Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bongo Bill posted:

I just want to mention, for the record, that the Star Wars prequels are good.
What kind of waffles do the prequels make though? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I know they're being intentionally vague because of the NDA and poo poo, but still, it's hard not to get excited when you read something like this:

quote:

Not going to say much till I see it again but rest assured THE FORCE AWAKENS is the best STAR WARS since 1983...maybe 1980.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

morestuff posted:

El-P hated it, so I guess it's bad
poo poo, did he say that? I thought he just said "I'm not getting into it." or something along those lines last night because of the embargo.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

jivjov posted:

Speaking of Star Wars on the big screen, I'm not sure I've told this tale on SA before or not...but the marathon on Thursday will be my first time seeing Attack of the Clones in theaters. My mom passed away a few days before its original theatrical run and, for obvious reason, dad and I never got around to going to that one.
Sorry for your loss :( Also show up to the marathon late. Attack of the Clones is not worth watching. You haven't missed anything.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MrBigglesworth posted:

Opinions.

I enjoyed AOTC. Good political machinations going on, things being set up.
Because politics were always the most entertaining part of Star Wars!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Aw poo poo, black bars. gently caress it, I'm out until after I see it tomorrow night. I picked up my ticket at the theater after work and tomorrow I'm gonna be marathoning the original trilogy on VHS before seeing Force Awakens. But yeah, I don't wanna be spoiled. See y'all on the other side.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I seriously loved this, more than I thought I could love a new Star Wars movie in the year 2015. This is the type of new Star Wars movie I hoped I would get as a kid that the prequels never gave me. I was captivated by all the new characters and environments. It had a ton of humor, I think more than the original trilogy even had, and it was great to see a Star Wars movie that was able to have so much fun with itself. Also the Stormtroopers finally felt capable for once and had sleeker weaponry, which I really dug, but this still felt grounded in the Star Wars universe. For example, the displays and buttons and knobs and such all evoked the original trilogy. And the crew charging the Starkiller weapon felt a lot like the crew charging the Death Star's weapon, which, that's probably a minor detail, but I appreciated it so much.

I don't even know what else to type right now. I'm so happy that this was so good. And I'm already looking forward to seeing it again tomorrow. It left me with so much to digest but also left me hungry for more.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Another thing I really loving appreciated a whole lot: For a little while, I was dreading that the movie was going to end as Rey took off from the Republic base to go find Luke, that that would get saved until the next movie. But no! Her journey there wasn't dragged out forever like lesser movies might've done. She got there in a loving instant, met Luke and presented him with his saber. We got a look at him. He looked just how I wanted him to. And now in the next movie in the series, we'll get to see his reaction to the recent events of this movie, which I'm down with.

Keep these movies coming for years. I'm all in. No joke.

Bongo Bill posted:

The backstory goes something like this: Ben Solo is sent away from home to train with Luke Skywalker, who has other pupils at the time. At some point, he comes under the influence of Supreme Leader Snoke, who persuades him to renounce his family and join the First Order. He betrays and murders the other Jedi and helps the First Order hunt down the last of them, except for Luke, who goes into exile. This whole thing is so shocking to Han and Leia that they separate.
While I gathered that, what I want to know is who or what the gently caress is Snoke and how did he rise to power? Is he part of the Sith or something else entirely, and if it's the latter, then how did he take control of the First Order which was previously ruled by the Sith?

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Dec 18, 2015

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

teagone posted:

I think some people aren't giving Kylo Ren enough credit towards the end. The dude took a blaster shot to the gut, was clearly bleeding out and in pain, and he was was still able to fend off (for the the most part) both Finn and Rey, both of whom have been shown to be very capable combatants and are Force sensitive. Rey is also clearly some super strong Force being so her being able to best Kylo, despite her lack of any Jedi training, isn't because Kylo Ren is "pathetic" or whatever. If anything, it just goes to show just how likely powerful Rey can, and will, become.
I seriously loved how Ren not being able to read her mind gave her this idea that she could do more than she ever thought before, and she grows and grows with the Force as the movie progresses. Immediately after she's able to resist Ren, she's mind-tricking Stormtroopers just to see if it'll work. It doesn't at first, but she keeps going with it and believes in it and it works for her.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

bhsman posted:

Movie owned, characters owned, anybody who doesn't 'get' Ren's character probably won't like the trilogy and have my pity.
He was a kid who's conflicted and hosed up because of past trauma and he possesses a lightsaber and has a penchant for rage and tears through anything that gets in his way with said lightsaber, animate or inanimate.

