Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

teagone posted:

I have successfully managed to not see any The Force Awakens related footage other than the 3 official trailers, and 1 Japanese international trailer. My first showing is going to be this upcoming Thursday night at 10:15PM. Bookmarking this thread ahead of time so that I can immediately :gizz: on here the moment I walk out of the theater.

ive done the opposite, as i have now just watched every trailer & tv spot in order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
no one wants to watch an actual child in a movie. They want to watch a movie child, who is just precocious enough. God Lloyd was poo poo. Shoulda made anakin a teen.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
the execution of the prequels? I'm for it

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
The reviews all seem to say one positive thing which is what this movie needed: the new characters are good. I dont care if the plot is rehashy of the OT, the new characters need to be able to stand on their own and if they are excellent characters then I cant wait to see where they go after this movie.

the prequels had poo poo characters.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Mitchicon posted:

I found Finn to be kind of annoying. The dude was supposedly trained from birth to be a soldier, yet he acts like he's completely lost and whiny all the time.

He is a space janitor who fails his first combat deployment, never fires at a shot, and is scarred by the death of presumably one of his fellow recruits who leaves a lasting mark on his helmet. He was trained at birth to be a stormtrooper, but he is actually a hero, and so rejects his upbringing and the order of just having to do what hes told (shoot civilians in cold blood) to instead fly by the seat of his pants and save the day.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

teagone posted:

When Poe and Finn find out one other is alive after their TIE fighter crash, that was the bro-est loving moment and I loved every second of it. "That's my jacket" Finn starts to take it off "No, no keep it. It suits you." loving :allears: If I had one complaint about TFA, it's that I wanted to see way, way more of Poe and Finn together.

my dream open for Episode 8 is: Finn & Poe on a daring adventure, quipping & being bros & doing something that shows the first order is still a threat but the resistance is not sitting on their laurels. Poe can also console Finn on Rey leaving him behind. And BB-8 will be rolling around like a ball droid.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Carrier posted:

Am I the only one that thought Daisy Ridley was really poor? Maybe it was just bad directing, but all she ever seemed to do was stare blankly at things and her delivery of a lot of her lines seemed really wooden. Also, her London drama school accent seemed completely out of place in the universe, idk. By the end of the film I found her really annoying. Thought Boyega was great though, as were most of the cast, and I really liked Kylo Ren as a character. The plot pacing was pretty bad in places but the set pieces and the visuals were incredible. A film of contrasts then. Overall I did really enjoy it though, it really captured that Star Wars feel, I just feel it could have been a bit tighter.

yea bud I think you may be. She had the most expressive (but not bombastic) facial work of maybe anyone in the movie. I thought she killed it. Driver, Boyega, and Ridley were all great. Isaac was good too but he didn't really have much to do, he just had to be charming, but he sold the good guy thing.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Vishass posted:

I assume you could hand wave it as a safety feature of hyperspace drives that Han removed or "who gives a poo poo" since space magic is real

This isnt a handwave at all, its a stated feature of hyperdrives (in the EU) which is why the concept works. Its not like naturally going past a gravity well is going to drop you out, because the whole point of it is that you can accidentally paste yourself at lightspeed going into a mass like that.

im sure hans illegally modified freighter can do poo poo like 'ignore proximity warnings' and 'manually override lightspeed procedures'.

They did bypass the compressor of course.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
i remember when rey killed kylo ren with her blaster pistol the first time they met, was insane how did she get to be so good with a blaster pistol. way too op op

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I like the interpretations of the force with karma & chakra, except neither of those are little space bugs that live in your blood. Your chakra nodes do correspond to physical parts of your body, but there is not actually a physical presence there, its more about how your energy flows and poo poo through your body. Its not like they think, when massaging or pressuring some node or putting magnets on it, that an organ is being manipulated.

I would prefer it if it were more like chakra, and the force simply 'flows through' people better, ya know?

