Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'd just like to say that the last Star Wars thread made it to 902 pages and at one point I got probated for resurrecting it.

After what happened in the following months/years I feel like this punishment was prophetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If this movie is really good I think it will do what the Phantom Menace was thought would do and that's break the box office record. I hope so because I really dislike Avatar. (Titanic's cool though)

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Is Annakin or Ben the terrorist?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm still at a loss as to why they changed Luke saying "You're lucky you don't taste very good" to Artoo after he gets spit out of the swamp to "You're lucky to get out of there".

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Wow that's nuts. I did see the movie in the theater but I remember looking at the newspaper as a kid (movies were next to the comics in my paper growing up) and seeing Empire starting to fall away from some theaters and begging my parents to take me before it was gone from theaters entirely so I definitely didn't see it with that line. Weird.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Steve2911 posted:

Padme is a racist.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/msnbcs-melissa-harris-perry-star-wars-is-racist-because-darth-vader-is-a-black-guy/

quote:

“I know why I have feelings — good, bad and otherwise — about Star Wars,” Perry explained. “…I spent the whole day talking about the Darth Vader situation.”

“The part where he was totally a black guy, whose name was basically James Earl Jones,” she said. “While he was black he was terrible and bad, awful and used to cut off white men’s hand, and didn’t actually claim his son. But as soon as he claims his son, goes over to the good, takes off his mask and he is white — yes, I have many feelings about that.”

crosspostin.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That seems silly but it is cold for LA and windy as gently caress outside, maybe they felt bad for them.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I hope they brought them all in and then played Attack of the Clones.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

jivjov posted:

Bye thread; gonna go line up at my AMC now and hope they pity me.

EDIT: Imagine being the 101st person in that line

I think you mean first in line for the real showing.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The scathing reviews of Harry Potter books 4-7 on here immediately come to mind.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: WHAT IS THIS loving GARBAGE

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

I have the ultimate, canon, solution:

Another goldmine waiting to happen.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

nerdbot posted:

There's a billion "what if Darth Maul survived" hot takes in the EU but none about what if Mace Windu survived. THAT'S the poo poo I wanna see. Give me clueless Sam Jackson as a Jedi Hobo.

Jedi Caveman Valentine.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Why did I click this???

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Serf posted:

El-P is a rapper/producer

I seriously thought it was El Penis who used to post in the football funhouse. Shows you how hip I am to the rapping children these days.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That shirt rip was so unnecessary. Also i remember there being a really hokey moment when Natalie Portman falls onto the sand out of a ship or something and then gets up and is like I'm okay and runs away for no apparent reason.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

95% tomato meter is great news no matter how you slice it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

Star Trek 09 got 95%.

Excellent news.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Are you flying dangerously close to spoilers with [what was removed from your post]?

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 17, 2015

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

quote:

Confession: When I went to see "The Empire Strikes Back" I found myself glancing at my watch almost as often as I did when I was sitting through a truly terrible movie called "The Island."

The Empire Strikes Back" is not a truly terrible movie. It's a nice movie. It's not, by any means, as nice as "Star Wars." It's not as fresh and funny and surprising and witty, but it is nice and inoffensive and, in a way that no one associated with it need be ashamed of, it's also silly. Attending to it is a lot like reading the middle of a comic book. It is amusing in fitful patches but you're likely to find more beauty, suspense, discipline, craft and art when watching a New York harbor pilot bring the Queen Elizabeth 2 into her Hudson River berth, which is what "The Empire Strikes Back" most reminds me of. It's a big, expensive, time-consuming, essentially mechanical operation.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Han never punched out a 7 foot tall terrifying ferret lady with velociraptor claws and Leia never got her lady parts turned into a waterfall by a lizard-man's overpowering pheromones and Han was never followed into Mos Eisley by a vampire that feeds on "luck"?

:argh:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Some aspects of Dune were done so perfectly that I can't go back to the book anymore. Gurney, for instance. Or the Fremen in general. Some additions were so amazing that it's surprising Herbert didn't think of them, like the heartplugs or the sound weapons. Some additions, like constant voice-over, turning the Guild into floating vaginas or Thufir having to milk a cat are bold and hit or miss. Then some changes, like the entire loving point of the story, are unforgivable.

Why did we go through all this? So Paul could make it rain? So he could bring peace or whatever? Uh no. The point is he saw all future lines of mankind and every one of them ended in extinction, save for the Golden Path. They made the prophecies of the Missionary Protectiva and the false religion of the Fremen that Paul and Leto exploit true things. How can this be? Because he is a god! And now he's gonna MAKE IT RAIN!

