Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.

Brutakas posted:

From the video it appeared that resource costs were deducted up front instead of gradually over time Is that a change that made it to the final version?

I much prefer the latter because It frees me from having to focus on production constantly and I never have to wait for resources before I can queue things up.

That's a great point. I really hope it's the latter too-- I tend to overload my production because I think I've got more RU bandwidth than I really do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Insert name here posted:

In case anyone doesn't know, the campaign in CoH2 is entire about war crimes and atrocities on the Eastern Front, but the only people doing the war crimin' are the Soviets, completely ignoring all the poo poo the Nazis did.

The main character ( a Russian ), at one point says, and I quote "At least the Germans didn't kill civilians".

Because of course they didn't! That's not recorded or anything.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Looking forward to this - hopefully it does well enough that Homeworld 3 becomes a thing.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I utterly suck at RTSes, but I'll probably be picking this up just because it's more Homeworld and because I'm a sucker for anything with ridiculous land battleships/carriers in it :allears:

Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.
Here's a short video with an amazing intro by Swiss Knight. It details my channel's launch and some info about upcoming lore videos and streaming of the game come Wednesday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gOVrspR9Zk

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

Tupper posted:

So I've been putting out some videos about very basic background and trailer commentary/frame-by-frame picking out of stuff. I haven't done a video on the "Transmission" trailer yet, but I do have three videos up so far. They cover the Announcement trailer, the "Primary Anomaly" trailer, and finally a video with SabinBlitz and I talking about some gameplay from Gamespot's channel.

Wellp, you've gotten me wildly speculating; my mind is haring off on wild tangents while I should be doing sprites for Little Awful Jam 2016.

Without getting too much into it, you've gotten me suspecting the BBI might have incorporated some of the story concepts from Hardware: Shipbreakers that appeared to have been dropped by the wayside when the setting was moved to Kharak. I've gotten the idea in my head that the bulk of the ships you run across while en route to the Jaraci Anomaly--the Khar-Toba--might not be of Hiigaran origin, starting when I suddenly intuited a more than passing design similarity between this:

And this.

That being said, one of the elements that struck me as similar the orange-yellow markings with tiger stripes isn't as pronounced in the image above (and could just be carbon scoring), and isn't present in this one, so it might be a baseless assumption. In any case, the craft certainly doesn't resemble the Khar-Toba or her sister ships, or any of the ancient Hiigaran military vessels that were extant at the time of the exile.

For that matter, neither do the other space craft we're aware of at this point, the Fleet 15 craft. A class which may have at least one example which has crash landed on Kharak.

Why are there wrecked Starships buried in the sand? Who knows what thing dragged them here. Well, guess we'll find out; I'd better stop with the wild speculation, it's amusing but way too distracting.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
For the record, I still think the Shipbreakers setting was a fantastic concept, and I hope for a game set in that world sometime. Even a sci-fi novel about it seems like it'd be at least fun to read.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
It's definitely one of those settings which really shows the compelling quality of something good and impenetrably mysterious, yes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Yeah, the Homeworld series always gripped me with the grandeur and unfathomable mystery of its cosmos. I've always loved that sense that for all your power and knowledge and might, you're children playing amid the gravestones of your forebears. Homeworld pulled it off brilliantly and even World of Warcraft did it well with Ulduar.

This game really makes me want a comparable game actually set in the ocean. Deserts looks good, but I really like aquatic and especially undersea settings.

Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.

MShadowy posted:

a bunch of awesome speculation

I never drew the line between that crashed ship and the Turanics. That's a great point. The ship I pointed out in one of the videos, the Kalash -might- be a Khar-toba class ship, but maybe not. It isn't the name of one of the carriers that you see in IGN's videos, which was my initial thought.

Questions, questions, questions. I love this poo poo.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, the Homeworld series always gripped me with the grandeur and unfathomable mystery of its cosmos. I've always loved that sense that for all your power and knowledge and might, you're children playing amid the gravestones of your forebears. Homeworld pulled it off brilliantly and even World of Warcraft did it well with Ulduar.

This game really makes me want a comparable game actually set in the ocean. Deserts looks good, but I really like aquatic and especially undersea settings.

The closest I've gotten the aquatic equivalent feeling from is probably Anno 2070 and as a traditional RTS probably Submarine Titans.
It's such a loving cool and untapped part of the world in gaming, atleast in strategy gaming.

