Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

xcore posted:

Did she know he was Mexican? He didn't really say anything other than saying his name was "Bob". Either way, she probably had a different outlook on "one of four paying customers coming through" and "hiring a Mexican employee and leaving him to run her beloved business for a week while she visits her parents"

Maybe, but Warren's story was she thought Mexicans were lower than dogs and not allowed in under any circumstances. I guess it's subject to change on re-watch, but I thought it was fairly obvious he was using that to see if Bob would slip. Warren asked if Bob knew about the sign, then when it was clear he didn't (because it didn't exist), Warren started adding details at will. It was just another con in Warren's bag of tricks.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Warren is the protagonist. Remember, protagonist does not mean "good guy," it just simply is the person who drives the story forward and the events are centered around. It's a common mistake for us to assume that protagonist and antagonist mean 'good guy' and 'bad guy' respectively, because most movies are about good people.

That is true, I should have phrased it as "not being the hero of the story." He does have some (suspect) principles, but he's clearly not above manipulating people to accomplish less-than-noble goals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Well cut off my legs and call me shorty, that was fun time at the movies!

I had completely forgot that Channing Tatum was in the cast until I saw his name in the credits, BUT THEN I forgot again during the movie! So his uh, popping up out of nowhere was extra special to me.

The Horse in Tears
Nov 3, 2014
I'm wondering if Ruth's severed arm handcuffed to Daisy's wrist was a nod to the opening of Female Prisoner Scorpion: Beast Stable.
Especially since Tarantino already used the series theme song for the Kill Bill vol. 2 end credits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9L2vX-JY60

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
With QT, anything is possible. Even if it's not an explicit nod, it's probably something he internalized.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I was about to make the comment "Apparently Yellowface Brownface (got my racial stereotypes confused) isn't as controversial as Blackface" and ask if there had been any uproar about the the guy that played Bob. Then it turns out that he guy is actually a Mexican. I could have sworn it was just a tanned white guy doing a Speedy Gonzales impression. Man that accent was bad broad.

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 22, 2016

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

xcore posted:

I was about to make the comment "Apparently Yellowface isn't as controversial as Blackface" and ask if there had been any uproar about the the guy that played Bob. Then it turns out that he guy is actually a Mexican. I could have sworn it was just a tanned white guy doing a Speedy Gonzales impression. Man that accent was bad broad.

I think Yellowface is something else and it is indeed not controversial in the least for some reason

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Demián Bichir is a great actor and I hope he works with Tarantino more. He's maybe the only good thing in the sequel to Machete.

Actually, Walton Goggins was okay in that too. He's another dude who I hope works with Tarantino more.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Moxie posted:

I think Yellowface is something else and it is indeed not controversial in the least for some reason

Cloud Atlas got some well deserved poo poo for it.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Moxie posted:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Bob's accent was broad enough that I sort of expected it would be revealed he was actually Lars Refnson from Minnesota or something.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long and bloated

GMEEOORH
Mar 12, 2012
I was expecting bob to turn out to be Channing Tatum. His name was in the opening credits and then he was nowhere to be found for the longest time. So between the beard and hat obscuring his face and the super fake mexican accent I thought that was going to be the twist.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I rewatched Django last night, and goddamn this Tarantino have a distaste for Southern politeness and hospitality.

The first plantation scene in Django has the Big Daddy character do the same exact quick turn from intolerance and hatred to overly sweet politeness like Goggins does in the stage coach. It's the exact same inflection.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

GMEEOORH posted:

I was expecting bob to turn out to be Channing Tatum. His name was in the opening credits and then he was nowhere to be found for the longest time. So between the beard and hat obscuring his face and the super fake mexican accent I thought that was going to be the twist.

We all know Channing Tatum can't do a Mexican accent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkBx0gMGuhY

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i think you mean 'Messican'

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I just realized that Bob looks like Ortega from The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed Up Zombies.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Question for the Civil War buffs (with a very minor, inconsequential spoiler):

When Mobray suggests they should divide the room into north/south halves, he makes the fireplace side for the south and the bar side for the north. He says the fire represents Georgia (ouch) and the bar represents Philadelphia. I assume the second half that line is supposed to be just as stinging as the first, but I can't make the connection to get the joke if there is one.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Blind Pineapple posted:

When Mobray suggests they should divide the room into north/south halves, he makes the fireplace side for the south and the bar side for the north. He says the fire represents Georgia (ouch) and the bar represents Philadelphia. I assume the second half that line is supposed to be just as stinging as the first, but I can't make the connection to get the joke if there is one.

