Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
The movie will be not good enough to love but not bad enough to hate either.

I'm secretly hoping it dissapoints so people complain about it for years afterwards in an entertaining fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot

As a cinema lover, I will be all too glad to say I was wrong about this film being a "meh" if it is indeed a good movie, but these reactions seem guarded to me.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot

NeuroticErotica posted:

So... do you remember when SUPER 8 came out and everybody said it was the best of the Spielbergian rip-offs?

Can you remember anything from that movie?

This movie is even more JJ Abrams than that.

Haha.

This is why J.J is so infuriating:

He is just a bit short of being godawful enough to have the masses turn against him for being such a forgettable and boring film maker who is sucking a lot of oxygen out of Hollywood that could be going towards more capable people.

Just keep this in mind ya'll while you're reading these responses:

http://www.gamesradar.com/star-wars-episode-1-phantom-menace-reviews/

starry skies above fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Dec 16, 2015

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
Star Trek Into Darkness, now widely derided as a bad movie, also got great reviews.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_trek_into_darkness/

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
Looking at the tomatometer, it looks all the critics are saying "Yea, it's pretty good..."

They're not claiming to have been awed.

Star Trek Into Darkness has a very high critical approval percentage as well and now that movie is derided.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot

Yes. You see more derision thrown its way than admiration.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot

morestuff posted:

If you're unwilling to accept anything but complete and total satisfaction you're setting yourself for disappointment

Mad Max: Fury Road gave me complete and total satisfaction.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot

iSheep posted:

And it's a good fun movie?

Then the new Star Wars movie is a "good fun movie" by that same metric, I suppose. Sigh.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot

Josh Lyman posted:

Yes. With an empty antagonist.

It's a movie that masks its aggressive stupidity with panache and momentum.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot

OldTennisCourt posted:

Your arguments are really weird. You think the new movie is going to be derided like the last Star Trek movie....because lots of people like it now? Maybe just see it and stop having this weird existential crisis over it?

I'm well aware I need to gently caress out of this thread, but my argument isn't weird: Abrams keeps making movies that are safe, passable and reliant on tropes established by other directors (Spielberg) or the audience's familiarity with the franchise (Star Trek, Star Wars, Mission Impossible) without showing the sort of creativity or storytelling chops that the people who established those franchises initially showed. He keeps aping Spielberg or retreading familiar ground (Wrath of Khan in ST: ID) because he can't do otherwise...he's too limited artistically, and yes it bothers me on a visceral level that this mediocre person's work keeps getting a pass from critics.

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot
I'll withhold judgement on TFA as well and try to talk myself down from hate-watching it. No film can survive such a hostile viewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starry skies above
Aug 23, 2015

by zen death robot

El Chingon posted:

Just came back from the midnight screening. The movie is good, as long as you don't think too much about it.

That's a damning criticism.

When will people turn against J.J Abrams and his endless stream of mediocre tripe?

• Locked thread