Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

RatHat posted:

Oh yeah he'd be a decent choice. There's also the Golden dawn captain who has World tree magic.

That would fit more with Dryad who is the spirit of the Woods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

MonsterEnvy posted:

That would fit more with Dryad who is the spirit of the Woods.

I think they stated there are only 4 spirits though. We've seen Fire, Water, and Air which would logically leave Earth as the last one.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Woah, poo poo, the reveal this chapter has me thinkin' I need to do a reread of Black Clover.

Probably a good time to, since it's goin' on hiatus for a few months and I skipped some of the chapters.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Woah, poo poo, the reveal this chapter has me thinkin' I need to do a reread of Black Clover.

Probably a good time to, since it's goin' on hiatus for a few months and I skipped some of the chapters.

It will probably read better all at once anyway. Plus I think it’s a good idea for the Hiatus as it will give the author time to draft out the story properly.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Mainly a bunch of people on Reddit were talking about how there were constant close ups of a clock during the fight, and there's this thing that seems to imply that there were legit time shenanigans going on, which might imply the Time Devil was turning back time whenever Asta and co. were in danger of losing/dying to ensure that they beat Lucifer.

Which is brilliant if it's intended.

Also just from a narrative standpoint I think "villain who turns back time repeatedly until he gets the outcome he wants" is a lot preferable to "villain is Aizen/the Jailer and literally planned loving everything", so honestly, I'm excited.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Also just from a narrative standpoint I think "villain who turns back time repeatedly until he gets the outcome he wants" is a lot preferable to "villain is Aizen/the Jailer and literally planned loving everything", so honestly, I'm excited.

Agreed. It allows super out there planning if he can ensure the results he wants.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 25, 2022

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hell yeah Black Clover is back.

Also, wait, Asta is 18???

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hell yeah Black Clover is back.

Also, wait, Asta is 18???

Yep. Also it looks like Megicula would still be two thirds alive.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Coming back on what's pretty much a recap chapter, looks like.

I'm wondering why audiences never manage to get bored of the "fretting nervous girl who can't stay in the proximity of their love interest without passing out" trope, let alone three of them at once.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Knowing black clover, the wizard king is going to reveal his secret right here in front of Asta and the fighting will just straight up start and not end until the series is done

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i did genuinely laugh at yami just sitting on the can thinking things through

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

mabels big day posted:

Knowing black clover, the wizard king is going to reveal his secret right here in front of Asta and the fighting will just straight up start and not end until the series is done

i love black clover

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/black-clover-chapter-333/chapter/25059?action=read

Final Wizard King has a similar feel to Super Asia from G Gundam.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Mimesweeper posted:

i love black clover

it's extremely good

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

TriffTshngo posted:

it's extremely good

im going to quote that very good post again when the series ends after nothing but chapters and chapters of a badass fight

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
How about all those posts from Ytlaya years ago that said the fights were all incoherent lightshows, and we'd be better off reading World Trigger? Like, that one really illuminated me on how good Part 1 Naruto was.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
honestly Black Clover is amazing on how it does not waste time it just gets to the good stuff as fast as possible and with such spectacular art

also drat the official translation was a lot more revealing than the unofficial one, it confirming that Astaroth was actually bound in a devil-binding ritual.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Delphisage posted:

How about all those posts from Ytlaya years ago that said the fights were all incoherent lightshows, and we'd be better off reading World Trigger? Like, that one really illuminated me on how good Part 1 Naruto was.

I don't think I ever said that Black Clover was bad (if I did, I dont think so now). It's basically "a generic shounen with much better pacing and really good art," which places it above most similar series (like Demon Slayer). But it's still the case that the fights are almost always just "characters smashing their big (and admittedly cool-looking) techniques against each other." Most of the characters' abilities are basically different coatings of paint over "big attack or thing that makes you strong/fast" (with the exception of the space/time people, and even then it's often used the same way - like one of the space guys using his space powers as a shield against bone guy, or using space to rip things). People generally win by either developing/revealing a stronger attack, or by other characters joining the fight and contributing their own attacks.