What's not to like about him? His character owns. He's a great villain for the series.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MisterBibs posted:

The thing about that scene is that not only is Rey innately blocking his attempt to read her mind, but she's reading his instead, pointing out how scared he is of not being as strong as Vader. Bonus points for the first half of that scene, she doesn't even realize she's blocking him. She only puts two and two together when she sees he's really loving struggling to pull any info out.

Congrats, Ren, a Force neophyte can kick you in the mental jimmies.
Hell yeah. They're probably in the same age range, but while Ren's had training from Luke Skywalker and Snoke, Rey has had zero training whatsoever and is still able to gently caress his poo poo up good. And I got the sense that Ren's sexist too, with his "Girl? What girl?" line earlier in the movie. It was cool seeing a girl with no formal training completely wreck this boy who's unable to become a man.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

bhsman posted:

I also liked how Rey and Finn had distinctly different styles with Finn going for more traditional weaves/slashes, whereas Rei went for a lot of stabs that forced Ren to deflect
Finn was surprisingly competent and able to hold his own in lightsaber duels despite being a Stormtrooper with no lightsaber training and presumably no connection to the Force, or at least not the kind of connection Rey has.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

bhsman posted:

I need to head to bed, but I think they imply a connection as you hear some of the 'Millions of voices crying out and then silenced' bit from his perspective, and perhaps he also had some combat training that allowed him to be somewhat proficient.
Well he had to be proficient with a blaster as part of his Stormtrooper training, because he was poppin' fools left and right with blasters. But it doesn't seem like Stormtroopers would also have blade training. Although that one Stormtrooper did call him a traitor and then fought him with that giant energy baton weapon, so maybe the Stormtroopers do get training with those. That seemed like a special Stormtrooper with his own unique advanced weapon, though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Resistance seems like a small team of people including Leia, 3PO, R2, Ackbar and some other holdovers from the OT as well as new hires like Poe that have a very specific mission.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mitchicon posted:

Stormtroopers are the Red Shirts of the Empire.
As I said earlier though, they actually seem capable in this one as opposed to past movies. They wipe out that whole village on Jakku, know how to actually aim their weapons, have more advanced gear than they used to, etc. They got a definite upgrade since the end of the OT.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

teagone posted:

These new stormtroopers are different than the ones in the OT, no? General Lux mentions his First Order troops are badasses trained from birth after Kylo Ren makes quip about Snoke having to create a Clone Army because Lux's troops aren't getting the job done.
Well Finn mentions being taken away from his family at a young age, so presumably he's not a clone and the First Order isn't exclusively using clones, right? I mean he definitely acts unlike all other Stormtroopers and removes his helmet and doesn't blindly follow orders unlike everyone else, so I figured he couldn't be a clone, or if he is, he's a clone gone awry because he's altering his programming.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

teagone posted:

He also unflinchingly wields a lightsaber, without any proper training, against the First Order's primary enforcer who is a trained dark side Force user and nearly sacrifices himself by doing so in the process. Finn's got some massive balls.
For looking like a real weakling at the very beginning of the movie, he really comes across as the polar opposite by the end. Dude has a hell of an arc. And I'm sure he isn't dead, just wounded. I mean, I hope. It looked like Ren slicing his back open with the saber hurt him a loving ton, but he was never declared dead or anything which makes me think he definitely isn't. And I sure hope he isn't. He's charming/heroic as gently caress.

