Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Most definitely fake... But... Oh god... :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

I was conflicted when I left the theater, but now that I've had time to digest, I'm satisfied. Movie is great, with a few issues.

Kylo Ren is loving amazing. His wannabe Vader mentality and being incomplete and ineffective in the end was really great.

I have a theory regarding the Resistance and the New Republic - I think that the New Republic is actually the remnants of the Empire proper, and the First Order is an offshoot of it. The "New Republic" is actually what the Resistance is resisting, unless I missed something about them being aligned. Leia references not having the "fleet" to pick them up and evacuate, but I didn't catch anything specifically about them being aligned. The First Order seems laughably small and incapable of protecting their superweapon from two dozen X-Wings.

Snoke is stupid. My money is on ancient Sith alien or Emperor clone. Probably the head of the New Republic.

Poe and Finn are bros for lyfe - and their whole relationship is loving awesome.

A guy in our viewing said that he recognized the pilot helmet that Rey puts on while on Jakku, and that he thinks it is Wedge. I googled it when I got home and disagree, but I did think that the helmet was very familiar.

Ok, here's a bunch of side notes in a stream of consciousness, I thought the ending was poo poo. Should have ended after they returned from Starkiller Base, or cut the scene with the tentacle monsters and give us 5 minutes of dialogue with Luke. That whole sequence with the tentacle monsters was garbage. Rey being super saiyan out of the gate was kind of dumb, but whatever. Rey is 100% Luke's daughter. The flashback with the lightsaber puts her in his shoes at the betrayal with the Knights of Ren, and she sees herself being deposited on Jakku presumably after Ren murders her mother and forces Luke into hiding. Max Von Sydow's character was pointless and should have been Wedge, Mon Mothma, Lando, Sio Bibble, whatever... That was the perfect opportunity for fan service, and they didn't take it. MIssed opportunity. Finn finding Luke's sparring droid in the Falcon was a neat easter egg. Chewie going apeshit after Han bites it was awesome. The lack of ships other than "fancy X-Wing" and "fancy Tie fighter" was glaring. Phasma was underused - and considering she is directly responsible for the destruction of yet another superweapon, if she's still aligned with the First Order in the next movie, and not on the run, it will be an enormous mistake. Finn resisting his programming is a really neat idea, and I think he was a great protagonist, though I found him to be the weakest among the new cast. BB8 is adorable, thumbs up. Some of the CGI was bad. The 3D was really extra bad (I normally like 3D, even when done shoddily, but I found it to be exceptionally jarring. Adam Driver is loving awesome, and I'm excited to see what he does in the next two films, though if it's a redemption arc, I will be bummed. I like the idea that he's actively suppressing the light-side feelings he has, it's a neat reversal. I didn't like that Luke sat this one out. Especially if he feels responsible in a way for Ren. In Empire, he leaves to save Han and Leia, even though Yoda warns him that he's playing right into the Emperor's hand, because Luke knows he HAS to go save Han and Leia. But he pulls a disappearing act (presumably abandoning his daughter) because he made a crappy apprentice? Something else has to be going on here, otherwise Luke going into hermitage makes no sense whatsoever. Even if he didn't have a premonition about his nephew destroying a half dozen planets in one swing, as soon as it happened, you get your rear end to Starkiller base and you gently caress that poo poo up. Crazy theory, what if Luke has lost his connection to the force? He's neutered, and now that Rey is around, he can train her to act as his proxy.

I'm really tired. I got in line at 7:30am this morning and stood around all day. I had a great time in line, and a great time in the movie, even though it felt really rushed and a little too familiar. I don't feel the urgent need to see it again in theaters, though I definitely will soon. I don't know, good movie, but definitely some shortcomings. It's a JJ joint. I'm excited for the next chapter.

Also, did we know that Arndt kept his writing credit? Did he create some of the characters or something? I thought it was going to be a purely Kasdan/Abrams credit.

Score was underwhelming, though I liked Rey's theme when she discovered her powers.

Also, Greg Grunberg doesn't die? What the gently caress, JJ? Consistency, dude.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Oh, and lastly, when the Resistance shows up at the Pirate base, I got loving goosebumps. that was a very, very cool moment.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

MisterBibs posted:

The problem is that every scene with Kylo has that sort of comic relief, and I'm reasonably sure I'm not supposed to be laughing at at significant percentage of them.

His unpredictability is what makes him especially dangerous. It was one of my favorite things about the movie - not that those scenes were amusing, but that they made him even MORE menacing.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

I can't wait for an animated gif of Kylo wrecking the poo poo out of consoles with his light saber.

There's nothing scarier than a crazy person with a laser sword.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Ok, so who's helmet is this: http://i.imgur.com/GHRFHNR.png

Link is a spoiler.

edit:

Nevermind! Someone solved this already: http://i.imgur.com/lwWtmSP.jpg (Link is a spoiler).

Tuxedo Jack fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 22, 2015

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

This seems like an appropriate place as any to post this, http://www.swcombine.com/ - we've been playing this game for a few weeks now (my local gaming buddies) - it's a free to play Star Wars RPG that runs in real time (so like, hyperspace takes hours or days to complete) - and it's been running nonstop for 17+ years.

It takes place in the setting of Star Wars, but none of the canon elements of the stories ever happened, so no Death Star, etc... In fact, like 8 years ago, the Empire destroyed the Rebel Alliance and turned them into the Trash & Recycling company of the Galaxy. It's a pretty fun game, we've been doing work for the Empire and having a blast. Check it out of that's your kind of thing, and PM me if you want to join the Galactic Empire.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

If any of you have the itch for a good Star Wars sim/rpg - I discovered one last December, and just made a thread for it today. If you're interested in a free sim/rpg that's been running for 17+ years, check out the thread for SW Combine in Games.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

drunkill posted:

It is the death star alarm, it is 'iconic' for the franchise.

This baffles me. Not Vader, for sure.

So, Palpatine going to Snoke?

Snoke going to Palpatine?

Starkiller being recanonized? Brought before the Emperor?

Inquisitor? Secret Sith Apprentice?

:psyboom:

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

RE: Death Star II plans, I thought Dash Rendar stole them, and Bothan spies (died) bringing them back to Rebel Command...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Pablo Gigante posted:

Dash Rendar doesn't exist anymore.

Well, they recanonize EU stuff on Rebels from time to time. It's not out of the question that some of those characters get reintroduced.

Prior to the excising of Legends from the canon, I always assumed it was Rendar who stole the plans and the Bothans who brought them to the Rebels. That's all I was saying - not trying to start a "this did or didn't happen" debate - if it's Legends it's not movie canon, I'm aware.

• Locked thread