Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I personally enjoy the first six Star Wars movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Jack Gladney posted:

Their hospitality will be repaid by endless internet bitching.

Begun, the flame wars have.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

nerdbot posted:

There's a billion "what if Darth Maul survived" hot takes in the EU but none about what if Mace Windu survived. THAT'S the poo poo I wanna see. Give me clueless Sam Jackson as a Jedi Hobo.

I could imagine like a pseudo-noir story of an amnesiac Windu running around, fighting dudes and having vague flashbacks he doesn't understand about being in the Jedi.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Was the soup good? I liked tomato soup as a child but haven't had any in years.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

For me, Abram's influences just make me think of how he's just a watered down version of the people he's emulating. He gets the praise of someone like Spielberg in their prime, but without the sheer talent to match.

He's like the blockbuster version of Paul Thomas Anderson.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I hope somebody in that theater with you has never seen a Star Wars movie before, jiv.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Star Wars VII turned out to be pretty good, though I have to wonder if anyone will actually care about it as a movie in five years, and not just for how it sets up the rest of the sequels.

Rirse posted:

I watched it at the legit IMAX at the Indiana State Museum last night. And it's BEAUTIFUL to watch on it. It so weird how close the film is to you when watching it like that.

I saw Interstellar there last year. It's pretty cool- though I when I first went to see it I didn't own a car and had to walk about a mile and a half to get there in the cold at night, only to find out they were sold out of tickets.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

jivjov posted:

Why are slurs necessary to you?

Fight the good fight, jivjov.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's a wonder nobody thought to put Oscar Isaac in a dashing action role before. He's seriously too good at it.

He was also a pretty good shot in Show Me a Hero too.

i'm sorry

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Chieves posted:

There should have been an extended 20 minute scene where Kylo Ren executes civilians one by one with Mel Gibson-style dedication to violence and gore. Otherwise the viewer has no way of knowing.

It worked in Bone Tomahawk!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So I got one of those new EU books for Christmas, Lost Stars, and it's actually not completely terrible for a silly YA book?

Help me, I think I'm being corrupted.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Krowley posted:

He's clearly deader than Bobby Fetts but I like how they're keeping open the possibility for future appearances in lovely novels or whatever

Return of FN-1337: The Revengening

He could be like a bounty hunter or something, except he exclusively goes after TTRRRAAAAIIIITTTOOOOORRRRRRSSSSS!

As his spin off novels go on, his justifications become more and more flimsy. "That janitor didn't sanitize the bathroom on the Starkiller properly! The toilets literally weren't shining! He's a traitor and deserves to die!"

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

FWIW Luke is also shown to be relatively privileged in ANH. We're first introduced to him in the movie assisting in the purchase of slaves for goodness sake. Poor people can't afford them.

Like obviously people like Jabba have it better than Luke, but of course his perspective of his world is different than someone like Rey, who is of a lower class than Luke was.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Bongo Bill posted:

Many characters in works of fiction that contain robots do not consider robots to be people, on the basis that they are machines and machines are not people. This is most typically a metaphor for the way that people in reality often do not consider certain people to be people, or do not treat them as such, but instead treat them the way they also treat machines. Star Wars belongs to this tradition.

100% agreement on this.

Jiv, if the droids aren't supposed to be depicted as sentient people, what do you then make of the scene in ANH where Luke and Owen (Remember this scene is also vitally the one that introduces us to the character of Luke) purchase droids being done in exactly the same way as slave auction scenes from other movies are done, like 12 Years a Slave? Why would Lucas even have that bit in the movie?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

precision posted:

The newest run of Star Wars LEGOs are absolutely fantastic. I say this because one of the big expensive ones comes with a literal New Boba Fett that is a woman with purple hair named Sabine Wrex. And now I'm just like, can't she somehow be in the next movie instead of Phasma? Please?

Why the hell wouldn't you want Gwendoline Christie in a movie?

What is wrong with you?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The helicopter shot is the Force, engulfing around both characters having finally united them.

Or at least something like that would be my best guess.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Soggy Cereal posted:

I had no idea what "film reading" was before I started paying attention to his posts. I'm still not sure that it's actually a thing that people other than Zizek do, but I like it.

Dawg, Zizek is just a tiny part of the field(s) of film criticism, theory, and history. Film analysis and "reading" is by no means limited to him, nor is it something he invented or even particularly innovated.

If you're really interested in this subject, you should consider spreading out beyond from what you read on Something Awful.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Someone had done a post a while back on Intro to Film Criticism books a while back, but I think you may need archives at this point.

