupid new film, I watched The New Hopes.

It's a really good film I liked it there's a lot of shooting it's really loud.

The line about Owen not wanting Anakin to not get involved with the Clone Wars and Beru saying that Luke is like his father make no sense in retrospect. 0/10

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

thrawn527 posted:

Sure hope anyone who cares saw my post and turned off avatars.

Seriously, thank you man.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I can kind of understand clapping over the credits, but if you clap or cheer during the actual film you need to get the gently caress out of the room and think about what you've done.

I've paid loving money to sit here.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ImpAtom posted:

So have they.

And I'm respectfully not screaming at the top of my voice every time I'm excited, scared, amused, happy or sad.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yo is there any particularly killer track on the OST that I should check out before seeing the movie? The equivalent of Duel of the Fates or that love song or anything?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lotta black text in this thread.

In 2015 would Luke have been court marshalled for turning off his targeting computer and recklessly endangering the success of the mission? From the rebellion's perspective he was just showing off.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Man, I just watched Empire for the first time in like 10 years, and it really does blow every single other film in the series out of the water. It's by far the best looking of the films (it looks like the only one that had a real budget outside of the prequels) and everything from the proto-Danny Elfman sounding main theme to the actually good script to the incredible lighting just feels so different to everything that the series was bogged down by afterwards. It's the only one that feels like a hugely cinematic blockbuster movie. I've always ranked ANH higher in my brain but nah, this is the poo poo.

Imagine if this style was the direction the series went in. How loving good would that have been?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Seeing it a week after release and all the negative nancies on the internet really tempered my expectations, but nah that was a drat great movie. Loved it.

Finn and Rey are easily up there with the best characters and performances of the whole series, and I was a bit worried about Kylo Ren but he was way more interesting and weighty than I expected.

Disney I hereby give you permission to pump these films/spin offs/toys/theme park rides as much as you want.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Krowley posted:

Lots of star wars heroes aren't force sensitive (which as I understand means 'can manipulate the force'), some of them are just regular badasses

Yeah discounting the prequels and EU I can't think of many characters at all that are actually shown to be force sensitive. We barely even see Leia use it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

computer parts posted:

So I have one theory as to Rey's parentage other than the obvious one foreshadowed by the movie:

So what we know is that Luke trained a bunch of Jedi, one of them (Kylo) fell, and either killed or turned the others. This forced Luke into hiding. The timeline's not really right for Rey to be one of those apprentices, but consider this:

-Luke takes apprentices of all ages (makes sense, since he only became a Jedi when he was like 20)

- One of these apprentices has a child (again, not too controversial since Luke's not all about rejecting family relations)

- Then when Kylo does his thing, this child gets spirited away

While this wouldn't make Rey his literal daughter, thematically she definitely fits the same mold (just like how Obi-Wan was thematically Luke's father in ANH).

The only issue I have is that I don't know each character's exact ages.

Huh, I never really though about what happened to Luke's other trainees. Surely if Kylo turned them we'd have seen them with the First Order at some point?

Maybe they each have their own little Irish island to stand on.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

thrawn527 posted:

Snoke does mention Kylo's The Knights of Ren, so Kylo has some other group out there, and I feel we're supposed to assume they're Force users as well. We just don't see them in this movie.

Ah fair enough.

Does anyone know who played the Scottish smuggler that confronted Han? I didn't catch the character's name and I can't find him on IMDB. I felt like I recognised him from somewhere though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

He has spooky powers, kills a beloved main character, is clearly mentally unstable and commands a large army. Does that not read as threatening to you?

Things don't need human competence or even sentience to be threatening. Tornadoes are threatening. Giant gorillas are threatening.

Agreed. Kylo is a threat because he's a hosed up idiot who just killed his best, last chance at going back to the life he misses. Being good at his job has nothing to do with it. You think Snoke keeps him employed for his effective leadership or command skills?

