Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Make a VM running vista? I recall being able to run it off an old vista laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Skimmer rush is well under control versus Coalition. The new annoying-but-beatable-but-quite-good strategy is Coalition resource pressure, where they just drive AAVs at your Salvagers over and over until they can get Strike Fighters up (to kill your salvagers some more). Fortunately the solution is to build railguns, which is what you want to do to win anyway.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That did the trick! Thanks Coach. :)

Running it in bordered windowless mode though to keep the resolution right.

e: Can't get it to recognize it but whatever, good enough.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 10, 2016

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

That did the trick! Thanks Coach. :)

Running it in bordered windowless mode though to keep the resolution right.

e: Can't get it to recognize it but whatever, good enough.

Wonder what exactly did it though? Did you have v-sync enabled in your previous setup? I enabled it in mine as it was going way overboard with the framerate, hammering my GPU as a result.
It might break scripting if it was never meant to deal with crazy high fps from crazy future computers.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I had a super fun game against AGameAnx (#1 for a while, currently #3). Very nice guy, happy to give advice, and we actually had a super duper fun match on the circle map with lots of back-and-forth feinting and battles on multiple fronts. I'm struck again by how many of the complaints I had about this game when I started just came down to being bad at it.

He won when he got to artillery, but I was able to hold his (really expert) resource harass until then and get a few licks in, and it was just a blast. I wish this game had a bigger playerbase in multi.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TheCoach posted:

Wonder what exactly did it though? Did you have v-sync enabled in your previous setup? I enabled it in mine as it was going way overboard with the framerate, hammering my GPU as a result.
It might break scripting if it was never meant to deal with crazy high fps from crazy future computers.

It may have been that yeah, it ran fine until it needed to do something like end the mission, bring up a context menu, research, etc. It took a good deal of effort to get it to even recognize those dlls too so it could just be a combination of things or security permissions, though I opened them. The sensors manager started to slow down too. Windowed mode just straight didn't work either, it made it a stretched resolution inside the correct resolution of the window, crashing it lol. As it stands it runs fine, the scripting is working now, the menus aren't stuttering, but it is slightly stretched.

I can't be mad at the game because I mean it's old as hell at this point, it's just a surprise it works so much worse than HW1 does. The only problem I had with that was breaking the scripting in the final mission by killing the Emperor before Elson appeared, crashing the game. :v:

quote:

He won when he got to artillery, but I was able to hold his (really expert) resource harass until then and get a few licks in, and it was just a blast. I wish this game had a bigger playerbase in multi.

I've been trying to get on more but XCOM2 is destroying my time, and my friends like Spaceships more (though I've always sucked at HW2). :v:

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

I can't be mad at the game because I mean it's old as hell at this point, it's just a surprise it works so much worse than HW1 does. The only problem I had with that was breaking the scripting in the final mission by killing the Emperor before Elson appeared, crashing the game. :v:

Good thing that some random Hungarian just happens to be an enthusiast of old games and has built the most advanced old api emulator out there, just because he can.
Being a bit of a programmer myself I can't even fathom how much work went into his Glide and DirectX stuff.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I just won a 1v1 ranked game after, at one point, having no units left except my carrier. :psyduck:

Either the guy was throwing, or he'd just never gotten past the skimmer stage in Gaal versus Gaal. He overwhelmed me with skimmers, blew up all my PCs, took out all my harvesters, and then repeated that several times as I kept driving him off with an upgraded carrier and rebuilding.

Eventually he came back with a death swarm of skimmers and ran into interceptors. Then he sent his carrier in with massed assault ships, of all things, and my carrier blew his up. :what:

e: and I bumped up from 18 to 15 on the ladder from this match

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I forgot just how little unit variety there is in Cata. Sentinels are little asskickers when not shielding though, I don't think I ever realized that before. Also I've had to leave behind another worker and acv since they wouldn't dock and missile destroyers popped in to say hi when the collectors had to dock at the planet. Truly I am the real Beast.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

RBA Starblade posted:

I forgot just how little unit variety there is in Cata. Sentinels are little asskickers when not shielding though, I don't think I ever realized that before. Also I've had to leave behind another worker and acv since they wouldn't dock and missile destroyers popped in to say hi when the collectors had to dock at the planet. Truly I am the real Beast.

I didn't like most of the Somtaaw ship designs, and thought they didn't have the same degree of stylistic unity that the original factions had. Also, having your only corvette options be two fighter models stuck together is pretty low-effort.

DoK related:
I do wish there were something equivalent to Ground Control's option to show the sight and weapons range of a unit as blue and red circles. It makes positioning much, much easier.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Just a thought... would Deserts of Kharak be a good starting point for an "RTS MMO"?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Tanith posted:

I didn't like most of the Somtaaw ship designs, and thought they didn't have the same degree of stylistic unity that the original factions had. Also, having your only corvette options be two fighter models stuck together is pretty low-effort.

