Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Steve2911 posted:

Do they bang space hookers then?

The OP of every Star Wars EU megathread since 2004 posted:

Trans-Angeles posted:

Hit it, and quit it. - Jedi Code

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Silver Brushes posted:

Can we say with any certainty that the ghostly screams that start the saber vision/flashback are the younglings in the Council chamber? If so, that's a pretty nice nod to the III and Ben's exposition in IV.
It thought it was pretty clearly Rey's own screams as she was being ditched on Jakku, since it cut right to that when the flashback started and it sounded the same. At no point did I ever get the idea that it was younglings.

Saw it yesterday after lunch and loved it. Still kind of processing, and most of my thoughts have been echoed here already, but I do want to say that I remember after the first trailer dropped I said how pumped I was to see some low-atmosphere starfighter combat for the first time in Star Wars, and boy was I happy with what we got :haw:

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Are we supposed to be concerned with the fate of Captain Phasma? Nobody seems to be really talking about what happened after she unceremoniously disappeared from the movie following her capture and I don't think we're supposed to believe Han or Finn is sadistic enough to actually execute her in a garbage compactor.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Mahoning posted:

It's already been revealed well before the movie was released that that character has a much larger role in the later films.
Oh cool, I hadn't caught this. I really enjoyed Gwendoline Christie's performance even for how minor it was. She really nailed the authoritative voice.

Silver Brushes posted:

Surprisingly low amount of complaints about fan service. I have to give credit to JJ for what may be the most esoteric nod ever:

"Have you seen the new BT-17?"
Holy poo poo. :eyepop: When Rey was standing around the corner and those two troopers were talking amongst themselves I immediately got flashbacks to eavesdropping on stormtroopers in the Jedi Outcast games, but I couldn't understand them in the theater. I had no idea JJ ripped a line right from them (and by proxy from ANH).

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

well why not posted:

It's really weird that 'Force Powers' are categorised so heavily. Force abilities are so, so nebulous in the films, but outside of that it's all Force Push this, Force Pull That, Mind Trick this, Magic Missile That.
One of the previews/commercials before the pre-movie trailers at my theater was something for google.com/starwars where they had the person googling light and dark side Force powers and going through all the different listed powers. It was a little annoying and it was hard to put my finger on why. I guess it was for this very reason.

Wild Horses posted:

I missed variety too. Especially when they went on a real bombing run and forgot to bring iconic fighters like Y-wings, B-wings and so on. Everything can be explained away, but just TIEs vs X-wings was a bit too tidy for me. I did however like the love they gave the TIE during the first escape, you could feel it boosting away, almost making it ...until they crash
This reminds me, can someone who has the visual dictionary or other companion materials explain whether they upgraded TIE Fighters since the fall of the Empire? When Poe was telling Finn about the TIE's weaponry he mentioned missiles and magnetic projectors and that triggered my :spergin: pretty hard since OG TIEs only have laser cannons.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Wandle Cax posted:

That was originally from the first film. (ep IV)
Yeah, Luke's saber from IV is different from Anakin's in III (for reasons never really explained) and the one in TFA looks like Luke's.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

the moose posted:

The light saber looks like the one Luke dropped on Bespin. It also sort of looks like the one Anakin had in episode 3
Yeah I know, it's almost definitely the one from Bespin and hopefully we'll find out how it resurfaced at some point.

teagone posted:

It looks like the one Luke dropped on Bespin and the one Anakin used in Revenge of the Sith because it's the same one, lmao. How can anyone even slightly miss this? Maz Kanata straight up says it was Anakin's lightsaber, passed on to Luke.
Of course they're supposed to be the same. They look slightly (yet noticeably) different, however, and it's never explained. I've brought this up in Star Wars threads before and nobody seems to really care so it's obviously not a big deal even to nerds.

Luke Episode IV:

Anakin Episode III:

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Hahahaha that's amazing. I never even noticed the different numbers of grips, just that the whole middle section or whatever got moved farther away from them in episode III.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Kurzon posted:

Who designs a sword hilt like that anyway? That looks like it would murder your hand in a fight.
Anakin's is actually really comfortable as long as you hold it on the side opposite of that rectangular switch thingie. The Episode II Anakin version is pretty awful though:

edit: I think laser swords are cool

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Augus posted:

That and he actually made effective use of those hilt things everyone was making fun of. That was great to see.
Yes, loving this. Back when people were complaining about them I theorized (spoilered to be safe due to context) that they wouldn't let something like that be a decoration-- they'd either have them used as weapons, block a saber (like the crossguards everybody was assuming they were), or have them get chopped off.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Poe's first lines got some laughs at my showing. It was a nice way to show right away the dialogue in this Star Wars was going to be a little different from in the past. I guess they had some comedy lines between Anakin and Obi-Wan in the very beginning of Episode III but even those weren't delivered quite as snappily.