I don't think it's all that feasible though since there's so many factors to take in with the ocean.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Deakul posted:

I don't think it's all that feasible though since there's so many factors to take in with the ocean.

A surface-only game could work, or one that's essentially land-based as you crawl along the ocean floor.

Almost every RPG that focuses heavily on the ocean I've seen is a JRPG of some sort which doesn't interest me at all.

Kind of a shame that Supreme Commander is still the best strategy game for naval warfare that I can think of, or *maybe* Anno 2205.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Is it time to bring the CoH bros back together.
i'm a strong independent cheeser

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran

Tupper posted:

That's a great point. I really hope it's the latter too-- I tend to overload my production because I think I've got more RU bandwidth than I really do.

Costs are deducted up-front. There are a bunch of reasons for that, but mostly because it's makes for much better granularity when a player is looking at their balance. Allowing spending ahead of having the cash and deducting over time means a player needs to do the mental math on "do I have enough cash plus income to build this?" vs "do I have enough cash to buy it?"

Queuing before having the money also leads to frustrating deadlocks where your economy grinds to a halt and a pile of your partially built stuff stops or slows down, which can represent a huge stall on a lot of resources. That penalty can be very stiff in competitive situations, and while many people like having the added complexity to manage in their head, RTS games typically have plenty going on without adding "press this button too many times to lose" mechanics.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Dukka posted:

i'm a strong independent cheeser

CoH Homeworld Intensifies

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Cythereal posted:

A surface-only game could work, or one that's essentially land-based as you crawl along the ocean floor.

Almost every RPG that focuses heavily on the ocean I've seen is a JRPG of some sort which doesn't interest me at all.

Submarine Titans.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
You can start pre-loading the game.

Although it is only 3.6gb download, so either it is a small game compressed well, or there'll be a bunch more to get on launch day.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

drunkill posted:

You can start pre-loading the game.

Although it is only 3.6gb download, so either it is a small game compressed well, or there'll be a bunch more to get on launch day.

About 7 on disk though, which actually sounds about right.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

EgonSpengler posted:

Costs are deducted up-front. There are a bunch of reasons for that, but mostly because it's makes for much better granularity when a player is looking at their balance. Allowing spending ahead of having the cash and deducting over time means a player needs to do the mental math on "do I have enough cash plus income to build this?" vs "do I have enough cash to buy it?"

Queuing before having the money also leads to frustrating deadlocks where your economy grinds to a halt and a pile of your partially built stuff stops or slows down, which can represent a huge stall on a lot of resources. That penalty can be very stiff in competitive situations, and while many people like having the added complexity to manage in their head, RTS games typically have plenty going on without adding "press this button too many times to lose" mechanics.

Deducting costs up front is worse for people bad at RTSs though because they'll only be able to queue up 1 tank when they want to build 5 and then forget to build the other 4 because they get distracted. Do you at least have DoW 1/CoH/DoW 2 style right-clicking on a button to overwatch it and have it trigger as soon as it can (so you can tell the game "build x thing a often as possible until I tell you to stop")?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

DatonKallandor posted:

Deducting costs up front is worse for people bad at RTSs though because they'll only be able to queue up 1 tank when they want to build 5 and then forget to build the other 4 because they get distracted. Do you at least have DoW 1/CoH/DoW 2 style right-clicking on a button to overwatch it and have it trigger as soon as it can (so you can tell the game "build x thing a often as possible until I tell you to stop")?

I am getting early DoW2 thread flashbacks. Devs stopped posting in that one pretty quick.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Phrosphor posted:

I am getting early DoW2 thread flashbacks. Devs stopped posting in that one pretty quick.

It just seems like every innovation introduced since HW1 is seemingly absent in this - which would be fine for the F2P thing it was originally, but pretty awful for a near-full price genuine Homeworld sequel. It's the Eugen Act of Aggression situation all over again.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jan 19, 2016

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Those who backed then were refunded and got a free copy will get their keys tomorrow (probably): http://forums.blackbirdinteractive.com/forum/deserts-of-kharak/deserts-of-kharak-general-discussion/1349-steam-preload-is-live

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Whats the best source for the Homeworld lore/story? From the Hiigaran Empire, to exiling to Kharak, to the return to Hiigara.

