Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Are intermissions not a thing anymore in the States? Over here in Germany and Austria they're still commonplace for movies upwards of 2 1/2 hours or so. Or do we have a different undersetanding of "intermission"? Here, longer films are simply interrupted by the cinemas for 10-15 minutes to give audiences the possibility to go to the bathroom or buy some more popcorn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I think the last movie with an intermission in the US was Gods and Generals?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

System Metternich posted:

Are intermissions not a thing anymore in the States? Over here in Germany and Austria they're still commonplace for movies upwards of 2 1/2 hours or so. Or do we have a different undersetanding of "intermission"? Here, longer films are simply interrupted by the cinemas for 10-15 minutes to give audiences the possibility to go to the bathroom or buy some more popcorn.

Do your theaters just not supply people enough popcorn to make it through movies? Here in the good ol US of A we make sure everyone gets a garbage bag full.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

MacheteZombie posted:

Do your theaters just not supply people enough popcorn to make it through movies? Here in the good ol US of A we make sure everyone gets a garbage bag full.

It depends, here you can choose between various amounts of popcorn, going from small portions for kids to literal bucketfuls (though those are mostly shared between larger groups of people). You can also buy stuff like gummi bears, or bottled beer, and the soda portions nomally go from 500ml to 1.5 litres (or even 2? I'm not sure). I've heard it said that cinemas like to put a break in movies because it also boosts their food&drink sales a bit (e: and those are actually the main source of income for cinemas, not the movie tickets as the lion's share of that goes to the studios)

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 16, 2015

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The other day, I went to the movies but I went to Walgreens beforehand and bought a 1 liter Pepsi and a bag of peanut M&Ms for like $3 or $4 which probably would've cost me at least 3x that had I bought those at the theater, and I snuck them in via the inside pockets of my jacket and no one said a thing to me. I also went to the bathroom before the movie so I didn't have to go throughout the whole thing.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
I secretly think my father took us to long movies with an intermission because he smoked and could have a good puff on his pipe during the 20 minute intermission.

When the intermission was almost over there would be a gong to let you know the movie would start soon, it was kind of neat. I also remember that they would play the national anthem before the movie and we'd all stand up. Crazy.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

MacheteZombie posted:

I ordered a large popcorn at Fury Road and was immediately overwhelmed by it. I think I got through a quarter of it and wanted to barf all over the couple in front of me just from that.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
The best trick for popcorn if you're with friends and want to share is to figure out if they have free refills on the largest sized one. If they do, split the cost with your friends and ask for a plastic bag, go into the theater, dump it in the bag, and get a refill.

It's nice when you're craving popcorn but don't want to spend $2000 on a bag you're going to eat half of.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Or you could just ask the clerk for a couple of empty cups then you and your buddies can just scoop your own popcorn from the bucket.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I'm near-ish Portland over Christmas so I'm definitely tempted to check out the 70mm version.

MacheteZombie posted:

The largest snacks I ever got was in Prague. I swear the drink was the size of my head.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

computer parts posted:

The largest snacks I ever got was in Prague. I swear the drink was the size of my head.

The large ones are pretty loving huge, like enough for 2-3 people. I'll take a photo next time I'm there.

Hopefully there'll be a 70mm screening here - I'm not at all obsessed with analog stuff as QT seems to be, but if they're making it happen, I definitely want to check it out.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

For what it's worth, this really really is a fantastic movie. It oddly feels like both his most and least Tarantino-y film yet. There are way less editing and cutaway gags, but the dialogue and direction is absolutely peak Tarantino. A tonne of memorable characters and moments, and despite the run time I woulda happily watched an even longer cut. It does have some problems, but they're hard to talk about without going too deep and overall don't hurt my overall enjoyment of the film.

I don't know what constitutes spoilers, so I might leave it there.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
You can just spoiler tag stuff that you think is cool and worth sharing. Like the name of the film Taratino said it was a remake of. I'll read the poo poo out of spoilers.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
How gory is it? I usually don't have a weak stomach for movie violence but I found Django Unchained to be downright nauseating in places.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

sean10mm posted:

How gory is it? I usually don't have a weak stomach for movie violence but I found Django Unchained to be downright nauseating in places.
I don't know, but Tarantino has traditionally been all about gore, so I'd imagine quite a bit.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I don't know, but Tarantino has traditionally been all about gore, so I'd imagine quite a bit.

I've seen most of his movies without any problems with the gore, it was just Django that bugged me.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jackie Brown's got very little onscreen bloodshed and that's his best movie

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Amen.

Really want to see this on 70MM, but have no desire to be in NYC this time of year.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Pulp Fiction also isn't anywhere near as violent as its reputation would suggest.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

There's a theater less than an hour away from me playing the 70mm version, so hopefully I'll be able to catch it.

Tarantino mentioned that The Petrified Forest of all things was a big influence on this film, so I'm even more interested in checking out The Hateful Eight now.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

For me it always ties between Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, and Django Unchained. Love all three of those, and I really love how they're all so different from each other.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 18, 2015

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Inglourious Basterds is my favorite. All told, there's what, maybe five minutes of actual violence in it? It's almost all people standing around in rooms talking and it's great.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

sean10mm posted:

ehh. he isn't eli roth. most of Tarantino's gore is quick,flash and brutal, but it isnt draw out for to long. django being the exception, but all those fuckhead slavers deserved it and the shootout looked like something out of Max Payne.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

The other day, I went to the movies but I went to Walgreens beforehand and bought a 1 liter Pepsi and a bag of peanut M&Ms for like $3 or $4 which probably would've cost me at least 3x that had I bought those at the theater, and I snuck them in via the inside pockets of my jacket and no one said a thing to me. I also went to the bathroom before the movie so I didn't have to go throughout the whole thing.