DoK related:
I do wish there were something equivalent to Ground Control's option to show the sight and weapons range of a unit as blue and red circles. It makes positioning much, much easier.

I've had a ton of fun bulldozing everything with drone and multibeam frigates <3

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mango Polo posted:

I've had a ton of fun bulldozing everything with drone and multibeam frigates <3

I killed a heavy cruiser and four destroyers with five hive frigates and three multi-beams. Zero casualties.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Eh, it's not like the HW1 frigates had a whole lot of variety either if you want a direct comparison for the Somtaw. They all used the same basic frame with the only changes being on the prow or flanks of the ships.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Arcsquad12 posted:

Eh, it's not like the HW1 frigates had a whole lot of variety either if you want a direct comparison for the Somtaw. They all used the same basic frame with the only changes being on the prow or flanks of the ships.

Which to be fair, is exactly how ships SHOULD be designed. Making a bespoke hull for each ship is pretty dumb.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
It makes perfect sense especially in HW1, where the research is specifically based on getting basic chassis up and running and then modifying them. The Kushan Corvette line is a master class in iterative design.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I'm a fan of the Hiigaran frigate series.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Skandranon posted:

Which to be fair, is exactly how ships SHOULD be designed. Making a bespoke hull for each ship is pretty dumb.

Yeah. The Processor, Carrier, and Destroyer all go off a (very) basic design but that's about it.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The Somtaaw have a very different 'history' behind their chassis though- they're a mix of Bentusi/bentusi-copycat designs (Acolyte, ACV, Dreadnought), redesigned tech (hive frigate), or Kadeshi tech (Multibeam frigate, hive frigate). Even the worker is supposed to be the hull from a low-earth-orbiter. It works well in context, since Catacylsm is about the transformation of a sleepy mining vessel/Kiith to a preeminent military force.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Yeah for Somtaaw having everything look unique makes sense, since their designers are literally crazy (Hello sentinel designer).

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Their solution to their issues was to attach a big fuckoff gun to their mining ship. The Somtaaw are awesome and my favorite kiith.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The Mimic is another great story- from infiltration vessel to suicide bomber.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I like to think it's because the Somtaaw aren't a military kiith. They have no hidebound traditions, senior officers playing politics, or established doctrine of warfare. They come into the Cataclysm with fresh, open eyes towards waging war and that gives them a unique advantage of perspective and pragmatism.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
The "bolt engines and guns to it and throw it at the DAMNED SPACE MONSTERS" philosophy of ship design is objectively the most superior. :black101:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I still love that a good quarter of the missions in Cata can be solo'd by the Kuun-Lan if you know what to do.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I still love that a good quarter of the missions in Cata can be solo'd by the Kuun-Lan if you know what to do.

All the first quarter I imagine. Very Hard in Cataclysm can get pretty hard. The cruise missile mission can get very deadly very quickly if you don't leave enough ships to guard the Kuun-Lan from the cloaked Ion Array ambush.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kibayasu posted:

All the first quarter I imagine. Very Hard in Cataclysm can get pretty hard. The cruise missile mission can get very deadly very quickly if you don't leave enough ships to guard the Kuun-Lan from the cloaked Ion Array ambush.

Yeah I've only played on Normal. There at least it can take on three to four frigates at a time with no trouble, more if you keep the Processor close.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

So, this has been out for awhile, what's the final consensus?

Primarily as a singleplayer experience preferably.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Deakul posted:

So, this has been out for awhile, what's the final consensus?

Primarily as a singleplayer experience preferably.

I enjoyed the single player campaign a lot. Very much felt like Homeworld. Was a bit too easy and short, but definitely worth it if it goes on sale.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

It's a good Homeworld game with a surprising amount of mechanical depth, strong writing, and really loving art and audio design. It feels a bit light on content for a full price title but I hope they'll make a lot more Homeworld games.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
February 17, 2016

Patch 1.0.2 Release Notes

New Content

Region Filtering/Ping:

For custom games there is now a region drop-down option that will toggle between Local and Worldwide filtering options for available games.
In the lobbies, each user will now have a visual representation of their network connection (ping). This is displayed as a coloured icon as well as a ping time value.
Balance Updates

To incentivize players to go for artifacts, even early in the game, both factions will now start with a baserunner.

Coalition and Gaalsien will now have a free baserunner at the start of a match.
Coalition Heavy Armor

Adjustments were made on the price of the Coalition Heavy Armor upgrades to better reflect the gameplay advantage they provide.

Level 1, 2 and 3 CU Price increases from 100/200/300 to 550/550/550 CUs.
Probes

One of our focuses in this patch was to provide scouting tools. While still fragile, the probe will now be an effective scouting unit in the Coalition arsenal.

