Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

starry skies above posted:

The movie will be not good enough to love but not bad enough to hate either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015
As someone who didn't bother to do any of the apparently required reading before coming to class, why is there a Republic and a Resistance?

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Hakkesshu posted:

The imperial remnant still have a standing army and are evidently raiding planets for more recruits and resources. Seems logical enough to me that you wouldn't be able to just wipe them out within 30 years. I think the terminology is the real issue here, introducing the word "resistance" just makes it more confusing

No, I mean why is there a Republic, a Resistance, and a First Order? Like, when all the Republic planets get Alderaan'd at the same time, why is there still a Resistance that's made up of all the old Rebellion generals? They even say, "drat, I wish we had the Republic fleet to help us out with destroying this new Death Star."

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Eiba posted:

Best I can figure the Republic is the legitimate government formed by the Rebels after the Empire fell. At some point they must have signed a peace treaty or something with the Imperial remnants calling themselves the First Order. I'd guess they don't want to militarize or something and they're shying away from a direct war in the name of peace (they allow chaos, is what Hux says, I think), but still the First Order is pretty evil and so they're funding a group of deniable non-Republic-afiliated people to fight them- the Resistance.

But there's a line about how the Resistance wishes they had the Republic fleet that was just blown up by the First Order...

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it’s a bit sad that Star Wars has gone from an exploration of adventure, mysticism and wonder, to an exploration of… Star Wars.

Best summary of The Force Awakens I've read.

• Locked thread