Megasabin posted:

Maybe interesting wasn't the right word. Likeable? Charismatic? Like many people I re-watched the OT for the first time in many years a few weeks ago, and what stood out to me the most about A New Hope, was just how drat fun/charming it was to watch Han, Luke, and Leia interact with each other. Their dialogue was funny and authentic, and you could their relationships develop throughout the film. I didn't feel that nearly as much with the new trio, especially since 2 of them barley talk to each other.
What are you talking about? I laughed/smiled way harder at the character interactions in this one than I ever thought I would. Their relationships all develop immensely over the course of the movie, too.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Dec 18, 2015

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I watched the Conan episode with the whole cast and crew after I got home, and yeah, it was weird hearing John Boyega speak in his normal voice after hearing him as Finn for 2 hours.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Saw this again a few hours ago, this time in 2D. Loved it again. I can confirm that there absolutely is a Wilhelm scream in this movie now. I thought I heard one when I saw it last night but I wasn't sure. But nope, I definitely heard it today.

JJ really knew what to take from the original trilogy for this one to make it feel like a Star Wars movie :allears:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

HotCanadianChick posted:

Waiting for our dinner and drinks to arrive and the movie to start:

You all watched TFA while sitting in a comfy recliner and drinking wine and eating dinner in a room with nobody under 21, right?
drat, that's a fancy looking theater. I saw it for the 2nd time today in a theater where I ate lunch during the movie, but it wasn't 21+. There were kids there. This guy next to me was there with his kid and his kid legitimately started audibly weeping when Han died. That was simultaneously kinda funny and kinda sad.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

qbert posted:

Edit: Also the prequels might have actually been good if we had Adam Driver playing Anakin with basically the exact same characterization as Kylo Ren.
And if JJ had directed them and if the DP for this one had been the DP on those too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

teagone posted:

Adam Driver is a pretty unique looking individual.
To me he looks like a cross between 2 of the Strokes - Julian Casablancas and Albert Hammond Jr.

Like, if it were somehow scientifically possible for them to have a child together, it would be Adam Driver.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Frackie Robinson posted:

Also is it just me, or has C-3PO gained weight since the OT?
I think it's just you. He's got the red arm now, and his voice is pitched differently, but those are the only differences I noticed about him.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This is probably really stupid but is Snoke a giant alien or just a hologram being projected much larger than the real person/being actually is? I mean at one point he sure looks like a hologram that disappears, kind of like the Emperor is in Empire Strikes Back.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Frackie Robinson posted:

He is a hologram. I think the hologram tech has improved in the intervening decades.
So is he a human or an alien? It almost looks like it could go either way. He could be a really hosed up looking human in the way the Emperor was, or he could be an alien.

I mean there's the very real possibility that this is never explained, too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SeANMcBAY posted:

He's probably an alien since I doubt even Lucas would have done an all cgi human character.
Yeah, that's more what I was leaning towards myself, but it seems strange that an alien is the leader of this human army, especially if he's a Sith lord that's trying to resurrect the Sith or whatever.

It's entirely possible and I'm not saying it can be ruled out, just seems a little unprecedented.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bongo Bill posted:

Maybe that's why he only communicates directly with Hux and Kylo.
Oh yeah, duh, I didn't even think of that :doh: That would make sense.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Boon posted:

drew a clear distinction between evil and good (and, I think, took special consideration to define the FO as super-evil super space Nazis)
So the guy on the other side of me today (not the guy with the kid who cried but the other guy) after seeing the Nazi scene muttered "Jesus Christ..." under his breath and looked totally horrified.

I agreed with him. That was some heavy poo poo for a Star Wars movie.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Lord Krangdar posted:

It wasn't that far from imagery in the previous movies. Just bigger, like the bigger death star.
I mean, yeah, but General Hux giving a very Hitler-esque rallying speech, the tons of Stormtroopers basically giving the Sieg Heil, citizens of that one planet watching in horror as their planet was about to be completely destroyed, etc.

It was more evocative and intense than anything from the OT, I'd say.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

teagone posted:

How anyone could find Kylo Ren as an ineffective or a laughing stock of villain is beyond me. He might be pitiful, but he's an absolute terror. The dude is loving nuts. He's a basket case, total mental, with a great abundance of power at his disposal. He does stuff that we've never seen any other Jedi or Sith do; his manipulation of the Force is violent, aggressive, and when paired with his mentally unhinged, yet tragic, personality... that's loving scary. The guy is a force to be reckoned with because of his unpredictability. It might be funny to some because he comes across as a petulant manchild, but he's not the kind of character that other characters would want to laugh at because he'd probably mind gently caress you to death with the Force if you ever made fun of him and his Darth Vader obsession.
Even his own troops are loving terrified of the guy. When something upsets him even a little bit, he lashes out in violent outbursts. He'll whip out his lightsaber and start destroying anything in sight without hesitation, he'll choke out his own people for relaying information to him, etc. Those two Stormtroopers see that he's having an outburst from afar and they run away because they know he has a history of this. He's extremely off balance and dangerous.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mentally conflicted/unhinged people with deadly weapons and a penchant for violent tantrums aren't threatening?

