Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I said come in! posted:

What movies was Tarantino inspired by when making Hateful Eight?

I've seen him mention Carpenter's The Thing, The Petrified Forest, Rio Bravo, The Magnificent Seven, Reservoir Dogs (LOL), and old TV westerns like The Virginian and Bonanza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I believe his chief influence was the Ridiculous 6

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Tenzarin posted:

Long movie, very much a western Reservoir Dogs. Was ok.

any more details?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tenzarin posted:

very much a western Reservoir Dogs.
SOLD.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Dapper_Swindler posted:

any more details?

Not a fan of spoilers, but I figure it was a quick shoot as there are not many scenes? Like Reservoir Dogs it takes place in 1-2 locations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I thought this came out on Christmas??

Edit, I see what happened. I'll wait till Christmas.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 21, 2015

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I saw it yesterday and very much enjoyed it. I don't know what i can say about it without getting too spoilery but western Reservoir Dogs is a good description. There were a couple of moments that were very Tarantino but he doesn't go completely off the rails just to be cool or edgy like in some of his more recent movies. There's a scene where Samuel L Jackson describes how he made a confederate crawl through the snow naked then suck his big black dick, but that's really the only part.

As for violence, if you can't handle a bit of gore then don't see it i guess, but there's nothing that i would classify as disturbing like the guy getting ripped apart by dogs or the Mandingo fight. It doesn't get into the comical territories of Kill Bill with fountains of blood either. People get shot and you get big blood squibs.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I just saw it. I WATCHED IT VERY LEGALLY. I was kinda of disappointed. I didn't think it was bad. Its western reservoir dogs but drawn out to 3 hours. I kinda guessed the twist early on. the characters were good for the most part, but i never was on the edge of my seat for any of the parts. .to me its not his best film. i guess i prefer django and basterds and reseveor dogs

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 21, 2015

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Never seen a QT movie i didn't love, until today.

Boxed locations... gently caress all scenery really, LOOOOOOOOOOONG redundant dialog. There was zero reason for it to be as long as it was. Just a loving waste.

Also, what the gently caress was with QT narrating the movie for like 5 mins.... instead of some dude with old timey western lingo.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Dec 21, 2015

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Rocksicles posted:

Boxed locations... gently caress all scenery really, LOOOOOOOOOOONG redundant dialog. There was zero reason for it to be as long as it was. Just a loving waste.

Also, what the gently caress was with QT narrating the movie for like 5 mins.... instead of some dude with old timey western lingo.

sure sounds like a tarantino film

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

This one really didn't work for me personally and of all QT's works I think this was clearly the most made for his own generation as the audience. (Who may love it, I don't know)

I'll just chalk it up to being born to late for this film but I think ~the internet~ is gonna come down pretty hard on this one, it's not gonna be pretty.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Jean Eric Burn posted:

I'll just chalk it up to being born to late for this film but I think ~the internet~ is gonna come down pretty hard on this one, it's not gonna be pretty.
Just how late we talking here?
:corsair:

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rocksicles posted:

Did you watch the roadshow cut or the standard cut?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Did you watch the roadshow cut or the standard cut?
If it's the one floating around on the internet, I believe it's the standard cut.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I really can't wait to see this in 70mm saw some clips and it looks gorgeous.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Is it just me, or does Tim Roth really channel Christoph Waltz?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

e X posted:

Is it just me, or does Tim Roth really channel Christoph Waltz?

I, and many others, thought it was Waltz in the trailers.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Jean Eric Burn posted:

I thought Inglourious Basterds, Django Unchained were mediocre films. Nice to see him go back to his roots.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

If it's the one floating around on the internet, I believe it's the standard cut.

