Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Code Talker is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Human Grand Prix posted:

Code Talker is cool.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

i like strangelove a lot

Her MGSV tape is incredible.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

net cafe scandal posted:

Her MGSV tape is incredible.

It's really sad

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

I.N.R.I posted:

whats wrong with peace walker ?

story wise theres a lot, imo. the main thing that comes to mind is how they overdid the boss's characterization and turned her into jesus christ that is also secretly the first person to travel to space. her a.i. character felt unnecessary and seemed to be there just to rehash mgs 3's story for no good reason

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The first person to travel to space part was in 3.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

a bay posted:

(making circles with my thumb and pointers fingers and looking through them at a distant helicopter) Look, Sneakmans

(startled into attention like a hypnotist snapped his fingers when I hear a knocking sound) Sneakmans? Uh, Mom?

(when I see a large box walking out of a truck before realizing its being carried by a UPS guy) Sneakmans....

(kneeling in the street in the middle of a raging thunder storm, ripping my shirt apart and screaming at the sky) SNEAKMANS

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also, rehashing the Boss' story with tweaks and misconceptions is the plot of every MGS game after 2, and kind of the point of the whole series.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I actually thought V was funny in how all the marketing indicated that the game would show BB's downfall from the idealist he used to be into the cynical and amoral maniac he is in the original MG games and experimenting with illegal weaponry and child soldiers and stuff while the final game had Venom going around saving children and fultoning as many people as he can and generally being kind and merciful. People are still really upset about that

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

In Training posted:

Also, rehashing the Boss' story with tweaks and misconceptions is the plot of every MGS game after 2, and kind of the point of the whole series.

I think he has bad opinions about MGS period

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I actually thought V was funny in how all the marketing indicated that the game would show BB's downfall from the idealist he used to be into the cynical and amoral maniac he is in the original MG games and experimenting with illegal weaponry and child soldiers and stuff while the final game had Venom going around saving children and fultoning as many people as he can and generally being kind and merciful. People are still really upset about that

I also think it's funny in retrospect that the trailers include footage from, I believe, every single cutscene in the game.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
i thought for sure venom was gonna shoot some kids up

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The reveal of extremely high def Big Boss in the first trailer that proudly proclaimed "Snake is BACK!" while cutting to footage of him unloading an AK on a cage of child soldiers was epic.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
it was dumb to me that the marketing said "NOW youre gonna find out why big boss turned evil" in that last trailer for phantom pain

that was the plot of mgs 3, a decade ago

and as if that wasnt enough, peace walker made it even more unnecessarily obvious, with big boss straight up turning into a lunatic, saying "the boss turned her back on me" and having a villain speech after the credits.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

In Training posted:

whats the line in mgs 5 ... "it takes a person of the same caliber to understand a hero" :-)

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

In Training posted:

The tapes in V are awesome, as are all of the major cutscenes. I think spacing a few hours of cinematics over 100 hours just lessens their impact compared to a game like MGS3

The tapes bored me to tears

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

a bay posted:

(making circles with my thumb and pointers fingers and looking through them at a distant helicopter) Look, Sneakmans

(startled into attention like a hypnotist snapped his fingers when I hear a knocking sound) Sneakmans? Uh, Mom?

(when I see a large box walking out of a truck before realizing its being carried by a UPS guy) Sneakmans....

(kneeling in the street in the middle of a raging thunder storm, ripping my shirt apart and screaming at the sky) SNEAKMANS

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Ragg posted:

The tapes bored me to tears

if you didn't drive around mother base for hours listening to all the tapes then i don't know what to tell you man, you're broken

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Nostradingus posted:

if you didn't drive around mother base for hours listening to all the tapes then i don't know what to tell you man, you're broken

That;s insane.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Nostradingus posted:

No, it was just some boring rear end crap where theyd talk about what kind of mineral residue they found on some barrels for 20 minutes at a time. I hated it, and I'm a normal person.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nostradingus posted:

I listened to them while doing missions

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Human Grand Prix posted:

MGSV also did this thing where the knockoff military vehicle designs looked better than the the real ones. Is there a reason non-authentic weapons/vehicles are used?

If you use "authentic" weapons/vehicles the patent holders can charge you licensing fees. That's why an M16 is always a different designation, because Colt would be entitled to money for the use of its likeness. Same thing with vehicles

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That was the weird thing about MGS4, considering the entire story was about the evils of the ballooning war economy, and the game was also full of licensed guns.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I think since Sony paid for that one they probably just told armalite or whoever to go gently caress themselves. EA apparently does it too because they're big enough not to get bullied. Also I'm sure call of duty probably sells more guns IRL than any gun ad ever has

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

That was the weird thing about MGS4, considering the entire story was about the evils of the ballooning war economy, and the game was also full of licensed guns.
I assumed all the name-brand stuff like the iPod were there as commentary, like brand names in American Psycho or something, but I'm not actually sure. There's some sloppy writing in 4.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ace Combat always has a big rear end credits part telling the companies who hold trademarks over every single plane they have like Gripen or Raytheon

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

FactsAreUseless posted:

I assumed all the name-brand stuff like the iPod were there as commentary, like brand names in American Psycho or something, but I'm not actually sure. There's some sloppy writing in 4.

i think theyve said they had ipods because they like ipods

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Nostradingus posted:

i listened to them on the chopper. my story immersion must be kept pristine and i won't allow it to be ruined by kaz yelling about snipers or those two fags who cant decide if d-dog is a dog or a wolf

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

Makes sense

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
d-dog is in fact a dog, btw

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fucker posted:

i listened to them on the chopper. my story immersion must be kept pristine and i won't allow it to be ruined by kaz yelling about snipers or those two fags who cant decide if d-dog is a dog or a wolf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkQ5oARNxLU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

elf help book posted:

That's cool.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I feel like it was partly because it's kind of epic that the iPod can be controlled exactly like the analog stick.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fucker posted:

d-dog is in fact a dog, btw

He's a diamond

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Fucker posted:

Stfu man.

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE

Wormskull posted:

I feel like it was partly because it's kind of epic that the iPod can be controlled exactly like the analog stick.

yeah when I realized that it worked exactly like a real ipod it was like whoa that's a really nice touch

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

In Training posted:

I also think it's funny in retrospect that the trailers include footage from, I believe, every single cutscene in the game.

and then some

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Fucker posted:

Die bitch.

• Locked thread