Why

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The crushing fear that Brits have of the mere possibility of social awkwardness must be exhausting.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

We made it two days before we got back to discussing the prequels. :D

It never ends.

Oh hey it just occurred to me that if you like this movie you like Star Wars because they biggest complaint is it is too much like the original Star Wars. Here we are in the thread after years:

Star Wars fans like Star Wars.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

At least this will finally be avenged.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I came back to this thread and there were 15 new pages.

I am seeing this today finally and then I guess going back fifty pages to read all the spoil messages but has anybody brought up yet just how bizarre Boyega's legs are?

He has an odd saddlebags thing going on. It's all I can stare at whenever I see him.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I finally saw this today and loved it despite having to see it in 3D on a small screen with the sound turned way too low, making it seem small and all the ships look like toys.

So to sum up this movie ruled and 3D needs to go away forever. I will be seeing it again properly asap.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Steve2911 posted:

Since when has anyone ever seriously used the content of a novelization to better understand a film? At best they're fanfic without the whole 'OC' thing.

Hahaha you must be new to this thread.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Hbomberguy posted:

The Prequels are good and very good.

Let it go. You're never going to convince the 95% of the rest of us that these movies are good. It's been a thousand pages and I've been convinced there were some storylines that were interesting to talk about and some nuances that might have been missed.

But good and very good are not words that appropriately describe the prequels.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Chocolate Teapot posted:

But Yoda doesn't know who those people are, or what they're doing.

I got the feeling Yoda knows all about Luke's friends and the possibility that Luke could save them. All of Luke's visions I feel like Yoda has already seen. "They were in pain." "It is the future you see."

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Lunatic Pathos posted:

The fissure is not a Deus Ex Machina. It is the literal interpretation of the fissure opened between siblings by the younger daring to reject the older's wisdom and her audacity in showing greater prowess than he. He wanted to teach her, master her, and instead she showed that he is inferior. She opened the rift in what he hoped would be their relationship.

Are we just assuming Ren and Rae are siblings now? Have we ruled out cousins at this point?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

jivjov posted:

Ren is 29-30 and Rey is 19 during TFA; so they can't be twins. They could still be brother and sister, but neither Han nor Leia says anything to Rey about being her parents, so I don't think it's likely.

Who said anything about twins?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

jivjov posted:

And, if you read the rest of my post before "calling me out", I go on to talk about non-twin sibling possibility as well.

Easy, tiger.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Late to the party but I thought SMG was the only person who ever thought R2 had the force?

As far as R2 having a mechanical device to detect the force, all you'd have to do is install a modified version of one of these in R2...

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I thought that was a picture of Obie-Wan putting the midichlorine reader in. Whatever, I can't find a picture of his midichlorine detector thing. You know what I'm saying.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I guess my point is, even though an explanation was already posted, that it would take about five minutes of creative writing to put a midichlorine detector in R2 without having to take a blood sample. It was made possible when the Force became science rather than religion.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Or they could not do that, and ignore the horrible "the force is actually a bunch of little creatures that live in your blood" retcon that Lucas crammed into the worst movie into the series.

Please do not mistake my theorizing about Artoo to mean that in anyway I approve of midichlorines. It's the third biggest travesty of the series in my opinion, after Jedi Rocks and Jabba's tail.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Because whether the force sensitives tap into the force by spirit or blood, Droids have neither.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

This thread moves too fast. Anyway I don't know if anyone else has brought this up but,

Has anyone talked about the idea that Kylo Ren is the one that dropped Rey off on Jakku? When that trooper says a girl has joined the group he goes ballistic. I wonder if Rey was among the Jedi Academy that Ren shot up and maybe for some reason Rey as a little girl was special or Ren couldn't bring himself to kill her? He clearly knew who she was.

Also so Kylo Ren's real name is Ben? I realized this on second viewing.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

greatn posted:

Hux is giving got drat speeches to troopers about the resistance right in the movie.

The who?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Doronin posted:

I'd be interested to know how old Rey or Ben actually are. TFA takes place approximately 29 years after Jedi, I think. I would think that given the window of time, Rey and Kylo (yes, Ben was his given name) are probably too close in age for that to be a thing. We know both characters were born after Jedi, and Rey has been on Jakku for a very long time.

I think the timing works out she's been on the planet like 15 years and I think I read that Ren is like 30.

• Locked thread