I like World Trigger more, but I don't think World Trigger is better. World Trigger does exactly one thing very well, and it just happens to be the thing I care most about in shounen fighting series, but it's plot/setting makes no sense and it's pacing is glacial.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't know how I feel about basically redoing the two souls thing just with Julian.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I want Asta to get chumped out so we can have another SOUL CHAIN DEATH MATCH so the manga just turns into Hajime no Ippo. And Magna is revealed to be the main protagonist all along. :unsmigghh:

Jiro fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 9, 2022

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

I don't know how I feel about basically redoing the two souls thing just with Julian.

Yeah, I was about to say, the series just blatantly recycled its previous plot twist that was itself blatantly recycled from Saint Seiya.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Silver2195 posted:

Yeah, I was about to say, the series just blatantly recycled its previous plot twist that was itself blatantly recycled from Saint Seiya.

Would Saint Seiya offer the explanation for why we had two Lichts in the story?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I’m looking forward to seeing how it plays out, honestly. There’s a word I’m trying and failing to remember, I think, kind of like a foil but for narrative concepts instead of for characters?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Trebuchet King posted:

I’m looking forward to seeing how it plays out, honestly. There’s a word I’m trying and failing to remember, I think, kind of like a foil but for narrative concepts instead of for characters?

Juxtaposition?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I don’t think it’s quite what I was looking for but it does well enough I think. I don’t think how Julius shapechanged into various disguises he’d used previously ever really got addressed, and by the time we learned what the deal was with the elves it’d been a minute since he’d even done any of that. The pacing is such that I’m hesitant to call it foreshadowing, exactly, but I think there’s more to it than just reusing the same trick.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

occam's razor: the manga that has several times had six or so random black bulls charge into the scene like 'AAAAAAAA' to make sure there are no lasting stakes after an action scene because everyone eats some magic stew so the nearby healers can just heal forever is probably reusing the same trick

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Patware posted:

occam's razor: the manga that has several times had six or so random black bulls charge into the scene like 'AAAAAAAA' to make sure there are no lasting stakes after an action scene because everyone eats some magic stew so the nearby healers can just heal forever is probably reusing the same trick

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/black-clover-chapter-335/chapter/25125?action=read

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1013898

Wasn't Wizard Emperor what the fan translations were going with before it officially became Wizard King?

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Electric Phantasm posted:

Wasn't Wizard Emperor what the fan translations were going with before it officially became Wizard King?
It was interchangably Magic Emperor or Sorcery Emperor. Never Wizard Emperor.

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 28, 2022

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Tabata has been on fire since that break, the faces in this chapter are amazing

I just love that smug panel at the end

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The cast is gonna need another power up/timeskip to deal with this bullshit

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Maybe even both

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I can't believe that Asta is dead forever.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

This is a pretty cool direction. Basically the Elf ressurection arc but somehow turned up even higher

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I wonder if Asta is a) teleported to a different country and has to fight his way back or b) sent to Hell where he ends up forming an uneasy alliance with the demons who obviously don't like being shackled by Lucius.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

mabels big day posted:

This is a pretty cool direction. Basically the Elf ressurection arc but somehow turned up even higher

I appreciate the return of personal stakes

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I wonder if Asta is a) teleported to a different country and has to fight his way back or b) sent to Hell where he ends up forming an uneasy alliance with the demons who obviously don't like being shackled by Lucius.

Im placing my bets on the latter. The demons have been set up as almost entirely evil so far, and like the Elves there's probably a lot more going on deeper down that we'll end up exploring

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Can we call this new type of enemy Angels?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Looks like A and it took me a bit to realize, but I think this might be Yami's homeland.

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/black-clover-chapter-336/chapter/25364?action=read

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1014132

Also really like this set of panels

I don't think I've ever seen anything show how a character is feeling by just how many cigs they just blew through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

showing stress via cigarette smoking is a very time-tested visual beat