Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Well I mean hey maybe my scouts are right and every single one of these players has a trash defensive profile that doesn't fit their bat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
It's early in this season and I haven't controlled for change in pitcher quality as it relates to ratings, but I think there's been a change over the last year affecting control/eye and walks.

BB/9 averages across the entire league:

S21: 3.10
S22: 3.07
S23: 3.06
S24: 3.07
S25: 3.08
S26: 3.06
S27: 3.06
S28: 3.14
S29: 3.07
S30: 3.22
S31: 3.21
S32: 3.22
S33: 3.27
S34: 3.31

Is this just noise that can be explained away by unattended teams having guys get trounced or maybe something tweaked

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Scrotos posted:

Which makes zero sense in terms of the game! Like we hired the best scouts we can and were not sure we can trust them.

My first round pick in another world was a high school SP that my $20M high school scouts saw as 16/85 Dur/Sta. Once he signed he turned out to be 6/83. Draft scouting is completely unreliable now regardless of how much you put into it.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

saintonan posted:

My first round pick in another world was a high school SP that my $20M high school scouts saw as 16/85 Dur/Sta. Once he signed he turned out to be 6/83. Draft scouting is completely unreliable now regardless of how much you put into it.

that's fantastic to hear, now I don't feel so crabby about bitching about all the changes. Even if you follow what they want you to do, they hosed it all up.

What was so goddamn wrong with being able to see current ratings and just extrapolating based on that, scouting/board rank, age and chance of reaching projections? It was a very easy and simple system. So it rewards people who aren't idiots that can get by without investing in scouting -- so what? It's better than killing your business.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I'm totally fine with not being able to see current ratings on draft picks. If you want to tank your draft scouting that's the price you pay for being able to spend another 12 mil or whatever in free agency. It was a really dumb idea to make scouting totally unreliable on top of that.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Kent Page: Player of the Week. Hell yeah.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

saintonan posted:

Wow, that is a thing I would totally go to the forums over because it's complete poo poo.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Devo posted:

I'm totally fine with not being able to see current ratings on draft picks. If you want to tank your draft scouting that's the price you pay for being able to spend another 12 mil or whatever in free agency. It was a really dumb idea to make scouting totally unreliable on top of that.

I don't play in your guys world but this is my problem with it, too. What's the point in putting a ton of money into scouting if the numbers are wildly inaccurate? They were already somewhat fuzzy before.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

AlleyViper posted:

Wow, that is a thing I would totally go to the forums over because it's complete poo poo.

The forums are complete poo poo and the autist that posts there constantly is the biggest champion of "we need more uncertainty in drafting". I did submit a ticket and here's the response:

quote:

When we introduced the update earlier in the year involving scouting fuzziness, it was done to make the draft more realistic and to cut down on the formulaic process. This was done by increasing the fuzziness of the projected ratings and by removing the current ratings so owners couldn't eliminate their Advanced Scouting Budget by building spreadsheets, etc., to gain an advantage.

When you spend the max on scouting, you will be receiving, on average, the most accurate projections possible in the game. But every player varies, both as a whole and with each individual rating. In the long run, a team that spends on scouting will draft better players. But there's now always the chance for a top pick that isn't what he was cracked up to be.

There's not a lot to say after that.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:
Well if they are going to make the first round "realistic" they need to make the later rounds "realistic" too in that actual talent can be found beyond pick 30.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

If enough people are fooled into taking bad players there might be good players left after pick 30. You'll have no idea who they are, of course.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
There are fuzzy numbers and then there is "god gently caress I don't know" and the current system is definitely the latter.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

saintonan posted:

If enough people are fooled into taking bad players there might be good players left after pick 30. You'll have no idea who they are, of course.

This is at least an interesting idea for a system that happens to have been implemented at literally the worst time possible for Salem, haha.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

saintonan posted:

I got a legit #3-and-maybe-a-#2 starter at pick 34 in Mordecai the first season after the changes were put in place.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Okay, a 15 inning game is not what I needed when my staff is already tired.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
An equalizer would be variations in development, maybe a combo of inherent player differences weighed with added influence of coach ratings?

Then again putting extra emphasis on coaches with the way that hiring system still is might not be the best thing

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

ThatsMyBoye posted:

An equalizer would be variations in development, maybe a combo of inherent player differences weighed with added influence of coach ratings?

