Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
You need to have a sit down conversation with them addressing these concerns. Family business can be a bitch, but it also can mean far more flexibility and freedom than 'normal' jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

It sounds like you've got some good stuff in place with the fact that you have been able to sit down and at least discuss things with your family. I think the most important thing is to accept that your Dad is still your boss, and he still gets to call the shots. Lots of time people don't really want to hear about 'ideas and concerns' about the way they run their business. We do stuff like planning meetings where we discuss those sorts of things, but on a day in day we focus primarily on just getting our jobs done. It sounds like with the photo related stuff, that you should work with your Dad on creating a process where he can be involved and you don't feel like you're being insulted or micromanaged.

I think more important than any of that stuff is you're just working too much. You need to set better boundaries about how much you are willing to work, and once again you need to sit down and have a clear understanding with your Dad about this.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

You're describing lots of things people experience regardless of whether you're related to your boss or not. Lots of times, when someone hands off a job - like the photo editing - when they do step back in they feel the need to critique (often without much tact) the work being done. I've experienced this a number of times in my family business when it comes to the book design poo poo that we do. First and foremost, you have to stop taking these things personally. Additionally, come up with a way for him to review photos at a certain point so he isn't shooting down all your hard work. My mother would have nothing to do with a cover project, then at the last minute she'd see a proof, and call the whole thing crap. A lot of this is totally subjective, but she would act like her opinions were objectively correct. I quickly learned to send her early samples and let her give her input. Often times, people just want to feel like they are involved and their opinion is being heard.

You flat out need to start giving less of a gently caress. If this wasn't family, I would guarantee you'd just stop caring, and this whole thing would bother you less.

I would still contend the deadlines, working late, and other burnout stuff is more problematic. In my situation, we'd decide we really need to get a book out by a certain date. Deadlines can be good, but only when they are reasonable. I'm sure you do have some situations where you do have some stuff that needs to get done ASAP, but you might have lots of other ones that aren't reasonable. Just keep working on communication and having sit down adult conversations about these things and not getting into arguments.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Your Dad probably doesn't want to review every photo, but you should give him a chance to give some input at some point in the process. It's up to you to figure out how to do it in a way that makes him happy and doesn't drive you crazy. Perhaps after you select the photos, you should email him link to the gallery and say hey look at these and let me know if you're happy with them. You can come up with some sort of an arrangement on this stuff.

With regard to the listings, is there any particular reason that you have to hammer those out uber fast? I'd think once you have a client all signed up, it's not like the listing is going to go anywhere. Perhaps this is a mentality that goes back to a time when listings were easier to setup. It would be very reasonable to coach your clients on the fact that once they have sign up with you, that it will take 5-7 days to get the listing done. If you are distinguishing yourselves based upon the quality of the listings you create, which it sounds like you do, I'd guess that most people won't mind. If you have impatient clients, perhaps you could do 'quick' listings that show a single photo, and then go back and update it when the final work is done.

I'd guess that another reason you get pushed on the listing stuff is that when pressed, you do crank out a listing in a day. Anytime you work faster, people are going to start expecting it. Stick firm to whatever is a reasonable timeline for getting the listings up, give yourself a buffer. When someone asks for it faster, just say it can't happen. Start slow and taper off (a rule to live by).

Setup reminder emails for your stepmother once the proofs are ready. You can probably figure out some sort of a nag email that goes out to her everyday that there is a proof ready, or perhaps you need to start texting.

You're being far too reactive with regard to these issues, and I can guarantee you would encounter similar stuff at other jobs. Luckily for you, if you start sticking to reasonable deadlines and developing proactive approaches to solving issues, I'd guess your parents will fall in line.

• Locked thread