Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
At least the British were different. They were a genuine unique faction - they ended up unbalanced because they were rushed since, for some reason (probably THQ mandate), Relic had to keep up the 2-factions-per-expansion system they used in Dawn of War, without factoring in how much more complex CoH was. But apart from imbalance the Brits and the Panzer Elite were awesome.

Deserts of Kharak isn't as complex as CoH from a mechanics standpoint (and less focused, which is significantly hurting it). I'm not even sure you can call it as complex as Dawn of War 1 - yet their post-launch content is laughably simple and art-heavy instead of being content-heavy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
That is quite disappointing. I was (perhaps unrealistically) thinking that the Khaaneph would show up in some kind of add-on campaign DLC.

Whoever said this game has no PR is dead on. I saw zero publicity for the DLC that just came out, not even Steam deigned to notify me when usually the updates window is full of information on games I own. Sad.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I have no idea why the game got so little PR, but they did self publish this one. Typically they've used external publishers to help them out with things like PR and Marketing.

The game is nice, but my gut industry feeling is that it was a project testing the waters for something. Homeworld 3 or something like it is a no brainier so I wouldn't be at all surprised that this thing got made to raise brand awareness or test a MP engine. It's like when you see DLC for really old games or old games getting a standalone iPhone game out of the blue. That's almost always a give away that a marketing team somewhere has a 3 year plan ramping up to an expansion of that IP.

I worked with GBX in the past and it was an ego driven political place, so that could always be a factor.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

BULBASAUR posted:

I have no idea why the game got so little PR, but they did self publish this one. Typically they've used external publishers to help them out with things like PR and Marketing.

Didn't Gearbox help them 'publish'?

By doing no PR whatsoever?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Good point. Yeah, GBX got the IP and contracted it out to Blackbird. I had no idea they were old relic people so it makes sense. It was probably a project in it's infancy when THQ imploded and GBX let them keep doing their thing. GBX isn't a publisher but they've self published before so again no idea why there was so little marketing.

It could be that it's a cheap game. With Xcom launching on the same week there's no way you're going to compete unless you spend lots and lots of money. Could be a lot of things really. One things for sure though- expect more homeworld stuff.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Is the game moddable? Those carriers in the desert would look fantastic as landships in a Heavy Gear mod.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Gearbox paid for the transition of the game from Hardware Shipbreakers to Deserts of Kharak as well. Depending on how much was spent on that, that deal was reached 2-3 years ago, there could just not have been anything left for marketing.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Based on Gearbox's previous efforts I'm honestly surprised they shipped DoK without forcibly making GBS threads in each and every customer's mouth upon installation completion. Maybe that's the planned DLC.

It's a loving miracle this game is as good as it is in spite of Gearbox. It'll be loving tragic if it dies as a result of their incompetence in marketing / everything.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Pathos posted:

Based on Gearbox's previous efforts I'm honestly surprised they shipped DoK without forcibly making GBS threads in each and every customer's mouth upon installation completion. Maybe that's the planned DLC.

It's a loving miracle this game is as good as it is in spite of Gearbox. It'll be loving tragic if it dies as a result of their incompetence in marketing / everything.

Homeworld Remastered was glorious and if you disagree that means YOU are the mouth-shitter.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
As good as it was, it's just a remastered game. You can thank the original studio for that masterpiece.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

As good as it was, it's just a remastered game. You can thank the original studio for that masterpiece.

And I can thank the remaster team for bringing it up to modern standards.

All parties involved deserve credit.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

grimcreaper posted:

Homeworld Remastered was glorious and if you disagree that means YOU are the mouth-shitter.

No, I agree. It was good. A few strange choices and a few TOTAL fuckups (like squads being broken as gently caress in HW1). I love Homeworld so much and I would give the Remaster a solid 7/10. Which, for Gearbox, is like a 18/10.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I thought loads of people shat on hw remastered because they ported homeworld 1 to the hw2 engine and "ruined" it

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Yeah unfortunately the HW1 campaign turned out quite bad.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I wouldn't say it's "bad" but unfortunately the engine port did harm the gimmicks of a few quite signature missions.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Honestly the only thing I noticed was sphere being broken. Even in HW1 classic I Got Gud enough that the swarm tactics didn't matter.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The mission scripting was straight up broken, robbing the game of any real challenge. Large chunks of the unit roster were worthless due to the altered physics model. The new UI was a real step back in terms of the game's aesthetic, although that's a pretty minor point. If not for nostalgia for HW1's wonderful campaign it would've been written off as slipshod and dull.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

General Battuta posted:

The mission scripting was straight up broken, robbing the game of any real challenge. Large chunks of the unit roster were worthless due to the altered physics model. The new UI was a real step back in terms of the game's aesthetic, although that's a pretty minor point. If not for nostalgia for HW1's wonderful campaign it would've been written off as slipshod and dull.

As someone who missed playing the series when it originally came out, that's what it came off to me as. I can see a bit of what made the original so loved, but I just really couldn't get into HW1 with the remaster.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I remember correctly, projectiles in Homeworld were physically modelled and had to hit their targets to do damage, but in Homeworld 2 (and HW:R) they're based on a dice roll at time of firing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

GotLag posted:

I remember correctly, projectiles in Homeworld were physically modelled and had to hit their targets to do damage, but in Homeworld 2 (and HW:R) they're based on a dice roll at time of firing.

Still hoping those couple die hard devs manage to get the formations working properly.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

General Battuta posted:

A lot of ships were already largely useless (who, ever, used the cloaked fighter) and I didn't notice any broken scripts when I played. The new UI is ok, I'd be fine with it if they kept the research descriptions in but you lose something without it.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Dukka posted:

The last time not-Relic created a new faction we ended up with the British and gently caress that again.

How dare you

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Lack of proper sphere formations, guarding, etc in HW1 Remastered means I can't do battleballs and that means it gets 0 stars.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Still hoping those couple die hard devs manage to get the formations working properly.

So i take it the patch never got released?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Roadie posted:

Lack of proper sphere formations, guarding, etc in HW1 Remastered means I can't do battleballs and that means it gets 0 stars.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

A lot of ships were already largely useless (who, ever, used the cloaked fighter) and I didn't notice any broken scripts when I played. The new UI is ok, I'd be fine with it if they kept the research descriptions in but you lose something without it.

What baffles me most is that you're usually the guy who reports everything breaking in every game you ever play :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

General Battuta posted:

What baffles me most is that you're usually the guy who reports everything breaking in every game you ever play :v:

I know, HW:R was great for me somehow! I managed to get HW1 classic to crash by beating the final mission to fast though. :haw:

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran
We released the Mac version of Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak today.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Neat.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Game is 50% off on Steam during the Summer sale, finally going to check this game out.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Yeah, I'm hoping the sale drums up some more interest in the game. I thought it was pretty awesome and would like to see it developed more.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

I love RTS' and bought the game during the sale. Played for a few hours and it's fun enough so far. Does this game have a following?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I think the MP is pretty quiet, but I play with some friends now and again, I do really like the game though, it's really pretty in motion, the soundtrack and idle chatter is ace and the DLC factions are actually pretty fun. The Khaaneph(?) carrier looks baller and spams missiles like a motherfucker.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I wish I could zoom out further in non-sensor mode. Supreme Commander really spoiled me forever in that regard.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Holy poo poo this mission where you have to tackle the Sakala is annoying me. I swear the game's just straight-up spawning enemy formations right within my sensor range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crash74
May 11, 2009

EgonSpengler posted:

We released the Mac version of Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak today.

Are you a dev? Is this still being worked on?

• Locked thread