I didn't know Kharak was dying, for instance. I thought they were just given an incredibly lovely planet to live on where the only inhabitable area was a very thin ring at the high latitudes, near the polar caps.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
The manuals are pretty sweet for background stuff, especially the first one. I think it plus some additional artwork is included in the Remastered edition.

I pre-ordered this by the way because hey, 20% off and there's no way Gearbox will release a bad game right? :shepicide:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Soulfucker hasn't gotten smarter since tanks, I see :smug:

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Node posted:

Whats the best source for the Homeworld lore/story? From the Hiigaran Empire, to exiling to Kharak, to the return to Hiigara.

I didn't know Kharak was dying, for instance. I thought they were just given an incredibly lovely planet to live on where the only inhabitable area was a very thin ring at the high latitudes, near the polar caps.
Nope, Kharak was basically on the fasttrack on becoming Arrakis, the Mothership and it's associated orbital scaffolding was a necessity unless the Kushan wanted to face total extinction in a few centuries

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
The original Homeworld manual was like the last of the big printed manuals and went into some sperg detail, and it really didn't help that the various Kiths were big on internecine warfare.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

dogstile posted:

Soulfucker hasn't gotten smarter since tanks, I see :smug:

I'm basically a confirmed retard, since I still hang out @teamspeak so I can listen to GiantHurtBall's idiocy. Speaking of which, how big of a goon presence will this game have?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

DatonKallandor posted:

Uh, as one of those bad at RTS players, no you are wrong.

If the game stops me from building more tanks, I'm not an idiot. I'm not going to totally forget I need tanks, I'll just realize I need to get more resources/might need to build other things to cover while I get those resources. Or I'll view this as a sign I need to ramp up my resource production.

If the game lets me queue up 5 tanks, and I have enough resources for 2 tanks by the time I get them, I'm going to spend the next ten minutes frantically trying to figure out why I'm stuck at 0 resources ( because I sure as hell didn't just queue up those tanks, I queued up a bunch of poo poo. ). Oh wait it's because of those loving tanks, goddamnit, well, I just spent all my resources and now I need to cancel them anyways, and try to desperately reapply those resources into gathering more resources/maybe an AT team cause it's cheap and should hopefully do the job.

Asking a bad player to mentally figure out the costs of not just the first bunch of things he's trying to build ( how much is 10 tanks, well it's xyz, ok, I also need 15 infantry, that'll be xyz, I have xyz, so......how many will be built in what order. ) is impossible. It's a loving nightmare, and if you don't have the economy set up to just pump out units ( hint bad players are bad because they don't build good economies, so this hits them harder then good players ), you'll spend the majority of the match NOT building stuff, because you aren't sure how many resources you actually have to be spending, so you don't want to queue up stuff you'll forget about, since it might eat away at what you have without you noticing.

It's a great improvement for people who are on top of their poo poo RTS style, have a functioning economy strong enough to be building dozens of units at a time, and just want their buildings to be set to queue because they don't need to think about it anymore. But that's not "bad players". For them it just makes the game harder. I could see adding it in as a toggle or something, but then that raises the question of fair competition, etc etc.

Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.

Node posted:

There's a few places, but here's the ones I typically use for sourcing information in my videos.

The Homeworld Digital Artbook (a PDF is included with your purchase of HW:R, and is in the game's root directory) has a ton of information. It is a primary source, and has a ton of information all across the board as well as some pretty sweet artwork.

Second, the "Encyclopaedia Hiigara" is a decent tertiary source. Being a wiki it may have some inaccuracies, but I find it to be pretty on-point.

Third, general lore questions can usually be answered by simply Googling around a bit. There's been quite a bit of discussion on various forums about various Homeworld topics, so if you're lost on something in particular and can't find details, that's always a good fallback. I usually find a lot of answers on the RelicNews forums, which are still fairly active.

Finally, the Homeworld Timeline is a site that's just come up. A guy from reddit named zuffdaddy is working on it. Right now it only really has content up until the start of HW1, but for Kharak-era lore, it isn't bad at all. Plus, it looks great.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Rookersh posted:

If the game stops me from building more tanks, I'm not an idiot. I'm not going to totally forget I need tanks, I'll just realize I need to get more resources/might need to build other things to cover while I get those resources.

