Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

lelandjs posted:

So uh John Boyega wore a single leather glove on his right hand on the red carpet and went out of his way to show off that fact... Wonder if he's trolling.

Turns out Michael Jackson is getting CGI'd into this movie as Snoke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
Saw the movie yesterday, finally got through catching up in this thread (and the rest of the internet, I was in total blackout mode before seeing it).

The movie RULED. My favorite movie of the year for sure. I can't wait to see it many many more times. Sure there are gripes I have about the plot and the "science" of the movie (Star Wars is technically considered fantasy), but it's all overwhelmed by the fact that the movie was just so loving fun. All of the characters, old and new, were great.

My personal favorite line was C3PO's terrible re-introduction to Han. It was hilarious and really felt endearing and right. Made me feel like hugging a pillow in the theater. That's kinda weird, huh? Well whatever gently caress you I loved it.

edit: I bought the mp3 soundtrack on Amazon. Man is it good. At first, coming out of the movie, I was thinking that there really weren't any new themes that are memorable, but then I realized after thinking about it for a day that all of the memorable themes from the previous Star Wars entries have had anywhere from 16 to 40 years to be listened to over and over. Listening to the soundtrack now, I think Rey's theme and Kylo's theme will stick around well. The music right after the opening theme is particularly powerful.

berserker fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 21, 2015

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

net cafe scandal posted:

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/star-wars-captain-phasma-hot-toys-902582/

Id like to sign up for the 60 dollar a month payment plan, to buy the toy of the dumbass chump General Phasma who was famously thrown in the dumpster, please.

The toy still looks loving sweet

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

net cafe scandal posted:

Buy away, Padawan.

I don't plan to buy it, it's too expensive, but that's how those large format high quality figures usually are. But it still looks sweet, can't deny that.

It's not like it's super expensive because it's Star Wars and they're trying to bilk the public or something, all figures like this are expensive.

edit: as for the Sarlacc burp, burps right after you eat aren't from digestion of that particular meal but from the meal pushing stuff around, forcing gas up, so he's totally not dead you guys, he's gonna make a cameo in Episode VIII and he'll be like 40% digested and all "kill meeeeeee" before exploding like that dude in Robocop.

berserker fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 21, 2015

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

ThePutty posted:

you just hate his changes because you didn't grow up with star wars

I grew up with star wars and the ROTJ "nooooooooo" is loving terrible

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

euphronius posted:

Tfa is so different from Lucas Star Wars I don't know if you'll ever get a consistent correlation.

Gotta love how many people react with "it's a copy of A New Hope!!" and then you get this

But then again euphronius's opinions on everything have been really pretty crazy in general

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Raxivace posted:

We'll probably get Death Starkiller II in Ep. IX, but like ironically or something since Trevorow directing it.

Super Death Galaxy

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

NecroMonster posted:

I like how Qui-gon, who is a bit of an idiot and less than great person, is the first guy to "discover" force ghosts.

This is just yet another of the stupid loving additions that George never really quite thought out the consequences of. Before this revelation, we all got to enjoy the idea that anyone who is a good person at heart and force sensitive well get to live on in a kind of afterlife, as a part of the force. But no, turns out that for tens of thousands of years all of the Jedi who ever died went to oblivion forever and it was just Qui Gonn who happened to figure out this SUPER IMPORTANT key thing, just in time for Obi Wan to be able to learn it so he can help out Luke 30 years later!

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

computer parts posted:

I take it you're not an atheist.

God is totally dead dude

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

The MSJ posted:

How about hot manga Chewbacca?

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
That trailer was loving badass. Just finished watching it for the 4th time.

If this is what "Star Wars every year" is going to mean, then bring it on, Disney.

My lightsaber is fully extended.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Homework Explainer posted:

have they made a really fun movie i'm not aware of? i recall some soulless husk resembling star wars dropping into theaters last december but i'm not really "plugged in" to the latest releases

I just readjusted my glasses so hard that a sonic boom destroyed my room

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
Someone earlier in the thread was saying they're cautious about liking the soundtrack to a Star Wars movie that isn't by John Williams... I gotta say, the music in this trailer was fantastic. One thing to remember is that John Williams is really a lot more than just a movie soundtrack guy. He is one of the pre-eminent composers of the 20th century (and this one, thus far), and he has a supreme talent for creating lasting themes in his works. The great operas and sonatas that people still attend today are no longer performed by the creator of the work (who in most cases is long dead), but we can still enjoy the great performances and timeless themes. I think using Williams' best beats is going to elevate the soundtrack rather than make it some kind of rehash.