A probe deployed by the baserunner will now be controllable and is considered an air unit.
The price for the Launch Probe ability has increased from 50 to 100 CUs.
The cooldown time for the Launch Probe ability has decreased from 120 to 30 seconds.
Probe Sensor Radius has increased from 200 to 1000.
Probe Health has increased from 10 to 100.
The Probe will remain in the field until destroyed.
Coalition Carrier Repair System

While we still want the Coalition Carrier Repair System to be a powerful support option, its effectiveness was decreased so that there is an incentive to produce combat units early in the game. Before, late in the game, Repair Level 5 heal rate was equivalent to the heal rate of 12 Support Cruisers, negating even enemy Railgun fire at times.

Repair System Changes;

Level 1: Heal Rate from 50 hull points/s to 30.
Level 2: Heal Rate from 100 hull points/s to 45.
Level 3: Heal Rate from 150 hull points/s to 60.
Level 4: Heal Rate from 200 hull points/s to 90.
Level 5: Heal Rate from 250 hull points/s to 120.
Sandskimmer

To compensate for the fact that Gaalsien players can easily use their production cruisers offensively, specifically in the early game, some adjustments were made to the Sandskimmers build time and self-repair ability.

Build time has increased from 8 to 11 seconds.
Out of Combat timer has increased from 1 second to 3.5 seconds on its self-repair ability.
Baserunner

Just like on the Coalition side, we want the Gaalsien baserunner to be one of the key scouting units in the game. Weve added a new ability that deploys a vision scanner from a distance, enabling Gaalsien players to either use it offensively or defensively.

Repair ability on the Baserunner is now equally effective at all ranges. (Max range 400)

Will now be able to deploy vision scanners from a distance.
Repair ability AOE falloff type has changed from Linear to None.
Assault Ship

The Assault Ship is supposed to be one of the key units when an enemy player is massing Light Attack Vehicles or Sandskimmers. We felt that this unit usually did not successfully serve its purpose; several tweaks were made in order to address this issue.

Maximum Speed has decreased from 85 to 70.
Price has increased from 220/35 to 220/40
Turn Acceleration has increased from 5 to 10.
Weapon Rate of Fire has increased from 2 to 5.
Max Range has increased from 600 to 700m.
Minimum Burst Time length has decreased from 1 to 0.8 seconds.
Reload Time has decreased from 2 to 1.25 seconds

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
All those changes sound good, and I should finally be able to get some multiplayer going reliably.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Sandskimmer

To compensate for the fact that Gaalsien players can easily use their production cruisers offensively, specifically in the early game, some adjustments were made to the Sandskimmers build time and self-repair ability.

Build time has increased from 8 to 11 seconds.
Out of Combat timer has increased from 1 second to 3.5 seconds on its self-repair ability.

I was wondering when they'd do this. I don't know if it'd really stop an early rush. I haven't played in a while but I never pulled the skimmers I sent in back.

e: The free baserunner will shut it down though.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 17, 2016

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
The Gaalsien baserunner getting a scanner is nice too.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Interesting. I wonder if Gaal will still be competitively viable.

e: GvG is a LOT more fun now

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 17, 2016

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Skandranon posted:

I enjoyed the single player campaign a lot. Very much felt like Homeworld. Was a bit too easy and short, but definitely worth it if it goes on sale.

Noted, everyone saying it's short and content light convinced me to hold off.

I'll probably pick up for a tenner somewhere down the line unless it gets significant content updates.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Deakul posted:

Noted, everyone saying it's short and content light convinced me to hold off.

I'll probably pick up for a tenner somewhere down the line unless it gets significant content updates.

I wouldn't say it's content light... the story content is great. It does pull you through the campaign quickly. It really is one of those things where it feels too short simply because it was so good. My main complaint is that it felt too easy. I'm not a big RTS person, and I finished all the missions on the hardest difficulty on the first play through. I don't think I even did any save scumming.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

The "bolt engines and guns to it and throw it at the DAMNED SPACE MONSTERS" philosophy of ship design is objectively the most superior. :black101:

They really are the gooniest.

Woah hey we found this huge gun, let's just strap it on and see what happens!
Haha did we just fry our systems? That's cool, let's fix this and try it all over again :dance:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
New patch has landed:

quote:

Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak Update Rolling Out Feb. 23, 2016
Version 1.0.3 - Releasing February 17, 2016

New Content:
  • Added new map “Firebase Kriil” for 1v1 & 2v2 Automatch and public games.
Bug Fixes:
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the mouse pointer to be unlocked from its position when the camera was moved
  • Lowered starting resources on “the Boneyard” to match other MP maps.
http://steamcommunity.com/games/281610/announcements/detail/638753913270252523

Presumably the part where it says "Releasing Feb 17" is a mistake, it only showed up on Steam a couple of hours ago.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mango Polo posted:

They really are the gooniest.

Woah hey we found this huge gun, let's just strap it on and see what happens!
Haha did we just fry our systems? That's cool, let's fix this and try it all over again :dance:

This is just how engineering actually works. :eng101:

• Locked thread