Probably a reference to the Whiskey Rebellion.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Blind Pineapple posted:

I assume the second half that line is supposed to be just as stinging as the first, but I can't make the connection to get the joke if there is one.

Question for any American, what's so stinging about the first part of the line?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 24, 2016

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

xcore posted:

Question for any American, what's so stinging about the first part of the line?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherman%27s_March_to_the_Sea

TL;DR: The North used a scorched earth approach on the South toward the end of the war, most notably burning through Atlanta and Savannah.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Blind Pineapple posted:

He hesitated a little and I really he was going to say Washington.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

It's Paddy's Pub.

Okay that's probably not true but I want it to be.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I Before E posted:

It's Paddy's Pub.

Okay that's probably not true but I want it to be.

It was still known as Patrick's Pub in those days

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Are we still spoiler tagging?

So about the differences between the two versions of the film...

http://www.movie-censorship.com/news.php?ID=9991

The actual article doesn't have much to add, but commenter John Conner sure does. Don't read this if you haven't seen it, I don't think there's anything you could accidentally read while scrolling past.

John Conner posted:

I've written out the dialogue of the exclusive scenes. I wrote the last line that they have in common, then the missing dialogue, then finished with the next common line of both versions.

THE HATEFUL EIGHT ROADSHOW EXCLUSIVE SCENES

Overture title card w/music and special Cinerama & Weinstein Company titles are missing from the digital version.

Warren - Yea it is. Me and old Astin rode a lot of miles together. Could say he was my best friend if I considered stupid animal friends. Nevertheless, I'm gonna miss him.

------------------------------------------

(Roadshow only)

Ruth - I had a horse like that once. About 20 years ago. Called him, 'Cauliflower'. I used to call him, 'My Beast Friend'.

Warren - And what happened to him?

Ruth - Some rattlesnake shot him up from under me.

Warren - You make it right?

Ruth - Oh ho ho oh, you know I did.

Warren - Who's this Daisy Domergue?

Oswaldo - But ultimately what's the real difference between the two? The real difference is me, the hangman. To me it doesn't matter what you did, when I hang you I won't get no satisfaction from your death. It's my job. I hang you in Red Rock, I move on to the next town, I hang someone else there. The man who pulls the lever that breaks your neck will be a dispassionate man and that dispassion is the very essence of justice. For justice delivered without dispassion is always in danger of not being justice.

-------------------

(DCP only)

Ruth - Amen

------------------

-----------------------------------------

(Roadshow only)

Ruth - How about that cowboy fella? What's he writing in that book?

Oswaldo - His diary I suppose.

Ruth - What's his story?

Oswaldo - Don't know, doesn't say much.

Ruth - What do you mean he doesn't say much? You rode up that old mountain together, did ya?

Oswaldo - And he didn't say much?

Ruth - What's his name?

Oswaldo - I don't know.

Ruth - He never said his name.

Oswaldo - I don't think so.

(Ruth goes on over to Joe Gage.)

Ruth - As long as the bar is Philadelphia, I agree.

(Blackout with beat)

---------------------------------------

(Roadshow only)

Ruth - The hell is this?

Bob - It's a chicken.

Ruth - No it's not. It's a half-plucked chicken. And half-plucked chicken is bad luck and we don't need back luck in a blizzard. Now what's it doing here?

Ruth - I was plucking it when your coach arrived.

Ruth - Stopped to take care of the passengers, huh?

Bob - Hea.

Ruth - Pluck the chicken!

Mannix - That's Major Marc West. The n!gga that burned down Wilhem Bay Prison Camp. Killed 47 reds and 37 yankees. Now his own side gone just block the ice out of the cavalry with a yellow stripe down his back. (Door swings open. It's the O.B. Starts hammering door shut.) Put a warrant on that n!gga's head. 30 thousand. Then it dropped down to 8. Last days of the war it was 5. Now ma fellas went looking to lift that warrant and a lot of n!ggas got their head chopped off. But nobody ever did get the right n!gga head.

General - That n!gger!? Is the n!gger with the 5 thousand dollar reward on his head!!??

Mannix - No. That ain't nothing to do anymore, but during the war, yea. That's that n!gga.

(O.B. finishing hammering door)

O.B. - That drat door is a dirty whore.

Ruth - I just made some more coffee. Grab some cups. Get some in ya.

----------------------------------------

Ruth - Still got that deal we talked about in the wagon? I help you protect your 8 thousand, you help me protect my 10?

5. Intermission w/ returning music bringing us into the next chapter is missing from the digital version.

(lights slowly dim as music kicks in out of nowhere)

Crystal Gayle - Ready For The Times To Get Better

Lyrics:

I've got to tell you I've been racking my brain,

Hoping to find a way out.