Ooooooooooooookay.......

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

jivjov posted:

He does plenty of "legitimately threatening" things in Episode VII. I'm starting to suspect you haven't actually seen the movie.
Either that or he just missed the point completely.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MisterBibs posted:

I could say the same thing about you, because I simply cannot fathom how anyone found him threatening at all. I guess it boils down to higher/lower tolerances for silliness; I'll leave it at that if you will.
:lol: if your definition of "silly" involves killing people and flying off the handle with deadly weapons on a regular basis.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

They wouldn't get a major actress from Game of Thrones unless they planned on using her for more than 2 minutes.
They got major actor Daniel Craig and used him in a cameo that lasted a minute or less.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Craig was the guard who got mind tricked yeah? He was just a guard, Phasma is a named character in a badass new storm trooper suit we haven't seen yet, shes not going to die without some serious development in 8, although it would be pretty fun if they got a got actor in just to kill them off instantly imo.
Well Boba Fett was just a dude in a badass suit who died a hilarious death without being given much development, so it's not like it would be unprecedented.

They gave him more development in the prequel trilogy than he ever got in the original trilogy and that was loving stupid and unnecessary.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It's been a long time since I saw the other movies but the way Boba is handled vs Phasma is completely different. Phasma is an important part of a main characters back story and former life, Bobas just a bounty hunter.
Wait, did they ever say in the movie that Phasma was the one who personally took Finn away from his family as a child and trained him to fight? Because I just assumed that she was just the current commander of the platoon he was in.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Caros posted:

I'd be surprised if they even paid him. Strikes me like it was a "I wanna be in star wars!" situation.
Simon Pegg was in there too. And Nigel Godrich (producer of Radiohead albums and member of Atoms For Peace) and comedian Judah Friedlander. I assume they're all people who really wanted to be in a Star Wars movie.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

teagone posted:

When Poe and Finn find out one other is alive after their TIE fighter crash, that was the bro-est loving moment and I loved every second of it. "That's my jacket" Finn starts to take it off "No, no keep it. It suits you." loving :allears: If I had one complaint about TFA, it's that I wanted to see way, way more of Poe and Finn together.
I think the moment I liked even more than that was Rey and Finn escaping Jakku in the Falcon, and once they're in the clear, them meeting up and gleefully asking each other how the hell they just did that. :allears:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Saw it a 3rd time today, my 2nd IMAX 3D viewing. The magic is still there for me.

Noticed a couple things this time that I hadn't before:

- When Finn is brought back to the Resistance base at the very end, someone says "Got a heartbeat.", so he's definitely not dead. Not that I thought he was, but yeah. That just confirms that he's not.

-Is it just me or could this movie have been made at least several years ago and remained mostly if not completely intact had it had the same people work on it? It has a tried & true old-fashioned design aesthetic and nothing feels overly flashy or like it's solely dependent upon new 2015 moviemaking technology. For example, at the very end when Rey is on the island about to meet Luke, she looks back at the Falcon and Chewie roars at her. The Falcon doesn't look clean or new or perfect. It looks battle-worn, like it's been through some heavy poo poo for a long time, which it has. It just forgoes choices that most other action movies nowadays make, making it feel like something that isn't necessarily a product of 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

net cafe scandal posted:

I think it's insane that it took you three viewings to hear the heartbeat line, but, alright.
Well I've seen it at 3 different theaters now and the movie has sounded different at every theater. That line sounded clear at this theater but I guess it didn't at the other theaters which is why I missed it.

It's like when I saw Mad Max Fury Road at multiple different theaters and noticed lines of dialogue on my 2nd viewing that I hadn't heard on my 1st.

• Locked thread