Hazo fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 24, 2015

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

punchymcpunch posted:

Snoke will obviously have a "sinister English word with the first syllable cut off" name like all the other Siths. Star Wars evil people always have dumb birth names.
I like how this rule sort of works for exactly two Sith names and people are still repeating this meme.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Phylodox posted:

I don't remember back in 1999, were there any background characters in The Phantom Menace that took off in popularity the way that nameless trooper has?
Destroyer droids were pretty popular, according to my 7th grade memory. Keep in mind though there wasn't really anything like Reddit or Imgur to artificially run random poo poo into the ground like this baton trooper meme.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

What he means is that, in every previous Star Wars film, this would be an establishing shot of the major planetary setting (Naboo, Tatooine, Coruscant, Endor, etc.).

Jakku's moon is never visited at any point - and this means Jakku never gets an establishing shot. We only see troop transports flying off into a void.
Empire Strikes Back

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Digiwizzard posted:

The problem is that despite this, his posting remains both truthful and accurate.
In just the last few pages, he has claimed that A) Every movie opens with a pan toward the primary planet setting; and B) General Grievous fights a giant lizard in Episode III.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Not the primary planet setting. To be specific, it is always a shot of a ship approaching a planet where action does take place.

In every previous Star Wars film, this would be an establishing shot of the major planetary setting
It is okay to admit that you are wrong.

Also, General Greivous does fight a giant lizard.
This sounds interesting. Can you link to a clip of this happening? Timestamps would be appreciated but not necessary.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

BrianWilly posted:

He does fight Obi-Wan when Obi-Wan is riding a giant lizard. He never directly attacks the giant defenseless unarmored lizard, but the giant lizard was involved in their fight, so I'd say it counts.
Correct. Obi-Wan rides a giant lizard while pursuing Grievous, who himself is riding an odd sort of motorcycle. While Obi-Wan attacks Grievous's cycle, Grievous completely ignores Obi-Wan's mount, and the lizard is in fact left behind partway through the chase sequence before the final confrontation. Grievous is near a giant lizard while he is fighting Obi-Wan. However, even through the most tortured analysis, there is no reading wherein you could reasonably say "General Grievous fights a giant lizard."

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

It's that and a number of other factors. By cutting Leia's scenes, the characterization of Maz and Rey is also simplified.

This shot from the trailer shows that there was an alternate ending - Rey gives the sword back to Maz at the end of the film, and then Maz gives it to Leia and says "here, you talk to her" or something. Leia would ultimately be the one who convinces Rey to be a Jedi.

The end result is that we would have a much better understanding of how Maz and Rey relate to the Republic/Resistance. In the final cut, Rey just spontaneously loves Luke and goes off to search for him. Leia's all waving as Rey flies away with her husband's car and her brother's sword.

These are not plot holes but 'character holes': Rey never really cared about the Jedi. She idolizes Han Solo, the smuggler. Leia's the one who was searching for Luke the entire film. At the end, these roles are inexplicably reversed.
Based on what I read, this scene was supposed take place after Maz traveled with Han/Chewie/Finn to the Resistance base. Not at the end.

Noam Chomsky posted:

It was disappointing to not see this in the movie. I thought we would, based on the trailers. I wonder why it was cut and if we'll see it in a director's cut.
Apparently it was because they saw no need to have Maz hang around after her bar was destroyed, so JJ just had Maz give it to Finn.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

hemale in pain posted:

I honestly hated most of the bar stuff before the force vision. It was sort of redeemed by that but I don't think the film would of lost anything by cutting out Maz entirely.
After seeing it a second time I agree. In fact the whole part from when Han scoops them up until the Force vision I felt pretty disinterested. Even the tentacle monsters bit didn't really do anything for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This post is worth... hmm, zero portions.
edit: Never mind, read that backwards

• Locked thread