Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

This is what made the prequels awesome as a kid. They even made action figures that allowed you to cut body parts off of. Like Jango Fett, with decapitation action, or Anakin Skywalker, with alternate burned, dismembered body action. Heck, even Count Dooku from ROTS made it so that you could easily remove his arms, and head just like in the film!

I remember I had a Tusken Raider toy with magnetic decapitation action! And I think there was an Anakin with a magnetic hand that you could take off too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

They use remote control sometimes but he'll be the actor when R2 is walking around on two legs.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I would characterise the Kurdistan Worker's party, as very good

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Cnut the Great posted:

I agree. It's a decent story hook. But if they do end up actually going the route of "The Jedi really are bad on a fundamental level and need to go away" then that would be a pretty awful betrayal of what the series stands for.

And I still find the fundamental concept behind the new trilogy--that the galaxy is in disarray again essentially because the heroes of the OT hosed up in similar ways to their counterparts in the PT--to be incredibly undermining to the story of the original six, which was a two-part saga about children learning from the mistakes of the previous generation and thereby redeeming their parents.

I disagree - if anything I think that "the Jedi are bad" could be done in way consistent with the previous six movies, as long as it doesn't act like the Sith are misunderstood or some poo poo. There's enough in the prequels to support the idea that an institutional Jedi Order is a bad idea, and it's only outwith that order that Obi-Wan, Yoda, Anakin and Luke succeed.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Cnut the Great posted:

An institutional Jedi Order isn't any more of a bad idea than an institutional democracy. The point of the prequels is that institutions inevitably ossify and become corrupted over time and must periodically go through a process of destruction and renewal. That doesn't mean the Jedi fundamentally shouldn't exist as an institution. Institutions can have their downsides, but there's a reason why they spring up, and it's because they serve a valuable purpose. There's utility in bringing individuals together within an organized structure with standards and guidelines directed towards a unified goal. There's also utility in encouraging individuality and the idea of being willing to challenge institutions when they start to lose their way. I don't know why the choice always has to be between total anarchy and total authoritarianism.

Star Wars isn't against organized religion. It's against the bad parts of organized religion.

I feel like an interpretation of Star Wars that is both against liberal democracy and the Jedi Order isn't too far fetched.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah. GOOD: The Force surrounds us all, binds us together. BAD: You're forbidden to marry and have children.

I don't see why you'd need organised religion for that first one.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Taintrunner posted:

The Jedi robes are clearly the same visual style to what Ben is wearing. Anakin starts wearing dark robes in 3 because teen angst. None of the Stormtroopers recognize what are clearly Jedi robes. Even if the old clones died, the new ones would have "Hey! This guy's wearing Jedi robes!" programmed in their head.

Stormtroopers aren't clones and the Jedi have been all but dead for 18 years by the time of A New Hope.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I love that Darth Maul bit.

"Sector is clear."
*Darth Maul immediately kills everyone else*
"Not clear, not clear!"

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The original Battlefront had a map set in the grassy plains of Naboo and they solved it by having wrecked statues and stuff scattered around. The first mission of that game where you got to play as a regular Battle Droid instead of a Super was so good and I'm already looking forward to playing Battlefront 2 and leaving whenever it's not a prequel era match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Yaws posted:

Do the prequel Battlefront maps look as bad as the prequels themselves?

Given that the prequels look very good, and that the original Battlefront is a video game from 2004 and the last prequel was released in 2005, no, the game looks a lot worse than the films.

• Locked thread