Then again putting extra emphasis on coaches with the way that hiring system still is might not be the best thing

If they want to stress realism then yeah it'd be ideal to have a guy flounder in the minor leagues and suddenly "click" once he's like 24-25 and have a huge spike in ratings. Advance Scouting could better tell you who those guys are.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

It seems like there are bigger fish to fry but if anyone is dissatisfied with the homogenous player portraits in HBD I encourage you to play their soccer dynasty game

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Anytime Vlad wants to stop hitting .220 that would be peachy.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I lost to Tampa

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Twice. Time to pack it in.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Braulio Canseco has started the season 6-0 with a 2.12 ERA. Not bad.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Yikes that is a bad #1 overall pick

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
I'm mad at myself for not moving Carmen Carver higher up my board. Got a few neat dudes though.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box
Well, as of now I'm pleased with my draft, but I'm sure that will change when they sign and I see their current ratings and an updated set of projections.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

gardenald posted:

I'm mad at myself for not moving Carmen Carver higher up my board. Got a few neat dudes though.

Thank you for that! Looks like 3 potential ML guys including 2 really good ones. Didn't spend a lot of cash either.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

This is going to be my last season in DiMaggio (and HBD). I've been trying for a while to summon the effort to properly run a team and I just can't do it - I don't enjoy this game anymore. I"ll do my best to shepherd the team to the end of the season and leave a solid franchise for the next owner.

We'll always have Wally together.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Capt Murphy posted:

This is going to be my last season in DiMaggio (and HBD). I've been trying for a while to summon the effort to properly run a team and I just can't do it - I don't enjoy this game anymore. I"ll do my best to shepherd the team to the end of the season and leave a solid franchise for the next owner.

We'll always have Wally together.

:(

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

So I'm just now sitting down and actually looking at the draft results instead of just quickly glancing over some players. Chris Garrett was the easy #1 on my board and arguably the only player worth a poo poo according to my scouts. And he went 7th, wow.

The new draft scouting certainly makes things interesting at the very least.

[ASK] Me about your first round HS draft pick and I'll tell you if he's a total scrub or not

e: 2nd on my prospect list went 11th and 3rd went 26th whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Devo fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 23, 2016

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

Devo posted:

So I'm just now sitting down and actually looking at the draft results instead of just quickly glancing over some players. Chris Garrett was the easy #1 on my board and arguably the only player worth a poo poo according to my scouts. And he went 7th, wow.

[ASK] Me about your first round HS draft pick and I'll tell you if he's a total scrub or not

Is Kelson DeJean any good

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

Devo posted:

I'd be glad to get your scouts view on Starlin Ingram and Luke Flynn.

I also didn't see any of your top 3 since HBD has no idea how drafts work. Such a dumb process that they managed to ruin even more.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

He has really bad control but other than that he's alright. And you got Donnie Kingston at 26 so your draft is a success no matter what.

Tavarin posted:

I'd be glad to get your scouts view on Starlin Ingram and Luke Flynn.

I also didn't see any of your top 3 since HBD has no idea how drafts work. Such a dumb process that they managed to ruin even more.

Ingram is a totally generic RHP with an ok-ish RH split and a not so ok-ish LH split. His control is super good though.
Flynn is a switch hitter with a pretty good RH split but mediocre everything else. Also he's slow as molasses and his range is sub-par for 3B.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Warren Thole probably won't sign, what am I missing out on?

Also Chris Garrett's vsR split showed up as like 20 points lower than it was and I still had him top 3 on my board. Butts.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Power of Pecota posted:

Warren Thole probably won't sign, what am I missing out on?

Also Chris Garrett's vsR split showed up as like 20 points lower than it was and I still had him top 3 on my board. Butts.

Below average defensive SS with a bat that won't play at 3B

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Amazing comeback against the Oranges

This has gotta be up there in my best comeback wins. Beepers is not gonna like that.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Devo posted:

Now that I finally have the money to sign him, tell me about Jimmie Howe.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

AlleyViper posted:

Now that I finally have the money to sign him, tell me about Jimmie Howe.

Average defensive 1B. Good bat except for bleh power. Might literally die on the field.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Seems like a pretty good get in the 40s, though.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

AlleyViper posted:

Seems like a pretty good get in the 40s, though.

Not bad at all actually. He should post a pretty good OBP if he survives the minors in any kind of shape. Only a couple big injuries from uselessness though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

ArtVandelay posted:

Braulio Canseco has started the season 6-0 with a 2.12 ERA. Not bad.

Rough way to end his rookie season. :(

• Locked thread