Probably, no intermission. I may watch this again in cinemas.
But i really, really didn't enjoy this as a whole. Although i do think some people were loving brilliant in it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

Probably, no intermission. I may watch this again in cinemas.
But i really, really didn't enjoy this as a whole. Although i do think some people were loving brilliant in it.

yeah, i felt the twist is dumb, and i was hoping for more backstabbing. the characters except for one or two are kinda meh. then it kinda just ends. it feels like western reservoir dogs but way less good.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Yeah, this movie really is Reservoir Dogs - the Western. Couple of things are though. One, most of the actors feel kinda underused and two, there really isn't much tension. Also, the ending kinda meanders and Samuel Jackson's big scene is a little weird. As in, it's great, but it really doesn't fit in with the rest of the movie. Everything else is loving fantastic though, so all in all, it comes out as a really good movie.

edit: I liked the twist, but I think it would have worked better if there would have been more mind games and people trying to figure out who is in league with whom. There is only really one big confrontation that resolves everything. Someone earlier mentioned the Thing as an influence and it could have definitely used more of that movie's style. You really don't feel the three hours, because I think the middle part actually should have been longer.

e X fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 22, 2015

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

It's rubbish.

As mentioned above there's no tension at all. None.

It's 50% longer than it has any need to be mostly to accommodate Tarantino's masturbatory dialogue.

It's like watching Deathproof in 70mm...i.e. it's interminable.

Tarantino still can't get over the word 'friend of the family'.

The gore is ludicrously over the top (and then some). Obviously an artistic decision but very much the wrong one.

It's rubbish.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Kilmers Elbow posted:

This has me super hyped now.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
This was my favourite Tarantino film, I reckon, its gonna divide people as it is lots of dialogue in an enclosed space, it felt to me like the opening scene of Inglorious Basterds but three hours long, its loving great.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Basically it's the Walton Goggins/Sam Jackson show and both are great, but everyone else feels so peripheral and I wanted a lot more for Jennifer Jason Leigh to do. As a whole it's hard for me to see how, or if, Tarantino has grown as a filmmaker between Django and this one. In a lot of ways it seems like a step backwards, or at best a plateau.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

StoneOfShame posted:

This was my favourite Tarantino film, I reckon, its gonna divide people as it is lots of dialogue in an enclosed space, it felt to me like the opening scene of Inglorious Basterds but three hours long, its loving great.

yeah, but basterds had tons of tension. this didn't have poo poo.

Kilmers Elbow posted:

It's rubbish.

It's 50% longer than it has any need to be mostly to accommodate Tarantino's masturbatory dialogue.

The gore is ludicrously over the top (and then some). Obviously an artistic decision but very much the wrong one.

It's rubbish.

i didnt mind the gore, but pretty much everything else you said was right.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

why do people who don't like tons of verbose, playful dialogue even go see Tarantino movies at this point? like, it's 2015, we've all known for 20+ years now that this is his m.o.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Hell yeah, I can't wait to see it on Thursday.

WaffleStomper
Nov 21, 2010

Kilmers Elbow posted:

It's rubbish.

It's rubbish.

I basically agree with you here.
I felt relatively meh the whole time, but had some really good chuckles

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

Kilmers Elbow posted:

It's rubbish.

It's rubbish.

I think you don't like QT movies.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Batham posted:

I think you don't like QT movies.

I like some.

3peat
May 6, 2010

I think this is Tarantino's best movie yet, but I'm somebody who thinks Once Upon a Time in Anatolia was the best movie of the last decade so I mite have more peculiar tastes in movies.
Maybe it helped that I went in blind and had no idea what the movie was about. Definitely worth a rewatch in the best cinema I can find
Oh and Samuel L Jackson was amazing in this, I can't think of any other of his movies where he had so much fun.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I feel a little weird using words like "mature" or "restrained" to describe a Tarantino film, because there are still plenty of Tarantino-style excesses, but I think it's his most fully realized film and the one with the most to say. The whole thing is a great allegory of US culture, about what we as a culture think about race, guns, women, justice, and honor.