Why does Qui-gon use some sort of sensor to be like 'Wow you're crawling with space bugs' when he, as a jedi master, could have meditated on it and seen his aura. Or simply, upon seeing Anakin, being like 'Woah I need to take a knee, this kids got tons of force flowing all throughout his nodes, jesus christ'

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I didnt like Chewbacca personally assisting Yoda, one of the greatest jedi masters ever, fight in the giant jedi battles of the clone wars, because it undermines Han Solo's disbelief in the force in the OT. His 1st mate and only friend literally fought right next to a super jedi.

I must now assume that Han does not actually understand Chewie because then it makes more sense to me

Han: Pfft Jedi? the force? aint nothin like a good blaster at your side
Chewie: Rarrarahrahrararar hrarr (actually the force is real and i once helped Yoda, a jedi master, escape from the destruction of the Jedi)
Han: Yea we do gotta work on those power couplings, buddy

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Cnut the Great posted:

He should try being one of those celebrities who appears in commercials trying to push reverse mortgages on seniors. Put his fame to work for him.

If you listen to space XM radio while cruising the hyperspace lanes, Han Solo tries to sell you cash for gold and an imperial tax service that works for you, the space trucker

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
In the original treatment by Lucas Rey was 12 years old and Finn was aged up to around 30 and their relationship was far more romantic.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

jivjov posted:

Luke never wore an X-Wing helmet with a Yellow alliance symbol on it; so it can't have been one of his (at least not one we've seen on-screen before)

I really hope we get a movie that explains how she got that helmet...

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

computer parts posted:

I'm pretty sure "Magical Negro Chinaman" counts as offensive cultural signifiers.

Maz Kanata is voiced beautifully by Lupita Nyong'o, has some basic spacified culture dress (her glasses/hat combination that looks like a rasta hat, clothing style, the necklace), and looks like a 1000 year old space grandma. She owns. If you can't have a 1000 year old wizened looking old lady in a film because it conjures up comparisons to actual racist caricatures then you basically agree that no character can be portrayed on screen ever. Her bar is closer to Caribbean themed than chinese, but because its not full of racist rear end Toydarians and Neymoidians it manages to just be a cool space culture thing.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
dexters diner is the most egregious thing in the prequels. My problem with it is not that a diner exists in star wars, but that it was realized as an Earth 50s diner including an alien wearing strangely earth like clothing and robots modeled after 50s diner waitresses. Instead of being a diner, but making sense in the star wars universe (like how Maz's watering hole & the mos eisley cantina look like plausible bars for their environs) this loving 50s diner looks like someone took a johnny rockets & put a stupid looking CGI alien in it. Like there are no robots in the OT that are so clearly modelled after a very earth like concept like a 50s diner waitress robot.

Obi-wan meeting an old friend whos an alien, sure. Alien wears apron & wife beater despite having 4 arms and being a weird frog guy? gently caress off.

Edit: Theres a very specific alien that walks in and out of dexters diner in the background that shows up a lot in the prequels, and he sucks. He sucks a big fat one compared to Maz, fat guy with girlfriend, insect trio, and the corsair & his pegleg partner he lovingly walks out to their ship

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Star Wars has always had throwbacks to things Lucas likes. The diner scene was just a little more on the nose than the other references. I could see how people might find it a bit jarring though.

Throwbacks, references, of course. Is anything as blatant as a literal 50s diner waitress robot that even talks like a 50s diner waitress? In the OT? God that loving diner just gets my goat every time. I honestly dont think theres anything like it in the OT, but I am sure some enterprising PT defender will bring something up (which is ok, I enjoy all the debates!)

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

When Finn leaves with the red guy, what sort of crew is he joining? Red dude looks like a sentai character or something? Weak sauce.