Also, consider something like SWTOR which has a fantastic orchestral soundtrack that isn't made by Williams but still fits extremely well (regardless of how you might feel about SWTOR itself).

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
Rey's theme is awesome, Kylo's theme is awesome, Jedi steps is awesome, that's three brand new themes right there, and great use of the original themes, which makes sense in a movie that is supposedly the "bridge" to a new generation of characters and stories.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Vegetable posted:

I don't even remember any of the new themes from watching the movie. They should have written something massive and iconic to kickstart a new trilogy.

The thing we all seem to forget is that the themes we love from the older movies have anywhere from 15-40 years of us hearing them over and over for them to become "unforgettable". I will admit that after the very first viewing of The Force Awakens, I wasn't humming any of the new tunes, but that's partly because all of the classic themes were still stuck in my mind from all of the reinforcement. After a bunch of additional viewings of the movie and having listened to the soundtrack I can't get some of the new melodies out of my head. They are good.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Yaws posted:

I find them almost unwatchable. They're just so dull.

I watched all 6 movies in a "marathon" before VII came out and it was an insane chore to get through Episode 2. Jesus loving christ.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

euphronius posted:

We are way past the great prequel wars in this thread

Let's move on

But how can we possibly do that when you say that AoTC, one of the most boring and poorly written "blockbuster" movies of all time, is spectacular, interesting, and funny? We try and get out, and then comments like this just pull us right back in

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

computer parts posted:

Only Kylo really does anything interesting and it's basically "gently caress good, I'm pure evil now".

Poe Dameron does take out like 8 tie fighters and 3 stormtroopers within like 15 seconds, the dude is legit awesome and his character arc is "listen, I'm awesome"

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

computer parts posted:

TFA in particular feels intentionally...maybe "unfinished" is too harsh, but it's not really self contained. Even with something like TPM or ESB, you have a concrete arc that accomplishes a lot even though it raises more questions for the future.

Uh did you respond to the right person? You quoted me when I was talking about the soundtracks...

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

I wouldn't worry much... I believe he did a first pass and there has been a ton of rewrites since then.

Way further away from it than that; he wrote the story, not the screenplay.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

hhhat posted:

I have to point out that the soundtracks for the prequels are loving amazing

I also really like Doug chaings art direction. The design work was fantastic.

I absolutely agree with this. "Duel of the Fates" is a true classic.

I have the "Art of" books for all three prequel movies, and they're really great - even though I don't really care for the movies themselves particularly much. But I still own them... Not the Blu-Ray versions though. Only TFA gets that honor so far.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Wild Horses posted:

best prequel though, it's really fun

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

fuckin opinions

TFRazorsaw posted:

Why does SMG keep calling him FN?

Because it's the best kind of trolling pedantry

"his name is actually FN, Finn is just a nickname" *snort*

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
That trailer was loving rad, I am ROCK hard. You guys, I think Luke is going to Bernie Sanders the force to everyone in the galaxy...

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

porfiria posted:

These new Star Wars look boring. I feel like the reasonable expectation for this is, like, Iron Man 3 level. There will be a big twist or something that will make people eat their own eyeballs.

Also, I hadn't really dwelled much on this, but man, one probable weakness of this movie is that Mark Hamill is not the world's greatest actor. He's not terrible or anything and I think he did a pretty good job in the OT, but this part will probably call for a level of complexity that might be beyond him. I mean Carrie Fisher RIP was terrible in TFA.

They should have just recast it. Jeff Bridges, says I.

What the gently caress is this

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

jivjov posted:

Apparently asking to get a jar of sand signed was worth a hearty laugh and a hug. :) that makes me really glad to hear; teen Anakin has made out a lot better than child Anakin.

Holy poo poo today I learned Jake Lloyd is in a psychiatric institution because of schizophrenia :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

Gonz posted:

Per Sony, the Battlefront 2 story mode will be official Star Wars canon. It takes place immediately following ROTJ and you play as an Imperial SpecOps commander. There are missions where you play as Luke Skywalker and Kylo Ren, as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngd2d0wrCj0

loving youtube, I love how right after the amazing Star Wars music it's all SCOOBEH DOOBEH DOO! BOOP BEE BOOP BEE WOO

• Locked thread