Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Got to see it in Glourious Seventy Millimeter and I agree with whomever said it was like a stage play. Everything from the setting to the shot composition made it feel like I was watching a stage production. I love the way QT and Robert Richardson are able to frame shots so that there is a lot of information, but it's never hard to follow if you make an effort to keep up.

The usage of the "n" word was... problematic. It didn't feel earned like with Django Unchained, it felt like QT was trying to get away with something. And I disagree with "well the big black pecker story makes up for all of that." In Django you get the sense that the movie uses the "n" word as a motif to support its themes; in Hateful it feels tacked on. This time around the preoccupation with the "n" word feels wholly separate from the rest of the movie, enough to yank me right out of a scene.

Also, why doesn't Mannix immediately kill Warren for shooting Smithers, and instead become his trusted ally almost immediately at the start of the second act? Mannix has zero reason to trust/not urgently want to kill Warren for taunting and murdering the man who is essentially a father figure to him.

Shoutout to Tim Roth and Dana Michelle Gourrier for playing the parts obviously intended for Christoph Waltz and Octavia Spencer (respectively). Kind of glad Waltz opted out of this one because it would've felt too much like a retread (sequel?) of Django at that point. It seems like Roth watched Waltz's Django performance and said, "I can do that, but even hammier." And it works fantastically. Any more screentime and he would've stolen the show for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Chantilly Say posted:

The first of these really does feel odd, but I think the idea is Mannix at that point is a weak enough personality that the others can just look at him and shrug, like "self-defense, not murder, we all saw that" and Mannix knows he doesn't really have a leg to stand on there.

And I agree totally with the second.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

IIRC he had been disarmed by John Ruth already. And I think he teamed up with Warren because at that time whoever poisoned the coffee was the biggest threat to him.

Thanks for the replies. But it was just way too clunky for me. We spend the entire second chapter of the film watching them argue with each other, watching these great actors have their character's emotions and opinions towards the other seethe and bubble just below the surface of their dialogue, only to have Mannix's first appearance after the intermission to be him wearing Smithers' coat and smiling to himself, and NOT strangling Warren to death for humiliating and shooting his idol. Also, I don't remember Ruth disarming Mannix, just Gage and Mobray, but maybe my memory is just slipping.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

So I liked Hateful Eight, and I'm also a huge fan of Clue and Rashomon. Anybody got any recommendations for someone who enjoys whodunits/suspenseful dramas/westerns? (Of course they don't have to belong to all three genres.)

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Coffee And Pie posted:

I think it would be nice to see another modern gangster movie, but still set in the 90s. Nostalgia for that era is in at the moment and I would love to see Tarantino's take on it.

Why would Tarantino do what's "in?" Besides, Tarantino was already making nineties nostalgia movies in the nineties. If anything he should make a movie set in the future or in space, that would certainly be a departure.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i'd be shocked if the roadshow cut isn't the primary version released on blu ray

Me too. There's a lot of films that keep the intermission in the movie release. Gandhi is the first one that comes to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Snak posted:

I'm not sure I'm quite understanding you... are you saying your friends thought that if you were to be hanged it would be justice, and they were right?

Cause that's kinda funny. Also sad.

yes, I believe this is what Earthlings refer to as a "joke"

• Locked thread