I've had enough of this continual reign,

Changes are comin' no doubt.

It's been a too long time,

No peace of mind.

And I'm ready for the times to get better.

Na na na na na na na na na naaaaaa

Na na na na na na na naaaaa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzniDJMN4dk

(Alternate scene/angle)

Much longer and one-take of Domergue playing guitar and singing in Roadshow version.

-

[There are a couple of sentences in Mannix's words to the general that can't be right, but that's the closest to words that it sounds like.]

Overall, the missing scenes are so brief that its a wonder why they bothered cutting just to save about 4-5 minutes.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I'm just going to go Full SMG here and say the whole movie's about authenticity and Jesus. For the sake of convenience, I'm not using spoilers.

The very first shot is a fuckin' long, long shot of the Crucifixion buried in snow. It's telling you "God is dead, and nobody cares". Nobody looks after Jesus any more. Nobody believes. ("Oh, NOW you believe in Jesus!?") Someone pointed out the similarities to the white hood of the KKK earlier, which is also quite apt. Religion has become a tool to hate people with.

There's a whole lot of lying going on in this movie, as has been covered. The important thing, though, is what the characters' (and the audience's) perception of the situation is, not what's actually true. It doesn't matter if Marquis dingus'd that general's son - Tarantino goes out of his way to establish both that Warren is a liar, and that the 'flashback' is extradiegetic ("putting pictures in your head, ain't it?") - the general believed he did, and that's good enough for him.

It doesn't really matter if Mannix is the sheriff or not. When he does what's 'right', he's 'rewarded'. Since we're talking about a Tarantino film here, he's still going to bleed to death in the middle of nowhere after a frontier justice hanging, but nonetheless, he and Warren get to die at peace with themselves, content in the beautiful lie of the Lincoln letter.

The reason I mentioned 'Full SMG' is because our resident robo-kaiju likes to talk about how cynicism in movie analysis ignores the actual meaning of the superficial - and that's what the movie is about, basically. Saying "oh they just did this to make money" is meaningless, because the movie is still there to analyse even if it was made for profit. It doesn't matter that the Lincoln letter is a pretty crappy forgery if Warren and Mannix believe in it.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Harime Nui posted:

The Whole Bloody Affair has been on my amazon wish list for like three years are you guys sure it's never coming :sweatdrop:

It's been on mine for six. :smith:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They're screening all of Tarantino's movies currently at the New Beverly in LA. If you manage to go to all 8 screenings, you get a special pass to the Whole Bloody Affair at the end of the month.

I missed the first two screenings because I was out of town for New Years. :(

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Was anyone else disappointed by the ending? I thought the first few acts had some really nice setup for inter-character conflict, the differing reasons they're all there, the secrets everyone is hiding and the interactions between them - then it turns out the strangers are all just part of some big bad gang and it doesn't get any more interesting than that.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Boing posted:

Was anyone else disappointed by the ending? I thought the first few acts had some really nice setup for inter-character conflict, the differing reasons they're all there, the secrets everyone is hiding and the interactions between them - then it turns out the strangers are all just part of some big bad gang and it doesn't get any more interesting than that.

Kinda. I was expecting it to be more of an "every one is in it for themselves and has different motives" type of thing. But I think that's almost certainly deliberate on Tarantino's part.

Mobray sets up this idea that society is made up of interconnected parts. That bounty-hunters, criminals, and hangmen all fit into a system that serves the purpose of civilization. And that to do things otherwise would be mob rule. Frontier Justice. But then the plot of the movie basically calls this a lie. It's always going to be one side verses the other with innocents caught in between.

So in the end I was totally happy with it, but it was not what I was expecting.

GMEEOORH
Mar 12, 2012

Boing posted:

Was anyone else disappointed by the ending?
Yeah, a bit. It wasn't awful or anything, but it didn't really feel like a satisfying way to resolve all of the stuff the first half of the movie set up.