Except that's not true and we know that for a fact by looking at RTS that don't let you queue up things you can't afford. Here's a universal truth for those kinds of RTS games: Bad Players float resources. Are you seriously going to claim a system that lets those players automate production of units ("I want to produce THIS whenever I can") is going to hurt them more than it helps them?

Hell watch any Youtuber (or a replay of a low-mid rank ladder match in any RTS) play an RTS and what are you going to see? "I need to build some units" -> spends all money on units -> 1 minute later when they could afford more units they've got a thousand credits in the bank and growing until the next time their army gets destroyed and they remember to build some units. Letting people queue stuff they can't afford lets them float less. If you're assuming they'll be so dumb that they queue up units, their resources hit zero and they then can't understand that they should get more money no amount of simplistic UI is going to save them - if you're going to make a game for them why are you having a resource system in the first place? Go full World in Conflict and everybody will be able to play.

Yes they can screw themselves over if they don't have a good way to get more resources, but that's true of every game that has a resourcing system, no matter how you pay for things in it. Incidentally that's another thing DoK seems to be remarkably backwards on - Relic had figured out post HW2 that having map control tied to resources directly is a much better way to have an RTS economy, especially when your "base" resource is only mildly fluctuating at all (CoH onwards) and specialized resources are out on the field (fuel, munitions, energy, etc.).

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 19, 2016

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm also bad at RTS's and I can confirm that overall I have way less downtime if i'm not automating production because if I do and run out of resources, chances are i've forgotten what i was building and i'm spending ages frantically clicking around trying to find what the gently caress is taking up all my money and no matter how much bold you use isn't going to change that.

I actually find its prioritising resources and not floating resources that's the problem for bad players, but that's another discussion.

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran

DatonKallandor posted:

Except that's not true and we know that for a fact by looking at RTS that don't let you queue up things you can't afford. Here's a universal truth for those kinds of RTS games: Bad Players float resources. Are you seriously going to claim a system that lets those players automate production of units ("I want to produce THIS whenever I can") is going to hurt them more than it helps them?

Hell watch any Youtuber (or a replay of a low-mid rank ladder match in any RTS) play an RTS and what are you going to see? "I need to build some units" -> spends all money on units -> 1 minute later when they could afford more units they've got a thousand credits in the bank and growing until the next time their army gets destroyed and they remember to build some units. Letting people queue stuff they can't afford lets them float less. If you're assuming they'll be so dumb that they queue up units, their resources hit zero and they then can't understand that they should get more money no amount of simplistic UI is going to save them - if you're going to make a game for them why are you having a resource system in the first place? Go full World in Conflict and everybody will be able to play.

Yes they can screw themselves over if they don't have a good way to get more resources, but that's true of every game that has a resourcing system, no matter how you pay for things in it. Incidentally that's another thing DoK seems to be remarkably backwards on - Relic had figured out post HW2 that having map control tied to resources directly is a much better way to have an RTS economy, especially when your "base" resource is only mildly fluctuating at all (CoH onwards) and specialized resources are out on the field (fuel, munitions, energy, etc.).

Also on the list of economy things that Relic figured out and hasn't backed away from in over a decade: Paying for your units up front.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Deakul posted:

The closest I've gotten the aquatic equivalent feeling from is probably Anno 2070 and as a traditional RTS probably Submarine Titans.
It's such a loving cool and untapped part of the world in gaming, atleast in strategy gaming.

Sub titans was baller, I still have my original disc somewhere.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Fanart from the discord server/chat:
:3:

And a parody of an Arakkis travel posters for Dune

Edit: Overview of the Coalition Faction (goodguys, totally not GDI) was just posted by BBI.
http://blackbirdinteractive.com/2016/01/19/coalition-faction-overview/

drunkill fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 19, 2016

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I've read the last few posts but I still haven't figured out the answer to this: Will there be an autobuild option in DoK? Can I build a unit, and then set it to continue building as I have the resources?

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
My video of the game is now https://youtu.be/bqxx7xcjoQ8

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

illectro posted:

How heavy is it on spoilers?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Iglocska posted:

How heavy is it on spoilers?

Looks to be the intro mission shown in most previews from what I watched

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

illectro posted:

Gotta admit, just being able to hear the game audio and voice work, instead of some incessant blathering, managed to make me feel a lot better about the game.

• Locked thread