A lot of it does feel a lot like a stage play -- and one that's more of a sardonic character study, rather than a tense whodunit (which is why I don't think "Western Reservoir Dogs" is a perfect analogy). At times it's got kind of a leisurely pace, but there's some lovely camera work and Morricone score (and some highly entertaining swagger brought by Russell, Jackson, and Goggins) to linger over in the process.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

why do people who don't like tons of verbose, playful dialogue even go see Tarantino movies at this point? like, it's 2015, we've all known for 20+ years now that this is his m.o.

yeah, I dunno man, I think tarantino has a great ear for dialogue and it's like 90% of the reason I like his stuff

the dialogue in this is good, and it's paced super well too, since it felt like that 3 hours just flew by

it's a bottle movie, and a lot of people will hate that, but I thought it was great!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
LOL, Hollywood leaked tons of movies apparently again this year. This is a video reenactment of what happened. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydYwdrhEc8w&t=07s Heres where I heard it from, Lol Hollywood. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hateful-eight-pirated-screener-traced-850899

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 23, 2015

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Holy poo poo I loved this movie. Loved it. It also really needs to be done as a play. I would fly to New York to see this put on stage.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Okay I have some (obviously spoilery) things to say about the ending, and about how I think the violence and mayhem serve the narrative:

I've been thinking about the events that happened to Daisy at the end, especially how she becomes so much the locus for all the gore and violence.

Effectively, they tried Daisy as a witch and could not suffer her to live. Every one of them who lived to that final round, they were mean bastards to the core, none of them were good people, but Daisy suffered uniquely. Daisy wasn't innocent, but you saw how long innocent women lasted around those men.

One of the truths that Mannix and Warren (Goggins and Jackson) seemed to reach at the end is that they can set aside their deeply instinctual racism so long as they can agree on a common fiction of "the law," and as long as they can agree that bitches be crazy. Just look at her, covered in blood and puke, and sure she wasn't DIRECTLY the one who poisoned the coffee (some people claim "poisoner of wells" is another translation for the verse in Exodus about not suffering "witches" to live), but she was undeniably duplicitous. All that mayhem had turned her into a goddess of death, like Kali, covered in blood with jagged teeth and wearing the severed limbs of her slain foes as jewelry. And they strung her up and turned her into the angel on the Christmas tree (did you notice the wings on the wall behind her when they strung her up? And the recurring crucified skeleton / Thor's hammer shots in the wilderness?)

And they crucified (hung) her, to get away from their own sins, to tell themselves a story that things are slowly getting better, just like the Lincoln letter. A story to make themselves respectable, to pass as respectable folks so they can get on that stagecoach of salvation.

I get an Evil Dead vibe too, they are stuck up in this cabin with a hatch in the floor and evil poo poo starts to happen centered around a ghoulish harpy who was a pretty girl until she was covered in blood (and what got her covered in blood? Getting smacked around by evil forces).

Also I'm thinking about Daisy as an allusion to Daisy in The Great Gatsby, probably the greatest Macguffin/love interest in the quintessential American novel.

h_double fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Dec 23, 2015

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Tenzarin posted:

LOL, Hollywood leaked tons of movies apparently again this year. This is a video reenactment of what happened. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydYwdrhEc8w&t=07s Heres where I heard it from, Lol Hollywood. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hateful-eight-pirated-screener-traced-850899

I think one of the big problems is the fact that they backload so many movies to the end of the year, so once Oscar "screeners" need to go out, they are of a bunch of movies that are either not released or still in theaters. If they spaced it out, I doubt it would be as bad as this is.

justlikedunkirk
Dec 24, 2006
Yeah, I've seen this twice now and it's QT's worst movie by far. I feel like with his massive success from Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained (and, I hate to say it, Sally Menke's death) he's getting more unwieldy and worse. At first I thought it was funny that he brought back the Ultra Panavision format just to shoot a chamber piece with it, but then I realized that joke gets old after 3 hours.

This is just...an ugly film. And not in a good way, either. It's as if he thinks that by making his characters so heinous it allows him to get away with so much brutality, but it doesn't. It's even worse considering there really feels like there's no point to it other than providing some cool action and violence, along with opportunities for his cast to go wild with the dialogue. In comparison to how exciting and bold Basterds and Django felt (part of that being how Tarantino told history to go gently caress itself), this just feels so...base.

And if you want to read a fantastic (and, warning, spoiler-filled) take down of the movie, I recommend reading this review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

justlikedunkirk posted:

And if you want to read a fantastic (and, warning, spoiler-filled) take down of the movie, I recommend reading this review.

This is one of the most self-indulgent collection of words I've ever read. Holy poo poo.

• Locked thread