And while I don't have anything against over the top violence and gore per se, the fact that Tarantino's decided to end all of of his recent movies that way is getting a bit stale.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
The guitar Kurt Russell smashes was a priceless antique

quote:

Kurt Russell does not gently caress around. That much should be clear by now. So if you don’t want Kurt Russell to destroy your valuable artifact, you should probably make that crystal clear prior to him picking it up. According to a new story in SSN Insider, the crew of The Hateful Eight failed to really internalize that notion: See, in one scene in the movie, Jennifer Jason Leigh’s Daisy Domergue is playing a guitar, and Russell’s bounty hunter stomps over to her, grabs it, and smashes it to pieces. Turns out that guitar was a priceless antique on loan from the Martin Guitar Museum, and they are less than thrilled to learn what happened. Mark Ulano, the film’s sound mixer, recounts a story about just what went wrong.

quote:

The guitar was a loner [sic] from the Martin Guitar Museum and there were six doubles made. The guitar was from the 1870’s and was priceless. What was supposed to happen was we were supposed to go up to that point, cut, and trade guitars and smash the double. Well, somehow that didn’t get communicated to Kurt, so when you see that happen on the frame, Jennifer’s reaction is genuine.
Ulano says the museum’s original response to being told about the accident was surprisingly agreeable: “Do you need another one and can we please have all the pieces to display in our museum?” Unfortunately, that’s because the museum hadn’t heard the whole story. Needless to say, when museum head Dick Boak learned about the actual events, he was...displeased. Reverb has his thoughts on the matter.

quote:

We were informed that it was an accident on set. We assumed that a scaffolding or something fell on it. We understand that things happen, but at the same time we can’t take this lightly. All this about the guitar being smashed being written into the script and that somebody just didn’t tell the actor, this is all new information to us.
Boak says that the museum will no longer loan their guitars to movies, under any circumstances, as a result of this incident. “We want to make sure that people know that the incident was very distressing to us,” Boak insists, probably while cradling the shattered remnants of his irreplaceable guitar.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
If there are replicas made then why in the loving gently caress you would even give out the original? Also would someone even recognized it as a copy?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Sounds like everyone except Kurt Russell was a bit thick in that situation.

Tarantino probably planned it out because it would be cool though.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Steve2911 posted:

Sounds like everyone except Kurt Russell was a bit thick in that situation.

Tarantino probably planned it out because it would be cool though.

Kurt Russell's job is to stay in character and give a good performance. Is he going to stop each take and go "yes, before we smash this we can all confirm that it's a replica, right?"??

He's not the propmaster. Like it's a real bummer that an antique got broken but the guitar nerds posting on social media like "it's a crime! I'll go out of my way to NOT see this movie!" are getting annoying.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I mean, it sucks, but if it was sentimentally or historically irreplaceable, it was the dumbfuck who loaned it out's fault. More directly, it's the propmaster's fault. If it was important and it was one of a few items that were not props and were borrowed antiques, everyone should have been informed about it.

A similar thing happened in Battlestar Galactica, where Edward James Olmos improved smashing the model ship that his character had been building. It was an amazing scene, but he didn't know that it was an actual antique model ship that the prop department had borrowed from a museum. But it was insured. Because they were smart.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

GMEEOORH posted:

Yeah, a bit. It wasn't awful or anything, but it didn't really feel like a satisfying way to resolve all of the stuff the first half of the movie set up.

And while I don't have anything against over the top violence and gore per se, the fact that Tarantino's decided to end all of of his recent movies that way is getting a bit stale.

I watched The Hateful 8 last week.

IMO, the dialogue was not very good in general and the movie was unnecessarily long. Average movie worth watching, and then you move on. And I see it the same way: his endings are beyond predictable.

Positive Optimyst
Oct 25, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Blind Pineapple posted:

Blind Pineapple, or anyone else.

Can you tell me (approximately) when in the movie this was said?

I want to watch and hear it.

Thanks.

Edit in:I found it.

The joke or phrase is at 1:08 in the movie.

Positive Optimyst fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Feb 7, 2016

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Blind Pineapple posted:

Everyone in Philadelphia is drunk. That's the loving joke. It's not a huge secret that it's a city with a notorious level of alcoholism----remember it's the second biggest in the northeast and it was the initial capital except it was abandoned because it was so very garbo. Philly's always been kinda a stank town; if Mobray/English Pete's decision to have the bar represent Philadelphia meant anything it mighta meant that, but personally I think he was just going for the idea that Georgia with its gorgeous peach groves was "the heart" of the Confederacy and Philadelphia, with its ancient bell and cathedrals and original congressional location was "the heart" of a certain Yankee Spirit, and he chose his locations based on where people were actually hanging around in the cabin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Look, if there's connotations in that one line at all, it's that The South has the advantage of having hearth and home---true values, the comfort of real kin loyalty, whereas the North is a bar---the implicit criticism being that The North is all about scrambling for your advantage to get a momentary pleasure, the breakdown of the ties represented by the cozy and connected space dubbed "Georgia."

But probably Mobray was just trying to keep people from going at each others' throats all at once and wanted Ruth to stay at the bar and Mannix to stay at the loving hearth.

• Locked thread