I live in a country where it's illegal for the movie theater to stop you from carrying in food and its so great. Cheap fresh pinapple from a vendor outside, mcdonald's you name it. Local people don't abuse it because they don't know how good they have it. I have no idea how the theaters make money at all.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The only movie that I thought was particularly gory was Kill Bill, and even then it was mostly pretty hilarious. The slavers of course deserved whatever they got, and honestly I don't remember the violence there standing out as excessive at the time.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Modest Mao posted:

I live in a country where it's illegal for the movie theater to stop you from carrying in food and its so great. Cheap fresh pinapple from a vendor outside, mcdonald's you name it. Local people don't abuse it because they don't know how good they have it. I have no idea how the theaters make money at all.
That's so awesome :allears: At the theater I usually go to, the rule is "no outside food or drink allowed", but I've brought in so much food and so many drinks to movies there in the past. I've even brought in a bag of Chipotle chips & guacamole before in the big brown paper bag they come in and I didn't even hide it and no one said anything to me. I guess the theater employees aren't paid enough to care?

Also I just bought my ticket for the 70mm version on Christmas Eve at 6pm and I'm so excited :swoon:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

mobby_6kl posted:

The only movie that I thought was particularly gory was Kill Bill, and even then it was mostly pretty hilarious. The slavers of course deserved whatever they got, and honestly I don't remember the violence there standing out as excessive at the time.

idk. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1GlMOBXfNM it can be pretty gory. Spoilers obviously. i mean he [spoiler] kneecaps an uncle tom and leaves the fucker to be disintegrated.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 19, 2015

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
What about the guy getting ripped to shreds by a dog

What about the 'Mandingo' fight

What about getting whipped

What about killing the Klan members

What about the shootout at the end

What about the shootout in the town in the beginning

What about slaughtering the slave drivers and the blood on the cotton

the movie was violent as all hell

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Modest Mao posted:

What about the guy getting ripped to shreds by a dog

That's what got me, and that that guy did not have it coming.

Slavers getting jacked up was cool and good.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hell yes 70mm in Oklahoma. I'm.hoping its not a "a ticket is not a guarantee of a seat" situation.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ButtWolf posted:

Hell yes 70mm in Oklahoma. I'm.hoping its not a "a ticket is not a guarantee of a seat" situation.
Is that ever the case with a movie you buy a ticket for? In my experience, the only time that's been the case is for free advanced screenings of movies that you have to show up for an hour or two ahead of time or else you won't get a seat.

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002
Got tickets for the AMC near me for Christmas Eve.

I saw Lawrence of Arabia on the IMAX screen at the same place a couple years ago for a one day deal with the Blu-ray release, and it instantly became my favorite film seen in a theater. That's been my only ~70mm experience though, so I'm really looking forward to this.

DKWildz fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 20, 2015

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ButtWolf posted:

They aren't assigned seats if that's what your saying. It's general admission. Got my tickets and am so stoked!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The mandingo fight was the worst scene in the whole movie for me. It's tonal whiplash in the worst way due to Franco Nero showing up right after. poo poo took me out of the movie and the film kept doing stuff like that. Django is my least favorite of his. Great first half though.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
The mandingo scene and all the other scenes with violence against black people in Django are deliberately not done in the same comedy style as the violence against white people. The violence against the slaves is an injustice that the hero needs to avenge while the violence against slavers is the justice that the hero seeks, so one is portrayed as horrible while the other is meant to be enjoyable and therapeutic. And it would be in incredibly poor taste to have goofy slavery violence.

The mandingo scene in particular is also the beginning of Shultz's naivety when it comes to the violence perpetrated against black people, so of course it is a visceral and revolting display of violence that we haven't seen in the film before.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's the goofy scene with Franco Nero that throws me off. You go from horror, to cameo/reference for the fans in the span of a few minutes.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

edit:nvm

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The exchange between Nero and Foxx is a release valve after the horror of the mandigo fight. It's cutesy, but after a dude just broke another man's arm and dropped the flat end of a hammer into his skull, I'm gonna say that the audience maybe wanted something to let them laugh or at least not sit on that imagery for a bit.

It's also the point where Django starts to assume the real protagonist role from Schultz, as Schultz finds himself horrified by the free-wheeling barbarism of Candie (yet does his best to hide it at this point), while Django is smart and simply averts his eyes to the whole thing as to keep his emotions in check, allowing for his unflappable nature when Nero asks "what's your name, boy". It's the point Django is revealed to be smarter about the whole sticky mess they're getting into than his benefactor.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What movies was Tarantino inspired by when making Hateful Eight?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

This was a great movie and I'm glad I saw this instead of going to Star Wars.

Goddamn the scene in the middle of the movie was some hilarious poo poo. Was a little slow to start, but it didn't feel like 3 hours at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Long movie, very much a western Reservoir Dogs. Was ok.

• Locked thread