This arguing about who the more good baddie is is depressing. Good, interesting movie villains are very rarely the ones that are the best at their jobs.

Also I really wish they hadn't called the villain Snoke. Just call him Supreme Leader for the time being and keep the silly name in the novels, Sheev style.

stev fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 23, 2015

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MisterBibs posted:

Have him lead the attack in the beginning, pull the BB8 data from Poe's brain on the planet, remove his hissy fits, remove the scene where he's whining to Valders mask, not be force-clowned by someone untrained, kill someone in ightsaber combat when his opponents are untrained.

It'd be a start, at least.

So basically take out all the parts that made the character interesting and something more than 'scary masked man'?

Yeah ok.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MisterBibs posted:

Things that prevent the movie's core Bad Guy from being anything approaching dangerous are not interesting or engaging.
So if Darth Vader didn't give a gently caress about Luke and concentrated all of his focus on the rebellion (as he should have), he'd have been a better character? And if Palpatine hadn't arrogantly assumed that both Luke and Vader would do exactly as he predicted (leaving himself blind to what would kill him) he'd have been more interesting?

This is stupid. You're stupid.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MisterBibs posted:

Then have him be the apprentice to an Actually Threatening Bad Guy who gets offed, whose death pushes him to be that Bad Guy.

I want a Sith Lord as my bad guy in Star Wars, not a wishy washy flunky.

Didn't you see the giant monster in the chair?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ImpAtom posted:

I like how Mr. Bibs solution is Darth fuckin' Maul because that was such a great character.

Reminder: A lot of people think Dark Maul is a great character, and that the prequels would have been amazing if he'd lived through them.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MisterBibs posted:

Darth Maul was more threatening than Kylo Ren. Sure, his character was as deep as The Shape Michael Myers, but he didn't have to be anything but a clear and present danger to Our Heroes to work.

Holy loving poo poo, dude. Stop.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Darth Maul, Kylo Ren, and Darth Vader are all equally good characters. Kylo simply gets the most complex backstory.

We shouldn't confuse complexity with nuance.

I really don't want you to explain, but I'm going to ask you to explain anyway.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

turtlecrunch posted:

Well, he also thinks he's talking to his ghost so that's something on the side of "he doesn't want to be Vader". He says he wants to finish what Vader started, presumably wiping out all the Jedi (aka Luke) or converting Luke to the Dark Side? I wouldn't be surprised if he sort of ignores the part where Vader killed his own master to save someone he loves, or basically sees that as a failing of Vader he wants to correct.

Maybe he's more attached to whatever he thinks Vader's ultimate plan was and he thinks Vader is speaking to him and guiding him through the plan, rather than simply liking Vader.

Unless by 'finish what he started' he means destroying the Sith and he's actually on a covert mission to kill Snoke and he had to kill Han to keep up the pretence and get closer to him.

He is the Snape of Star Wars I have decided.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MisterBibs posted:

Contrast with a double lightsaber, which looks more threatening than a normal saber

Not really. It looks like a lit up prop for a kung fu movie.

Kylo's lightsabre might be poo poo, but it looks like a huge, devastating claymore.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MisterBibs posted:

Darth Vader doesn't lose his threat when he walks on screen. It increases. Kylo's drops.

Right, you haven't seen ESB or RotJ. I get it now.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Icon-Cat posted:

:goonsay: Actually, I was scared of Darth Vader when I was eight years old, soooooo

Man that rancor scared the poo poo out of me. That is a U rated movie.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Dexter Jettster is hugely controversial. Darth Maul has fascinated people for years.

Having bad things in a movie does not make the movie interesting stop this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MisterBibs posted:

You are aware that there's a side in this discussion trying to paint Kylo as threatening? "Actually Kylo Is Threatening" is on par with "Actually It's About Ethics In X", as far as supportable theses are concerned.

Threatening in a way that you don't believe to be threatening because you've never been exposed to fiction or the real world.

• Locked thread