Sentai guy is lovingly helping his disabled buddy to their ship, has a cool costume with a hat helmet that reminds me of a musketeer. Its a pretty evocative design and is just as visually distinct & imagination fueling as any OT / PT design. Think you're being unfair to that dude. Considering you just gushed about a little bat gremlin.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
My argument against Dexter's Diner cannot be undone by something like "Dusting Crops" or a vulture, because as I have said I have no issue with the idea of diners in star wars. It is the presentation of them that is at question. Had Luke got in a literal crop duster, and flown off back to home, like a blatant reference to Independence Day, I would probably be annoyed by it. That so far this is the only thing from the OT which anyone seems to think compares to Dexter's Diner makes me feel like my argument against space johnny rockets is pretty strong.

Edit: Dexter is not even an ex-con. His diner is in the sahdow of the jedi temple, its on the surface, the property values must be enormous. Its made of the same chrome as Amidala's ship. He is no more an ex-con than Obi-wan is a penniless monk. They are both pretending.

greatn posted:

Why didn't all the fighters just hyperspace through the shields? I mean, they have astromechs.

I would think because they didnt want to risk all of their pilots/ships by having them crash into the mountain

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Nessus posted:

A diner is the exact kind of place where a cop would go, and Obi-Wan is clearly, in Ep II, presented as Jedi Cop.

Get out of here with your anti-diner agenda in the Star Wars thread!

BrianWilly posted:

The real question is why wouldn't there be a diner in Star Wars?

Diners should exist in Star Wars, just not in the form of a space johnny rockets, with a proprietor wearing human clothes from the 50s. Kind of like how Mos Eisley Cantina is not an Amigos at happy hour.

i dont care if george lucas loves 50s diners, he hosed up.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Dex can run his business however he wants.

not if i trick Jar Jar into petitioning the senate for a motion to evict

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Finn & Poe & BB-8 should all have prominent heroic scenes in the next 2 movies where they use the force.

Finn & poe's scene can be a 2-fer where they both use the force to heroically canoodle with each other

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
wat i wanna know is where are all the black market lightsabers

i know the proprietor of a certain space johnny rockets who may have the answer...

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Schwarzwald posted:

This talk about Luke's lightsaber reminded me of something.

Luke lost his father's blue lightsaber at the end of ESB, right? That's why he has to build his own green lightsaber that he uses in RotJ (aside from the thematic reasons, of course).

So exactly which lightsaber does Rey find in Maz's truckstop? It was blue, so it couldn't have been the one Luke built.

drat, will we ever figure out this mystery? I hope they release an separate movie to answer this...

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Tots posted:

Is there a goon hive mind agreed upon watch order for the movies?

is there a agreed upon worst watch order for the movies?

6-2-7-3-5-1-4

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Yaws posted:

I'm probably forgetting something but why is Zam hired in the first place? Why doesn't Jango kill Padme himself? Why is an assassin hiring an assassin?

who hires an assassin droid, who farms it out to 2 centipedes

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Watching the Auralnauts stuff made me go back and check some scenes in the PT. One of the things that bugs me is that because everything is CG & I guess they just told the jedi to 'do whatever and we'll put enemies in post' you get poo poo that looks like this

This plays during a fight scene which is actually pretty good (Obi & Anakin vs Dooku part 2) in a sequence that for the most part is also good. Ewan doesnt even pretend like hes blocking anything and he kind of just...walks into the battle droid and does a half hearted little saber flick. Did we even need this poo poo in this fight? They aren't an impediment and the scene fails to sell any of it so whats the point of having the 2 droids there to begin with.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Elfgames posted:

Ben tells han (and himself) who he is

Han tells Ben who he is as well. "You're my SON."

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
the acting & dialogue at the end of the lightsaber fight is good.

anakin screaming 'I HATE YOU' is definitely not in the top 90% of 'things anakin says in the prequels that is memed on'. I think you're more likely to find it in a TUMBLR-gif-comparison-of-family-members than any kind of 'lol this poo poo' meme factory

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
In case anyone cares about what a Mom thinks about Rey in Star Wars, I took my mom to see it and she said this about the final fight: "Why was Rey even losing at the beginning of the fight? She kicked those guys asses at the beginning of the movie."