The Bordwell/Thompson Film Art: An Introduction textbook went a long way for me. Newer editions are a bit expensive, but older copies are cheaper and just as informative.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I do not actually exist.

For someone that doesn't exist you sure write a lot of words.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

GonSmithe posted:

You're arguing about giant lizards and robots Jesus Christ people.

It's more an argument over approaches to film criticism, just with Star Wars as the key textual example.

Also giant lizards and robots own.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

All of you are being idiots. The coolest scenes are on Hoth- why the hell else would everyone be wearing such heavy coats?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

We'll probably get Death Starkiller II in Ep. IX, but like ironically or something since Trevorow directing it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Frackie Robinson posted:

Uhh hello, it's called the Sun Crusher.

I legit like Sun Crusher as a name, no matter how cheesy it may be.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Whoever said midichlorians were just like Power Levels in DBZ was spot-on. Only the bad guys ever relied on those numbers.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I liked a lot of the background music RLM used. Anyone have a list of the tracks?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Cnut the Great posted:

The best thing about Dex's Diner is the music playing in the background:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpecPKuUYnE

It's like David Lynch reinterpreted the Seinfeld theme.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN74bOubUug

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tots posted:

Is there a goon hive mind agreed upon watch order for the movies?

Order of release is always the correct answer to these questions. Anyone that says anything else is a liar trying to deceive you from being able to form your own opinions and thoughts. Do not trust them.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Are we really saying the guy that made THX 1138 isn't subversive?

Obviously not every element of all his movies is going to be, but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater here.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

Finn isn't Force Sensitive: he's a Newtype. He'll get a Gundam next movie.

Nah dude, Poe is the Newtype here.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think the problem might be that you're paying attention to YouTubers and gaming journalists.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Noam Chomsky posted:

True. I can't quite figure out how folks who play games for a living have such bad taste in games and are generally bad at games.

As far as taste goes, I think a large part of the problem has been that a lot of video game people (Heavy gamers, critics, developers etc.) just don't have much of a frame of reference for anything outside of video games. Sometimes it feels extremely insular to me.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

This comes up a lot in these discussions, but Shattered Glass has a quite a good performance from Hayden as well.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Waffles Inc. posted:

It's because it's not Hayden's acting people seem to have an issue with, it's that his purposeful performance wasn't what people wanted Vader to be like, and for that reason they think he was bad

It's a huge shame that he gets poo poo on for his performance because it's interesting and good

I think this comes up a lot with the PT- people criticizing the films for what they aren't trying to do instead of for what they are trying to do.

The detractors here are a little better about this than most other places at least.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Is there anything actually left to talk about in The Force Awakens? I feel like all of the major points have been hit already.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Phylodox posted:

So far the only thing I've taken away from this thread is that I should see Creed.

Yeah Creed owns and does the soft reboot idea way better than Star Wars VII does. That being said I do like Star Wars VII but not as much as Hateful Eight.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah, It's not, no. I just keep hoping to read something cool from someone smarter than me about the half of Star Wars I enjoy. Oh well.

Read this book and write a report on it for us.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-BFI-Film-Classics/dp/1844572773

There's your OT stuff. BFI books are usually interesting.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Jurassic Park is legitimately one of the best films ever made, or at the very least Spielberg's very best. I will not permit any bashing on it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

SHISHKABOB posted:

It's kind of weird that obi wan went to live near anakin's son on the planet where the two met. The way luke says old Ben kenobi makes sound like he's been there a while.

Also what is that movie that episode 4 draws from? It had the two peasant guys caught up in a big war. Looking at c3po and r2d2 in light of that perspective really changed the way I saw the movies. Basically look at them like they're the protagonists. Then ideas like class oppression don't seem as crazy.

No one would ever doubt that those two are characters just as much or more than the humans. They've probably got more characterization than half the cast combined. But they're droids? The cantina guy who denies them entrance, the way c3po gets hosed up in empire by the little aliens who are reminiscent of the jawas, c3po gets a "chain" around him on jabba's ship like leia. But the chain is invisible to our eyes!

Luke's first scene in Star Wars involves purchasing R2D2 and C3PO.

The entire scene is portrayed as a slave auction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

SHISHKABOB posted:

When I saw the film as a child, there was nothing wrong with that scene in my mind. The cool little aliens were selling the silly robots to the main character. They're robots, they're meant to be bought and sold.

That's what I thought too as a child. This also how white American Southerners thought about black people in 1820.

• Locked thread