Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Not gonna lie. This series is picking up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i misclicked on batoto and ended up reading a chapter of something called black joke instead. i would not recommend doing this.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Fabricated posted:

So basically you know someone is super powerful when they do that thing where they move and attack everyone in a single frame. This is basically the badguy version of what the sorcery emperor did when he clowned the badguys last arc.

I do like that while the badguy is predictably violent and nuts he actually seems to really care about his subordinates and gets really upset when someone harms them. Unlike almost every other shounen the badguys actually might have a reason to like their boss!

I agree, I do like the bad guy in this series. But gently caress me dead is the main fucker just Naruto all over again.

I can't believe I just realised that NOW.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Serious Frolicking posted:

i misclicked on batoto and ended up reading a chapter of something called black joke instead. i would not recommend doing this.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
You'd think mirror magic would counter light magic but I guess you can't really do anything if it travels at the speed of light.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

I see someone is trying to steal JoJo poses but is instead doing them awfully instead of stylishly.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
My pet theory is that everyone in Black Joke lives in a wind tunnel, but I'm prepared to accept the possibility that they're all just made of silly putty.

In any case, this probably isn't the thread to talk about that so the next few posts should definitely be about muscle wizards instead.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
the only other wizard to have lifted a weight or two shows up to save Aster so he can still have someone spot him

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Binged through this today. It's like the mangaka read Index and decided to do it right. Hopefully it doesn't become a cheesecake factory like Index. Enjoying it so far!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'm glad this is staying incredibly dumb during what is supposed to be a serious bit

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
I gotta say I'm loving the captain. He went out of his way to explain ki and also be a little grossed out that Asta figures it out. Really didn't expect that to play a part in this series at all.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

TheComicFiend posted:

I gotta say I'm loving the captain. He went out of his way to explain ki and also be a little grossed out that Asta figures it out. Really didn't expect that to play a part in this series at all.

Agreed, Yami is fantastic. As the big boss guy I wasn't expecting to see him in action quite so soon.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Last two chapters were funny from a comedy sense. I enjoyed Yami telling his life story in response to the badguy's.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

A bit of a shame they are currently making GBS threads all over the big bad though. He had a pretty cool introduction but he feels like fodder at this point.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
New chapters.

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/black_clover/en/0/50/page/1

50-51.

Yami is hilarious and redeems how normally forgettable most of this manga is.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Its not a forgettable comic at all, its super cool.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Yami is great because he spouts all the typical Shounen protagonist bullshit. And seeing other people react to it is fun.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sharkopath posted:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
To be honest I kinda forgot what all happened before Yami showed up. Yami is great.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Fabricated posted:

To be honest I kinda forgot what all happened before Yami showed up. Yami is great.

Sounds like a personal problem.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
I love this manga. I love how it doesn't hold back awesome characters and will let them fight so soon.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'd like to talk more about the manga but I'm going off Korean scans, which come out weekly, which means I'd be talking about spoilers since the English scans seem to have a weird schedule.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sharkopath posted:

It has really great art, good characters, and possibly a good setting (can't really tell yet), but I'm not a big fan of the way the fights/magic work. That still makes it better than the vast majority of other shounen, though. It's just a shame since if the magic system and combat was more detailed and creative it could be up there with some of the best shounen manga. It's still early enough that things could get more interesting on that front, especially as the MC gets more swords from his grimoire.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I'd like to talk more about the manga but I'm going off Korean scans, which come out weekly, which means I'd be talking about spoilers since the English scans seem to have a weird schedule.
Then don't. Wait till the chapter comes out and talk about it.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Suspicious Lump posted:

Then don't. Wait till the chapter comes out and talk about it.

Which is why I don't talk about it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Incidentally, how many chapters is it up to?

Also I really really like the whole "grow as a person, grow in power". Even if I suspect it's there so the author can keep reminding themselves to develop their characters.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Up to chapter 51, but 51 was last week's chapter and released 6 days ago in Korea instead of being available now.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Up to chapter 51, but 51 was last week's chapter and released 6 days ago in Korea instead of being available now.

Korea has access to the early scans much like China does I assume. Black Clover hasn't gotten enough popularity yet where English translators feel like speed-scanning it before its official release. Otherwise, English version is always "up-to-date" since Viz has been translating it officially.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Allarion posted:

Korea has access to the early scans much like China does I assume. Black Clover hasn't gotten enough popularity yet where English translators feel like speed-scanning it before its official release.

After all those people started getting arrested, Korea was faster than China.

I dunno if that still holds, haven't bothered checking ishihui.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
For those not in the know, Jump ships out next week's issues out early so they can be in stores and what-not. Obviously more enterprising individuals leak these issues, so that's how early spoilers come about, as well as the early scanlations. Leads to a weird online normal where the latest issue is always out a week before it's even available locally in Japan. Anyways, Viz translates the series officially, so their releases are technically up to date, but if you follow scanlations online all the time, it feels like they're a week late, when they're just releasing it at the same time it's coming out in Japan.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

this manga is good

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

It is good and hilarious and why I started paying SJ money, so I could upvote it every week on their polls. But then ODA unleashed a most terribly good arc and I cannot give black clover number one like I planned.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
daaaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmm

more people need to read this.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Man... Those sure were some impressive villains! MY favorite part was where their big leader got his rear end handed to him for a couple of chapters. They looked really impressive running away with their tails between their legs claiming they didn't even show their TRUE power. If they got beaten this badly now... Imagine what'll happen next time!

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Mulderman posted:

Man... Those sure were some impressive villains! MY favorite part was where their big leader got his rear end handed to him for a couple of chapters. They looked really impressive running away with their tails between their legs claiming they didn't even show their TRUE power. If they got beaten this badly now... Imagine what'll happen next time!
It was good right till the end when Mr Light decided to remove his limiter. Both disappointing and relief at the same time. Relief because it means the bad guy still has something hidden away.

Lectim
Jan 2, 2010

Suspicious Lump posted:

It was good right till the end when Mr Light decided to remove his limiter. Both disappointing and relief at the same time. Relief because it means the bad guy still has something hidden away.

I figured it was 'cuz Asta hit him with his magic cancelling sword and all. It wasn't a willful decision on the big bad's part, that's why the rest of his crew had to seal him and run away.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Eh, odds were stacked against the light dude.

One magic that his magic is weak against, one magic that straight up counters his, and anti-magic which is never a good thing to go up against.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The chapters were good, the fight was great, and the characters were hilarious. Yami rocks.