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Rey's bread would have been a miniature in the PT...

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I dont care if its miniature, a real thing, or CGI, the biggest thing is that it needs to exist 'in the movie'. Thats my biggest problem with CGI in the PT. I dont think people hate the gorgeous alien landscapes that posters have been so kind as to post screenshots of in these threads. Its when there is something clearly CGI & the real people in the scene clearly don't have a handle on whats happening. I'll give 2 examples since one was just mentioned by Paul Scheer on the Star Wars Minute podcast & 1 I noticed immediately while rewatching a bit of TPM (to see the pod race! woooo!)

1. Jar Jar tries to steal some food from a vendor, that is portrayed as a grotesque looking practical effect, looks fine, even if the food he steals looks pretty bad (it looks like a bad practical effect! oh no!). The thing flies into Sebulba's ramen and Sebulba goes to beat up Jar Jar. Sebulba is full CGI & Jar Jar is full CGI (tho portrayed on set by Ahmed Best?) Despite Best maybe being on a set for this scene doing his acting, literally no one reacts to a loving street fight going down!

Sebulba's table featured 2 human Sebulba'pals, when the weird rubber chicken flies into the soup, some soup splashes on one of them who reacts. The other guy doesnt react. Then Sebulba literally launches himself over the table, knocking poo poo over, and neither guy reacts. Then he tries to beat the poo poo out of Jar Jar and neither of them react, nor any passerbys. Then he goes back to the table, and they still don't react.

Who was directing these 2 people to ignore literally the action & focal points of the scene? Why? Wouldn't they be interested in the fact that their thug friend was about to beat the poo poo out of some weirdass alien they never saw before?

This kind of 'no sell' of the CGI going on in the PT happens too often and makes the film lose the magic that creates good CGI in my opinion.

2. Darth Maul releases a robot to scout out Mos Espa or where ever these guys are. it could be a miniature, it could be CGI, who cares? because no one cares!! in the movie!! This piece of poo poo evil looking robot literally flies right in front of a guy walking and he doesn't startle or change his gait or even look at the evil looking eye-droid thats going around evilly!! No one cares!! I get startled when a loving bee flies within 5 feet of my face while walking and not paying attention, let alone a droid the size of 500 bees!!

So anyways thats my thought on why I think CGI is good when used well and bad when used poorly

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

homullus posted:

So how would you portray these things if you wanted to show that the people in those environments ... don't care?

Maybe the guy walking could look and be like "pfft, bee droid, whatever" and keep walking, or be annoyed he has to change his path, or stop a bit then keep walking. Or the people eating with Sebulba could look at Sebulba and go "wow beating up someone, nice" and go abck to eating, instead of literally doing nothing and acting like these things arent even there (because for them, they arent!)

Like if you think the intent of the Maul droid scene or Sebulba beat up scene is to show that no one cares that this is happening, then I have to take us back to the OT where a similar scene plays out and the movie actually acknowledges that it happens & then shows us that no one cares!

Greedo getting shot & Panda Boba getting his arm cut off are both 'acknowledged' by the crowd but no one gives a poo poo. IT works. No one acknowledges Sebulba or the Droid because they dont exist on the set and I dont think the extras were told what was going on.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Serf posted:

That dude has probably seen roughly a billion droids fly by his face in his life. I also do not react when cars drive down the street in front of me.

Sebulba fight is totally valid though.

do you not react at all when a car almost runs into you? the droid literally flies infront of his face while hes walking.

Waffles Inc. posted:

Look I don't wanna be a dick or anything but if your point is that no one at Sebulba's table reacts that's just not true

When the thing splashes into Sebulba's soup the guy across from him does a "oh what the gently caress" motion after getting splashed, and then the same sort of thing when Sebulba knocks the cups into him jumping over the table

Plus everyone else at the other table is rubbernecking the whole little tiff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmL2vnNsNc

I think guy on the right probably had the best 'reaction' in the scene because he had poo poo thrown on him, but the one who is most prominent in the frame is the guy on the left who doesnt react for poo poo. While Sebulba is beating someone up, theres a guy just drinking a cup of coffee and looking around but he doesnt seem to react to whats actually happening.

I think overall, the scene is poorly directed for the bystanders, and this makes sense because they have no idea whats going on. And ppl who want to defend this can just rationalize it as 'well they've seen this before, so they will act like its sunday brunch and they are drinking coffee'. Well I think that stinks. You can react to a scene in a way that shows your understanding of whats happening while also portraying a 'dont give a poo poo' attitude. The dude who prominently drinks his coffee isnt even looking at the right spot on the ground because it was all added in post.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Serf posted:

Yeah, given the size of the droid and the size of a car, if little flying droids were as commonplace as they seem in the Star Wars universe I imagine I would give No Fucks about one flying right in front of my face. Another day on sandy shithole: the planet.

One day no one will react to these little drones zipping around either. You just get used to poo poo.

im confident that when amazon drones are making pedestrian traffic hell on earth, and people see them every day all the time, that they will still react when one almost flies in their face. Thats nature. Its reaction to stimulus. I would say the baseline reaction in anything is to startle when something flies in your fucken face. Now maybe you're so badass, that something larger than your head and made of metal flying in your face will cause you to simply no-sell it and keep doing exactly what you were doing with no deviation, but that certainly would not be the majority reaction. And making a movie off the 1% hardcore badass who doesnt care about anything as a background extra is dumb.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Serf posted:

:shrug: Cool. I just don't see most people caring too much, and that's why it worked for me.

you realize its not an argument about the droid itself but about something impeding the path of someone walking right? it could be anything, a child, one of those flying wattos, a rock, what matters is something appears suddenly in a pedestrians path and they dont give a poo poo. which doesnt happen IRL

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

homullus posted:

"These beings with alien physiology, explicitly able to do things humans cannot (e.g. Podrace), do not act the way humans do IRL! THIS MOVIE R DUM!"

yea man, PT aliens especially CGI ones are notoriously chill which is why they never interact with their environment or anyone around them. Personally, thats my platonic ideal of an alien!

In real content here is the cool primitive saber concept art from the art book I just got

edit: there is also a storyboard for an alternate opening scene after the crawl that mirrors ANH with a star destroyer appearing overhead, but revealing a gaping wound in its underbelly and then showing that it is being tugged by salvagers, who release it into a planets gravity well where it crashes.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 15, 2016

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Waffles Inc. posted:

Holy poo poo that bottom one is awesome

Is there any lore or fluff about it in the book?

"You can see the little trigger crystal on the far right one, thats the most primitive lightsaber there is. All this aluminum-milled stuff, thats all just for safety and styling"

Thats the accompanying text. The lightsaber concept art was part of their preproduction where they were just 'exploring star wars and its concepts' to get the creative juices flowing.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Proof that TFA uses miniatures, Rey's home:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
drat who is going to win this battle of taking screen caps from the movie to show this droid is very close to this guy

Since you're very good at screencapping CNUT, please gif this entire moment so you can not only see this guy just stroll on through the droids path but also the guy coming around the corner who also just strolls on through.

Lucas filmed a shot of a street, and then added a droid later, and they just flew the droid around all the actual actors and none of them were told a droid was going to be there. It is a nitpick, but its simply an example of the kind of poor CGI-real set integration that goes on in the prequels.

You could look at my previous gif I posted of Obi-wan essentially walking through 2 CGI battle droids for a better example. Or like...any fight of Jedis vs battle droids.

edit: and no the guy moves his head to the left while the droid is still to the right/in front, he doesnt react to the droid at all.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 15, 2016

• Locked thread